instructor , student, rank??

Posted by: drgndrew

instructor , student, rank?? - 08/16/07 01:35 AM

G'day all.

I get the impression from the majority of posts that there is a large number of instructors on the forum, compared to students (thats the impression anyway)

So what are you? if you fall into more then one category (eg instructor and student) answer the highest level or the level you mostly assume when posting

just thought it would be interesting to see the forums rank demographics.

Re: instructor , student, rank?? - 08/16/07 06:42 AM

thanks for your replies so far, keep them coming everyone
Posted by: MattJ

Re: instructor , student, rank?? - 08/16/07 07:57 AM

LOL. Patience, Drew! Everyone is the USA was still asleep when you originally posted.

I put "currently inactive instructor", although I am an active BJJ student now. My highest rank was 2nd degree in AKK.
Posted by: harlan

Re: instructor , student, rank?? - 08/16/07 08:13 AM

Hey...I just woke up and FA.com is the first thing on my agenda...that should count for something!

Generally, a Beginner (like it says in my profile) and unranked.

Specifically, been training 3 years under private instruction.
Posted by: KJ63

Re: instructor , student, rank?? - 08/16/07 09:20 AM

5th dan. Instructing for almost 10 years now. BUT I'm now and always a student. I learn daily from my students, and any instructor who takes the time to show me something.
Posted by: iaibear

Re: instructor , student, rank?? - 08/16/07 09:57 AM

That was for my aikido experience. I have a very dirty white belt as well as an out-of-date unearned yellow belt.
Posted by: Saisho

Re: instructor , student, rank?? - 08/16/07 10:55 AM

I am an active instructor, although I am currently without a school and teaching private sessions. I am a godan and have been a blackbelt for 16 years. However, I have learned more in the last 3 years with my current teacher than I learned in the previous 17 years of training. So 'student' would have been a good choice also.
Posted by: WhiteDragon11

Re: instructor , student, rank?? - 08/16/07 02:07 PM

I didnt really know what to put. So for rank I just put beginner because I am in my current kungfu school. But I was a junior black belt in Tae Kwon Do where I was a Sensei (shouldnt have been a sensei but cant change that).
Posted by: JMWcorwin

Re: instructor , student, rank?? - 08/16/07 02:11 PM

3rd Dan. Teaching for ~ 10 years. Hopefully looking for that 4th Dan test in Feb. ( if I'm ready ) Which of course shows that everyone should be answering 'student' regardless of their belt rank.
Posted by: Leonine

Re: instructor , student, rank?? - 08/16/07 03:42 PM

1st dan for 1.5 years now. Been learning to teach the whole time, been teaching on my own for about 0.5 years now. I've been at my school for about 5 years now. I'm still more student (4 days a week) than teacher (2 days a week), but I find I probably answer 50-50 on these forums.

Re: instructor , student, rank?? - 08/17/07 09:03 AM

thanks everyone,

I Agree with the always a student sentiment, i have always said

"the more I learn, the more I realise just how much more there is to learn"
Posted by: IExcalibui2

Re: instructor , student, rank?? - 08/18/07 12:41 AM

I'm kind of like an intermediate student, neither senior nor beginner?? but i picked beginner anyway
Posted by: MattJ

Re: instructor , student, rank?? - 03/25/08 08:32 AM

Bump for the new folks.
Posted by: Ives

Re: instructor , student, rank?? - 03/25/08 08:51 AM

3rd kyu
I'm just a student.
Posted by: WhiteDragon11

Re: instructor , student, rank?? - 03/25/08 10:22 AM

I dont really know how to answer that. For my age, I am a long term student. However, in my current school I am in the lower half. But I in my previous schools I was a junior black belt and about half way in the last school. So I guess I would be low ranked, if I was comparing myself to some of the older people.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: instructor , student, rank?? - 03/25/08 11:30 AM

Beginner. My highest rank is 1st Dan WTF TKD, although that is probably not recognised anymore.

I'm proud to say that in the middle of next year I'll have been a beginner at martial arts for 20 years. I post as a (probably perpetual) beginner.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: instructor , student, rank?? - 03/25/08 11:53 AM

Current Active Senior Instructor 29 years in study.
& Long Term Student

Highest honorary Rank is 7th dan.
Base system Rank of 5th dan.
Highest acheivement Prepetual Student.
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: instructor , student, rank?? - 03/25/08 12:36 PM

Student 35 years Isshinryu
Student 30 years Yang Tai Chi Chaun
Instructor 30 years
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: instructor , student, rank?? - 03/25/08 01:17 PM

This is my profession, my "day job". As to my rank/ranking... it is irrelevent outside of the group to which I happen to belong. So I did not include it... for many fundamental reasons. Some are badly influenced/impressionable/swayed due to rank or ~ranking~. To avoid that problem I avoid posting rank/ranking.

My words will stand on their own merit not falsely influenced or bolstered by any rank.

Jeff

Re: instructor , student, rank?? - 03/25/08 01:38 PM

The better questions still...

How many classes do you teach per day?

How many per week ?

How many students +/- ?
Posted by: Neko456

Re: instructor , student, rank?? - 03/25/08 03:54 PM

I think you should have started another thread, you just hi-jacked his. He asked a question whats wrong with giving an answer without feelings being involved.

I feel we are some what family, members in the MAs, I'll answer your questions after we are through with this discussion.

Hope this doesn't offend, it wasn't my intention.

Posted by: Fletch1

Re: instructor , student, rank?? - 03/26/08 11:29 PM

I am an active instructor and currently a new Brown Belt in BJJ. BJJ rank is difficult to equate to typical kyu/gup ranks.

Re: instructor , student, rank?? - 03/29/08 10:28 AM

Hello neko456:

If that is the case (I hijacked) then I genuinely and earnestly apologize.

I loved his question(s) simply wanted to add a few more levels of detail. The people who do it daily vs. a couple times a month. Important difference IMV-fwiw...

Jeff
Posted by: Aezed

Re: instructor , student, rank?? - 03/29/08 06:42 PM

It's not that difficult to equate BJJ ranks to standard gup/kyu ranks, IMHO. For example, I'd put a typical BJJ brown belt as somewhere between 2nd and 3rd dan.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: instructor , student, rank?? - 03/30/08 07:55 AM

Really depends on where you go though, because gradings in BJJ are relative to the skill of the class and instructor. However, I tend to agree, a purple belt in BJJ is usually already a competent instructor.