Bruising

Posted by: Ed_Morris

Bruising - 06/12/07 10:37 PM

what does bruising do for you? lets say your regular training regime consists of banging arms and/or smacking legs hard enough each night to cause bruising...

long-term what does it do? does it deaden the nerves so you feel less pain on those areas? does it strengthen tissue or enlarge bone mass?

are those necessarily 'good' things?

sure incidental bruises happen in training, but I'm talking about the intentional 'conditioning' where limbs are whacked repeatedly and cause bruising.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Bruising - 06/12/07 10:50 PM

Never did intentional conditioning, but I sure got my share of bruises doing AKK. You get used to them to a degree, but bad ones would make me slow down my training until they healed.

I tried not to get bad ones.

Re: Bruising - 06/12/07 10:55 PM

what would you say are the long-term effects? I don't train this way, but it came up in a discussion after class tonight - so was curious of the views on it.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Bruising - 06/12/07 11:02 PM

I think one can gain some mental fortitude from a certain amount of hard contact. Ideally IMHO, there shoudn't be much in the way of physical long term effects ie; "I can't feel my legs!"

More, the mental strength of "I can handle getting hit fairly hard."

Re: Bruising - 06/12/07 11:08 PM

assuming someone will target your forearms and legs in an attack?

I mean, people don't intentionally condition their face, do they? yet, the head is a prime target.
Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Re: Bruising - 06/13/07 12:20 AM

Well I don't think people who do that are doing it in case people strike their limbs, but so that they don't hurt themselves when striking someone else.

I don't know about why its done for arms and legs, but punching someone's head really hurts.
Posted by: Tashigae

Re: Bruising - 06/13/07 03:03 AM

Quote:

sure incidental bruises happen in training, but I'm talking about the intentional 'conditioning' where limbs are whacked repeatedly and cause bruising.

In my experience, the bruising quickly stops. After a few weeks of daily conditioning, the targeted area gets able to withstand the blows without bruising. But it might not be the same for everyone, because I always bruised very scarcely anyway. I remember some sparring sessions when my partner’s shins would end black and blue with ecchymosis while mine (although hurting just as much) showed no exterior sign of the punishment they had taken. In any case, I doubt the bruising keeps occurring forever: that would take a lot from the point of conditioning in the first place, in my opinion.
Posted by: jpoor

Re: Bruising - 06/13/07 09:27 AM

We did a lot of bone conditioning in my old school. We would stand there and whack forearms in a swinging/blocking motion and then stand face to face and kick one another in the shins.

Whether or not the pseudo-medical explanation of what takes place is true or not, I don't know, but I do know that the conditioning "worked."

The forearms of the people who did this often and with some intensity were harder/firmer to the touch and they were much more effective when used as a strike during blocking. (Every block is a strike...) Some of them felt like you were getting nailed by solid rock even though obviously you weren't.

Blocking was less painful on the arms as well. I'll gladly put my conditioned forearm to someones unconditioned shin any day. Obviously you can't to that with every kick or you'll get your arm broken.

I shin blocked a round kick once while sparring and my opponent couldn't continue (her school did no conditioning).

Now for the pseudo-medical... As the bone gets damaged it "grows new layers" that make it thicker and harder.

Not sure if that is really how it works or not, but I do know that when you break a bone a similar process happens and the mended break can often be stronger than the original. As for the the pain part, I don't know if it is an increase in tolerance or damage to the nerves. Maybe even both.
Posted by: crablord

Re: Bruising - 06/13/07 09:30 AM

not damage, a constant "pressure" if you will.
Light conditioning in other words.

Its much like weight lifting, do it properly and paced and you will gain, do a thousand reps in 10 minutes and it does [censored] all
Posted by: harlan

Re: Bruising - 06/13/07 09:37 AM

I can't find the article...but did read a medical description of what actually happens to the bone structure during the 'conditioning' process. Pics included. Was pretty interesting...but it didn't address bruising...only bone density/calcification. Isn't excessive bruising dangerous?

Re: Bruising - 06/13/07 09:43 AM

bruising is just the damage to nerves or something isnt it?

dont think its dangerous
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Bruising - 06/13/07 09:44 AM

It's called Wolff's Law:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolff's_law

Basically means that bone density increases to match loads and forces imposed upon it over time. I don't know what the long term implications are for this kind of training but I doubt that the health of your joints or muscle tissue will be brilliant while using this kind of training.

Conditioning is a grey area for me personally. The benefits do not outweigh the potential costs in my opinion but if you're willing to pay the price for strengthened bones then it's a viable training method. What I can say is that just conditioning training on its own won't make you a good martial artist and you can be a good martial artist even without any conditioning training at all.

P.S. Bruising is not nerve damage, it's caused by capillary damage and blood filling an area under the skin. As with all cases of internal bleeding, it can lead to complications (albeit rarely in the case of light bruising). Nerve damage may accompany bruising.

Repeated light bruising can aggravate the damage and cause more serious injury over time.

Bruising on purpose for conditioning is silly and potentially dangerous with no obvious benefits I can think of. Conditioning is done for the purpose of strengthening bones, not for causing damage to your muscle tissue and capillaries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruise

I'm sure any doctors we have on here can expand on this information.

P.P.S. Weight lifting is a completely different case and is completely safe as long as you follow correct form. Progressive improvement in strength from weightlifting is a result of improved muscle fibre recruitment and an increase in muscle cross-sectional area caused by micro-tears in muscle tissue which do not cause damage to capillaries. Weightlifting should not be used as an analogy for conditioning.

