This afternoon fighting fun.

Posted by: Shorinjiryumike

This afternoon fighting fun. - 03/25/07 12:52 AM

These are from a Kohaku tournament this afternoon. Strictly no head contact and first good hit in. I am the one in the black shield. First time fighting in a while. ( injured hand) We normally fight head contact, and continuous fighting, this time we didn't, so the guards admittedly are a little lax. Feel free to comment.

It was an accident!
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3291181798082837517&hl=en
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4296152066469348340&hl=en
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: This afternoon fighting fun. - 03/25/07 01:02 AM

Quote:

It was an accident!

thought you said there was no head contact. lol
Posted by: shadowkahn

Re: This afternoon fighting fun. - 03/25/07 11:52 AM

Quote:

Feel free to comment.

You're not half bad. Don't spin kick. Your opponent was slow, otherwise every time you spun he had a nice opportunity to rush you and there wouldn't be a thing you could do about it. In fact, don't kick at all unless it's low (knee or below) (and if that's against the rules in the fight, then don't kick at all)- - look how many times you guys grabbed each other's leg off of a kick. Kicks are SLOW and it's way too easy for an opponent to grab your leg if you kick that high. Concentrate on your hands. They're faster and harder to stop, and if your opponent does manage to grab one, you can knock him off balance by rushing him. Any time your foot comes off the ground, you have lost balance, and the unbalanced one is at a disadvantage.

Re: This afternoon fighting fun. - 03/25/07 01:13 PM

Thanx for the advice. I thought did Ok for an almost 40 year old who hadn't fought in a year due to hand injuries.

Re: This afternoon fighting fun. - 03/25/07 01:29 PM

Quote:

Thanx for the advice. I thought did Ok for an almost 40 year old who hadn't fought in a year due to hand injuries.

Oh, almost 40. Gee, you're so ancient

Yeah, I think you did OK too. You were certainly better than the guys you were up against.
Posted by: AkhilleusWeeps

Re: This afternoon fighting fun. - 03/25/07 01:39 PM

If your hands are healed, I saw alot of opportunities to enter while opponents were kicking with their guards down, hitting the solar plexus/stomach area would have been easy or will be once you get your timing/cardio back up.

Good power on some of those kicks..... minus the groin shot. =P

Edit***

About being older....even though some of the older cats in my dojo are about the same weight/height as some of us younger guys they seem to always have a little more power/weight behind strikes. I usually call it jack hammer strength because it seems to come from manual labor. It's functional muscle. I guess what I'm saying is even though you are older it shouldn't be hold you back one bit, use what you have to your advantage and work on those hand strikes! Nothings more awsome than landing a hit to the solar plexus through a bogu and having your partner fall to his knee's.

Re: This afternoon fighting fun. - 03/25/07 01:43 PM

It is always easier from the outside looking in. Good observation though. Thank You

Re: This afternoon fighting fun. - 03/25/07 03:06 PM

Quote:

It is always easier from the outside looking in. Good observation though. Thank You

I'm getting the impression you don't want anyone to critique your performance. If so, perhaps you should consider for next time not including the remark "feel free to comment."

Re: This afternoon fighting fun. - 03/25/07 03:24 PM

Aw, well that's okay if he's a little self conciouse about his performence. Not to worry though I'll have a clip of my self soon and he can judge away at my inadequacies.

On a side note, I liked that headgear. I'm wondering if those are the same as those worn in Kudo? Where are they from Mike?
Posted by: Cord

Re: This afternoon fighting fun. - 03/25/07 05:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Feel free to comment.

