Karate Kid Remake...

Posted by: Prizewriter

Karate Kid Remake... - 10/05/07 05:09 PM

Ok this may be more at home in the Movies section of the forums, so feel free to move it mods. I posted this here as everyman and his dog has seen The Karate Kid, and whether you like it or not, it was one of the most (if not the most) watched martial arts film of the last 25 years.

The Karate Kid is being remade. That's right folks, they are doing it again:

http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/art...0remake_1045714

At first glance this may not mean much to most, but I have read some posts by folks about the good/bad things the origianl Karate Kid did for Martial arts, particularly Karate.

Maybe a whole new generation of kids about to pester their parents to bring them to Krotty class to learn Crane Kick.......

Posted by: BrianS

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/05/07 05:14 PM

Woo hoo!!
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/05/07 05:16 PM

"No can defense".
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/05/07 05:31 PM

Well I grew up on the Karate Kid and the odd time it is on I will watch it and remember the good old days.

"Mercy is for the weak" - Cobra Ki
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/05/07 06:53 PM

Nope. My fav... "any advice?" "No get hit."

Words to live by.

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/05/07 06:57 PM

Quote:

Maybe a whole new generation of kids about to pester their parents to bring them to Krotty class to learn Crane Kick.......

Too funny. I actually had a friend try that thing on me when he learned I was studying. I loved it. He must have not "do right" cuz I absolutely could defense. In fact, it helped my offense... really easy to throw someone who voluntarily takes both feet off the ground, and does it very badly.

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/05/07 07:02 PM

"Sweep the leg!" "Yeah Johnny!! He's going down!! Yeah!"

Cobra Kai Forever!!!!!
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/05/07 07:19 PM

I just might see it.

It's a good thing Ralph Macchio isn't playing the lead, have you seen how he's let himself go?

Who's going to play Mr. Miyagi? Now that Pat Morita is dead (rest his soul), who can play the part of the wise old man.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/05/07 07:24 PM

You know...I bought it to share with my kids...and was a little disenchanted. It was so...cheesy...so...'80's. And now that I know a little about karate...the karate is downright...embarrassing.
Posted by: Kimo2007

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/05/07 07:26 PM

"Mr Miyagi, if I fight in that tournament I'll get killed!"

-"either way, problem solve"

or

"Ahh Danielson now you use head for something other then target"

Elizebeth Shue...in a plaid skirt-Can I get an AMEN!~

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/05/07 07:29 PM

Let's see... It's Will Smith directing right? So, how about the villian from "The Last Dragon"?

Sorry, first thing that popped into my head.(getting late in the day, I'm gettin screen-fryed) That's the real problem with remaking movies that everyone knows so well: how do you replace a character like that? You can't. At best, you can hope for a different concept somewhere that makes replacing him unnecessary. But I don't see how to do that here.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/05/07 07:41 PM

As long as the karate remains realistic (Okinawan), I'm OK w/ it - even looking forward to it. But, according to further copy, Jackie Chan will play Miyagi.

As much as I like JC, he's no Pat Morita. Morita will always be Miyagi.

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/05/07 07:47 PM

Yeah, don't buy it. Part of what made Morita great at it was you never expected by looking at him there was any martial knowledge there. It was kind of a surprise in the original. With Jackie Chan, everyone already knows him for his MA ability so I don't see it having nearly the same effect. Not that he can't do the job, just don't see it stacking up in the same way to the original. I wonder if he still remembers how to play a straight role w/o the intermittant physical comedy. Not saying he can't do it, just not sure it'll work.
Posted by: VDJ

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/05/07 08:57 PM

When was the last time ANY remake was better than the original, or any sequel for that matter ?! The only thing worse is when they take a good book and hack it up for a movie. Can anybody say "Donnie Brasco"?

VDJ
Posted by: sophia73

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/08/07 04:06 AM

JMWcorwin
Quote:

Let's see... It's Will Smith directing right? So, how about the villian from "The Last Dragon"?

Do you mean 'Sho-nuff'?

I can't wait to see it (Will Smith ) but it won't give me the same feeling as the original... ahh those fond nostalgic memories of being young and believing in the Crane kick lol
Posted by: Cord

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/08/07 06:57 AM

Quote:

according to further copy, Jackie Chan will play Miyagi.

'Kung-Fu Kid' ?

