Chinese "Name Stamp" ???

Posted by: Ronin1966

Chinese "Name Stamp" ??? - 03/21/07 10:38 PM

Hello:

Many years ago there was discussion I found quite by accident online (forgotten url) but which spoke of Chinese/Japanese "Name Stamps"... often used on martial arts certificates, and other things.

Can anyone recommend a site/artisan who does them decently well, and perhaps affordably???

Jeff
Posted by: Gaijinja

Re: Chinese "Name Stamp" ??? - 03/21/07 11:24 PM

They're called "Hanko" in Japanese. There are different styles, depending on what you want. For example, round ones are used in place of a personal signature on legal documents and such. Square ones are used to represent an official nature. You'll also either need to decide on whether you want your name in Kanji or Katakana. If you want it in Kanji, you'll have to decide on what Kanji you want. Unfortunately, I don't know any online places for it, but I'm sure you can find one. The expensiveness is usually govern by whether it's hand done, and the material the stamp is made of. Also the size of the stamp adds to the price. I got a costume made one (my Kanji are not a common name in Japanese, since it reflects my English name)from a Japanese department store for about 40 bucks.
Posted by: eyrie

Re: Chinese "Name Stamp" ??? - 03/22/07 01:00 AM

Depends on what "affordable" means.... If you're into DIY, you can try your hand at doing it out of soap stone. I've carved a few myself and it's fairly easy with softer material like soap stone.

Or try http://www.asianbrushart.com/seals.html
Or google custom carved seals

Translation services are usually extra though.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Chinese "Name Stamp" ??? - 03/22/07 01:03 AM

If you're not Chinese or Japanese, why would you want one?

That's about as silly as a Japanese or Chinese in a kilt.
Posted by: ashe_higgs

Re: Chinese "Name Stamp" ??? - 03/22/07 04:30 AM

in chinese they're called "chops". and you might want one to seal student certificates. it looks really nice.

check these guys out.

good stamp

they'll do all the translation for you and include a certificate.

they even have a "martial arts / dojo" package. not exactly cheap though.
Posted by: Taison

Re: Chinese "Name Stamp" ??? - 03/22/07 04:56 AM

Agreed with Hedkikr.

If you're Westerner just go with the normal signature in my opinion.

Actually, that'd be quite funny though. A Japanese in kilt.

-Taison out

Re: Chinese "Name Stamp" ??? - 03/22/07 08:45 AM

Hello Hedkikr:

<<That's about as silly as a Japanese or Chinese in a kilt.

Did not know they had them ...

Good point,
Jeff

Re: Chinese "Name Stamp" ??? - 03/22/07 08:52 AM

Hello Ashe Higgs:

First, thank you for contributing... ! Saw their site... hoping to do some meaningful comparison shopping...

Jeff

Re: Chinese "Name Stamp" ??? - 03/22/07 09:05 AM

Hello Eyrie:

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!
Now I can compare a few... hopefully a few others might be offered as well...

Jeff

Re: Chinese "Name Stamp" ??? - 03/22/07 09:27 AM

Hello Gaijinja:

A pleasure to meet you...

Ok, of the two styles you mentioned they seem.... nearly identical... to this gaijin at least!? In your view why one instead of another...

On for example a promotion certificate using the Kyu-dan ranking method versus the elder Menkyo method? Formal certainly, and... yet also "legal" from a couple of perspectives. Which would be the more appropriate in such a circumstance?

<<Katakana.

Would a katakana hanko have different implications than using the "simple" Kanji hanko, beyond the pronounciation of course?

Seeking to learn...
Jeff
Posted by: schanne

Re: Chinese "Name Stamp" ??? - 03/22/07 11:33 AM

Tradition
Posted by: harlan

Re: Chinese "Name Stamp" ??? - 03/22/07 11:41 AM

Just an observation regarding Japanese in kilts. From what I've seen at the various Highland Games, it would seem that Scottish culture has a certain appeal to some Japanese. There are many Japanese that wear kilts and have an interest in the Scottish culture. Probably due to the similarities...island peoples, clannish, and both have a proud sword culture.
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Chinese "Name Stamp" ??? - 03/22/07 12:04 PM

Have to disagree with you Ed and Taison, and put my money on the table with Harlan.

Lot's of Japanese folk running around with misspelled English on their shirts because "they" like 'em and not caring if the English speaking person thinks it is strange. And, have seen many a round-eye wearing some funky Kanji on a tee...just because.

As per the kilts...perhaps it is the cool breeze a-blowing against the Olsen twins on a hot, sticky day!

