MA-ists in da Nile?

Posted by: hedkikr

MA-ists in da Nile? - 03/16/07 09:28 PM

1st off, I'd like to establish that I'm not a tough-guy. That said, I think it's also fair to say that I'm relatively well-prepared, mentally & technically. It's no secret that I spent a lot of years within a tournament-oriented dojo but left 6 yrs ago. But this question (may be considered controvercial) just popped into my head.

The question is this:
Do sport/performance oriented MA-ists and/or their instructors secretly acknowledge that they would fail in a real-life SD incedent or are they in a state of denial?

If you are a sport/performance oriented MA-ist who somehow missed the SD flight, what keeps you where you are?

Thanks.
Posted by: Umbra_777

Re: MA-ists in da Nile? - 03/16/07 09:59 PM

I don't think they neccesarily have to. Being good in sport in performance does not mean one is not good in self defense. Furthermore, they compliment each other (someone who is in good enough shape to do XMA is probably going to be a much tougher fighter. Someone who knows martial arts well enough to fight can probably pull off some spectacular feats.)

-Umbra
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: MA-ists in da Nile? - 03/16/07 10:54 PM

Some people in sport MA are genuinely tough. I guarantee that if you go up against any competition Judoka in an NHB match, you'll have your hands full. If you're fighting them on concrete, you've probably got the disadvantage. Just because they've studied MA in a sporting fashion doesn't make them bad in self defense. Besides which, more than a few people don't really care about self defense and train MA for other reasons. Those sport MAists who do care about it will make sure they learn it alongside their sport. Just because you train sport doesn't mean that's the only thing you train. Most sports Dojos I've been to don't let their students compete until they have a reasonable foundation in the basic MA, which does have applications in self defense. Competitive sport also bolsters practical experience against resisting opponents, which improves physical self defensive ability. This is often an area lacking in people who train solely for self defense...

That said, those who train sports often do not train other applications and are in denial, otherwise they would incorporate other training methods into their routines. Furthermore, many SD focused Dojos are ALSO in denial because they refuse to see that they lack the practical experience against opponents who are fighting back which you can only get in competitive sparring.

P.S. Since when was XMA a sport? I'll say Olympic Judo, Boxing, TKD and Wrestling are sports but XMA can not be classed as a sport at all. XMA is a dance.
Posted by: Ayub

Re: MA-ists in da Nile? - 03/16/07 11:18 PM

I am sure that most serious performance orientated people are aware that they dont really know how to fight, but I think a lot who started off in the performance side are probably not aware that they are incapable of defending in real life situations.

In terms of sports martial arts, Im not sure they are at such a disadvantage in the street. I personally belive that the benefit of continually sparring and getting used to fighting is larger than the disadvantage of not training sport illegal strikes that are usually seen in self defence orientated martial arts. Sure some sports arts are too focused on one aspect of fighting, I think these people might be victims to thinking theyre invincible on the street too.
Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Re: MA-ists in da Nile? - 03/16/07 11:58 PM

This may sound crazy too, but I don't see much of a difference between sport and SD. In sport, you are trying not to get hit/thrown, while trying to hit/throw your opponent. I think these goals are automatically applied to SD. Also, I don't know any schools that solely teach sport, or only sport techniques that can't be applied in a SD situation.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: MA-ists in da Nile? - 03/17/07 09:30 AM

Quote:

Do sport/performance oriented MA-ists and/or their instructors secretly acknowledge that they would fail in a real-life SD incedent or are they in a state of denial?

Pretty bold statement to say that all sport arts would "fail" in self defense. I don't agree with that. If you are talking about arts that never train with resistance, and/or with severely limited rules, then I could agree.

I do feel that a lot of styles mis-represent what they do as far as self defense. The common terminology can be deceptive - sometimes intentionally, sometimes not. This has caused confusion not only with the general public, but between different groups of practitioners. I had a similar thread going here:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...=0#Post15926430

As far as denial.....yes, some are.
Posted by: Isshinryukid4life

Re: MA-ists in da Nile? - 03/17/07 10:13 AM

Quote:

This may sound crazy too, but I don't see much of a difference between sport and SD. In sport, you are trying not to get hit/thrown, while trying to hit/throw your opponent. I think these goals are automatically applied to SD.