If this remake is going to stand any chance at all, they need Sonny Chiba as the Miyagi character. Even then, i fear this update like Kate Moss fears cake

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/08/07 08:49 AM

Quote:

Even then, i fear this update like Kate Moss fears cake

ROFL
Posted by: budobrubbie

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/08/07 09:00 AM

I'm not looking forward to the remake. Like VDJ said, no remake or sequel ever matches the excitement of the original. What actor could replicate the warmth and wisdom of Mr. Miyagi? Pat Morita had very little training prior to making the film, and yet he came across as a legitimate martial artist, and a heart-warming character. Besides, that was the era of the "feel-good" movie, and the mindset of the country has changed considerably since then. No doubt that Karate Kid was the reason many of us began training in the martial arts, and it's a shame that someone has to go and mess with that. What's next, are they re-making Enter The Dragon, too? Guess I've officially crossed the boundary into "old-guy" territory.
Posted by: Dobbersky

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/08/07 09:23 AM

Guys, I completely Agree, if this is to be a Karate Kid remake it needs to be a Karateka based movie. I agree that it should be Sonny Chiba (The Streetfighter Trilogy) to play the role, Jackie Chan is an Excellent Martial Artist but we would get a Karateka to play Bruce Lee. There's plenty of Young Talent out there who would be able to give a excellent Daniel-san who have a Karate back ground

Although Some Films should never be remade

Osu

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/08/07 09:38 AM

Quote:

What's next, are they re-making Enter The Dragon, too? Guess I've officially crossed the boundary into "old-guy" territory.

Ehhhh......

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/film/story/2007/08/16/dragon-film.html

"Warner Bros. has asked The Shield producer Kurt Sutter to write and direct a remake of the 1973 Bruce Lee classic Enter the Dragon.

Sutter has been writer, producer and even actor in the Golden Globe-winner TV series The Shield, which follows life inside a Los Angeles police precinct.

The late martial arts movie star Bruce Lee, seen in 1973.
(Columbia Pictures/Associated Press) The new film, to be called Awaken the Dragon, will tell the story of an agent investigating a Shaolin monk and underground kung fu clubs, according to Warner Bros. publicist Laura Kim, who announced the movie Thursday in Hong Kong.

There was no news on casting choices or the shooting schedule.

The original Enter the Dragon, the first U.S.-produced martial arts film, starred Lee as an agent infiltrating a crime syndicate by taking part in an invitational martial arts competition.

The crime lord is a renegade Shaolin monk and, like Lee, trained in the famed Chinese martial arts tradition.

The non-stop action of Enter the Dragon awakened a taste for martial arts in North America and made the Hong Kong-raised Lee an international star.

He died in 1973 at age 32 from swelling of the brain.

China recently announced plans to make a 40-part television series on his life and a Hong Kong studio is planning a biopic."
Posted by: budobrubbie

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/08/07 09:41 AM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..........
Posted by: student_of_life

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/08/07 11:12 AM

in celebration, we dance!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uFlQNtL8F9s

ich, ni, san, go!
Posted by: iaibear

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/08/07 12:05 PM

What happened to shi?
Posted by: shadowkahn

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/08/07 01:11 PM

No. No no. No.

*points to signature*

Asinine to think they could possibly find another Miyagi better than Morita's.
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/08/07 03:30 PM

I completely agree. Everything Morita did was the best! When he had Daniel "waxing on" and painting I laughed out load at the brilliance of it. He was teaching many things at once; conditioning, blocking, and doing what the sensei said. Also loved "Best block - no be there".
Posted by: JoshuaMonjin

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/08/07 04:35 PM

One thing that jumped to my mind is: how well does Fumio Demura act if at all? Although no one can truly replace Pat Morita.

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/08/07 04:47 PM

It can't be done. It just can't be done. There is no one else to play Mr. Miyagi.

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/08/07 05:38 PM

O.K. I am going on record as of this moment that the premise of the Karate Kid remake will be similar but no where near the original story line. I do not think that the main characters will have the same names (Daniel and Miyagi). I do not think that the Cobra Kai will be high school bullies as much as neighborhood bullies. I have other thoughts as well but I feel that it is best that I keep them to myself at this time. As far as the Enter the Dragon remake, I do think that this movie could be re-made well but only if Jet Li gets the Bruce Lee part. I also think that Wesley Snipes could play a pretty good spot in this as well AND NOT NESSESARILY the role of Wiliams. It would also be pretty cool if they let Sammo Hung and Bolo come back in as well.

