What does Martial Arts mean to you????

Posted by: DramaQueenNell

What does Martial Arts mean to you???? - 08/07/07 12:29 AM

can you please answer the following questions: what does martial arts mean to you and how has it changed your life??? im only a purple tip and i know that i have a while before i test for black belt but im really worried about the essay i have to write and wanted some feed back from others on their feelings in this.
Posted by: MastaFighta

Re: What does Martial Arts mean to you???? - 08/07/07 12:45 AM

If your essay requires you to explain what the Martial Arts means to you, then only you can answer that question. You can't ask others what the Martial Arts means to them and then "get an idea" of what it means to you. The meaning of Martial Arts to you isn't always something that comes to mind right away, it takes time.
Posted by: DramaQueenNell

Re: What does Martial Arts mean to you???? - 08/07/07 12:53 AM

true enough. thanks! i will have to think on this for a while longer. i know what its done for me...im just not sure what it means to me.
Posted by: ShikataGaNai

Re: What does Martial Arts mean to you???? - 08/07/07 02:18 AM

Wait, you have to write an essay to get a black belt?
Posted by: MastaFighta

Re: What does Martial Arts mean to you???? - 08/07/07 02:30 AM

I had to write an essay myself when the black belt testing for my school came closer. It didn't really influence whether I receive a black belt or not, it's just something everyone did before they tested for black belt. I'm sure it's similar in DramaQueenNell's case.

Quote:

true enough. thanks! i will have to think on this for a while longer. i know what its done for me...im just not sure what it means to me.

I know how you feel. When I had to write the essay, I never thought of what Martial Arts meant to me prior to having to answer the question. Even so, my answer came out naturally, almost as if I knew the answer the whole time.
Posted by: Taison

Re: What does Martial Arts mean to you???? - 08/07/07 04:30 AM

My essay would consist of a simple question;

What does life mean to you?
Can you live without internet?

If the teacher can answer those, then they'd have a small idea what MA means to me.

-Taison out
Posted by: MattJ

Re: What does Martial Arts mean to you???? - 08/07/07 08:42 AM

Quote:

Wait, you have to write an essay to get a black belt?

Not unheard of. Black belt candidates in AKK are required to submit a thesis.

As far as what martial arts means to me? It means confidence and humility, fitness and injury, solitude and comraderie, stasis and change, fun and fear.......

And so on.
Posted by: harlan

Re: What does Martial Arts mean to you???? - 08/07/07 08:48 AM

Essay? I'm trying to figure out how to fit one year into a book...an essay would kill me. LOL!

Quote:

can you please answer the following questions: what does martial arts mean to you and how has it changed your life???

Martial arts doesn't 'mean' anything to me; I don't perceive any meaning attached to a Way...whether it's the way of the sword or the pen. I defer to Wristtwister's quote from Musashi:

"It is said the warrior's is the twofold Way of pen and sword, and he should have a taste for both Ways. Even if a man has no natural ability he can be a warrior by sticking assiduously to both divisions of the Way."

What I've gained is clarity and peace of mind.