#1 In kumite or tournament fighting as I think it's called,Your goal is to tag him & therfore scoring a point

I Don't see any SD here whatsoever.

#2 In tournaments there's 3 to 5 officials.

With one ref & two or four officials on the side of the ring,IMO this is a controoled invironment with two opponents wearing head,hand,& foot gear.

#3 If you're a tournament fighter, there are rules such as Where,& how hard you are to hit your opponent,& where you're to hit your opponent with either very little contact,or a tag.

In most SD situations you might as well forget about scoring,or have 3 to 5 officails help controll the fight,nor will you be wearing any kind of gear,& there's no light contact on one opponent.

Respectfully yours

edited to fix quote

Re: MA-ists in da Nile? - 03/17/07 10:28 AM

Quote:

I don't think they neccesarily have to. Being good in sport in performance does not mean one is not good in self defense. Furthermore, they compliment each other (someone who is in good enough shape to do XMA is probably going to be a much tougher fighter. Someone who knows martial arts well enough to fight can probably pull off some spectacular feats.)

Uuh,What did you just say? Someone in that pansy XMA can be a tougher fighter!?!?

Would you please explain how better an XMA's would be able to defend him/herself?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: MA-ists in da Nile? - 03/17/07 11:01 AM

Isshin -

I think the point being made is that the athletic skills required for these sports are transferable to the SD arena. I would agree with that. Athletic skill/conditioning is certainly a factor in it's own right.
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: MA-ists in da Nile? - 03/17/07 11:55 AM

Quote:

The question is this:

Thanks.

If they secretly acknowledge it, then how on earth would we know lol!!! Just kidding!

The thing is, until you use your skills to defend yourself, it is a moot point. Who can say? Individuals have the major responsibility in their own learning, understanding & application of anything they are taught.

In my old TKD class, there was a guy who attended the annual Iain Abernethy seminar in the area. His use of TKD in SD was far and away the best in the class. But he still had the same teacher as the rest of us... It was down to this own learning abilities that he was able to use his TKD to suit his own needs.

The same instructor of the TKD class also told me, when asked, that TKD, as he taught it, had limits as a means of SD. He said he always told people this, and despite that, people still came to class as they enjoyed it.

The modern Jiu Jitsu crowd in my area were the opposite. The instructor of the class couldn't go a whole sentence without using the term "street effective" or some such tosh. There was no resistance in the class, no pressure testing.

I asked him after class once if he ever hsd to use Jiu Jitsu in real life. He said he hadn't!! Yet this same man, week in, week out, was telling people what worked on the "street". Unbeliveable.

The two points I would make based on the above are:

i) People who do martial arts that train towards sporting accomplishment do so for a variety of reasons, including, but not always, SD. As long as they know what they are training in, power to them.

ii) ANY martial art can misrepresent itself as an effective means of SD. I have seen more of this in martial arts than have no resistance training/sporting aspect than those that do.

Re: MA-ists in da Nile? - 03/17/07 01:58 PM

Physical conditioning, timing, reaction time, coordination, accuracy, precision, balance, and more are trained while training for sport. These can all help in SD cases.

Also, isn't full contact sparring (in competition too, if i wanted to apply it to sport) similiar to SD?

Would you consider boxing effective for SD?
Posted by: oldcoach

Re: MA-ists in da Nile? - 03/17/07 03:49 PM

IMO, no one, regardless of orientation and/or style, can know for sure whether their "thing" will work or fail in a self-defense situation.

Just because a style has things that seem to make its practitioners go "Oh, this looks nasty" doesn't mean that those nasty bits will work in an SD situation, which is never a static phenomenon and never occurs in a vacuum.

To judge the effectiveness of a style based solely on the techniques it teaches is too narrow. Likewise, to judge a "sporting" style's effectiveness based on what one sees in competitions is also too narrow. "Man, they don't even keep their guard up", as if a guard is gonna automatically bring victory in SD.

