a little scared?

Posted by: karate_popo

a little scared? - 12/08/07 11:42 AM

ok, so on wednesday in class, i got punched in the head.. this was nothing that i could've avoided, since we were not sparring, i was not supposed to block.. it was defensive tactics, so i was the attacker and this guy blocked me and accidentally made contact with my temple. now it wasn't full force, but it still hurt.. now is it normal to still have a little headache 4 days later.. ?.. like i didn't fall down when it happened.. i just had to kneel down for a minute, cuz i was dizzy, but no more dizzy, just a little headache and i think i have a small bruise.. .. so should i have any worries?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: a little scared? - 12/08/07 12:07 PM

It's possible that you may have a concussion. I wouldn't think you would still have any significant pain after 4 days. The main thing with concussions is let it heal.

See your doctor ASAP.

Re: a little scared? - 12/08/07 12:11 PM

see thing is, i dont' have a doctor.. well not in the city.. i have no funds.. no insurance.. i could go when i go upstate on wed, but that is wed... so?. ..

Re: a little scared? - 12/08/07 12:22 PM

Check here for help:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/hia/html/public_insurance/enroll.shtml
Posted by: shills11

Re: a little scared? - 12/08/07 12:25 PM

I got punched in the eye in sparring and had a thumping headache for 2 weeks, at the time i went to the hospitail who x rayed it and found my sinus to be full of blood which gave me toothache and earache and a sinus headache, 2 weeks later I went back since the pain was still there and the doctor said to leave it another 10 days! and she was right.

Head injurys cant be taken lightley you have to see someone just incase

Re: a little scared? - 12/08/07 12:26 PM

so you actually think there is a problem.. ?.. i mean i checked online, doesn't seem to be that much of a problem.. what can you tell me from experience.. something that happened to you..?

Re: a little scared? - 12/08/07 12:36 PM

Quote:

so you actually think there is a problem.. ?.. i mean i checked online, doesn't seem to be that much of a problem.. what can you tell me from experience.. something that happened to you..?

I don't know if it's a problem or not. But it could be. That's why I would like to see you get a professional opinion on it.

Re: a little scared? - 12/08/07 12:39 PM

well my roomate works at a doctors office, does that count?..lol.. seriously.. and i emailed my sensei. he doesn't seem concerned so i guess that is a hint eh?
Posted by: MattyChi

Re: a little scared? - 12/08/07 12:47 PM

I'm sure you are fine, even if it is a minor concussion, all they are gonna tell you is to give it some more time

Re: a little scared? - 12/08/07 12:58 PM

yeah i was gonna go for some extra hours at my job, but i think i'll just take the day off and rest..
Posted by: shadowkahn

Re: a little scared? - 12/08/07 03:47 PM

well the first problem is that you're knowingly in a fighting class without medical insurance. Things happen. Injuries suck, especially if you can't get them looked at. A concussion this time. A torn shoulder muscle next. You don't want to end up with an injury that debilitates you unnecessarilly just because you couldn't afford to get it treated.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: a little scared? - 12/08/07 04:11 PM

yeah, having no insurance might be a bad thing for a martial art. But don't just blow this off like no big deal cuz you have no isurance. It might just be a big deal, but you should seriously have it checked out.

I had a relative have a headache for 2 weeks and it ended when the Aneurysm bust in his head. Granted this is an extreme case but you don't want to take chances with your head or any other part of your body...

Please seek help. I am sure there are lot of places that might not require insurance...

Re: a little scared? - 12/08/07 04:59 PM

i'm gonna give it one more day, and then if it still hurts.. i'll go to one of those clinics in nyc, they are cheap.. i been to this one before.. good doctors
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: a little scared? - 12/09/07 12:03 AM

NYC Free Clinics

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=NYC+"free+clinic"
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: a little scared? - 12/09/07 12:07 AM

Quote:

i mean i checked online, doesn't seem to be that much of a problem..

I always look to the internet for important medical advice.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: a little scared? - 12/09/07 08:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

i mean i checked online, doesn't seem to be that much of a problem..

I always look to the internet for important medical advice.

Me too.

Re: a little scared? - 12/09/07 10:14 AM

you'd be suprised the things you can find on the internet....
Posted by: VDJ

Re: a little scared? - 12/09/07 10:32 AM

Quote:

you'd be suprised the things you can find on the internet....

No, we wouldn't be surprised at all. The SURPRISING thing is that people actually try to diagnose their symptoms from it and think they have found the answer. Go to the ER, you CANNOT be refused medical attention for not having insurance or your ability to pay. Most hospitals have some kind of assistance program and being in NYC, one of the MOST socially asissted cities in the country, you should have no problem getting a REAL diagnosis. Don't play with your health, it may be nothing, but then again ????????

VDJ

Re: a little scared? - 12/09/07 11:32 AM

true.. but i talked to a senior student in my class and he said iw ill be ok, also my sgt who is am emt...and i gave it another day and i don't have a headahce anymore.. it's not that i don't have insurance and don't think they will accept me.. it's that afterwards at some point i would've had to pay...

Re: a little scared? - 12/09/07 12:53 PM

your senior student? He have medical degree? Did the EMT do a CAT scan, etc? Emt, are good, but...

Kids these days..Yes eventually you would have to pay, but is forking out some money later worth your health now?

SGT? Military? Police? If you have a sgt sounds like u have a job. And you still don't have insurance?

Re: a little scared? - 12/09/07 01:07 PM

sgt. auxiliary police. volunteer, nypd.. no money.. part time job, trying to get on as the real thing...yes i know i'm stubborn.. but these people have experience.. i didn't get hit that hard and they know that.. i explained everything.. i'm ok.. thanks for concern!
Posted by: TKD-Skippi

Re: a little scared? - 12/09/07 04:28 PM

unless your having trouble focusing (your eyes) and suffering from bad bouts of bad dizziness i wouldn't worry to much. A friend of mine got hit in the head by a digger knocked him flat on his back and he was fine. Odds are u have some soft tissue bruising in the temple are.

Re: a little scared? - 12/09/07 04:35 PM

yeah another reason i didn't seek help, my best friend fell down the steps last month and even though yelled at her to go to doctor, cuz she hit head, she didn't, same reason as me..and she had headache for a week...and my headache lasted like 4 days.. i be good now.. and the only reason i trusted the internet was cuz it had similar info, to what my friends had told me...

Re: a little scared? - 12/09/07 06:15 PM

I hear all that and glad you think you are okay. But everyone is different....Just cuz one is fine dont' mean you are..but good luck and be careful...

Re: a little scared? - 12/09/07 06:45 PM

thanks for all your help....