What's your carrot?

Posted by: hedkikr

What's your carrot? - 09/20/07 12:19 PM

As practitioners of MA, what motivates you do what you do?

Instructors, what do you offer your students to maintain their motivation?

Thanks

(for non-Americans, a carrot tied to a string attached to a stick - like a fishing pole - was held in front of a horse pulling a wagon. The horse walked forward in an effort to get to the carrot thus pulling the wagon)
Posted by: harlan

Re: What's your carrot? - 09/20/07 12:39 PM

Guess I'm shallow. I go to because it's fun. I love to learn something new. Hate to go to class...but love to have gone because there is soooo much to learn!! A two hour class goes by so fast! It leaves me with all kinds of questions to work on until the next class.
Posted by: butterfly

Re: What's your carrot? - 09/20/07 12:57 PM

Motivations?

Refinement of technique. Meshing technique with concept. Sometimes I can see one, but not the other. Sometimes both, but segregated one from the other.

How you get to where you have seen other, better practitioners stand.....well, that's something special.
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: What's your carrot? - 09/20/07 12:58 PM

A personal goal to have trained enough in at least 1 art to reach proficiency and cross train in an art from each major area around the globe (Korea, China, Japan, Indonesia, Philippines, and of course US) to have a decent understanding of its concepts and history. There are far too many arts to ever complete this goal but even if it only means having trained in a few, it keeps me going and keeps me yearning for learning.

Next on the agenda are Seido Karate and Mande Muda Silat.

OSU.

Scottie
Posted by: MattJ

Re: What's your carrot? - 09/20/07 01:05 PM

Quote:

Fear.

Quote:

Fun and health.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: What's your carrot? - 09/20/07 01:36 PM

Quote:

Hedkikr, I am struggling with this right now and am trying to still find that carrot. I've hit a lull in my life and though I am still weight lifting and doing martial arts, I am finding it hard to keep motivated to go. I'm going and have goals set and won't quit but it is a struggle at times.

Weight lifting 10 years and doing martial arts for 5 has worn at my body and mind. When I come home from work I have to do one or the other or both and that has drained me of much of the passion I had. In other posts I have pointed out I'm taking steps to repair this and am doing so, one step at at time.

I guess my carrot is not wanting to quit. Not wanting to return to the person I was before I started all of this. I didn't like that person and I don't want to be him again. That is the little I am holding on to that keeps me going. I will find those passions again once I put the effort in and see results.
Posted by: Joss

Re: What's your carrot? - 09/20/07 02:14 PM

What Butterfly said.
Posted by: oldman

Re: What's your carrot? - 09/20/07 03:59 PM

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Re: What's your carrot? - 09/20/07 04:43 PM

Ahhh, Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.

But beyond the general, what is your carrot/students' carrots?

For me, as Maslow's theory states, I shift between levels depending on the circumstance. But specifically, I want to own better skill than guys half my age (I'll be 53 soon). I accomplish this not only from the physical (which is less than it was 20 yrs ago) & more in the study of efficient body mechanics.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: What's your carrot? - 09/20/07 06:38 PM

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...=7#Post15949291

Posted by: Taison

Re: What's your carrot? - 09/21/07 02:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Fear.

Quote:

Fun and health.

Matt, you liar!

Quote:

Quote:

Fun and health.

Quote:

Fear.

There you go. Fixed.

-Taison out

Re: What's your carrot? - 09/21/07 02:24 AM

I wasn't asking how to keep the motivation...

I want to know what the motivation is & as an instructor, what you offer your students as motivation.

That's the carrot.

Posted by: Taison

Re: What's your carrot? - 09/21/07 02:42 AM

My motivation?

Perfection of technique and power behind the technique. Loss of power behind the technique pi$$es me off. Too much power and little to no technique also pi$$es me off.

I'm obsessed with finding a good balance between my techniques and strength.

For students;
Tag along and you might learn something useful, as well you get to have fun.

Also, I figured out a way to reach the carrot if it was attached to your forehead. Just lie down and let gravity bring the carrot to you

-Taison out
Posted by: JKogas

Re: What's your carrot? - 09/21/07 06:41 AM

Thats a good one Mark. Right on. My motivation lies within that pyramid, often at the very top.

I guess what motives me are the unconscious drives for each of those steps along that hierarchy, which is consciously just thought of as, "its fun". The camaraderie is great. The constant "tests" of yourself and the knowledge gained (of self) is incredible. I would not be the person I am today without such tests and knowledge.

I suppose others things like physical conditioning, etc. play a role as well. That's pretty important as you get into your 40's and beyond. Staying active is so obviously important for a long healthy life. I look around me at other people my age and see the results of a life that has become all too sedentary for them after they graduated college, got married, had children, and then sank fully into a life of "domesticatia". My own father is a shining example of that. If he had just stayed active through those years from his forties and fifties on he wouldn't be suffering from the weight gain and it's effects on his knees and back (etc) that he is now.

There are so MANY "carrots", it's sometimes hard to at once even remember them all.
Posted by: sophia73

Re: What's your carrot? - 09/21/07 08:31 AM

A very interesting post...

I find what motivates me has developed over the years, and each one has built on the previous on. First it was fitness, then it was learning new moves, then is was fitness again, then it was wanting to be more flexible/ faster, working on techniques... and so it goes on.

Fundamentally there was a learning curve which kept me going forward... but at the moment my motivation is wavering, so I look to my instructor for a bit of guidance.

So, as Hedkikr asked...

"Instructors, what do you offer your students to maintain their motivation?"

It would be nice to know.
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: What's your carrot? - 09/21/07 09:17 AM

Three things:
1. Going to classes is a social gathering of friends.
2. As others have stated, perfection of what I know.
3. Learning new things. I'm amazed by what's out there.
I met someone yesterday who showed me something RADICALLY different and highly effective. I want to start training with him, too.
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: What's your carrot? - 09/23/07 08:41 AM

I guess I'm deranged, but training "took" with me at a very early age... I train, as the zen saying goes, "because there is training to do"... Class is at 6 or 7 o'clock, so I'm there...

Feel good... go train
feel bad?... go train
got something important to do... go train

Pretty simple, really...

What do I offer students to keep them motivated?... more training. One on one teaching and "specific point" analysis of what they're doing "right or wrong" to help them build strong skills quickly. Also, I teach them the body mechanics of the arts and how they differ, so they can fight against other arts.

I enjoy being around training as well... to see others doing things differently... to analyze their strengths and weaknesses, and to adapt their training into the skills we train against... not so much "stealing their technique" as "preventing or dealing with their attacks"... and it's a thoughtful process, not just "what would I do about this"?

I guess my carrot is "I like training"...

Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: What's your carrot? - 09/23/07 04:09 PM

What I present... the manner in which I present it would be the "carrot".

If they like what I do, or more importantly the way I present it... they will stay and learn my understanding(ie my understanding of my instructors art)

Jeff
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: What's your carrot? - 09/24/07 07:58 AM

Quote:

Feel good... go train
feel bad?... go train...

My experience has been that if I'm not feeling well or just plain listless, that disappears when I enter the dojo. It's as if the energy of the class is shared.
Posted by: Journey

Re: What's your carrot? - 09/24/07 10:05 AM

It has become the air I breathe and the water I drink. How and when it got to that point I don't know. It just became necessary somewhere along the way...
Posted by: iaibear

Re: What's your carrot? - 09/24/07 07:46 PM

Listening to my iaito sing.