Re: Chinese "Name Stamp" ??? - 03/22/07 12:09 PM

...and that's precisely my point. It's not a Western concept or tradition. It's a Gaijin's attempt to start a tradition. If his Sensei/Sifu is Japanese/Chinese & he's using the Sensei/Sifu certificate then it's legitimate. Otherwise it's decoration. As Taison pointed out, a signature is sufficient.

From a Japanese perspective it's silly. My name is Smith so do I use the phoenetic Katakana "Soo-mee-soo" (really silly) or the meaning of my name "metal worker". And if I go w/ the meaning, which "metal worker" there is no direct translation (goldsmith, blacksmith or swordsmith). And if I go w/ the wrong "metal worker", Japanese & Chinese readers will only roll their eyes & shake their heads.

Now if that's not complicated enough, when a Japanese/Chinese reads the name, they'll pronounce the Japanese/Chinese word ("Kinkou, Teitetsukou or Tokou") not my name - Smith ("So nice to meet you Mr. Kinkou").

So if you like the decoration...OK. Just remember it's not your tradition & therefore only looks "authentic" to non-Asians.

(just my Asian perspective...any other Asians see it the same way?)

BTW: Japanese in kilts look silly...it's like playing dress-up.

> I'm not opposed to it because decoration is simply that & Americans can have a good laugh @ "Engrish" (I do all the time). I have no qualm against Kanji tattoos, skateboard decoration or landscaping. It's just from a Japanese/Chinese perspective where legitimacy is highly valued and in turned into another "Oh, brother" between Japanese/Chinese.

Karate (& MA in general) is International so why do we need it if not for decorative purposes only? Now if your Japanese/Chinese sensei/sifu gives you your "chop"...use it.

Re: Chinese "Name Stamp" ??? - 03/22/07 12:12 PM

How is this any different than non-Japanese wearing a gi or hakama in a dojo?

Quote:

Japanese in kilts look silly...it's like playing dress-up.

Re: Chinese "Name Stamp" ??? - 03/22/07 12:22 PM

Because it's the accepted "uniform".

Baseball, the military & jousters all have it's proper & appropriate dress. No different.

Re: Chinese "Name Stamp" ??? - 03/22/07 02:09 PM

Sourpuss.

Quote:

Because it's the accepted "uniform".

Baseball, the military & jousters all have it's proper & appropriate dress. No different.

Re: Chinese "Name Stamp" ??? - 03/22/07 03:37 PM

You sure complicate something not complicated, plus I think they look nice.

Re: Chinese "Name Stamp" ??? - 03/22/07 03:59 PM

Yeah, they look nice. But I'm not complicating anything. I'm just reflecting on the topic from an Asian perspective.

I'm not saying that it's right or wrong, just there are those who will see it as frivolous mimicry. And if you know anything about Asian culture, you'll also know that (in general), Asians care a lot about what others think & say about them.

Americans have an "I don't give a rats azz" attitude. Independance trumps group-think. This can be good (MA evolution) or bordering on the rediculous (too many soke).

I apologise if my POV came across as intollerant because it wasn't my intent (to be a sourpuss). It was to simply to offer an Asian perspective. I mean, if I had spinich in my teeth, I hope someone would point it out early on & not let me go to an important meeting w/ shrubbery in my mouth.

Re: Chinese "Name Stamp" ??? - 03/22/07 04:42 PM

Well for what it's worth when we give out our belt certs I just sign my name at the bottom anyway so....but still think those little stamps look nice.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Chinese "Name Stamp" ??? - 03/22/07 04:50 PM

Quote:

Just an observation regarding Japanese in kilts. From what I've seen at the various Highland Games, it would seem that Scottish culture has a certain appeal to some Japanese. There are many Japanese that wear kilts and have an interest in the Scottish culture. Probably due to the similarities...island peoples, clannish, and both have a proud sword culture.

then there is the whole 'Highlander' Connery with a Katana thing

i dont think Hedkikr is being out of order or 'sensitive' about it in any way. It is intriguing how different cultures 'adopt' certain aspects of customs not their own. Look at St.Patricks Day- its a huge world wide party. Why? I mean, its not like everyone gets all drunk n' crazy in honour of any of the other saints days. Green beer for st.Patricks, anyone get a daffodil in their beer on March the 1st for St.davids day? thought not.

mankind is a strange animal.
Posted by: oldcoach

Re: Chinese "Name Stamp" ??? - 03/22/07 06:10 PM

Hedkikr,

I realize you're simply expressing your own opinion. But if someone wants one, whether they're Chinese or Japanese or not, shouldn't it be their choice?

