POLL - How much do your lessons cost?

Posted by: MattJ

POLL - How much do your lessons cost? - 06/07/07 01:48 PM

We get a lot of questions about how much does it cost? So let's find out. Please give the closest approximation to your monthly lessons in $US -
Posted by: clmibb

Re: POLL - How much do your lessons cost? - 06/07/07 01:58 PM

I help teach to I exchange what I would normally pay for myself and my son for free lessons. Normally I would pay $60/month and if I paid for myself and my son it would be $110.

Casey
Posted by: Borrek

Re: POLL - How much do your lessons cost? - 06/07/07 02:27 PM

$79 a month for iaido. Drops to $64 a month if I pay for a year in advance.
Posted by: schanne

Re: POLL - How much do your lessons cost? - 06/07/07 02:32 PM

My cost is free for life since I teach. My kids are $125.00 each per month, they can train every night from 4:30pm to 6:15pm if they desire (I wish) Our MA is JJJ and Goju Ryu and grappling. Kids can't do any MMA work until they are older for obvious reasons. The grappling is limited also due to the powerful lock and joint manipulation.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: POLL - How much do your lessons cost? - 06/07/07 03:21 PM

$64.20 CAD per month that allows me 6 days a week/8 classes though I've never taken full advantage of this. I usually give $65 and don't worry about the change as I get other benefits that money couldn't purchase. This is for TKD/BJJ, though more emphasis on the TKD; however the other benefits are BJJ/MMA related.
Posted by: tkd_high_green

Re: POLL - How much do your lessons cost? - 06/07/07 04:43 PM

my training is "free" since I teach, but the regular student pays 55 a month or 150 for three months. Classes are held 6 days a week.

Laura
Posted by: iaibear

Re: POLL - How much do your lessons cost? - 06/07/07 04:51 PM

Of course there are between fifteen and twenty scheduled classes per week and I would be permitted to attend all of them.

There is not enough of me to make it that far.
Posted by: Tashigae

Re: POLL - How much do your lessons cost? - 06/07/07 11:02 PM

My first instructor, an amazing fellow who went by the name Ishikawa Ken-Ichi, only taught to friends, for free. Two classes a week, approximately 2 to 3 hours a class. He then considered making it 30 euros a year, but unfortunately he moved and I lost track of him. I don’t know if he still teaches, and if he does I don’t know if he charges for it now.

Then my jujutsu / kobudo instruction in the UK, at the hand of Mr. Garry Philips (rokudan) was 5 pounds a class, 5 classes a week (1 on Monday, 2 on Wednesday, 2 on Saturday). Attending two classes on the same day got them reduced to 7 quids for both (which was systematically the case for me since I always attended all 5 weekly lessons).

My Chinese MA instruction in France, by Mr. Nguyen Nguen-Ha (qiduan, Chinese equivalent of a shichidan) costs 380 euros a year for one weekly class, and for 480 you can attend as many as you like (every week has: a traditional gongfu class, a competition-wushu class, a basic taiji-quan class, an advanced taiji-quan class, a sanda class, a qigong class, each class lasts 2h30).

My iaido instruction, by Ms. Frédérique Sanselme (not sure what her rank is, come to think of it I never asked her) costs 20 euros a year (+ 14 for the federation license stamp), one class a week, 2 hours.
Posted by: Eregos

Re: POLL - How much do your lessons cost? - 06/07/07 11:33 PM

I pay $325 every 3 months, which makes it about 108.3 a month. that includes classes twice a week and sparring class once a week.
Posted by: harlan

Re: POLL - How much do your lessons cost? - 06/08/07 08:57 AM

I don't pay fees, but even if I did I wouldn't equate monetary fees with a 'return'. I don't approach martial arts as something one can 'get' for money, and wouldn't take teaching from someone with that perspective. I think that it's futile to compare what one 'pays' and what one gets in return; For me, it's all about the intangibles.
Posted by: ThomsonsPier

Re: POLL - How much do your lessons cost? - 06/08/07 09:09 AM

I've just discovered I don't like the monthly cost in dollars because it sounds like twice as much (but then so does my salary). £50 per month works out at about £6 per two hour lesson.

