Striking weapons

Posted by: ExCon

Striking weapons - 03/06/07 06:23 PM

When training,

what do you practice striking with?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Striking weapons - 03/06/07 06:37 PM

I chose them all, but I have to admit that I don't train knees very often.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Striking weapons - 03/06/07 07:16 PM

I admit that I don't train shoulder charges often...
Posted by: Gaijinja

Re: Striking weapons - 03/07/07 12:19 AM

I don't train shoulders, but I train the rest of those plus finger tips and wrist.
Posted by: swseibukan

Re: Striking weapons - 03/07/07 09:46 AM

I checked them all. Two through seven we train nightly on pads and bags, head butt and shoulder used the least but used a bit just the same. I’d add striking with the biceps as in a clothesline type strike, and finger tips as well.
Posted by: Raul Perez

Re: Striking weapons - 03/07/07 10:11 AM

I dont train much open hands against the bag if at all. We do some open hand strikes in self defense.

I never do head butts or shoulder strikes in training.
Posted by: Taison

Re: Striking weapons - 03/07/07 10:41 AM

Train everything. Trying to make myself a "human" weapon.

But I have to admit, that I don't practice shoulders much.

Headbutt are something I always think of an option. So I don't ignore it, nor do I ignore the option of biting.

I practice all on a sandbag, and sometimes a wooden billboard. Sorta like my own makiwara, but I don't like hitting the board that much. It doesn't absord like the sandbag.

-Taison out
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: Striking weapons - 03/07/07 10:58 AM

Elbows and knees I practice constantly, open hands the same including knife hands, fists and hammers I practice as much, and headbutts/shoulders I leave as a mental possibilitie so if I need it I'm aware but I never train it. 'bangs head against brick'
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Striking weapons - 03/07/07 11:24 AM

I train most of those. However, I don't train open hand, shoulders or head butts.

I've never seen the point in training open hand, since I know that I prefer to use my fists, and if I was in a fight, I would simply go back to what I felt safest with anyway. Also, open hand techniques don't have a different range to the fists, so why bother having two different hand tools for the same range.

As for the shoulders, do you mean using the shoulders for takedowns, because I have done a bit of that. I'm no expert in grappling though, so I probably neglect that side of my training a bit.

The head- ouch. I prefer to use my noggin for the smart stuff

Re: Striking weapons - 03/07/07 11:31 AM

Quote:

The head- ouch. I prefer to use my noggin for the smart stuff

Like headbuttin' the wall.

-Taison out
Posted by: everyone

Re: Striking weapons - 03/07/07 03:58 PM

I am not sure if this counts as a strike or not but I use the back of my shoulder to manipulate my opponents upperbody, setting them up for a more devestating strike. I use my hips in the same way to disrupt their stance and set up the next strike or throw.
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: Striking weapons - 03/09/07 01:21 PM

I actually use my palms instinctual at infighting/stand up grappling range as I did in my last fight, the guy grabbed me up real close and I reacted with a palm to the fact and as a preemptive strike I often use my palms if I go for body shots as it seems to be more stable, however fists give nice effect to.
Posted by: Tashigae

Re: Striking weapons - 03/12/07 05:00 AM

Used them all but the shoulder in capoeira.
Used them all but the shoulder and the headbutt in jujutsu.
Same goes for gongfu, Uechi Ryu karate, and Shorinji kempo.
(however, those last two were mere trials: I didn't study them long
enough to know if those arts use the headbutt / shoulder charge or not).
Use none in Iaido.

Re: Striking weapons - 03/12/07 07:23 AM

Quote:

Used them all but the shoulder in capoeira.
Used them all but the shoulder and the headbutt in jujutsu.
Same goes for gongfu, Uechi Ryu karate, and Shorinji kempo.
(however, those last two were mere trials: I didn't study them long
enough to know if those arts use the headbutt / shoulder charge or not).
Use none in Iaido.

Lies!

