The hardest thing I've ever done

Posted by: jpoor

The hardest thing I've ever done - 06/26/07 10:08 AM

Paris Hilton said about her whopping 23 day jail term. Sadly it's probably true that she has never had to "endure" anything more strenuous.

Now, to relate things back to MA. . .

What's the hardest, most challenging, most frightening, biggest obstacle you've had to overcome (or are working to overcome) in your MA life?

Right now, mine is that I'm "hand shy" kick at me all day long, swing a club at me too. That's all fine and dandy, but when the jabs and overhands start coming, I blink and flinch (and get hit a lot LOL).

Fear of heights is another big one. In my old school, we did falls from 18 feet or so up a cargo net onto a trampoline just to get over the fear of falling. The falls were fine for me, but letting go of that rope. . .

An experience on one of my army deployments has made my fear of heights far worse now.
Posted by: harlan

Re: The hardest thing I've ever done - 06/26/07 10:15 AM

My biggest challenge is simply hitting people.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: The hardest thing I've ever done - 06/26/07 10:25 AM

Accepting that I will never be a world class, and finding a reason to train anyway.
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: The hardest thing I've ever done - 06/26/07 10:28 AM

I accepted that, Matt, and found another reason: being a good teacher. That's the great thing about MA; after your prime fighting days, you get a second chance.
Posted by: TroTro

Re: The hardest thing I've ever done - 06/26/07 10:29 AM

Overcome my own laziness and distractions... (' A ')
Posted by: menina

Re: The hardest thing I've ever done - 06/26/07 10:44 AM

My tkd life is not very long but it is being desperating not to be able to properly train due to an injury and I am sure it will be worst when I come back and realised all the job and improvement I have done is lost and I have to start again.

Start for second time seems quite discouraging. It is like writing a mail and to have an electricity cut so you lost all the information.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: The hardest thing I've ever done - 06/26/07 11:38 AM

With in martial arts the hardest thing I had to overcome was competing. Once I did compete (grappling) I then had to find the courage to continue. The next biggest thing is testing. I don't like testing, not one bit, and there is a big one around the corner when I get to it.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: The hardest thing I've ever done - 06/26/07 01:11 PM

The hardest thing I've ever done in MA is accepting the fact that my black belt is REALLY only the start of my learning. It was so hard for me to realise and accept that just learning one single MA wasn't enough for me. It was terrible to realise that a single takedown could defeat my entire MA training.

It was also tough for me to enter my first full contact tournament. It took me a long time to get over being KOed the first time. It was tough for me to bring myself to spar for a while after that...
Posted by: Leonine

Re: The hardest thing I've ever done - 06/26/07 03:20 PM

Stepping into the ring the first time and hitting somebody full force for the first time (I'm really a cuddly guy). Not losing myself to my training (I think the story will carry no weight unless you were actually there to witness it).
Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Re: The hardest thing I've ever done - 06/26/07 04:34 PM

Quote:

Accepting that I will never be a world class, and finding a reason to train anyway.

Same here.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: The hardest thing I've ever done - 06/26/07 06:16 PM

Oh ... I read that wrong Matt, I thought you say "World Ass" and then I was going to say that not to worry you are on track. Just kiddin'!
Posted by: Reiki

Re: The hardest thing I've ever done - 06/26/07 06:35 PM

I don't like sparring very much, particularly when sparring a number of hyped up 20yo blokes who are 30 years my junior during my Shodan grading ...!

I'm "relishing" the thought that my next grading will be over 30 rounds of sparring against those same blokes. <sigh>
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: The hardest thing I've ever done - 06/26/07 07:14 PM

I think my toughest time in Martial Arts has been dealing with the deaths of the friends I've trained with over the years, and the "icons" of martial arts. Shogo Kuniba, Richard Baillergeon, Toyoda Fumio, and Nakayama Sensei's deaths hit me particularly hard. There have been others, but these guys were real masters of their arts, and damn nice guys to be around and train with. They might beat the crap out of you, but never in an offensive way... it was training, and learning and sharing.

Great men who deserve memorials...

Posted by: Taison

Re: The hardest thing I've ever done - 06/26/07 11:10 PM

The toughest part of MA?

1) Realizing that no matter how high in ranks, no matter how much skills you got, you won't be 'special' to normal people. They'll either think you're weird or you're a show-off. They don't really understand the whole 'learn to fight, live in peace' thing, they think I'm either violent, or that I'm just trying to show-off. Kind of sad really. But then again, I think it may just be a cultural thing I've encountered. Basically, if you're into MA for an ego boost, wrong place to go.

2) Realizing that my skills will never be of any importance when compared to the rest of the MA world. Sure, I've got a lot of training, but someone like Chuck probably could 1-hit KO me. World class flew out of the window.

3) Realizing that there is no 'style', just that there are limits. Then realizing all the propaganda spoon-fed to me over the years, and then actually taking the step to break those 'limits' but ultimately ending up conflicting with what I've learnt over the years. That first step to walk out and never look back, that was really hard to do.

-Taison out
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: The hardest thing I've ever done - 06/27/07 06:11 AM

Quote:

Funny, it's the opposite for me.
Posted by: suda

Re: The hardest thing I've ever done - 06/27/07 09:00 AM

What's the hardest, most challenging, most frightening, biggest obstacle you've had to overcome (or are working to overcome) in your MA life?

first of all i started doing tkd like 2 months ago and for now i am ok with how it's going but it's has begun to feel that my progress is slow actually with regards to the level and the time it should take to achieve that, so i will be doing something about that . so coming to your question
for me as i think

the hardest thing -: to keep on working no matter what happens to reach my goals, in my tkd class for the moment i am like the most junior guy , but in few months time i wanna be as gud as anyone in fighting.like what they learn over the years i got most of them in months not years.

the most challenging thing:- to keep on sticking to what i have passion of achieving in tkd while doing other things like studying , my hobbies , job (yukk i dont like the office for now ).not loosing the spirit even when in everyday life you will find so many obstacles to achieve that.also i believe if i say i will achieve this , then i must do that , for myself only i give no excuses.after all if there is no challenge life is not interesting or lively.

most frighting thing :- to loose interest or just not doing as i want cos of something .it's like being kind of a looser.i hate that and i would rather die than being so.

biggest obstacle :- hmm for me at the moment i will it's my job.it takes so much of my time for that while i find comparably little time to do things i love and want to do like music , tkd , studying (i feel like doing only studying,tkd and my hobbies not the job for now ,hmmm i dunno )

well that's it hmmm and hope i didnt utter too much lol. hey by the way menina do not give up , everything will be fine
Posted by: hunterkell

Re: The hardest thing I've ever done - 06/27/07 09:49 AM

When I was a young man I studied TKD for a year or so, then studied Wado Ryu and Shoto for another year each (more or less). I eventually wound up in grappling. In my 20's the hardest thing I had to learn/come to terms with, was NOT fighting a person on the street. I din't really want to "live in peace", I wanted to whip some jerks ass (whoever that jerk might be).

I was raised that you don't walk away from a fight, even if you were going to take a beating, you took it like a man.

I am thankful to say that as I grew older I was able to put this thought process behind me and mature into someone who would prefer a peaceful resolution rather than a violent one.

K
Posted by: MattJ

Re: The hardest thing I've ever done - 06/27/07 11:04 AM

Quote:

Funny, it's the opposite for me.

Touche. Good point, "Where do I go from here?"
Posted by: FightingSpirit

Re: The hardest thing I've ever done - 06/30/07 03:37 AM

Accepting that I have -7 eyes and that they will get worse