Most important for self defense?

Posted by: MattJ

Most important for self defense? - 10/13/07 09:37 AM

Having skills and being able to draw upon them in time of need are facets of effective self defense. What specifically do you think is most important to be able to resolve a SD situation? I have listed a few, but feel free to post others, and explain why.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: Most important for self defense? - 10/13/07 10:06 AM

Good Morning Matt:

AWARENESS, being aware is the most important element. Avoid the avoidable; avoid the places, people where problems are known & common events...

If WE are the ~problem~ ie that our so called friends are typically the instigators of "situations", we need new friends. If we always attract the problems in some manner we must consider what actions, attitudes of ours are the catalysts. If I wait until a problem is already hitting me, then I 1,000% failed to perceive the problem. If it becomes physical, I have missed endless levels to prevent it.
"... this clown is insanely drunk, a bully, etc... need to avoid him, he wants trouble..."

J
Posted by: WhiteDragon11

Re: Most important for self defense? - 10/13/07 10:40 AM

Matt,
Thats a tough poll. I really couldnt answer due to I do not know what is most important. I cant just pick one answer, because you need all of those in the long run.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Most important for self defense? - 10/13/07 11:02 AM

Quote:

Matt,
Thats a tough poll. I really couldnt answer due to I do not know what is most important. I cant just pick one answer, because you need all of those in the long run.

You are not limited to one choice in the poll. Pick whatever elements you think are most important.
Posted by: WhiteDragon11

Re: Most important for self defense? - 10/13/07 01:23 PM

Sorry Matt, read over that part.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Most important for self defense? - 10/13/07 04:26 PM

I chose every one of them on the list.
Posted by: fileboy2002

Re: Most important for self defense? - 10/13/07 05:49 PM

More than 25 years martial arts experience has convinced me what you call "pressure training" is THE key to martial arts effectiveness. Most martial arts have a decent number of strong techniques and tactics. But unless one regularly trains under realistic conditions. none of it means anything.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Most important for self defense? - 10/14/07 01:06 AM

De-escalation/avoidance. If you don't have the ability to at least handle the first stage of violence, things will likely spiral out of your control. Prevention is better than cure.

N.B. This doesn't mean that you shouldn't train other facets of self defense, it just means that you should learn de-escalation/avoidance, no matter whatever else you know already.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Most important for self defense? - 10/14/07 01:30 AM

All of those awareness and groundfighting. And being able to run briskly.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Most important for self defense? - 10/14/07 09:37 AM

Quote:

More than 25 years martial arts experience has convinced me what you call "pressure training" is THE key to martial arts effectiveness. Most martial arts have a decent number of strong techniques and tactics. But unless one regularly trains under realistic conditions. none of it means anything.

BINGO!
Posted by: Cord

Re: Most important for self defense? - 10/14/07 11:28 AM

I ticked all apart from the special techniques. if you have good communication/diplomatic skills, are fit and strong and able to keep your mind working in a bad situation, then it doesnt matter if you have been learning eye gouges or a stiff left cross, whatever you have trained with resistance will work for you- no such thing as a 'magic' technique IMO
Posted by: Reiki

Re: Most important for self defense? - 10/15/07 07:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

BINGO!

and a bit of dirty fighting like an eyegouge never goes amiss either.
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: Most important for self defense? - 10/16/07 09:01 AM

I chose mental/emotional control and avoidance. Just yesterday I ran into someone who was totally out of control angry. Yes, I could have smacked him around, but I didn't have to; my reaction was not returned anger but amazement at how he blew up over nothing, and pity. His life must be a living hell for him to be carrying that rage around.
Posted by: drgndrew

Re: Most important for self defense? - 10/17/07 06:19 AM

I chose the bottom three
the actual techniques used is irrelevant, and anyone regardless of there attributes can defend themselves

by far from my experience and research, the mental and emotion aspect is probably the most influential in surviving a physical attack, the avoidance and de-escalation skills will enable you to control the lead up to and the prevention of physical violence and the pressure test enables you to figure out what works for you plus provides some helpful familiarity with performing under stress.

Awareness should be included as well, as it is the fundamental element (the cornerstone) of self protection, awareness alone can stop you being chosen in the first place and provides you with a knowledge of what's happening

Thats My thoughts anyway
<edited because my spolling is bid>