You're not half bad. Don't spin kick. Your opponent was slow, otherwise every time you spun he had a nice opportunity to rush you and there wouldn't be a thing you could do about it. In fact, don't kick at all unless it's low (knee or below) (and if that's against the rules in the fight, then don't kick at all)- - look how many times you guys grabbed each other's leg off of a kick. Kicks are SLOW and it's way too easy for an opponent to grab your leg if you kick that high. Concentrate on your hands. They're faster and harder to stop, and if your opponent does manage to grab one, you can knock him off balance by rushing him. Any time your foot comes off the ground, you have lost balance, and the unbalanced one is at a disadvantage.

this wasn't self defence training, this was moderate contact training of his art, and as such he was attempting to utilise techniques he has been taught. Learning comes from application, and it can be tremendously satisfying and fun if a nice kick lands home- you think they were kicking a lot, try Savate! now thats a foot happy kickathon .

observation 1. In the first clip, was your oponent jumping up and down to try ang 'jiggle' his nards down from where you kicked them? If so, did you get any feedback on where they ended up after the kick

observation 2. in the second clip at 1 min 44 you land a sweet reverse punch that put your oponent on his butt, yet never got given the score. you was robbed!

looked like a lot of fun, wish I was as light on my feet at 32 as you are at 40

Re: This afternoon fighting fun. - 03/25/07 05:40 PM

Now Now would I have posted if I wasn't ready for critique. It is easier from the outside though isn't it?

Re: This afternoon fighting fun. - 03/25/07 05:42 PM

I am not self conscious at all. I won't lose any sleep over any comments. Don't worry.

Re: This afternoon fighting fun. - 03/25/07 05:51 PM

Re observation #1 Ha ha ha

Observation #2 Thanx Cord, I felt robbed at the time and knew I was after I watched the video. Oh well. Like I said Earlier. I'll sleep at night. It was a nice shot though wasn't it. I also got robbed of a front leg roundhouse at the end of the first fight.

This tournament was under different rules then we normally fight with, the fighting wasn't as intense as it often gets. But still fun fun fun.

Re: This afternoon fighting fun. - 03/25/07 05:55 PM

The headgear I was wearing? It is made by Supersafe. There are many knock offs available. ( Tokaido makes a nice one )They run around 200 canadian. Full leather with the face shield. As I mentioned earlier we normally fight with head contact so the full shield is a must. The headgear is good. It teaches you how to control your breath. If you huff and puff away they fog up instantly, then you can't see, then you get hit.
Posted by: Cord

Re: This afternoon fighting fun. - 03/25/07 06:37 PM

Quote:

As I mentioned earlier we normally fight with head contact so the full shield is a must.

You'll never end up as handsome as me with that attitude

Re: This afternoon fighting fun. - 03/25/07 08:01 PM

Quote:

The headgear I was wearing? It is made by Supersafe. There are many knock offs available. ( Tokaido makes a nice one )They run around 200 canadian. Full leather with the face shield. As I mentioned earlier we normally fight with head contact so the full shield is a must. The headgear is good. It teaches you how to control your breath. If you huff and puff away they fog up instantly, then you can't see, then you get hit.

!!!!!!!
My my, I knew that the headgear of that type is expensive but jeebus thats a wallet KO. You mentioned cheaper gear, got any idea/links to where I can find some...I already searched and found nothing below 175$ US. =[

Re: This afternoon fighting fun. - 03/25/07 10:11 PM

Greetings Akhilleus

I might be able to get my hands on one for less, we had a bunch made a while ago. If you are serious I could make a call and find out if there are any left .They retail at 225 Cdn but Dojos were able to get them for 100. They are not as padded on the sides as the Supersafe or Tokaido but the face shield is the same and they seem to hold up pretty well.

Re: This afternoon fighting fun. - 03/25/07 10:14 PM

Age before beauty eh Cord.

Re: This afternoon fighting fun. - 03/26/07 01:10 AM

Quote:

this wasn't self defence training, this was moderate contact training of his art, and as such he was attempting to utilise techniques he has been taught.

yeah, I understand that. If it was real self defense training I'd have been fussing at him for not running away instead of sticking around to fight.

Quote:

Learning comes from application, and it can be tremendously satisfying and fun if a nice kick lands home- you think they were kicking a lot, try Savate! now thats a foot happy kickathon .

