Martial arts is not for everyone

Posted by: MattJ

Martial arts is not for everyone - 08/29/07 05:44 PM

Taken from this thread here -

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...page=0&vc=1

Is it a given that martial arts training is appropriate for anyone and everyone? Is being exclusionary mean or practical?

Your thoughts.
Posted by: cxt

Re: Martial arts is not for everyone - 08/29/07 06:04 PM

IMO, no.

Can pretty much everyone benefit and improve their skills thu MA training?

Sure.

That being said however, MA takes discipline, patience, desire, and effort--and sadly many people don't have much of those.

Without them, progress and overall achivement is going to be limited.

Not eveyone is "coachable."
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Martial arts is not for everyone - 08/29/07 06:08 PM

CXT nailed it for the most part.

But I would add that there is a martial art for just about everyone. Don't want to work or sweat? There's one for you. Just want to pay for your rank? There's one for you.

Want to train hard, get hit in the face, have your ass kicked and your arms locked? Well...that's probably not for everyone.

-John
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Martial arts is not for everyone - 08/29/07 06:12 PM

Quote:

But I would add that there is a martial art for just about everyone. Don't want to work or sweat? There's one for you. Just want to pay for your rank? There's one for you.

Posted by: Supremor

Re: Martial arts is not for everyone - 08/29/07 06:21 PM

I voted yes, because honestly I think if someone is really enthused enough to come to classes and try hard, then they will progress. Perhaps progress will be uneven amongst different people, but everyone can progress.

We don't ask the question "is soccer for everyone?" do we? The answer is obviously yes, but soccer players have to want to play and work hard, have the right attitude etc. This is a given. How is learning a martial art any different?
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: Martial arts is not for everyone - 08/29/07 08:24 PM

Quote:

I think if someone is really enthused enough to come to classes and try hard, then they will progress.

the "if" implies that some will not be enthused. Hence, not for "everyone" only those who want to. On that pretext, I agree. Everyone can do it to some extent and get benefits. But, it's not necessarily FOR everyone; some don't like it, don't want to do it, don't even see the point, etc.

So, I said no. Just the way I read the poll question.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Martial arts is not for everyone - 08/30/07 07:47 AM

I said 'no'. Even acknowledging the varying degrees of 'martial-ness' found in different schools/styles/teachers, not everyone will find value in training. If that were so, no one would be crying about student attrition, or 'how to get women interested' in their school.
Posted by: Joss

Re: Martial arts is not for everyone - 08/30/07 08:37 AM

No. If it was... the group we call "everyone" would be doing it.
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Martial arts is not for everyone - 08/30/07 09:00 AM

Quote:

the "if" implies that some will not be enthused. Hence, not for "everyone" only those who want to. On that pretext, I agree. Everyone can do it to some extent and get benefits. But, it's not necessarily FOR everyone; some don't like it, don't want to do it, don't even see the point, etc.

yes, I think we agree on this pint then. I am just trying to make the point that I really don't see martial arts as any different from countless other hobbies- football, tennis, stamp collecting, whatever(maybe not the last one )
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: Martial arts is not for everyone - 08/30/07 10:47 AM

Nothing is for everyone, thats why there are choices. Opportunities to do something else if something is not right for you. People's tastes, values, interests, and goals are all different from person to person. It would be nice to think that since everyone could benefit from MA that it would be for everyone but it is not.

Not smoking has been medically proven to be good for everyone but how many people smoke? Exercise is good for everyone but how many people dont? Somethings people simply do not have the desire or motivation to participate in, whether it is good for them or not, whether they will benefit from it or not. It is just that simple so from a stand point of desire, motivation, and committment, no, MA's isnt for everyone.

Scottie
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Martial arts is not for everyone - 08/30/07 01:07 PM

I voted "no". It is my opinion that martial arts "can" benefit everybody but is not for everybody, or at least for some not until they are ready.

For myself I always thought I wanted to take a martial art but I never did because I just wasn't ready in my life at that point. By joining it back then there is a possibility things would have turned out okay but probably not. Also I think some people join martial arts to increase their fighting skills in the streets (bar fighting) which while it could be argued that it is benefiting them I just see that as the wrong reason to take a martial art. Within our own school our Instructor has refused to teach some people and has asked them to leave for one reason or another. It doesn't happen often but it has happened and it basically came down to attitude; attitude to training, attitude to other students, etc.

And then of course as mentioned about motivation, commitment, discipline, etc. which we know that everybody does not have.
Posted by: tkd_high_green

Re: Martial arts is not for everyone - 08/31/07 02:28 PM

I'd like to answer this from a different perspective.

I agree that there are lazy people and people who have criminal intentions, but if we look at everyone else, then yes, I believe that the martial arts is for everyone.

Who are we to say that the martial arts are good for one person and not for someone else?

It seems to me that this is a question more of instructors not wanting to work with anyone but the best. I personally give more value to instructors who are willing to work with their students no matter what their issues.

Do we filter out the overweight students, the hyper active students, the scared to get hurt or to hurt others students, students with disabilities, women?

I currently have a student who has trouble sparring, when facing an aggressive opponent, she panics and shuts down, unable to even defend herself. Should I just give up on her?

