Systema demo

Posted by: MattJ

Systema demo - 03/27/07 09:18 AM

I've seen some good ones.......but this ain't one of them. Some very questionable stuff, although I liked the high RH kick defense at 0:41.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbvzFXwHJnU
Posted by: Tom2199

Re: Systema demo - 03/27/07 09:32 AM

if it was that easy to takes someones legs out with your own id be doing it in the grapple ever 5 seconds

how many BJJers would have taken his legs? wait how many BJJ white belts...

i thought it was fact you had more control and mobility in your arms then your legs lol
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Systema demo - 03/27/07 10:31 AM

Duh...I've got an AK, he's got a knife. Let's hit him with the gun.

Posted by: alext

Re: Systema demo - 03/27/07 10:38 AM

Well I dont really rate it as a martial art, but it does give whats needed in a...survival army combat situation.

There were a few things that did seem wierd though. The over emphasis on taking the knife, an off balance spin, and a roll that if gone wrong, could be devistating in a real situation. Also ...where in combat does someone hit you with the nosel of a gun ?

I think a few of the things they were missing were.
"actions to take as someone holds a gun up to shoot you"
"actions to take as someone draws a handgun"
"actions to take whilst on the floor"
After all, I would have thought hand to hand combat like that would be rare :P
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: Systema demo - 03/27/07 10:39 AM

Quote:

I was wondering about that myself. He's swinging a knife at me, so I'll cross my rifle over my arms, using it to deflect the blows? Neh-eh.

I can comfortably say I'll never be in a situation where I'll be attacked by a knife-wielding assailant while I'm holding an assault rifle. But if I were, you can bet my first reaction would be to start stress-testing that trigger.
Posted by: alext

Re: Systema demo - 03/27/07 10:41 AM

Quote:

he could have luckily fired his last round into the wall as you did a rolling kick into his chest! :P
Posted by: AkhilleusWeeps

Re: Systema demo - 03/27/07 11:07 AM

I thought the exact same thing Tom. That was obviously a technique too "dangerous" to use on a resisting opponent. *note sarcasm*

Systema to me, is like Russian Aikido. Not take anything from Aikido but for a system that's supposed to be used in combat, performed by soldiers, it's so overly based on theory.

I think MACP is a better approach.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Systema demo - 03/27/07 11:11 AM

Man, was he break dancing? When he was on his back spinning his legs..It looked very close to the windmill..
Posted by: Cord

Re: Systema demo - 03/27/07 11:58 AM

A lot of the stuff in the first 2 minutes looked very similar to certain aspects of Taijutsu, and the 'breakdancing' drills are their kind of ukemi i guess.
The thing is, that the biomechanics of it all are sound, and it looks lovely when you have aguy who is compliant to it all, but I bet to hell and back that guy wouldnt be looking so assured f one of his 'victims' just came out swingin' full force. Theory and application, the old acid test, and it wasn;t taken in this footage.
Posted by: Saisho

Re: Systema demo - 03/27/07 09:24 PM

Quote:

I've seen some good ones.......

Let me know where, I've been looking.
Posted by: Dudley32

Re: Systema demo - 03/27/07 10:10 PM

I think a lot of the gun stuff assumes a bayonet on the end of the gun. That would explain a lot of the techniques.

Also when someone pulls a knife and starts swinging you probably would have to know how to block with your gun until you get a chance to take a shot.

Overall I thought it was showing some good ideas.

Matt
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Systema demo - 03/27/07 10:48 PM

I couldn't even watch the whole thing.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Systema demo - 03/28/07 01:46 AM

I thought that some of the concepts were sound. At first I was wondering about using a rifle against an unarmed attacker..shoot him.

But what if you're out of ammo or in a place where shooting is ill-advised. A rifle doesn't have to be just a club. Hmmm.
Posted by: schanne

Re: Systema demo - 03/28/07 07:54 AM

Well.....personally i think the Uke was terrible. He could have made the situations more dangerous instead of just standing in one spot without any energy. Again, self defense is nothing unless you practice your techniques actively vs. static..........had some nice techniques but they were not presented well on the video, not impressed. JMHO
Posted by: Isshinryukid4life

Re: Systema demo - 03/28/07 08:15 AM

Now,that was pathetic.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Systema demo - 03/28/07 11:39 AM

As a demo, I'd agree. But this was clearly a seminar w/ the instructor showing techniques slowly for instruction sake.

Did I like all the techniques? No, some were just plain unrealistic but I looked below the surface for the body movement which looked sound.

And yes, a bad uke (even in a class) makes the techniques weak. Too bad the video man didn't show the techniques full speed or w/ a resistant uke (if it happened @ all).
Posted by: BulldogTKD

Re: Systema demo - 03/28/07 02:05 PM

I was just looking at this site (BullShido) after I read your post. Interseting reading.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52259