Fight objective?

Posted by: MattJ

Fight objective? - 09/26/07 06:37 PM

How many of you train to have a specific plan with regards to H2H combat? I think that good fighters often have a fairly defined objective or goal, and will shape their strategies and techniques to work efficiently towards it.

My specific objective in a fight is to gain the opponent's back. Stand-up or on the ground, I feel that being in that position offers the greatest amount of safety, the most control, and very good targeting options. Once there, I will typically directly target the opponent's head, but will take arm or leg control as the situation dictates.

Do you train with a specific objective in mind, and if so, what is it?
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Fight objective? - 09/26/07 06:49 PM

excellent question. yes - being evil.

doing the most damage as quick as possible and as soon as possible. tactic: hit hard and clinch/throw to the ground....then get the F atta there.
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Fight objective? - 09/26/07 07:54 PM

Agree with both you guys. Get the back..if possible or angle if not so possible.

Get out as soon as you can. Don't, repeat, don't duke it out squared up if you don't gotta...
Posted by: BulldogTKD

Re: Fight objective? - 09/26/07 08:38 PM

I train and teach to go for control. Control the mind and or body. Use angles and deception while keeping control of our own mind and body.
Posted by: chunky_chicken

Re: Fight objective? - 09/26/07 08:52 PM

i agree. i fight to get the other guy on the ground. catch them off balance, catch a kick, or just go in and take em down. what ever it takes, once they're on the ground, its over.
Posted by: wolf1

Re: Fight objective? - 09/26/07 09:17 PM

I agree with all you guys, I also like to control the head, control the head and you control the fight.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Fight objective? - 09/26/07 09:38 PM

Positional control, whether standing or on the ground, and anywhere else in between.
Posted by: MastaFighta

Re: Fight objective? - 09/26/07 11:40 PM

Brute force my way through it. Plain, simple, pretty effective, easy to remember, easy to train for and well-suited for someone like myself.

I don't have any grappling skills nor training in grappling, however my plan still works in some situations involving the ground.
Posted by: Christie

Re: Fight objective? - 09/27/07 08:00 AM

I suppose I don't really fight with an objective because I'm not very good offensively it is something I have to work on. I fight very defensively, I anticipate and react to my opponents moves, I rarely take the "first swing." This approach as worked very well for me while sparring but I'm quite positive it won't turn out well in a self defence situation. I suppose my fight objective right now then is to force myself to play the offensive sometimes.
Posted by: MASTERforge

Re: Fight objective? - 09/27/07 09:59 AM

I disagree. Going to ground as soon as possible is really not a good idea. Especially if the other guy has any friends around him.

While you are showing off your latest BJJ move his buddies are lining up to stomp on your head.

Ask any night club bouncer if they would want to take a person down to the ground. There is too much risk and you are an easy target there.

A quick punch to the throat or eye jab will stop most fights in their track.

My main objective is surprise. If they don't see it coming, they can't defend and its all over before it began. If you know its going to happen, get in first and fast.

Re: Fight objective? - 09/27/07 10:10 AM

Quote:

I disagree. Going to ground as soon as possible is really not a good idea. Especially if the other guy has any friends around him.

While you are showing off your latest BJJ move his buddies are lining up to stomp on your head.

Thanks so much for your little anti-BJJ tirade, but what the hell are you talking about? I don't see anywhere that Christie mentioned taking anyone to the ground.

Re: Fight objective? - 09/28/07 12:19 PM

Anybody else? Looking for specifics, too.
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: Fight objective? - 09/28/07 12:33 PM

Real confrontation: Create an escape route and use it. Not possible, get to the back, KHTFO by any means available.

Practice or competition: Use footwork to get to back, upset his base, submit or control through combination of chokes/strikes/joint locks (BJJ or Chin Na).

That's all I got,

Scottie
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Fight objective? - 09/29/07 05:45 AM

Well, in general, I try to find and exploit my opponents openings and weaknesses. For example, if they are poor at striking, I'll use striking and vice versa. In the case that my opponent doesn't show any weaknesses or any openings, I create them through various sneaky tactics. As such, my tactics vary from poking at my opponent's defenses, to feinting strikes and other deception, to charging in full speed when I think it's appropriate. I suppose my biggest weakness here is poor judgment in what strategy to use; in my own instructor's words, the thing I lack most is experience.

I suppose I use this approach because it's the way I've always been trained, my instructors have always tended to think in the same way I do. Most people who I train with think I'm just plain mean hearted.

In terms of self defense, I am of the belief that prevention is better than cure.

Quote:

My main objective is surprise. If they don't see it coming, they can't defend and its all over before it began. If you know its going to happen, get in first and fast.

The good ol' sucker punch huh? Subtle.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Fight objective? - 09/29/07 10:03 PM

Great job there MASTERforge, lol!

(Don't you just love it when noobs ZOOM in from Oblivion, slam something that probably don't have the slightest clue about and then zoom back off? I know I do!)

Next time MASTERforge, make sure you specify who you are talking to. Then when you're responding, also make sure that it has something remotely to do with the thread (maybe)! And and in the process, try not to lay blanket statements down on folks, k?

Thanks. Have a great life.

-John
Posted by: Cord

Re: Fight objective? - 09/30/07 05:17 AM

Quote:

Ask any night club bouncer if they would want to take a person down to the ground. There is too much risk and you are an easy target there.

That is entirely dependant on how many are in the security team, and their proximity to the situation. Good security teams dont technically 'fight' anyone, they 'wrap em up and throw em out'. The whole idea is to limit danger and inconvenience to the decent people who are in the premises. Given the choice between a running battle with fists and glasses flying, and grounding a guy and waiting for support from colleagues to remove him with little fuss, I know which one works better.