Let's shift the focus a bit to what a lot of "masters" teach as SD stuff. In my younger, less discrete days, I've kicked a lot of "master" @sses in my own style who claim that the things they teach are too dangerous to demo in sparring.

If you nail them big tme (especially in front of their students), they'll go "I had to control my techniques. I didn't want to hurt you". Ooh, thank you "master"!

Sometimes, I got "masters" who had some competition experience or at least know the ways of competition techniques and tried to exploit the lack inherent in competition techniques. Well, guess what? I just switch to "dirty fighting" (their term) and they can't cope.

I even had one taiji practitioner (no disrespect to taiji practitioners. I'm referring only to this particular practitioner) who showed me how effective his technique was -- as long as I was playing according to his "rules". I switched to boxing-like punches and he ended up a sandbag.

The problem isn't with the specific orientation. The biggest problem lies with 1) not training at all, and 2) not training where the opponent fights back. And the biggest biggie of all -- making unfounded assumptions that the rules of one's discipline/style are the rules of SD.

Re: MA-ists in da Nile? - 03/18/07 12:31 AM

Quote:

Isshin -

I think the point being made is that the athletic skills required for these sports are transferable to the SD arena. I would agree with that. Athletic skill/conditioning is certainly a factor in it's own right.

I Agree 100% as far as being athletic & what not, & yes It's possible knowing how one can defend him/herself,& go to a tournnament every now & then. The problem is,is some,I repeat some karateka/tkdoist now day's believe that you are able to use their tournament fighting/kumite skills for SD.

That being said,but from my experince full contact is/can be very helpful.
Posted by: jamestkdkungfu

Re: MA-ists in da Nile? - 03/18/07 12:54 AM

No, We know dont worry... actually i have been to many "self defense" style dojos. In each one i found that they would help less then some of the sport oriented ones. with all seriousness though it is my belief that its the student the teacher not the art that determines if it is effective for self defense.

I know alot of people in boxing and wrestling. i have seen them have there share of fights now and then (im young ) and they usually fair well..i guess.. but they dont consider the fact that their training has made them able to defend themselves they think they just got lucky. of course its only after the hype of the fight has worn thin and they are done boasting...

I knew a guy who trained for over a year and i still would not put him against my little brother because he just isnt a fighter.

I also know people who havent trained a day in there life in anything at all and i wouldnt cross them ever unless of course i was in my car moving already and then speeding off.

your either a fighter or your not but training diffiently helps those of us that are fighters become even better.

But maybe im just talking out of my high testosterone filled young brain

Re: MA-ists in da Nile? - 03/18/07 01:00 AM

Quote:

Physical conditioning, timing, reaction time, coordination, accuracy, precision, balance, and more are trained while training for sport. These can all help in SD cases.

All of that & more doe's help SD, But as I've said before,SD is'nt the same as soring a point in compititon.

Quote:

Also, isn't full contact sparring (in competition too, if i wanted to apply it to sport) similiar to SD?

Yes,Full contact sparring's da bomb!
Posted by: jamestkdkungfu

Re: MA-ists in da Nile? - 03/18/07 01:13 AM

In muay thai, boxing, wrestling, wtf taekwondo,kickboxing, Bjj, mma, there are not limits in how hard you may hit/amount of pressure you may give an opponent.

And as for taekwondo not effective for self defense i think that all depends on the situation if i was gettin cornered by one guy who wanted to fight i think a good counter backkick to the groin and then running would be pretty effective...but anything can happen.

If there is such a school that teaches "self defense" that is actually very effective i would like to attend it because i have yet to see it.

