Kempo Vs Taekwondo

Posted by: PJChambers

Kempo Vs Taekwondo - 06/27/07 02:06 PM

Hi, I'm new to this forum but also to martial arts, I've been researching possible style available in my area and two appeal to me the most which were Kempo and Taekwondo.
The Kempo studio has it's own consept which is a mixture of various types of Kempo but on the other hand Taekwondo really impressed me when i watched the documentry on national geographic and youtube. the question I just what to know what other artist think about these choses and which of these provide the best self defence and also best for competing in competitions, all answers will be very helpful.
Posted by: seito

Re: Kempo Vs Taekwondo - 06/27/07 02:12 PM

I would try each one. You are also looking for the best teacher. I have black belts in both; but, currently only training in Kenpo (Japanese). Watch a few classes and participate in a few. If you have specific quetions, we can try and help.

Let us know how it goes.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Kempo Vs Taekwondo - 06/27/07 02:21 PM

Quote:

I would try each one. You are also looking for the best teacher.

Exactly.
Posted by: Hapkid0ist

Re: Kempo Vs Taekwondo - 06/27/07 02:30 PM

Many schools will give you a few free classes or a trial membership. Try this for each style you find you are interested in. Just remember that in some styles you can't get the best of ideas of what they are about in these trial programs. Some schools are very limited to what they show in them. The best way is to sit and watch as many classes as possible before making a decision. Example: When I was teaching back in Va. we had a guy come in 2 times a week on average and just sit down and watch for a while. He did this for almost a month. One day he came in and signed up. I mentioned my observations to him and expressed my curiosity. His answer was this. He had been going to several schools at night during that one month and watching classes to see which ones drew him in and which ones even permitted him to watch and in turn get an idea of the art.
It is a good way of going about things, just be sure that if you are asked by someone at the school about your presence, be sure to let them know what you are doing. You don't want them to think that you are trying to learn by just observing and not compensating them for their knowledge.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Kempo Vs Taekwondo - 06/27/07 02:38 PM

PJ - It depends on your goals and what your ultimate ambition is? Why do want to train? How old you are, might matter?

I'll give some examples if you want to get an Olympic Gold or participate in Olympic competition Tae-kwon-do would be the answer. If you are more into using your hands then kicking, Kempo would do. Of course the opposite if you liked to learn to kick more or higher either would do but TKD trains its more. If you are interested in open tourney competition either would do? If you are interested in self defense either would do, but Kempo spends more time on it generally speaking. If want to get in shape or train for fitness either would do. Age might matter you can use your hands better then you can your legs if you are older, unless you started training in your teens-20s or younger. Generally speaking you need to be more limber to do TKD then Kempo.

I've seen some 50-60 year olds do splits and still able to kick high but they have been training since 6-16 years old.
It really depends on what you want to do with your training.
If you aren't interested in high kicks Kempo is the way.

Personally I like old style TKD over Olympic style, I don't like chest bumping to clear room to kick. Kempo or Tkd will get you in good shape if you train hard and practical. Kempo is a pretty good art.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Kempo Vs Taekwondo - 06/27/07 04:39 PM

Hapkidoist made some good points re: observing classes. I'd like to add that you should watch a number of classes, not just the same one. There may be several instructors. Also observe & talk w/ the students (all ranks) & get the feel of the atmosphere.

Also, don't get roped into signing any long-term contracts w/ promises of Black Belt in 1 yr/2 yrs/etc. A reputable school will tell you that BB takes as long as it takes & that's up to you.

Another point re: expense (monthly tuition, start-up/administration fees, organization dues, testing fee, special class fees) - find out what you'll be required to buy. Will they require you to purchase the school T-shirt, video, piles of pads & sparring gear, official equipment bag for all that kraap... It can get rediculous & no one ever questions the instructor because to do so would be "disrespectful" (oooh!).

BTW: have you looked into other MA or are these the only 2 available to you?

Good luck.
Posted by: GriffyGriff

Re: Kempo Vs Taekwondo - 06/27/07 06:46 PM

It depends on the quality of the Instructor.
I used to study Kempo (20years ago) in Plymouth when I was in the Marines and I wasn't impressed. If you are in the South of England, "Evolution Taekwondo" (Taunton), also I can recommend the GTI (Taekwondo - Chang Hon Stylists - UK Wide).
Posted by: PJChambers

Re: Kempo Vs Taekwondo - 06/28/07 05:43 AM

Hi, Thanks for the reply but no i live in Middlesbrough which is the north east of england would you know of any recommended taekwondo club nearby. I have ready found two but only stockton taekwondo training twice a week instead of once.
Posted by: GriffyGriff

Re: Kempo Vs Taekwondo - 07/01/07 06:31 PM

Hi PJ,
Did you get my pm reply?

I can fully reccomend the GTI TKD Association
Use this link to email your nearest contact.
They are good guys.
http://www.gti-taekwondo.com/test/default_l.asp