Quote:

It was to simply to offer an Asian perspective.

What IS the Asian perspective?
Posted by: haze

Re: Chinese "Name Stamp" ??? - 03/22/07 07:43 PM

check it out
http://www.jun-gifts.com/personalizedgifts/hanko/hanko1/hanko1.htm
Posted by: eyrie

Re: Chinese "Name Stamp" ??? - 03/22/07 11:46 PM

Quote:

It's not a Western concept or tradition.

Well, a seal is basically a means of putting your stamp of approval/signature on a formal or official document. The basic purpose of the seal was to serve as a stamp of indisputable authenticity. In very much the same way Western nobility had with their die cast versions and melted wax. Hence the phrases "signed, sealed, and delivered" and "seal of approval".

Personally, and practically, I see very little difference. Even if you are referring to the characters inscribed on such a seal, it's no different to a person's individual 'mark' and/or 'trademark', from a Western perspective. Seals have been in use since biblical times from royalty to nobility to mercantile guilds.

For more information on wax seals, see http://www.waxseals.com/history.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seal_(device)

Re: Chinese "Name Stamp" ??? - 03/23/07 12:32 AM

That it looks silly.

Kanji looks cool to us westerners, but to us asians, it looks weird. (Yikes! I'm in between!)

For example, having the word "Sky", Tian1 or Ten in japanese, is something I've seen often on Westerners, but to us Asians who are literate in kanji thinks "Why does he walk around with the word "Sky" on his bicep?"

Imagine if I tattooed the word S K Y on my arm. Wouldn't you think it looks a bit.. odd? I mean, I could've tattooed a lion or something but opted for the word sky. Same thing with Asians when it comes to Kanji tattooes.

Us Asians, unlike us Westerners (here it goes again), are VERY concerned when it comes to what other people think.

Writing your name in Kanji, is another thing I find very odd for a westerner. My name is Ekstrom, which translated from Swedish to English would be "Oak stream". I could write it in kanji easily but it would be "Oaku Kawa", which isn't my name. Since I've got cantonese ancestry from my mother's side, I'm part of the 'Yuen' family but I never use that name because I'm NOT cantonese, only part.

I'm not against the Westerners trying to get some Asian traditions, I'm just merely giving my opinion like Hedkikr as we both are "halflings" who kinda know how both ways work. For me, who's predominantly Asian, I find it just either odd or silly. Not against it, just finding it odd.

For example, seeing a white guy dressed in the thai national outfit. I just slap my forehead sometimes and smile.

-Taison out

Re: Chinese "Name Stamp" ??? - 03/23/07 01:26 AM

Nice to have someone close by who "gets it".

That's the gift & delema of straddling 2 distinctly different cultures. On one hand, Asians initially assume "you're not one of us" (especially me because I don't look Asian @ all) but they really like it when you show that you know & are familiae w/ the customs & culture.

Definately not THE Asian perspective, just a perspective (mine).

Re: Chinese "Name Stamp" ??? - 03/23/07 01:29 AM

In my fatherland, I get treated like an asian i.e. "You're an immigrant".

In my motherland, I get treated like a westerner i.e. You're very direct and rude. So Western.

To a Swede, I look Thai, to a Thai I look like a Swede. Hard to fit in, aye?

But both societies find me really useful, as I'm like the connecting bridge sometimes and I understand both cultures.

-Taison out

Re: Chinese "Name Stamp" ??? - 03/23/07 08:27 AM

Well, I suppose there is some benefit to understanding cultural bias. I just don't buy into it...the whole 'us vs. them' worldview. 'That looks silly' is something a 3 yr old might say about an old lady wearing a big red hat. I'm not into red hats, but if an old lady wants to wear one I can appreciate it.

But coming from adults, 'that looks silly' is just a way to continue discrimination. I was the only kid wearing a dashiki at the yearly 'Harambee' in the '60's (an 'African' cultural appreciation event)...and as a kid I was tolerated. But as an adult it is 'who is she...that white woman...she doesn't belong...she looks silly in a dashiki.'

It's true that there is just so much that can be directly translated/carried over into another culture. Western names as Chinese characters is just aspect where that doesn't happen seamlessly. It looks 'odd' to the eye educated in Chinese culture...but is it 'silly'?

Re: Chinese "Name Stamp" ??? - 03/23/07 11:49 AM

OK, it looks odd - silly was the wrong word.

It's a nice fairy tale but the fact is, the world has always been about (as you put it) us vs. them - and it's not always a negative thing. "Tribal mentality" is hardwired into us because it's the way we learn from birth. We distinguish (discriminate) the color black from white, then boys from girls & eventually IBM from Apple.