One of the parents told me last week that her son was rejected at one of the other schools because he was too hyper. This is a kid currently going for his red belt at the next testing, who competes at every tournament and absolutly loves what he does. Should we have made the choice that the other school did?

If the student is willing to learn, it seems to me that the instructor should be willing to teach them. In that respect, I feel that the martial arts IS for everyone that wants to learn, is willing to learn, and is willing to work hard to learn.

Its not up to us to say how quickly they should learn or how much they can learn.

Laura

Re: Martial arts is not for everyone - 08/31/07 02:34 PM

I don't think any of us are saying it can't be done by any of these people. At least I wasn't saying it. But, that some people just plain don't have the desire to do it. So, it would not be right for that person by definition. Just as if you have no desire to play baseball, then MLB would not be the best career choice for you.

Re: Martial arts is not for everyone - 08/31/07 02:36 PM

Laura, not to disparage TKD in any way, or your contributions, but if what you say is true...then you could walk outside your dojo, offer 'free martial arts' to all the passersby and not have a dojo big enough to house them all. But I think you'd find that most people would keep walking. We like to think that something that captures our interest must have some intrinsic value that can benefit everyone...but that just isn't true.
Posted by: Joss

Re: Martial arts is not for everyone - 08/31/07 03:10 PM

"If the student is willing to learn, it seems to me that the instructor should be willing to teach them. In that respect, I feel that the martial arts IS for everyone that wants to learn, is willing to learn, and is willing to work hard to learn."

Just restating what you wrote, in reverse, martial arts are NOT for people that don't want to learn, are not willing to learn and are not willing to work hard.

To me, this is not about saying no to people that are interested but challenged. MA most certainly IS for them. Heck... I ARE one. And so is everyone else in one way or another. We all have our own challenges to overcome. What we also have, though, is the internal need to do this.

To me, this is about accepting that MA just doesn't appeal to everyone... not who can be turned away.

Re: Martial arts is not for everyone - 08/31/07 03:32 PM

Yes!

I love the battle of symantics.

And I agree completely.
Posted by: tkd_high_green

Re: Martial arts is not for everyone - 08/31/07 10:22 PM

I'm basing my argument on the thread originally quoted, which describes a student who didn't want to spar for some reason, yet to be determined. That student is obviously training, and I'm assuming that he wants to be there, not just being forced to go by his parents. This thread ultimately led to the conclusion that the martial arts aren't for everyone.

Should that instructor just give up on that student, kick them out because they refuse to spar? Does having an issue or inability with or in one aspect of the martial arts prevent a student from enjoying and improving in other aspects?

I'm not arguing that there are people out there that don't have an interest in the martial arts or who have greater interests in something else. I'm simply stating that we shouldn't say to little Johnny that the martial arts aren't for him and that he should go take up badminton. For the student that is trying, is it their fault if they can't get it, or the instructors?
Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: Martial arts is not for everyone - 08/31/07 10:52 PM

There are martial sports out there, even martial dances. True martial arts is not for everyone. It takes almost as much discipline as military service.
Posted by: puffadder

Re: Martial arts is not for everyone - 09/01/07 09:24 AM

To a certain extent the teacher is there to teach. He is being paid to pass on his knowledge and skill. A good instructor will change his teaching style to suit the student in front of him. Some learn better with lots of discipline whereas others might hate that approach. Some learn through watching moves whereas others need to hear spoken instructions and so on.
If a student isn't learning or appearing to work hard enough then maybe the instructor needs to look to their teaching skills as well as the motivation, ability and passion of the student.
Learning needs to be a 2 way communication.
Posted by: iaibear

Re: Martial arts is not for everyone - 09/01/07 10:24 AM

Quote:

To a certain extent the teacher is there to teach. He is being paid to pass on his knowledge and skill. A good instructor will change his teaching style to suit the student in front of him. Some learn better with lots of discipline whereas others might hate that approach. Some learn through watching moves whereas others need to hear spoken instructions and so on.
If a student isn't learning or appearing to work hard enough then maybe the instructor needs to look to their teaching skills as well as the motivation, ability and passion of the student.
Learning needs to be a 2 way communication.

Sounds like me up until @ three weeks ago when the dawn broke after seven years of me bitching and moaning about Aikido. All those years of "hinting" finally jelled. Not that I am any better at it, but now I know what is happening and can move forward. What a relief!

Re: Martial arts is not for everyone - 09/01/07 03:30 PM

Ho Bushi...why did you go there???

Quote:

There are martial sports out there, even martial dances. True martial arts is not for everyone. It takes almost as much discipline as military service.

Posted by: Bushi_no_ki

Re: Martial arts is not for everyone - 09/01/07 09:00 PM

I went there because it's true. A normal civilian learning MA to defend him/herself needs to have the discipline to maintain study for years, so that one incident doesn't catch them unprepared. The military trains to go into combat, which will inevitably happen. I train over and over what to do in a combat situation, so that when the day comes, I know what I'm doing, and don't panic. Speaking of which, I need to request a training day for all the CLS.
Posted by: WuXing

Re: Martial arts is not for everyone - 09/01/07 09:49 PM

Exercise, healthy diet, and good hygiene are beneficial for everyone. Nothing more specific than that can be "for everyone".
However, everyone can be given the opportunity of trying out martial arts, and anything else really, if they want to. How else would you know if something is really "for you"?