VDJ
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/09/07 08:32 AM

But didn't they market the last Jet Li movie as "his last martial arts movie"? I guess he'll stick to musical comedies from now on.
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/09/07 08:48 AM

No, "Fearless" was supposed to be his last "Period" piece basically meaning no more ancient china movies. I am pretty sure he will still be performing MA's in his movies.

Scottie

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/09/07 03:05 PM

Quote:

if this is to be a Karate Kid remake it needs to be a Karateka based movie

I completly diagree. The Karate Kid was not about the "quality" or realism of the Karate, if you try and make it about that you are done. Do you honestly think the MA community watched that movie and was impressed by the crane kick?

Cmon! Look Karate was a mysterious and magical to the kid from Jersey, a blending of cultures real or not, basic superhero stuff.

What made the movie great was the story, not the action. So stop trying to jam action stars into the re-make.

The movie needs real actors who can "sell" the Karate, the audience must fall into "The willing suspension of disbelief" not critique the techinique or realism.

I agree Mr Miyagi is Pat Morita, and they should leave the movie alone, but if they must do this, they need great writing, a great story and great actors who's first profession is acting, not MA.

I will accept no argument on these points.

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/09/07 03:18 PM

Oh and another thing!

If you want to remake Enter the Dragon, THAT was an action flick where you could use all the Jet Li's and Jackie Chan's you want.

Good luck trying to match Bruce Lee's screen presence but the story in that movie was terrible, it was about the action.

Film 101 class dismissed
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/09/07 05:05 PM

Let me be the 1st to agree.
Posted by: fileboy2002

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/11/07 06:37 PM

I remember the first remake I ever saw: King Kong. The original opened in 1931, and the remake debuted over 40 years later.

What could possibly be the point of remaking a movie only 20 some years old? And a good movie at that? And while we are on the topic, why can't a popular foreign film get some decent distribution in the US instead of being remade and "Americanized" a year later? People all over the world are used to reading subtitles--why not give it a shot over here?

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/11/07 11:27 PM

Quote:

People all over the world are used to reading subtitles--why not give it a shot over here?

Crouching tiger hidden dragon was MUCH better with subtitles then in English, at least in my opinion it was, problem is the American Public actually is as lazy as they appear, so any movie released that way will get a select audience. The same or simular audience that would rather read a good book then see a movie.

But good point.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/12/07 08:39 AM

I don't mind subtitles. I saw Jet Li's "fearless" in subtitles.

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/13/07 05:01 PM

"the American Public actually is as lazy as they appear"

This is a BS comment. Americans are far from lazy! You don't become the worlds foremost superpower by its population being lazy. The media has done a great job at potraying us as lazy but yet here we are on this BB discussing the arts that we all love so much that take so much endurance to practice. Health clubs are booming all over the country! So what if they don't want to take the time to read subtitles. My personal opinion is that you may miss something on the screen that is in the film while you're reading the subtitle. I know that I have missed things on the screen w/o ST's after viewing something for a second time. And on the subject of crouching tiger, I think that was overrated as well. Again, JMO!

VDJ

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/13/07 05:45 PM

"My personal opinion is that you may miss something on the screen that is in the film while you're reading the subtitle. I know that I have missed things on the screen w/o ST's after viewing something for a second time."

But as I said before, everyone else in the world from Mexico to Malaysia gets along just fine with reading subtitles. I can't imagine we Americans are too stupid to read them and not get distracted.

I don't think this has to do with Americans being lazy. If foreign language films were widely released and consistently flopped, then maybe we could explore that possibility. But they are never widely released in the US, so the public never gets a chance to see many of them. By contrast, American films get wide distribution worldwide.

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/13/07 08:27 PM

Quote:

"the American Public actually is as lazy as they appear"

This is a BS comment. Americans are far from lazy! You don't become the worlds foremost superpower by its population being lazy

Getting to be a superpower and being born in a pre-existing superpower are too very different things.

You don't agree with me, thats fine make your point and lets discuss. Calling my opinion BS just because you don't like it is an example of intellectual laziness.

BTW, if you can't read sub titles and also capture the visual elements of a movie...I feel for you.

Of course when you watch a movie for the second and third time you will see things you missed before, there are many layers to almost everything if you take the time to observe.

PS in the future if you don't like something or feel offended by a post don't call it BS, instead say "Kimo, I find you comments about Americans being lazy offensive and this is why.....

Just a suggestion.