Re: POLL - How much do your lessons cost? - 06/08/07 10:08 AM

Quote:

I don't pay fees, but even if I did I wouldn't equate monetary fees with a 'return'. I don't approach martial arts as something one can 'get' for money, and wouldn't take teaching from someone with that perspective. I think that it's futile to compare what one 'pays' and what one gets in return; For me, it's all about the intangibles.

What are you talking about? I never equated fees with quality or anything else. I am asking about costs only.

Re: POLL - How much do your lessons cost? - 06/08/07 10:10 AM

Huh. Just my response...didn't mean to intimate anything.

Feel free to delete it. Sorry I even responded now.

Re: POLL - How much do your lessons cost? - 06/08/07 10:23 AM

OK. As you responded to my post, I though you were directing that at me. I didn't understand the context of your response, since it seemed to reach beyond the intent of the OP.

My apologies.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: POLL - How much do your lessons cost? - 06/08/07 11:40 AM

Why would anyone pay $100 or more for 1 month of lessons? I can understand if someone is taking 2 curricula (say, karate & iaido for example).

Back in the early '90's, I started training @ the Gracie Academy, almost an hour form my home. $85.00/mo was just too steep then. I wonder what it is now?

I think it's a matter of perceived value. It's the difference between McDonald coffee & Starbucks coffee. BJJ had this aura of being superior so higher tuition was the natural consequence. Meanwhile, generic karate & judo dojo continued to charge reasonable rates.

The McDojo phenomenon proves that if you can talk a good rap about how good your new art is when compared w/ all those old tratitional (used as a derogatory) MA, you put enough red electrical tape on the end of your belt & you outfit your school w/ enough dragon paintings, you can charge a lot more.

Glad to see that most of the responses were < $100.00.
Posted by: CA_Isshinryu

Re: POLL - How much do your lessons cost? - 06/08/07 12:06 PM

I pay around $125/month for unlimited classes on six days a week that the school is open. I could pay less for three classes a week or even less for two clases a week. I could easily be down to the $90ish/month range. This is California mind you so it's a bit more expensive that other places.

That being said I do not feel that I pay money for my martial arts training. I pay money for the excellent traning facility, the air conditioning (gets 115F here in the summer), the fantastic padded floors, the nice kicking bags, the restrooms, the nice spacious changing rooms and the water fountain. Most importantly I pay my monthly dues so that the people that do teach me will actually be there instead of having to make business trips, work evenings and whatever else they would be doing instead of teaching me.

I pay respect to my instructors for them to actually teach martial arts. The money just makes it a nicer more convient enviroment for my martial arts training.

Re: POLL - How much do your lessons cost? - 06/08/07 12:18 PM

So...you consider most of what you pay to be a 'facilities' fee? Not for 'lessons' per se?
Posted by: crablord

Re: POLL - How much do your lessons cost? - 06/08/07 12:20 PM

10 bucks a lesson, 100 a month, theres 6 lessons a week.

for 200 I can attend muay thai, Bjj, and mma (no gi) class. as well as use of the gym.

damn fine
Posted by: CA_Isshinryu

Re: POLL - How much do your lessons cost? - 06/08/07 12:38 PM

Harlan,

Yes, I always have had that attitude.

I'm also an instructor in my school, under the supervision of the senior instructors of course as I'm just a shodan, and I still pay my full fees. I learn things twice as well teaching than I ever did being taught and running classes with a limited number of them a week is a gift that I really should be paying extra for!
Posted by: Lambornima

Re: POLL - How much do your lessons cost? - 06/13/07 07:57 PM

my classes are 79$ per month canadian, so roughly 70 american?

classes are 1.5 hours twice a week and if you want, you can go to other dojos for the same cost (ie 5 classes per week, 1.5 hours each for ~70$). you can go to one dojo mondays and wednesdays, a different dojo tuesdays and thursdays and a different one on saturdays.