Police (at least in my area) have been using hapkido and jj (recently bjj) for years to avoid using excessive force. these are very useful martial arts for self defense and the good schools (for those particular MA) in my area dont even mention "on da street" in class!!

best means of self defense; 1) train with an excellent teacher 2) run every morning 3) be a nice person!!

oh and i like to take a break from muay thai and do a taekwondo tornoment now and then. (gives my face a break )

Re: MA-ists in da Nile? - 03/18/07 06:50 AM

Jamestkd,It has nothing to do with styles,But sport oriented practitioners themselves,who are in are mistake that techniques used in tournaments,can be used in SD.So It really has nothing to do with the styles,But the false confidence of practitioners,even some of isshinryu are guilty of the samething.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: MA-ists in da Nile? - 03/18/07 10:00 AM

Quote:

The question is this:
Do sport/performance oriented MA-ists and/or their instructors secretly acknowledge that they would fail in a real-life SD incident or are they in a state of denial?

If you are a sport/performance oriented MA-ist who somehow missed the SD flight, what keeps you where you are?

hedkikr, thanks for a great topic.

It's ironic that you mention "performance oriented" martial artists failing in real life situations or, being in denial. Isn't the ability to "perform" what we're really after?

I think part of the problem is the word "sport" itself. The word is supremely generic and vague, and it seems to automatically cast a negative connotation without a lot of actual thought.

Point sparring could be considered "sport" by some. So could MMA. Those two are about as far apart as you can get yet they are both considered "sport". Opinions vary as to which is a more functional approach. That just goes to show you how broad the definitions are.

Regardless of what the word "sport" means to people, the tendency is lump ALL such activities into the negative category when it comes to real life self-defense. This is simply because people don't take the time to fully think about what they're saying and to delineate the functionality of those various activities. That only demonstrates an intellectual laziness on their part.

Somehow it seems that many martial artists frown on those who train to perform when in fact, we ALL ultimately train to perform. And again, this just comes down to the different definitions that we all have as to what performance really means.

MY definition of performance means that I can perform against someone completely resisting my efforts to either knock them out or break their bones. That doesn't mean that I always can or will, but that's what I train for. That's my idea of performance.

Is that a different definition that yours?

-John
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: MA-ists in da Nile? - 03/18/07 01:24 PM

excellent points made John. I think 'performance' in the thread's opening context meant training for astetic/visual quality for entertainment or higher judge score. It's a difference of intent.

still, an XMAist, stuntman or gymnist for example could presumably translate that training to self-defense from sheer athletic ability - certainly they'd be better in theory, of defending themselves than their general population of spectators. but would they be correct in thinking they are specifically training FOR self-defense? I know I wouldn't want to get kicked by a soccer guy, or be thrown by a football player...but if I were training kicks and throws - could I say I'm training in Soccer or football?

In the strictest sense, there are occupations and environments that call for the real and active everyday threat of defense against personal assault. policeman, states of civil unrest/lawlessness, ground-force military, bodyguards etc Even then, the first line of personal defense is with firearms. Even personal offensive occupations like criminals often opt for gaining the tactical edge with firearms. Only occupations like night-club bouncers and 'streetwalkers' have the much higher % chance of non-firearm physical assault than a random victim....but even then, the objective isn't to kill - it's to subdue the attacker and remove yourself from the threat. Thats done by causing knockout, choke or injury. The closest actual simulation is 'sport' MA which have any/all of those as allowable outcome. boxing allows knockout or injury to 'win', BJJ has choke or injury to 'win'...MMA and some full contact MA's for example have all three as acceptable within it's 'game'.

If you train eye rakes and groin grabs for instance, obviously it has to be taken on faith that they work with reasonable certainty. some things that seem intuitively plausible, may in fact turn to mush when someone is *really* attacking you. but who really knows. Sure, we can hear isolated incidents where things work, but any isolated incident only proves it can work. the question is, can it work with reasonable certainty against someone who really tries to prevent it and without acting. I believe yes it can be trained for.

*** now my flip-side argument ***

Think of what someone could do if they trained for nothing else than building skill for attacking the eyes for 40 years- conditioning, speed, accuracy - all the skills necessary for building skills for various attacks specifically against someone's eyes. even though they might not have ever actually done so...is it unreasonable to assume that they couldn't take care of themselves? certainly it's a stratigically sound target. would YOU really want to attack someone trained in such? lol

if it 'can' work...it 'can' be trained for is my own counterpoint. so even though you train in something that is good simulation of reasonable certainty and testable within the context of competing against someone resisting it, I wouldn't be hasty to rule out what 'can' be trained for and what cant. I also wouldn't be hasty to assume just because something 'can' work, that it will.