Pseudo-science... I never saw the point in listening to it when there are hundreds of actual scientific studies on this kind of subject.
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Bruising - 06/13/07 10:17 AM

I agree with Leo-E-49(and like replies) 1st statement that it increases muscle and bone density. The same as someone mentioned that weigtht lifting it breaks down the muscles and the body rebuilds it bigger and stronger. If done properly it in of benifit to a Martial artist or for self-defense practitioner. To a sport ethusueasist it does little because usually you are in pads, and you can put pads on as many places as you like.

In all the various combat orinetated Martial arts, that I've studied (including my base Goju, so I've had a one up), there is a form of body conditioning that can starts with limb banging.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Bruising - 06/13/07 10:19 AM

But what about bruising? I thought that excessive bruising was dangerous (blot clots, necrosis, etc.)?

Re: Bruising - 06/13/07 10:20 AM

as leo stated, it must be gradual.

So kicking the heavy bag is the way to go, dont go kicking metal poles.

Re: Bruising - 06/13/07 10:29 AM

Quote:

But what about bruising? I thought that excessive bruising was dangerous (blot clots, necrosis, etc.)?

I'd avoid hitting a bruised area until it heals completely. You should treat a bruise like any other injury: Rest, Ice Compression, Elevation (RICE) and if bruising persists without healing, refer to a doctor.

Using padded surfaces for conditioning is probably a better idea. Muay Thai artists used to use banana trees for conditioning. What most people fail to realise is that the trunks of banana trees is quite soft and pliable. Then again, in China they used hard stuff like ball bearings and sand. I'd avoid this kind of training personally, not my cup of tea.

Then again, I'm not a doctor, so consult one if you're going to start a conditioning routine.

Re: Bruising - 06/13/07 10:37 AM

As I stated and this is just my opinion, IF DONE PROPERly (some apply a certain oniment afterwards to show no or hardly any signs of conditioning).

Kicking a metal pole or bigger trees when told you are ready is possible but not practical, you feel your power absorbed into the tree you hardly feel any impact to the shin. This is not recommended training it is just a test, that use to be done.

So you both are right, I'm talking about conditioning not brusing on purpose. But they can be same just done in less haste.

After nearly thrity years my right hand does ache sometimes but that could be from 20yrs of keyboarding (CT) rather then conditioning training. Punching something(makiwari, hbag or pads) seems to make the pain go away.

Re: Bruising - 06/13/07 10:46 AM

The question I like to ask people who do conditioning is: what are you going to be punching that's going to be so hard you need to train for it by hitting wood/concrete/other hard objects anyway? I always like to think that if you're going to hit a hard surface, like the jaw, you should use a soft striking implement, like a palm-heel. If you're striking a soft surface, like the floating rib, you can use a hard implement, like a punch. Why risk breaking your hand on someone's forehead when there are much nicer and more effective targets anyway?

Re: Bruising - 06/13/07 12:00 PM

Quote:

The question I like to ask people who do conditioning is: what are you going to be punching that's going to be so hard you need to train for it by hitting wood/concrete/other hard objects anyway? I always like to think that if you're going to hit a hard surface, like the jaw, you should use a soft striking implement, like a palm-heel. If you're striking a soft surface, like the floating rib, you can use a hard implement, like a punch. Why risk breaking your hand on someone's forehead when there are much nicer and more effective targets anyway?

\

This may sound like nonsense now or Old fashion but from experience in the heat of things, I've seen guys who can hit the heavy bag and pads as fast & hard as I can. But in a conflict I've seen my buddies hit a guy stagger him but he keeps fighting. Some kind of way we exchange combatives or in another situation I hit this same person and he's Out or goes down and is cut badly. We joke sometimes that he soften them up for me. But in other conflicts snapping strikes like back fist or punches to the face cut gashes or huge swelling, to the body, arms and limbs big bruises. Sometimes holding on I tear the shirt sleeve off. I agree that the palm is a great tool to use on the hard r soft parts of the body. But knowing Iron Palm is better using this as an example.

I continue having the tools that you can strike almost anywhere with almost anything makes target selection less a bother (meaning you care less if its the jaw bone or cheek bone), you still need accuracy. But its not that hard if he staggered or holding his arm or limping and you got a hold of him. I also use hand formations for various task.

There use to be something trained called a weapon art and they were not talking about using external weapons all the time. Of course you make a weapon out of your body by learning the what, how and where. But you also sharpen these weapons by conditioning them it was taught.

I've seen my Instructor fight on the street 3 strike combination on a guy 30-40lbs heavier 1st strike was like a hammer the guys eyes rolled back and was falling the other two strikes were just finishers. He told the guy he didn't want to fight. This same Rhino had beaten and taken some heavy blows from a bigger guy then himself in a pervious fight. You'd thinking little Sensei Tony didn't have a chance, but his hands were like stones.

As a 3rd kyu my Instructor asked me which hand or side of the body did you what to donate to the art. He stated that he didn't have this choice both sides were used.

I don't teach this unless they want it, as I mentioned if you are competition orientated you don't need old style body conditioning. It did seem to work when I needed it.
Its not a big deal anymore almost a lost art.

I agree about the high forehead but have you ever struck someone between the eyes or just above it?

I've seen my Teachers break coconuts with their punches/strikes, that usually takes a hammer. I've done it with a hammer fist and palm strike.
Posted by: jpoor

Re: Bruising - 06/13/07 12:14 PM

Quote:

I look at this two ways.

The first is; training should be more difficult than the required real world task. An old Russian proverb "Difficult in training, easy in battle." So you train by striking a surface that is harder than the intended target so that the target is no threat at all.

The second is; if through training I can make my arms harder / more dense, then they will do more damage to the target surface. That goes for soft or hard targets.

Re: Bruising - 06/13/07 12:21 PM

Those are good explanations. I suppose it all depends on your fighting style.