hmm.... Anyone else?
Posted by: BrianS

Re: vote for chat addition or against it - 04/25/07 10:03 PM

I don't want to talk about it.
Posted by: Cord

Re: vote for chat addition or against it - 04/26/07 08:48 AM

Quote:

I don't want to talk about it.

Crash, I voted 'no'. We have the general talk area, and we have PM ability. That covers everything we need I think. There are plenty of external chat rooms, there is msn instant messenger, there is email. I just dont see a need for a chat room on this site.
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: vote for chat addition or against it - 04/26/07 08:52 AM

I abstain from voting, because I'd be unlikely to use the chat function, if there were one.
Posted by: Reiki

Re: vote for chat addition or against it - 05/01/07 03:51 PM

The main problem as I see it is who would moderate it?

I think as Cord says we are already well covered with PMs and all the other forums.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: vote for chat addition or against it - 05/01/07 04:10 PM

Quote:

Crash, I voted 'no'. We have the general talk area, and we have PM ability. That covers everything we need I think. There are plenty of external chat rooms, there is msn instant messenger, there is email. I just dont see a need for a chat room on this site.

As did I. For myself, and I think many on here, we come on here as work allows it which means for many we would not have time to "chat". Reading posts and then thinking of what you have to say is all that I and others can afford to do. And while there are many on here I'd like to chat with, I can get this done by using the PM feature which I do regularly with others. Nothing like opening FA.com and seeing the envelope knowing you have mail.

FA.com is a forum and not a chat room which I also agree would be hard to moderate. It is about getting people's ideas out there and letting people respond to them. With the forum those same questions, answers, etc. are there for eternity (of a sort) whereas chat is here today and gone in seconds. People cannot be held accountable for chat where as once you stick it on the forum there is no turning back; don't I know it.

I may be wrong and maybe it is a generation thing. Many of the younger people, such as my daughter, chat away on MSN to their buddies and is a form of communication. Whereas I'm older and wiser ( ) and I like to think about what I am going to say and then put it down in text, reread it a few times before pushing send. I like complete sentences, grammar, punctuation and complete words whereas the chat generation have so many words they abbreviate (LOL, etc.) and misspell words, etc. as they want it quick and fast. I tend to want to savor my words and responses a little longer ... though I'm sure my responses may not be any more meaningful ... but they are to me.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: vote for chat addition or against it - 05/01/07 05:00 PM

I agree w/ big "D"...

Now all you chatters, start training!

>
Posted by: Tom2199

Re: vote for chat addition or against it - 05/02/07 11:11 AM

I think a chat room is a good idea, why not?

#1 Its there if you want to use it, you don't have to if you don't want to. very simple.

#2 Adds another aspect to the fighting arts site, its not all just about the forum... right?

#3 Chat is great you can discuss certain things which would not normally be posted about, have a personal discussion or talk about martial arts and current events.

I think it would add a more community feel, it seems like a logical step if you want to keep up with the way things are moving and would just make fa.com better.

Moderation wouldn't be an issue, set rules can be placed the same as the forum and bots can be added to chat to filter or kick spam. Mod rights can be given to certain members. However if you did do it i think it should be a fun place to chat not to strict thats the point of chat after all.

Just some thoughts!