I sometimes argue with myself....then I choose who I want to be right. clearly, I am delusional, but we've all got to find our 'happy place'.

Re: MA-ists in da Nile? - 03/18/07 01:38 PM

Isshin, there are a few misconceptions you hold which need to be cleared up for you to understand where other people are coming from in this discussion.

Quote:

Uuh,What did you just say? Someone in that pansy XMA can be a tougher fighter!?!?

Would you please explain how better an XMA's would be able to defend him/herself?

1. XMA is NOT a sport. I have said this before and I say it again. A sport is a competitive physical activity and in the case of sporting MA, it is a competition between two people fighting one another under a set of rules.

Quote:

I Agree 100% as far as being athletic & what not, & yes It's possible knowing how one can defend him/herself,& go to a tournnament every now & then. The problem is,is some,I repeat some karateka/tkdoist now day's believe that you are able to use their tournament fighting/kumite skills for SD.

Quote:

Jamestkd,It has nothing to do with styles,But sport oriented practitioners themselves,who are in are mistake that techniques used in tournaments,can be used in SD.

2. Because of your lack of experience in and fighting with sport MAists, you do not know the constitution of sport MA syllabi. If you trained in a sport MA, you would come to understand that they are not so different from your SD/traditional MA syllabi. The techniques which we use are no different from the techniques you use because sport MA techniques are, obviously, derived from traditional MA techniques. The difference between the two is simply how they are applied.

In other words, if our sport MA techniques do not work in a real fight, then neither will your SD/traditional techniques.

I can say this because I have trained in both sport and SD/traditional MA schools.

Quote:

All of that & more doe's help SD, But as I've said before,SD is'nt the same as soring a point in compititon.

Quote:

#1 In kumite or tournament fighting as I think it's called,Your goal is to tag him & therfore scoring a point

3. Proportionally few MAists train in point sparring competitions. Far more MAists who compete do so in full contact MA. Hence, while the aim of a match is to score a point on your opponent, the best way to do this is to knock him/her out. (I say this from experience) I justify this because TKD, the world's most popular MA, competes in this way in the Olympics.

Quote:

#2 In tournaments there's 3 to 5 officials.

With one ref & two or four officials on the side of the ring,IMO this is a controoled invironment with two opponents wearing head,hand,& foot gear.

I wish you'd told the ref that when I got TKOed and the other guy kept hitting me in the head until I was floored. Maybe you should try a bit of "sport" before you judge it.

In many competitions, referees do not intervene until the opponent is unconscious or concussed and unable to continue fighting. This is why they have the count when someone hits the floor. Whether my opponent had hit a little too hard was the last thing on my mind when I heard the ref counting from 10 down to 1, I just wanted to lie down so the room would stop spinning.

Quote:

#3 If you're a tournament fighter, there are rules such as Where,& how hard you are to hit your opponent,& where you're to hit your opponent with either very little contact,or a tag.

In reality, there are very few MA which limit the strength of techniques. The reason you hold this misconception is because you train in an SD environment where if you didn't hold back, you'd seriously injure your training partner every lesson and you'd eventually run out of training partners. In Olympic TKD, as in boxing, the competitors wear padding as you have mentioned. This means that there is no limit on the power which can be put into techniques, unlike you will find in your Dojo. If you can get KOed in a competition, I think that's enough power to say the hit was real.

Admittedly there are limitations on where you can hit your opponent as a result. In an SD Dojo, you have unlimited striking targets because you don't hit very hard and you're not in the thick of a fight with the adrenaline pumping. (It's very difficult to control how hard you hit when you've got someone trying to KO you) If we did not limit the striking areas, all sport MA would turn into little more than blood sports and would not be permitted to continue.

Quote:

In most SD situations you might as well forget about scoring,or have 3 to 5 officails help controll the fight,nor will you be wearing any kind of gear,& there's no light contact on one opponent.