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/13/07 09:45 PM

VDJ, I watch shows and movies with subtitles all the time, I don't miss much on screen. I don't know if it's just laziness or if it's arrogance that keeps foreign films out of the US, but the fact of the matter is, foreign films, even with subtitles, would probably do quite well in the US. I tell you, subtitles are a lot better than bad dubbing where the lips keep moving 3 seconds after the line has ended.

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/13/07 10:53 PM

"Getting to be a superpower and being born in a pre-existing superpower are too very different things."

Please explain. You don't think that it takes a certain work ethic to maintain such a status?

"BTW, if you can't read sub titles and also capture the visual elements of a movie...I feel for you."

No need to "feel for" me. If I want to read (which I do plenty of) I pick up a good book and let my mind paint the picture for me. ST's annoy me and take away from the experience of the film ! jusy MY opinion.

"You don't agree with me, thats fine make your point and lets discuss. Calling my opinion BS just because you don't like it is an example of intellectual laziness."

So your painting the American public with one broad brush w/o back up ISN'T intellectually lazy and MY OPINION is?

"PS in the future if you don't like something or feel offended by a post don't call it BS, instead say "Kimo, I find you comments about Americans being lazy offensive and this is why....."

My perogative to state my opinion in my words as long as it is in the boundries of the boards guidelines to post !

VDJ

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/13/07 10:57 PM

Kimo,

I also find your comment about Americans being lazy offensive and mostly true.

Next time you wussies need help you should probably call someone who is not so lazy.

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/13/07 11:00 PM

"But as I said before, everyone else in the world from Mexico to Malaysia gets along just fine with reading subtitles. I can't imagine we Americans are too stupid to read them and not get distracted."

I remember growing up (in the 60's & 70's) seeing quite a few movies coming across with ST's. My guess is they DIDN'T do so well and thats why you see fewer today. Besides, I'll bet a dollar to donuts that the movies that Mexico and Malyasia are watching with the ST's are American movies!

VDJ
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/14/07 06:37 AM

Ahhhhh so its ok for foreigners to have to read subtitles for American films, just not the other way about... gotcha..... Well, you gotta keep us foriegners in our place I suppose...

Just kidding!!!!!!!
Posted by: iaibear

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/14/07 11:59 AM

There have been times when even American movies for Americans would profit by having ST. The "dramatic whispers" against a noisy background often contain lines important to the plot.

Of course, if the folks are naked, who needs words?
Posted by: shills11

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/15/07 05:46 AM

"Next time you wussies need help you should probably call someone who is not so lazy."

I do take offense kind sir, maybe if SOME (not all) American soldiers/pilots weren't lazy enough to take aim before they pull the trigger there would be quite a drastic fall in friendly fire incidents and a few more of our guys might get to come home.(or does the media tell you about these things) I remember years ago while in Army cadets i was told "if you ever find yourself going to war with the americans, make them go first they'll shoot anything that moves, including you" and it still holds true today.

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/15/07 06:02 AM

Dont you find that after watching subtitles for a while you forget that they're there?

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/15/07 07:30 AM

GENTLEMEN, and Ladies

Please, Nationality on this forum is NOT of importance (Yes we all have loyalties to our countries but leave the 'fighting' to the politicians).

This forum is to bring together MA's from 'ALL' walks of life. We are one people on here through Martial Arts.

We seem to be veering of the topic of this Thread - A Remake of Karate Kid.

I still think Karate Kid should have a Karate (Japanese/Okinawan) based Master the 'New' Daniel-san could come from anywhere.

I watched a Run of American Ninja the other night, well I'm glad no-one will be wanting to remake that. lol.

I would love to see a remake of 'MONKEY' or 'The Water Margin'. Tripikata made me think 'how can a woman portray a young Budist Monk?'.

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/15/07 08:18 AM

good point, sorry wrong place
Posted by: PolarKo

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/15/07 10:30 AM

I saw something like the crane kick with drunken kung fu

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/15/07 11:08 AM

The Karate Kid was made to be of a Goju Ryu style master who came to the USA and fought for the Americans.

Okinawan Karate or 'ToDe' is closer to its chinese beginings than with Japanese Karate, So this is why you will see techniques from various Gung Fu forms with the karate Katas

Re: Karate Kid Remake... - 10/17/07 09:55 AM

VDJ,

You may have personally seen quite a few movies with subtitles, but most Americans did not. Foreign films have never been given decent distribution in the US--not in the 60s and 70s, not before that, not today. But you are certainly correct that international audiences mostly watch American movies.