Naming your style

Posted by: BrianS

Naming your style - 01/10/08 07:29 PM

What would you name your style if you created one? Based on combining the experience in the various arts you have plus whatever else you have learned.

"Brian S.- Fighting Method."

"Uni-te, uni do, or uni ryu,lol"

Posted by: butterfly

Re: Naming your style - 01/10/08 07:44 PM

Stew-fu? A bit of this and a bit of that. A dab will do you, just add your own seasoning....

Re: Naming your style - 01/10/08 07:53 PM

Tae Ashi Do!!

Tae Hara Do!!

Butterfly57
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Naming your style - 01/10/08 08:13 PM

"Wii-Kan-Do"

it's a new style I made ...certifiable dan rank course signed by Nin-ten-do.
Posted by: WuXing

Re: Naming your style - 01/10/08 08:16 PM

Shaolin matsu wu ji quan do *lol*
Jim Do or Jim Quan.

3 Dogs and 3 Cats Fist Style. The key element in this training is having the aforementioned number of animals harassing you while you are practicing.
Posted by: IExcalibui2

Re: Naming your style - 01/11/08 12:43 AM

probably something like Luk Ga Kuen or just call it Arthur's fighting method
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: Naming your style - 01/11/08 07:14 AM

'Kasui Kuen'

Justaddwater Fist.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Naming your style - 01/11/08 07:22 AM

Lau'd - Garment. A kung fu style reliant on wearing hawaian shirts and bermuda shorts to perplex and upset the enemy.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Naming your style - 01/11/08 07:37 AM

cord, good idea...can I also recommend wearing this during the summer:
http://planetsave.com/files/2007/08/russian-hat-guy.JPG
Posted by: BodhiHuss

Re: Naming your style - 01/11/08 07:44 AM

Quote:

3 Dogs and 3 Cats Fist Style. The key element in this training is having the aforementioned number of animals harassing you while you are practicing.

Holy crap! I trained in that style for years. We should organize a seminar.
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: Naming your style - 01/11/08 07:50 AM

Northern KenJuTaeSil-Do or (borrowing a concept from Brad) Gumbo-Do
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Naming your style - 01/11/08 08:01 AM

Well I've tried this two times.

When I began teaching Isshinryu I choose to call my program 'Bushi No Te Isshinryu' choosing the Funakoshi older term for karate. Later I was in a group called 'Bushi No Te'.

When I trained with Ernest Rothrock and was studying Tai Chi Chaun, Northern Shaolin, Northern Mantis and Northern Eagle Claw I playfully named my studies 'Northern Tai Eagle'. Even made the two of us T-shirts with the name.

Re: Naming your style - 01/11/08 11:15 AM

Quote:

Ernest Rothrock

Any relation to Cynthia? If so, did you meet her? If so, was she a hot as she looked in China O'Brien?
Posted by: oldman

Re: Naming your style - 01/11/08 11:29 AM

Toon Ryu.

Re: Naming your style - 01/11/08 11:33 AM

Quote:

Toon Ryu.

That is the ancient art of football hooliganism as practiced in Newcastle, UK

Re: Naming your style - 01/11/08 11:34 AM

Cynthia is his ex-wife.

I first competed against her when I was a brown belt and the only weapons division was mixed rank. I then began study of Yang Tai Chi Chaun with Ernest and later the study of other systems to become a fair judge. At times I would give Cynthia a lift home from tournaments, and remember even judging her one time (I believe I gave her a 10 for her performance).

Later she went on the national circuit and then divorced Ernset, but kept the name.

Because of many issues I will not offer personal observations on Cynthia. She was a talented technician in the early to mid 80's, there after moving on to the movies.

But remember movies are not reality.
Posted by: Blackrainbow

Re: Naming your style - 01/11/08 11:54 AM

My wife warned me when I first met her that she was a grandmaster in an ancient Sicilian martial art practiced for over 2000 years by ordinary housewives. It's called throwing boiling water. I never tested her.
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Naming your style - 01/11/08 12:01 PM

Connected with BR's wife's secret training, something I learned not to mention to my wife when she had a "fix it" request: The fine art of No-Kan-do.....
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: Naming your style - 01/11/08 01:00 PM

Quote:

Connected with BR's wife's secret training, something I learned not to mention to my wife when she had a "fix it" request: The fine art of No-Kan-do.....

But many are 3rd Dan or higher in its sister art...Hun-Nhee-Doo.

Re: Naming your style - 01/11/08 01:05 PM

My wife started training very shortly after I did. With her phys ed background she learned Isshinryu faster than anyone I've ever seen. (Her volleyball league was much tougher contact than any full contact karate match.). She trained or didn't as her schedule allowed. Eventually she taught alongside me for 10 years, then got involved with soccer and ended up on the NH Soccer committee for 5 years.