It's not wrong or bad, however prejudging a negative & acting on that prejudice w/o supportive evidence can result in someone getting hurt (physically, empotionally, socio-economically...). Fact is, we'll never all hold hands & sing "We Are The World" although we can make efforts within our own little circles of influence - like this forum.

My point is this: you say that there is benefit to understanding "cultural bias" but you don't buy into it. That, my friend, is the definition of denial (I know I drink a lot but I don't believe it's a problem). Accept that these biases exist within all of us & see how they influence our actions (including speech).

Yes, you have the right to wear a dashiki & you might not care what anyone thinks but if you take the time to ask & listen, you might learn that your "fashion choice" has deeper meaning to a black person that you may never fully comprehend.

(BTW: I majored in Communication w/ an emphasis in Cross-cultural & Organizational Com.)

Re: Chinese "Name Stamp" ??? - 03/23/07 12:00 PM

I see your point, Ed. And as another halfy on the board, I think one can also infer too much into something that another person just digs on an aesthetic level, instead of entering any cross cultural barriers.

If you like it, and you are not seated firmly in some other culture and owe no acceptance within that other culture for your enjoyment of a particular thing, I think it makes no never mind for digging it. The problems come into being when trying to fit yourself into something you are not.

BTW, Taison, my grandfather came from Sweden. Told me once he couldn't speak English until he was eight. I see the correct spelling of my last name every time I go to Ikea and see some of the "designed by" tags.

Re: Chinese "Name Stamp" ??? - 03/23/07 12:16 PM

Quote:

For example, having the word "Sky", Tian1 or Ten in japanese, is something I've seen often on Westerners, but to us Asians who are literate in kanji thinks "Why does he walk around with the word "Sky" on his bicep?"

Imagine if I tattooed the word S K Y on my arm. Wouldn't you think it looks a bit.. odd? I mean, I could've tattooed a lion or something but opted for the word sky. Same thing with Asians when it comes to Kanji tattooes.

LOL...

Tian1, however, can also mean "Heaven", "The Divinity", "Weather" in addition to "Sky", depending on the context in which it is used. But you're probably right. Those who have Tian1 tattooed on their forearms (or wherver) probably doesn't pay much attention to the nuances of the language.

Quote:

Us Asians, unlike us Westerners (here it goes again), are VERY concerned when it comes to what other people think.

Yep, Propriety and "Face" is a very big thing.

Quote:

we both are "halflings"

You're both Hobbits?

Re: Chinese "Name Stamp" ??? - 03/23/07 12:16 PM

Yeah...I majored in Anthropology myself. I'm not into 'cultural relativism' or 'historical revisionism'. Without 'gunboat diplomacy' Asian businessmen wouldn't currently be wearing Western dress to meetings...and considering it 'normal'.

BTW: everybody is a 'halfie'.;)

Re: Chinese "Name Stamp" ??? - 03/23/07 12:23 PM

Quote:

BTW: everybody is a 'halfie'.;)

Harlan, I'll have you know I'm fully human, thank you.
Posted by: oldman

Re: Chinese "Name Stamp" ??? - 03/23/07 12:33 PM

T,
Quote:

In my fatherland, I get treated like an asian i.e. "You're an immigrant".

In my motherland, I get treated like a westerner i.e. You're very direct and rude. So Western.

To a Swede, I look Thai, to a Thai I look like a Swede. Hard to fit in, aye?

But both societies find me really useful, as I'm like the connecting bridge sometimes and I understand both cultures.

-Taison out

I do not know if you are familiar with the phrase or the book titled,

"Third culture Kids"

Research has show that growing up between different worlds and cultures can have wonderful benefits. In addition it can also produce consistant problems and struggles that often time only other TCK's understand fully. In my note to you last week I asked about Sawan court. You told me it had benn torn down. When I told my wife about it she wept bitterly. I knew that would be the case. She had hoped to see it again one day. She said "You don't understand!!! No no one will ever understand". A place in Thailand where she grew up. A little american girl with white blond hair that the locals could not help but touch. How do you come back to america and and begin to talk about your experiences with other kids. Words can't convey it. To hear that she could not go back to that place again felt devastating. She had hoped to one day show us the things that her words failed to discribe.