I challenge you to find a single sport MAist who will be thinking about scoring points when accosted by a group of armed thugs.

A few examples of sport MA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kmafl3LDpU8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSsEniLha5M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N57od3JigUg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68EOWuVRtfg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD99VbFzqAg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jWORAdn3TQ

And of course:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlYCMJNFjoE

Re: MA-ists in da Nile? - 03/18/07 05:22 PM

Quote:

2. Because of your lack of experience in and fighting with sport MAists, you do not know the constitution of sport MA syllabi. If you trained in a sport MA, you would come to understand that they are not so different from your SD/traditional MA syllabi. The techniques which we use are no different from the techniques you use because sport MA techniques are, obviously, derived from traditional MA techniques. The difference between the two is simply how they are applied.

Leo,I Have plenty experiance in judging & participating in tournaments,as I don't see nothing wrong participating,but so many tournaments with in year & not enough SD practice.Certainly there has to be a happy medium,while not forgetting that all the trophy's the world do not mean a thing if my family,Or myself is in danger.

All of that being said,You make a verygood point,These techniques that you might see in kumite obviously come from the SD part of karate,But then again,the techniques of pro wrestling.

Also, bodydynamics,or how/when to move your body,aswell as punch,kick etc,are involved in SD;kumite does not have the right bodydynamics,if any at all that would help in a SD situation.

Don't get me wrong,kumite,kata,& weapons kata are alot of fun,just do'nt neglect SD traing.

Peace

Re: MA-ists in da Nile? - 03/18/07 05:26 PM

Leo,Please do'nt take anything I've said personal.

peace!

Re: MA-ists in da Nile? - 03/18/07 05:46 PM

Isshinryukid4life --

The body mechanics of a knock out in SPORT are exactly the same as one would use for a knock out in self-defense. A straight right in MMA is the same straight right I would throw to someone on the 'street'. The knee to the face in MMA is the same knee to the face I would throw to an attacker in a self-defense situation. A punch is a punch. An armbar is an armbar, etc. etc.

Sport - self-defense means NOTHING. The ONLY thing that really changes from one to the other is STRATEGY. In other words, on the street my primary strategy would be to run away. In sport, I would engage my opponent. Technically speaking nothing much changes at ALL, particularly with regard to body mechanics.

-John
Posted by: AkhilleusWeeps

Re: MA-ists in da Nile? - 03/18/07 08:48 PM

Quote:

Sport - self-defense means NOTHING. The ONLY thing that really changes from one to the other is STRATEGY. In other words, on the street my primary strategy would be to run away. In sport, I would engage my opponent. Technically speaking nothing much changes at ALL, particularly with regard to body mechanics.

Usually I'm happy to lurk, but that's about the best dang answer here. IMO, learning SD/RBSD will only hinder your ability to keep your self safe...while I wish I had the calm and coolness to dispatch a would be attacker with some SD/hollywood move i learned in the dojo I think a better defense/offense would be to quickly jab/low roundhouse/strike/etc and RUN. Which you could train against a fully resistant opponent in a FC sparring/tournament situation.

Here's something that will open a can of worms...If SD would really save you from a would be attack wouldn't the UFC be dominated by such practitioners?

Re: MA-ists in da Nile? - 03/18/07 09:21 PM

Quote:

Here's something that will open a can of worms...If SD would really save you from a would be attack wouldn't the UFC be dominated by such practitioners?

My answer to this is; it already IS dominated by such practitioners.

-John
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: MA-ists in da Nile? - 03/18/07 09:45 PM

can-o-worms indeed! "Guardians of the King and Castle...ASSEMBLE!"

Re: MA-ists in da Nile? - 03/18/07 10:58 PM

I agree. I see no difference between UFC style fighting and SD.

Re: MA-ists in da Nile? - 03/19/07 01:08 AM

No difference between UFC fighting and SD?

Perhaps my view of SD is different than yours.

