criticism/advice

Posted by: AkhilleusWeeps

criticism/advice - 03/26/07 05:53 PM

Okay...screwed last post....perhaps I'll have better luck this time. I'd appreciate any feed back on things that appear wrong/different and advice on how to fix said wrong things.

Thanks for your time.

me and bob (youtube)
Posted by: JimmySmith

Re: criticism/advice - 03/27/07 03:54 AM

No probs, I'll break it down to upper and lower body-
Upper body: Your left jab is a little lazy, and I'd like to see it thrown more than it is currently, great left hook though. I felt you actually looked a little moree comfortable from southpaw, your right jab is certainly more attractive and you've a nasty little cross from there. Generally felt you should focus more jabs to the head rather than the body but overal pass marks here.
Lower body:
Please don't flame me for this... Ok, you look like you could use a little more flexibility in the legs (if you're going to kick bob in the stomach) because right now the kicks are coming out slow and being left hanging out there.
Fixes:
Power in your legs are lacking- If things are feeling uncomfortable maybe try more of a shuttle kick. I would recommend trying to bring your knee through first in most of your kicks (Throw a knee and once the knee is past the point you want to strike extend the foot). This will increase the speed and power of the kick (higher torque) + inertia should carry the foot through. Props for posting though.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: criticism/advice - 03/27/07 08:16 AM

Thanks for posting the video for us. I like the combos, you looked pretty fluid. I did notice that you opened your guard often when doing ribs shots on the Bob.

But overall pretty nice!

Re: criticism/advice - 03/27/07 10:06 AM

Thanks for the replys!

Jimmy, completely agree that speed and control is lacking in the kick department. I believe the main issue is, as you said, my flexibility. I'll have to spend more time stretching these mornings, on a side note: do you preffer dynamic over static stretching or vice versa?

Matt, Thanks I have no rhythm on the dance floor so thats the only place you'll see me moving fluid. hehe ^_^

About the rib shots, what portion of the body do you suggest I cover up most when performing hits as these? I would think face since I'm coming in a little low most of the times but I think I'll have to tape my fist to my face to get used to that. I believe the momentum kind of takes me and the other hand just flails.
Posted by: Raul Perez

Re: criticism/advice - 03/27/07 01:36 PM

In the beginning your hand speed was lacking but you picked it up near the end.

3 pointers:

1 - seems a lot of the time you are just hitting the BOB dummy. Try to hit through the BOB dummy. That base should be bouncing all over the place from you wailing away on it.

2 - Mix your hands and your feet in combos. I had a problem with this as well. I either punched or kicked. That is what you are doing. punches and end with a kick. Kick and end with punches.

3 - Add Knees and elbows to your work out. It adds a lot of diversity when you spar.
Posted by: JohnL

Re: criticism/advice - 03/27/07 02:36 PM

Hey AK

Only 2 thoughts other than those already raised.

1. Stop droping your hands while you're kicking.
2. Almost all your initial jabs are targeted at the torso. It's unlikely that a jab would hurt a conditioned body. They are better to the head so they create a distraction (Yes, I know the dummy isn't going to flinch!) and if they do connect to head you'll get more bang for your buck.
Posted by: JimmySmith

Re: criticism/advice - 03/28/07 02:14 AM

I'm pretty lazy with my stretching, though I've always been highly flexible so it doesn't show. From a mechanics point of view, the body is damn intelligent and learns too quickly so dynamic stretching should have benefits though I've never bothered. (With weight training I'm very careful of this though, the body will try to cheat as much as possible so even working out at the same time daily is less effective than changing workout times)
Posted by: Taison

Re: criticism/advice - 03/28/07 03:36 AM

One thing people forgot which is really important. .

YOUR CHIN!!!!

Why do you keep them so exposed?!?! Tuck your chin behind the shoulder on EVERY shot you make.

On your uppercuts, why are you pushing with your rear leg?

Not enough face hits.

On your thrust kick, it was nice, but you need to lean back when pushing, or else your opponent can push through your kick and make you fall down.

Roundhouse kicks. No hip motion there. All I saw was a 'dud'. A leg tapping the target, not a powerful kick. Also might need to work on stretching a bit, but that's not a major problem. You got to improve your mechanics.

An advice from someone who's done a lot of things by myself. Don't jab or punch the chest too much. I've always found it a hard target. It's a lot nicer on your hands when you punch the body (abs, spleen and liver area). True, if you hit with a hard cross on the opponent's chest, it may momentarily paralyze him and set up for a good KO, but it's very very rare for a hit to land on the chest. When I put up my peek-a-boo guard, the only target open is the body. Go for either body or head shots, the chest isn't really worth it.

Another thing. . why don't you 'punch' through Bob instead of at him? All I see is you trying to hit him, when you should be hitting 'through' him. Need more follow up on your punches imo.

-Taison out
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: criticism/advice - 03/28/07 08:39 AM

Too much thinking between one set of action and the next.

Could almost hear you say, 'ok, here I come now'

And take a half step towards the dummy when jabbing because a non-dummy will flinch back a little and you'll be jabbing air.

On the positive side, a good sense of rhythm.

A little bad habit is taking a few "loosening" skips when you needed a rest. If this is read by your opponent, he'll attack you right at that moment.

Re: criticism/advice - 03/28/07 04:21 PM

Funny that you mention that Palm,

Exactly what happens when I spar brown belts, they see right through me. I attack, and as soon as I step back (I do lunge in when jabbing/striking during sparring) I usually get kicked either mid-section or head. It's interesting that they just throw the kick and I step back right into their instep.

Re: criticism/advice - 03/28/07 04:29 PM

Aw Tyson, I thought I was tucking in my chin ...lol guess I'll have to work on that aswell.

About the chest hits, I think whats going on is I'm subconsciously preparing my self for knockdown karate. Though I know the chest area is not always the main target what I'm trying to accomplish is getting to the solar plexus.

About punching at him. I didn't really want bob bouncing around as I would have probably had to bring him back into middle focus of camera so kinda just taped him. looks pretty pu$$y now that I think about it.

OH, and hip motion. Major eye opener there that is definately an area that needs work.

Thanks for the critique =]