Derren Brown One Inch Punch

Posted by: MiSt

Derren Brown One Inch Punch - 11/06/07 02:36 PM

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/67471/derren_brown_kung_fu_mind_punch/

Some of you guys might find this quite interesting :-)

Btw: Derren Brown does not pretend to be some sort of 'mystic', everything he does is perfectly explainable by Science. Most of his tricks seem to be a combination of things, on youtube you can see some of his work anaylsed which should give you an idea of where he's comming from (for example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybmOlQRuaYM ) but sadly not this. Enjoy.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Derren Brown One Inch Punch - 11/06/07 02:42 PM

Garbage, like all the others.

Re: Derren Brown One Inch Punch - 11/06/07 03:16 PM

Yes, but thats the point

Re: Derren Brown One Inch Punch - 11/06/07 03:18 PM

What I'm getting at is I remember some other videos posted with similar stuff, but seeing Derren Brown do it makes it slightly clearer as to *how* its done. IMO.
Posted by: VDJ

Re: Derren Brown One Inch Punch - 11/06/07 04:10 PM

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH! Please make them stop! My mind can't take anymore of this abuse! O.K. I have to ask, Has ANYBODY on this forum EVER, been hit, hurt or KO'd by any of these kinds of practioners ? I came across one once and I asked him to demonstrate on me after he showed me his "Power" on one of his students. He told me that I would get seriously hurt because I hadn't had the proper training. I wonder if he REALLY meant that I didn't buy into his B.S. Well excuse me now while I go bend a spoon !

VDJ

Re: Derren Brown One Inch Punch - 11/06/07 05:17 PM

Your clearly missing my point, Derren Brown is a showman, who uses a good knowledge of physiology to achive such things as this. He is in no way a Martial Artists or such, and is not selling such things as a 'technique' to defend yourself with. But comming from him I think its an interesting insight into how such things 'work' (even in a controlled enviroment a grown man is still collapsing against his will) and I just thought this might answer some questions as to how its done. I'm in no way saying it would work in a self-defence situation, I don't beleive it would in the slightest but I'm still interested in how it can be demonstarted at all.
Posted by: VDJ

Re: Derren Brown One Inch Punch - 11/06/07 05:40 PM

Quote:

Your clearly missing my point, Derren Brown is a showman, who uses a good knowledge of physiology to achive such things as this. He is in no way a Martial Artists or such, and is not selling such things as a 'technique' to defend yourself with. But comming from him I think its an interesting insight into how such things 'work' (even in a controlled enviroment a grown man is still collapsing against his will) and I just thought this might answer some questions as to how its done. I'm in no way saying it would work in a self-defence situation, I don't beleive it would in the slightest but I'm still interested in how it can be demonstarted at all.

No I am not "Missing the point". How how do you know that the grown man is "Collapsing against his will" ? This comment proves my point exactly. Has it EVER been done to you ? Just because its on video doesn't mean it ACTUALLY happened. As I stated above, when I asked the guy to demonstrate on me (a student of George Dillman), I am told that he can't for some silly reason. If I'm willing to risk my body to be convinced, why should he refuse ? Just because Derren Brown gives an explanation (and is it scientific FACT or Consensus like Global Warming, consensus is NOT actual science), what makes it more real than someone else passing it off as ? Like mattJ said, still the same garbage !

VDJ
Posted by: Cord

Re: Derren Brown One Inch Punch - 11/06/07 11:18 PM

What Derren Brown does in his shows is to use many psychological techniques, including NLP and other forms of suggestion to effectively 'hack' the participants brain. Rather than pass it off as magic, explaining how he does it makes it all the more remarkable and clever.
I believe Mist posted this to show that with the right profile of Uke, and the right environment and precursors in place, many 'phenomena' passed off as MA (ntko, 1 inch punch, etc) do have precedent when put in this non MA context.
Now if one were to have the luxury of choosing the psychological type of the mugger who was to attack you, and they gave you 10-20 mins of time to plant some subconcious triggers in their pysche, then such techniques could have fantastic results in 'teh str33t' as it is this thread was not posted as advocating MA party tricks, merely to throw some light on the real psychology that hides behind the mysticism of MA's interperetation of such techniques.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Derren Brown One Inch Punch - 11/07/07 07:47 AM

...which is why a little analysis goes a long way, as oppossed to just blankly accepting. people seem to get angry when their deception is brought to light....especially those that are duped over a long period of time and have much invested in the deception.

Re: Derren Brown One Inch Punch - 11/07/07 11:59 AM

Cord gets me :-)
Posted by: steelwater

Re: Derren Brown One Inch Punch - 11/07/07 02:30 PM

I get you. Derren Brown is a remarkable performer, and I wish he would bring one of his shows to the U.S.
Posted by: aplant

Re: Derren Brown One Inch Punch - 05/30/13 01:44 PM

Self defence information from Derren Brown comes in useful for this chap:

http://blogs.denmark.dk/matt/2013/05/29/a-war-of-words/
Posted by: Dobbersky

Re: Derren Brown One Inch Punch - 06/10/13 09:31 AM

Awesome, I want to give up what I'm doing and study with Brown Sifu.
Man he's even more lethal than Master Ken
Posted by: aplant

Re: Derren Brown One Inch Punch - 06/12/13 08:53 AM

I think he does a good job at highlighting the 'no touch' KO and Dim Mak type stuff.

I think it is still quite widely practiced.