My 3 Martial Arts

Posted by: WhiteDragon11

My 3 Martial Arts - 06/15/07 01:06 PM

Ever since I got onto this forum (not that long ago), I got more interested in ground fighting, throws, and grapples. I also got to watching Ultimate Fighter and realized most of their fighting is on the ground and is pinning. Posting the Escaping from Football Tackle has also gotten me feedback to join Judo and other grappling styles.
Now that I have thought through what I want, I have found 3 different arts I want to learn. I like doing stand up fighting so I do kungfu now. I have also become interest in learning Judo, I want to learn the take downs and ways to get out of them. Then for my love for the martial arts movies, I am going to take an Extreme Martial Arts focusing on more of the aerial kicks and fancy stuff.
How do you guys think this is? Is it too many styles? What I would do is the kungfu twice a week. The extreme martial arts style once a week, due to it is the least important in my opinion. Then Judo twice a week. That way I could have the weekends to practice all the styles and get it down. I know I would need more practice. But practicing Judo and Kungfu 4 times a week, is good training in my opinion. Then Extreme martial arts 1 time a week plus practicing them on weekends would get 3 days of practice for that.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: My 3 Martial Arts - 06/15/07 01:15 PM

Sounds expensive! I hope you have a good summer job.

You could also look into MMA, which integrates stand-up and ground-fighting more easily than studying two or more seperate arts.

Re: My 3 Martial Arts - 06/15/07 01:17 PM

I will read some about MMA thank you. Ha I dont have any job to young to work, I can get a job next summer. I think my parents will support me because they would be paying for school sports instead which arent cheap at all. But yeah I totally forgot about price.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: My 3 Martial Arts - 06/15/07 02:33 PM

IMHO, I think that you're "overloading @ the buffet". I always give the same advice: get proficient in one MA before learning another but by all means, don't try 3 @ once.

BTW: Extreme Martial Arts is neither "Extreme" nor a "Martial Art". It's dancing. If you're into performance w/o concern for self-defense...fine but keep in mind, you'll only impress those who don't have a clue (about MA) & be a joke to those who really train (your KF & Judo buddies).

Hope you give this some serious thought.

owari

Re: My 3 Martial Arts - 06/15/07 02:33 PM

K Matt I read through the MMA Forums and I think I would rather take out the extreme martial arts and Judo for BJJ. It has the grappling and ground fighting.
Posted by: Taison

Re: My 3 Martial Arts - 06/15/07 09:39 PM

If you want to be really good at MA, take on art and stick to it for a couple of years.

Don't overload yourself, because you'll just end up sore and tired, but most of all, confused.

Judo for BJJ?? Oh well, every man have different tastes. Let me ask you, which one do you like better? To be on the ground pounding, or standing? If you like ground-work, then go for BJJ, if you like fighting vertically, then go for Judo. They're the same animal different emphasis.

Go get a girl-friend or something. You're still young, enjoy life and only let MA take up a day or two in your normal week. Too much is pushing it, you'll lose out on the little thing I wish I still have called "life".

-Taison out

Re: My 3 Martial Arts - 06/15/07 10:43 PM

Haha I dont need a girlfriend to have fun with one. Yeah, new thing is friends with benefits going back to the 70s.
I would rather standing so I guess bjj is good for me. This is just an idea though. I might just have to do other martial arts when i get older.
Posted by: pepto_bismol

Re: My 3 Martial Arts - 06/16/07 12:50 AM

Quote:

Haha I dont need a girlfriend to have fun with one. Yeah, new thing is friends with benefits going back to the 70s.

Sure...

anyway... buffet line...

as the monk in a poorly dubbed kung fu movie said

"Jack of all trades, master of none. Pity, pity."

I did the same thing as you for a few years, I bounced in between differant styles (karate, ving tsun, boxing, wrestling)

Now I am just doing bjj and wrestling. I guess in the end you have to ask yourself "What do I want to gain from my training the most?" Is it a good ground game, a good stand up game, fancy kicks, a rock hard body etc. Then devote most of your time to training and classes that will help you achieve your goal the quickest.

For me, I chose ground game, then conditioning... hence the bjj and wrestling.

Dragon, what is it you want to gain the most from your training?
Posted by: Taison

Re: My 3 Martial Arts - 06/16/07 12:55 AM

Standing?

Then it's better to take Judo.

BJJ is for emphasising ground-work.

But in the end, I suggest doing both on and off every now and then. Like do a couple of years with Judo, then a couple of years BJJ, and then couple of years with Judo again. Repeat this cycle.

-Taison out
Posted by: CatnPhx

Re: My 3 Martial Arts - 06/16/07 04:01 AM

Just stick with your Kung Fu for now. I'm assuming you haven't been doing that for enough time to become proficient. After several years (at least 4-5), then think about something else. Don't burn yourself out ... skill takes years and you have plenty of time on your side.

By the way, once you get out from under your parents wing, you're going to have to pick just one because it will get expensive. Joining a good MMA school will save you time and money if you really want to learn stand-up and ground stuff.

Re: My 3 Martial Arts - 06/23/07 09:23 PM

I want to work both groundfighting and stand up fighting. My stand up fighting is kungfu, so bjj might be better for my groundfighting.