To me SD always seems to be some sort of exercise where Person A stomps/punches/bites/pokes/etc on Person B's foot/stomach/eyes/etc to get them to "focus" on the affected area then some sort of small joint manipulation is applied to person B so that he is brought to the ground and some sort of finishing move is used to end things.

Usually little to no resistance is used and if such application were used in the real world you would be making a cofin maker some quick cash.

As far as UFC goes, I have yet to see Chuck/GSP/Mirko/Matt/Griffin training in any such manner. I will admit alot, if not most, have karate backgrounds....perhaps this is why they are successful? SD training in karate rather than MMA?

Re: MA-ists in da Nile? - 03/19/07 01:18 AM

Oops, well then I see no difference between UFC and practical SD with resistance.

Re: MA-ists in da Nile? - 03/19/07 01:20 AM

OK, so you believe small joint manipulation and hitting someone to have them "focus" from such a blow will work on an adrenaline pumped would be attacker?

Re: MA-ists in da Nile? - 03/19/07 02:19 AM

The reason I launched this thread is due to what happened about a month ago. I thought about it for a while before I offered it up. The title could have read, "Bring it Mr. Loudmouth".

I attended the Disney MA Festival last month as a spectator. There was practically every MA tournament represented from Arnis to Wu Shu over the w/e. The USA-NKF (folks I was formerly associated w/ & still friends w/) represented Traditional Karate. I wandered over to the so-called "Open" competition. It so happened that a NKF BB was competing according to the techniques he was familiar w/ while the opponent used all the usual tippy-tappy techniques he was accustomed to.

The oppenent won - as he should have - according to the rules but the NKF guy wasn't upset. He knew he did well considering he wasn't familiar w/ the rules. I unconsciously said something like, "What a joke".

Some high school kid next to me overheard & said "he could kick your ass, old man".

I said, "w/ that?".

And he said, "Yeah, & his spinning back-kick on your head."

"OK" was my final word as I walked away.

I couldn't understand how leaping a "karate-chop" to the top of the head, or an over-reached flicking back-fist or a pushing front-kick would have hurt me despite being good scoring points (and garnering lots of "oooh's" from the audience).

And that's what I meant by sport/performance because an XMA style competition was going on @ the other end of the convention center (don't get me started about the BB Elvis impersonator doing a kata to "Jailhouse Rock w/ plywood swords).

Yes, some competitive MA-ists would fare well & some "reality-based" MA-ists wouldn't but my thoughts were focused on those who are taught A, B & C will work when, in reality, they might get you killed. That's some major denial.

Thanks.

Re: MA-ists in da Nile? - 03/19/07 02:54 AM

I guess you were fueming over the [censored] foot slap action that won that match.

Forgive me, I forget how much crap is out there. I automatically assumed that when you meant tournament/sport atheletes you meant those actually using force and not looking to score a point. i.e. boxing/mt/bjj/judo/FC karate.(I know points are invovled here too, but not to the affect of a point match)
Posted by: oldcoach

Re: MA-ists in da Nile? - 03/19/07 04:55 AM

Quote:

the BB Elvis impersonator doing a kata to "Jailhouse Rock w/ plywood swords

This is interesting. Elaborate, please

Hmmm, no MJ impersonators doing "Moonwalk Sanchin" to "Bad"?

Re: MA-ists in da Nile? - 03/19/07 08:49 AM

Quote:

Leo,Please do'nt take anything I've said personal.

peace!

No worries mate. It's all for the benefit of the people who read this thread that I post in the first place. I don't mind being proved wrong, all I want to prevent is misinformation.

Although next time, you should mention when you've seen the other side of the coin (i.e. when you've trained in sport for a period of time too).

Re: MA-ists in da Nile? - 03/19/07 12:15 PM

yeah...as I walked in, I heard the music so I had to investigate. A guy in a black gi, BB w/ 3 red stripes, Elvis wig & sunglasses was shaking his hip & leg while holding 2 plywood "swords" (the blades weren't even painted silver). He was awful - no timing or balance, kicks were sloppy, no weapon(?) control - looked like the "Star Wars Kid" or like he was making it up along the way. I don't know how the panel of 3 judging this act managed to keep a strait face.