Crosstraining poll

Posted by: Supremor

Crosstraining poll - 10/11/07 05:49 PM

Something came to me while replying to something on the TKD forum. I want to do some research to find out whether there is a higher amount of strikers crosstraining in grappling or the other way around. So, the poll, which I'm sure is by no means adequate for you to answer as you really want to, which is what the textual response is for!
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Crosstraining poll - 10/11/07 07:44 PM

Yes. Striking to grappling.
Posted by: Taison

Re: Crosstraining poll - 10/12/07 02:11 AM

Striking to grappling.

-Taison out

Re: Crosstraining poll - 10/12/07 06:03 AM

striking to grappling here too.
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: Crosstraining poll - 10/12/07 07:56 AM

I started going from striking to striking. I went from TKD to Kung Fu. Once I got a taste that there were other arts out their with different focus, I cross trained a little more but once again went from Kung Fu to AKK.

With the impact the UFC had, I then tried to pick up as much BJJ as I could. Now, all I pretty much do is cross train(I get disapproving looks from my Sah Bum Nim for doing it too).
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Crosstraining poll - 10/12/07 07:59 AM

Our program integrates both aspects simultaneously.

Initially however, it was striking to grappling (speaking for myself, going back to the beginning).

-John
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Crosstraining poll - 10/12/07 12:40 PM

You didn't include any weapon arts.

I trained w/ the Gracies in 1994. I also trained Arnis w/ one of Bustillio's students 1992. I had some Shorinji Kempo from 1986-? under one of Doshin So's students.
Posted by: iaibear

Re: Crosstraining poll - 10/12/07 02:08 PM

Iaido and Aikido. Neither really fits on the list.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Crosstraining poll - 10/12/07 04:33 PM

Striking to putting my oponent in recovery position
Posted by: bo-ken

Re: Crosstraining poll - 10/12/07 05:58 PM

Striking to grappling and striking to striking. I trained with a few boxers for awhile to work on my hands and Started in TKD and switched to Shotokan. I always was learning grappling in my Shotokan school but now I do a lot more of it. I love throwing people and am learning how to fight in a clinch. I am pretty much just training differently now that I have a school.

Re: Crosstraining poll - 10/12/07 06:12 PM

Quote:

You didn't include any weapon arts.

I knew I'd get something wrong, so what can I say except sorry!

On a more positive note, have a look at the responses so far for the second question. Interesting eh? Striking to Grappling far outweighsw any other response. Any body want to give a reason?
Posted by: Taison

Re: Crosstraining poll - 10/13/07 01:48 AM

I got totally owned by a grappler.

Landed one kick, then it I got thrown, and I was put into a position I have never experienced before;

Underneath him, with him sitting on my chest, me fighting for air, and him going for an ude-garami.

Worse experience EVER in my whole MA life.

So, can't beat them, join them.

-Taison out
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Crosstraining poll - 10/13/07 01:52 AM

Striking to grappling here too.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Crosstraining poll - 10/13/07 05:54 PM

Supremor, I had to put "no" as my answer and did not add to the second part of the poll. Our system includes it all so I haven't personally gone out to "crosstrain". Even for my Instructor his initial training included both as his was TKD and Hapkido blended. But if I really had to get at the meat of things, it would be from a striking art to a grappling art.