There are many benefits that come from being a TCK and also many challeges. Thanks for representing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Culture_Kids

Re: Chinese "Name Stamp" ??? - 03/23/07 12:55 PM

Harlan,

Everyone a halfie? Nah...I don't think so, especially if no other culture enters into the consideration. One can be poor, one can be rich, one can be whatever, but you find normalcy within that sameness of cultural background...like knowing that the elevator music is a corrupted Simon and Garfunkel tune played slowler and electronically attempting the sound of an orchestra...not whaling away with cybals and chimes you have no recognition of. It is also in the similarity of food, the consideration of appropriate behavior, and so many things that have to be slightly adjusted for the 'betweeners.'

Some of us, born in other countries and then moved to these here United States. I was too young to really look at anything differently, but if you have never been called "Chink" and then punched in the face for it...no, I don't think you can call yourself a halfie. Sorry.

-B

Re: Chinese "Name Stamp" ??? - 03/23/07 01:01 PM

Biologically speaking...everyone is a 'halfie'

Don't mean to make light of the experiences of others in this area...obviously some people of mixed cultures will have a range of experiences. Some are more interested/vested in 'claiming' identification...I'm just into appreciation.

Thinking of name stamps, think I'll get one done up as a heiroglyphic cartouche. Little chance of the ancients objecting.

(For fun: http://hieroglyphs.net/0301/cgi/pager.pl?p=42 )

Re: Chinese "Name Stamp" ??? - 03/23/07 01:09 PM

I understand where you are coming from. I was talking in terms of racial backgrounds differentiated by cultural constructs.

And despite the same cultural identity, you still have disparity in racial and gender terms. Don't mean to put anything down on what you stated. I agree more than disagree with your point about the name stamp....but thought to bear witness to some incongruity in the cross-cultural acknowledgement where there are attempts to state understanding where some or none might really be there.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Chinese "Name Stamp" ??? - 03/23/07 02:14 PM

The notion of 'Hafu' or 'half' isn't just politically incorrect, it's the most elusive form of racisim: the kind where people don't even know they are being racist. The more homogeninous a society/demographic is, the more 'built-in' racism there will be...and the less people will think anything of it.

stamps that make family name signatures 'official' in Japan, must have Kanji characters. We had a difficult time registering our kids' birth with a 'foreign' name since there was no kanji, only katakana for my family name....after a long time arguing with the beaurocrats that didn't have the slightest clue as to how that might be perceived as 'exclusionary', we decided to register using my wife's familyname kanji.

reminded me of the Elis island stories of immigrants coming to the US and the registrar, assigning them their 'easier to pronounce' names.

but the 'name stamp' system in Japan isn't about pronounciation, it's about exclusion. since katakana is a phonetic set, it's actually easier and less ambiguous to use the kana set. ....but only Japanese will have the Kanji names. {wink wink}

We had no choice. it was better for the kids to start school with a Kanji name than a foreign one, because of that built-in exclusion.

family name stamps are a fundamentally outdated system. ...I mean, how many Tanaka's are out there that have the same ambiguous stamp?

Re: Chinese "Name Stamp" ??? - 03/24/07 01:15 AM

Oldman, I'm sorry that I had to bring the bad news.

I see that your wife had a lot of experience in Thailand, but like I've said, Thailand is rapidly changing so much. Right now I'm in my hometown of Pattaya, and it has changed so much in the last 4 years, I hardly remember it anymore. Can you imagine getting lost in your hometown?

Oldman, Sawan court was ripped down, but not all of it. Some part of it is still there, so if she ever wants to see it, parts of it is still there.

Brad, nice seeing another Swede offspring. Makes us 3. Matt, me and you. Swedes rulez. 'nuff said.

Harlan, it really depends where you grew up. In the US, it's a lot easier to grow up there because of the cultural mix. I mean, go to your local highschool, you'll have koreans, chinese, japanese, mexicans, puerto ricans, anglo-americans, afro-americans, croats, russians, etc etc.

Now, imagine a country like sweden where 99.99% of the school where in fact. . pure swedes, and me being the only black-haired asian there. Suffice to say, I did stand out like a sore thumb. Was I bullied? Not really, but it did feel hard to fit in. Then when I grew older I was moved to Thailand to learn my mother tongue better and hopefully find a place I can fit in. Well, on the outside I look like a Thai, but what I got from my fatherland was the culture, the way of thinking, manners, etc etc.

So you could say I'm like a banana. Yellow on the outside, white on the inside.

Many Thai find me rude because I'm very direct in my way of communication. Imagine being in a school where 99% of the students are Thai that value 'in-directness' and me being there saying anything that pops into my mind. For example, if a guy wears a hat and ask "do I look good?" the asian way to respond would be "yeah, but that other hat looks better". I'd just go "Nope. You look silly in it".

Sigh... I'm too tired to continue to type.

I'll add to this later when I'm in the mood.

-Taison out