On the hunt

Posted by: tkd_high_green

On the hunt - 09/25/07 04:20 PM

My instructor routinely talks about a person who routinely out did him in TKD Forms competition "back before the day". I'm interested in seeing if I could locate this elusive person. His name is Jay Bong Chung, or at least thats how it sounds. I have no idea if it is spelled correctly. I'm assuming he would have been in the Vermont/NY area back in the mid to late 80's.

Laura
Posted by: MattJ

Re: On the hunt - 09/25/07 04:23 PM

Maybe Jae instead of Jay?
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: On the hunt - 09/25/07 04:47 PM

Looking for a Korean named Jae Kim who's a TKD guy is kinda like looking for an American named John Smith that likes cars. I know 3 at least in the my area, sure I could find more if I looked. That's a rough task. Maybe something to narrow it more???
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: On the hunt - 09/25/07 05:28 PM

find out more about the competition itself, and follow that trail. however, it could very well be that it was a locally sponsored tournament, and the participants were not well known or documented. the later 80's saw an explosion of local MA tournaments.
Posted by: oldman

Re: On the hunt - 09/25/07 06:03 PM

Laura,
You are most likely looking for Chung Jae-bok or
Jae Bok Chung. He was a student of Duk Song Son. I believe that he also was the author of the Kuk Mu series of forms. I believe Son, formed the Kuk Mu Kwan. The school dissolved prior to Duk Song Son leaving Korea for the U.S.
Posted by: VDJ

Re: On the hunt - 10/01/07 06:43 PM

I agree with Mr. Morris. What org were they competing in? It maybe easier to track it down that way !

VDJ