Aikido and Tae Kwon Do

Posted by: Joseph_Webster

Aikido and Tae Kwon Do - 08/08/07 11:18 PM

I'm pretty sure so far that I will take Aikido, but tonight my little brother took a Karate/TKD class and afterwards I talked to the sensei. The time schedules don't interfere at ALL =) and I was wondering if it would be okay/a good idea to mix the styles like this. Mind you i'll be starting both around the same couple weeks if I do end up doing Aikido which I feel want to so far. Ask if this wasn't clear enough.

Posted by: MattJ

Re: Aikido and Tae Kwon Do - 08/09/07 08:24 AM

I can't think of a reason not to, if that's what you want to do. Any arts can be mixed. really.
Posted by: everyone

Re: Aikido and Tae Kwon Do - 08/09/07 01:07 PM

There can be challenges in training more than one style at a time. Sometimes there are conflicting structures to the styles so when you train hard at one, it adversely affects the other. For example:
· a high stance vs. a lower stance or rotation on the heel or ball of the foot.
· there are reactions trained into the style. For example, to respond with a strike or to grab.
· energy type, reacting with hard force block or blending with the attack
· footwork
· how/where to hold the hands
There are many other structure contradictions between styles. Some styles fit better together then others. Aikido and Tae Kwon Do may not be the easiest combo but that doesn’t mean that you cant make it work.
Posted by: Saisho

Re: Aikido and Tae Kwon Do - 08/09/07 02:16 PM

Quote:

I'm pretty sure so far that I will take Aikido, but tonight my little brother took a Karate/TKD class and afterwards I talked to the sensei. The time schedules don't interfere at ALL =) and I was wondering if it would be okay/a good idea to mix the styles like this

Karate and TKD? Not worth it IMO

Karate and Aikido? Good compliment to each other, also IMO
Posted by: Joseph_Webster

Re: Aikido and Tae Kwon Do - 08/09/07 11:59 PM

Thanks, I think i'll begin with just Aikido and someday maybe do both.
Posted by: discomike

Re: Aikido and Tae Kwon Do - 08/27/07 04:02 PM

Good idea. Cross trainig is excellent, but only once you have a good grounding and understanding of how fighting arts work. When you start anything new, MA or any other physical activity, your muscles groove out the motion into what is known as muscle memory. This means that repetitious movement burns into the muscles memory how to perform the function without thinking (like when someone has a bad car wreck and has to re-learn how to walk). Problem with starting several new styles (I have done all 3 that you suggest) is that you need to groove the muscle memory in 3 different ways. Also, never heard of a joint TKD/karate class before as they are superficially the same but quite different under the skin (eg karat kicks are power based, TKD are speed based).

What ever you decide, train intelligently and enjoy.
Posted by: pilgrim

Re: Aikido and Tae Kwon Do - 08/27/07 04:31 PM

Joseph,
My recommendation, FWIW, would be to do at least 2 months of Aikido by itself before adding another art. As an Aikido white belt myself, I'm finding that so many things in Aikido are counter-intuituve (use LESS muscle for a push to work, etc) that it really takes a while for the dust to settle from your mind being blown. In my experience, it's been a whole new way to think about things, and I wonder if TKD or another "hard" art may conflict with the SUBTLETIES Aikido requires. I want to add a 2nd art myself (probably Hapkido or Shotokan Karate), but I've decided to wait until I'm 1st kyu brown or 1st degree black in Aikido.
Best wishes, whichever path you choose!
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Aikido and Tae Kwon Do - 08/27/07 07:39 PM

Quote:

...joint TKD/karate class before as they are superficially the same but quite different under the skin (eg karat kicks are power based, TKD are speed based).

You don't know what you're talking about.

BTW, muscle memory isn't so much about muscles as they are about the nervous system. That's why most people either R-handed or L-handed.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Aikido and Tae Kwon Do - 08/27/07 07:44 PM

I just had an idea...

Which 2 MA are the least compatible in terms of hybridization (marriages from hell)?
Starting w/:

Aikido & TKD

Iaido & Capoeirra

Kobudo & Wrestling

Kyudo & Boxing

BJJ & Sayoc Kali

Posted by: Johnnyboyee

Re: Aikido and Tae Kwon Do - 09/03/07 12:17 AM

Muay Thai/TKD is pretty good to get them kicking techniques down.

But IMO I think you should do Muay Thai and then BJJ. Ultimate striking. Ultimate grappling.
Posted by: Matic

Re: Aikido and Tae Kwon Do - 09/03/07 07:03 PM

dont mean to hijack this post but i have nearly the same issue just with different styles....

i have the same problem i just started Jujitsu and a buddy of mine wants to take Hapkido which looks very interesting.

wondering if i should look into taking both.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Aikido and Tae Kwon Do - 09/03/07 09:07 PM

Hapkido pretty much is the Korean version of jujitsu.
Posted by: Taison

Re: Aikido and Tae Kwon Do - 09/04/07 03:16 AM

Quote:

But IMO I think you should do Muay Thai and then BJJ. Ultimate striking. Ultimate grappling.

I'd disagree with the ultimate striking, ultimate grappling statement.

I can from the top of my head state an art which emphasis more on striking that MT, and I can from the top of my head that has more techniques in the syllabus than BJJ.

-Taison out