18 years ago she took a 9 month seminar on tai chi and Chin Na with Dr. Yang Jwing Ming. When she got home from her chin na practices she'd practice on me asking me to grab her.

You have no idea what pain the finger chin na can do until you're on the receiving end. Totally unreal.

But her true self defense skills (often used in the teaching career for special needs adults) came from her Water Safety instructor back in high school. He was a WWII combat vet and taught lifeguarding from the approach they're trying to kill you and you have to deal with that before you you can save them.

My wife doesn't need style names, she's just plain tough when she needs to be......

Ouch!
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Naming your style - 01/11/08 01:08 PM

I am currently finalzing a syllabus for my own art:

Yu Don No Wata Fu Kyu Do
Posted by: iaibear

Re: Naming your style - 01/11/08 02:32 PM

Quote:

Lau'd - Garment. A kung fu style reliant on wearing hawaian shirts and bermuda shorts to perplex and upset the enemy.

Would that be "hide in plain sight" or "entrapment"?

Re: Naming your style - 01/12/08 05:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Would that be "hide in plain sight" or "entrapment"?

The idea is that when accosted by a mugger, you fling off a dull coloured coat to reveal a mismatch of colours so bright, so horrible, that they simply stand aghast at you dress sense. This often leads to them giving you money out of pity for a new wardrobe.
Posted by: kempo_jujitsu

Re: Naming your style - 01/13/08 04:06 AM

Hapki-kempo-jutsu ..simple and direct. or..whatever my teacher called it.
Posted by: JoshuaMonjin

Re: Naming your style - 01/17/08 03:01 PM

Discojutsu. The art and science of boogy.
"Through analysis of thousands of recorded dances, the Discojutsuka has determined that the geometric distribution of antagonists on any dance floor is a statistically-predictable element. The Discojutsu Kata treats the dancer as a total package, each fluid position representing a maximum boogy zone, inflicting funkifacation on the maximum number of other dancers, while keeping the DJ practitioner clear of the statistically-traditional trajectories of other dancers enabling them to move across the dance floor with ease and extra coolness. By the rote mastery of this art, your dancing efficiency will rise by no less than 120%. The difference of a 63% increased dancing proficiency makes the master of the Discojutsu a dancer not to be taken lightly.
With apologies to the genius Kurt Wimmer and the movie Equilibrium.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Naming your style - 01/17/08 04:19 PM

Victors quote - My wife doesn't need style names, she's just plain tough when she needs to be......

If the term Master means performing amazing feats and enduring things that man finds impossible. My wife is a Master of mircles, as a matter of fact most women are.

I experience a tramatic even along with my wife I was almost taken out, I almost lost it. It was one of the most painful and bloodiest events of my life to watch, just the memory of it brings back shear agony and nightmears if it was I in those striups,instead of. I know I would die and not survive menatlly or physical. This mind bloogling event of actually watching someone body being torn in half. I was a eye witness to this, it was very humblingly.

I know that no man, no matter how tough could survive this and live or even walk again. I was only 24 yrs old when I witness this and I was almost TKO'd sitting there with the Doctor catching my oldest son during child birth.

Women are some tough miraculous, loving and almost Terminator II machines, they can be torn open and healed back up.

And still they want to love you 3 to 6 months later. If someone help do that to me, I'd never forgive them and be crazy after enduring that pain and probably dead.

I bow down to there superior physical and mental make up, when it comes to handling pain.

My style is the style of fighting w/o fainting.

You made me look kune do.

Re: Naming your style - 01/17/08 06:42 PM

Women are evil, they can bleed for a week and NOT DIE!!!

Posted by: puffadder

Re: Naming your style - 01/18/08 08:25 AM

Just talk your way out of it with tongue-fu.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: Naming your style - 01/18/08 11:27 AM

Hello Soke Brian:

Been thinking of it for a while now, what to call "it" that won't give away my ~true~ ulterior intentions. What would I call a newly invented style...

Are you seeking mischief here or an earnest name?

Jeff
Posted by: tccw83

Re: Naming your style - 01/18/08 12:28 PM

i'll name my style 'Total combat technique'
and people can remember it in short as TCT.

but using a jap or chinese name is more marketable nowadays
Posted by: floatfishski

Re: Naming your style - 01/19/08 03:51 PM

Bilabial Fricative - mine will kill anything. Chemical warfare works I tell ya.
Posted by: Dobbersky

Re: Naming your style - 01/22/08 08:26 AM

Dobbersky-Ryu (I though of KenDo but its already been used) will comence from March 08. All you need is the T-shirt and the photos, and a few postcards to master the art. Oh and a few videos too.

I have to chuckle at some of the names. Sei do Kan, Ken Shin Do and a few others are popular and most are not related in any way shape or form to each other.

Osu
Posted by: Anirudh

Re: Naming your style - 01/22/08 08:48 AM

Mine would probably be "I Kan Do"...
Anirudh