How young is too young?

Posted by: Blackrainbow

How young is too young? - 10/26/07 11:47 AM

I have two new potential students. Chance is a young man about 10 days old. He's very enthusiatic. Joshua was born this past Thursday. He's a little more laid back. Two new grandsons and what MA should I start them in ?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: How young is too young? - 10/26/07 11:58 AM

Congrats! I vote GYMKATA!!!!
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: How young is too young? - 10/26/07 12:28 PM

Seeing as how for the next several months they will be on their backs anyway, how about BJJ? Great time to start work on the guard.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: How young is too young? - 10/26/07 02:35 PM

Congradulations! (Two new grandchildren, born days apart must have been one heck of a party... )

They can start martial arts at ANY age, but will solely receive the FLAVOR, a hint, a taste of the larger picture older children can access. 4-5 would be the earliest I can conceive any attempt.

Start with dance/a basic gymnastics classes... when they are excited, (and you think able...) Judo is my vote. Balance, strength, wrestling all rolled into one. Ideal, IMHO-fwiw.

Jeff
Posted by: shills11

Re: How young is too young? - 10/26/07 05:39 PM

you should steer them well away from that art "cryosleep"
its were they are actually asleep but manage to cry their heart out in the middle of the night and drive their parents mental, very effective.
Posted by: matchhead_jack

Re: How young is too young? - 10/26/07 05:45 PM

Youngest Karateka I've Seen

This is the youngest karateka I've seen. His moves look a little more JKD than karate though. Congratulations
Posted by: BrianS

Re: How young is too young? - 10/26/07 06:24 PM

They should have already been practicing sanchin kata in the womb. Why are you waiting so late to start them?

Posted by: Saisho

Re: How young is too young? - 10/26/07 09:46 PM

If you get a chance, let Taba Sensei know. He was excited to hear that my wife was about 5-6 months along. He wants to see her when he is here.
Posted by: trevek

Re: How young is too young? - 10/26/07 11:47 PM

Congratulations.

I'd suggest BJJ because they are naturally going to go through a stage of rolling on the floor and getting people to come to them.
Posted by: iaibear

Re: How young is too young? - 10/27/07 11:33 AM

At their present age diaper fu is very effective. You might discover they are naturals.

Congratulations
Posted by: Blackrainbow

Re: How young is too young? - 10/29/07 08:36 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions folks. Matt--I knew that would come back to haunt me. Both of the moms have informed grandpa that they seem to have been practicing quite regularly while waiting to come into the world. That makes a total of 8 grandkids. On the way to a new dojo maybe.
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: How young is too young? - 10/29/07 09:18 AM

I agree. Diaper fu is very powerful; it can back off the toughest man. They just don't want to deal with that %$#@