Eh, to a point. Even in a sport, rather than a real fighting style, if something doesn't work you shouldn't use it. If your (American) football coach is telling you to run straight at the biggest defender out there, it might be a good idea to think twice about taking that advice

Quote:

observation 1. In the first clip, was your oponent jumping up and down to try ang 'jiggle' his nards down from where you kicked them? If so, did you get any feedback on where they ended up after the kick

I'd say somewhere in his cranium after watching that kick again Why wasn't he wearing a cup?

Quote:

observation 2. in the second clip at 1 min 44 you land a sweet reverse punch that put your oponent on his butt, yet never got given the score. you was robbed!

Agreed, and the point that got scored on you was weak by comparison. You absolutely should have gotten credit for that.

Re: This afternoon fighting fun. - 03/26/07 03:24 AM

Quote:

Greetings Akhilleus

I might be able to get my hands on one for less, we had a bunch made a while ago. If you are serious I could make a call and find out if there are any left .They retail at 225 Cdn but Dojos were able to get them for 100. They are not as padded on the sides as the Supersafe or Tokaido but the face shield is the same and they seem to hold up pretty well.

I'm going to ask a couple of buddies if they're willing to make the purchase with me. I'll PM you soon. I know they may have no more but perhaps other arrangements can be made. THANKS!
Posted by: MattJ

Re: This afternoon fighting fun. - 03/27/07 01:06 PM

Hey, I finally got to watch the vids. Mike, you looked pretty sharp! Good speed on your strikes. Your sparring remeinded me of the stuff that RazorFoot and I used to do.

Re: This afternoon fighting fun. - 03/27/07 04:47 PM

Thanx Matt, I felt pretty good for an almost 40 year old who hasn't fought in a year. I was sucking wind by the end of the second fight though. It is hard work keeping ahead of the younger guys.
Posted by: VDJ

Re: This afternoon fighting fun. - 03/27/07 10:23 PM

I don't think it was to bad. I don't agree with the "Don't kick at all" advise, yes hands are faster, but if your not kicking then it is basically a boxing match (plyometric training can help with kicking speed). You telegraph your spin back kick, you have a tendency to re-position your kicking foot just before you throw the kick, kind of bringing it a little behind you so you don't have to have it travel as far. I like the sweeps, wish they were allowed in our competitions, but how come no follow up was allowed after the takedowns occured. One last comment, I don't want to hear no more comments about TKD fighters (more so olympic style)keep their hands down.Both of you left your hands down substantially in the first clip. You were better in the second clip, though they were still down some. All and all, good job (and yes. I'm part of the 40 plus club as well).

VDJ
Posted by: BrianS

Re: This afternoon fighting fun. - 03/27/07 11:01 PM

Hi Mike! Thanks for posting the vids.

Looked pretty good for your age and lack of active sparring. More sparring and implementing the good advice will work wonders.

I noticed too much spinning,hands down,kicks were not set up,and a waste of headgear,lol, but I also realize this was just a practice.

Keep it up!!

Re: This afternoon fighting fun. - 03/28/07 11:53 AM

Thanx Brian. Yeah the hands. The first guy fights no head contact ever. The second guy fights with head contact all the time as do I so our hands were up more. In fact in the second fight I just touch his head gear with a jab and he launches one at my head that I sneak under. When you take the head away as a target the fighting just takes on a completely different tone.
As for the spinning, bad habit I know but I was trying to set him up for a right leg roundhouse later on in the first fight. It turned into a left but what the heck. Video is a great tool.

Re: This afternoon fighting fun. - 03/28/07 11:58 AM

Thanx.VDJ I noticed ( know) that I reposition my foot. Lazy? I was trying to corner him ( first fight) He wanted to throw back leg roundhouse to the bogu. The spin kicks were mostly thrown to set up a front leg roundhouse that I never got to throw but because he was always trying to slip past me the spin kicks seemed reasonable at the time. More practice!