Your signature says it all "Wen Wu Shuang Quan". Just be honest and tell people you can beat people up with your hands and feets tied up, and relying on nothing but your head and shoulders. . And no, I'm not talking about the shampoo.

-Taison out
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Striking weapons - 03/12/07 07:34 AM

almost all open hand & forearm. 'kick' with knee as much as using the knee as a striking surface. use shoulder checks with takedowns.

punching, kicking? sure, but the other stuff is so much more fun!
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Striking weapons - 03/12/07 07:36 AM

I don't do a lot of kicking but I train with most of them. Obviously things like knees and shoulder butting have to be simulated and depending on what you have for protection, elbows do as well. Otherwise it ALL can be worked into play.

-John
Posted by: jc4199

Re: Striking weapons - 03/15/07 01:36 AM

We train in them all we call them the five tools head, hands, elbows, knees, and feet. A good head butt is a devastating move.
Posted by: Tashigae

Re: Striking weapons - 03/15/07 04:54 AM

Quote:

Lies!

Your signature says it all "Wen Wu Shuang Quan". Just be honest and tell people you can beat people up with your hands and feets tied up, and relying on nothing but your head and shoulders. . And no, I'm not talking about the shampoo.

Damn, I’m caught!
You’re right Taison: my headbutts and shoulder-strikes outrange most taekwondo flying kicks, outpower most muay thai knees, outspeed most wingchun punches, and outqi most taiji palm-strikes. However, when I use them with my hands and feet tied together (which is just a little trickier, but you soon get the hang of it and the surprise effect on the opponent is well worth), I usually prefer to be blindfolded as well, to help me focus and empty my mind.

Seriously, I no longer train those strikes, but I think my nut’s condition isn’t so bad nonetheless since I can, from a standing position, bend my body backwards until I hit the ground with my head and remain in this position, touching the ground with nothing but the tip of my feet and the top of my skull . In case any of you guys want to try this neat little stunt (which is of absolutely no use from a martial point of view), I suggest you don’t until you can do the same but land on your hands instead (very common gymnastics move). And even then, when you attempt the no-handed version, be prepared to put your hands in emergency in case you realize upon impact that your neck won’t take the weight : I came stupidly close to breaking mine on my first try. It suddenly bent backwards with a terrifyingly loud creaking noise which discouraged me from attempting it again for several weeks : for a second, I really thought I had killed/permanently paralized myself .
My instructor told me that in his younger days , he could get back up from this position without using his hands, just reversing the initial move. Now that must look cool...

And by the way, "wen wu shuang quan" doesn’t refer to my deadly qi-nut but to my ability to talk my enemies to death with endless idle speeches .

Re: Striking weapons - 03/15/07 06:39 AM

If you can bend like that, you can suplex without problem.

-Taison out
Posted by: JimmySmith

Re: Striking weapons - 03/16/07 06:43 AM

Quote:

I am not sure if this counts as a strike or not but I use the back of my shoulder to manipulate my opponents upperbody, setting them up for a more devestating strike. I use my hips in the same way to disrupt their stance and set up the next strike or throw.

Same, I use my knees and hips a lot to control my oponents stance. Some different strikes that i use that I haven't seen mentioned are the back of my wrist, and knife edge of my pointer finger (both as 'flicks')
Posted by: jasperdaman

Re: Striking weapons - 03/16/07 07:30 AM

Quote:

Also, open hand techniques don't have a different range to the fists, so why bother having two different hand tools for the same range.

I'd like to have as many tools for defending myself as possible. what happens if u bust up ur knuckles bad or u dont want ur knuckles to bleed all over the drugo with AIDS ur pummelling? o well we all have different opinions

Re: Striking weapons - 03/16/07 07:37 AM

If your knuckles 'bust open', that means you've got bad mechanics.

Another thing, AIDS isn't transfered from 'bleeding all over him'. I'd be more concerned about AIDS if he was 'bleeding all over me'.

Also there's a very small chance that you'll get AIDS from busting your knuckles open and then bleeding. There's still a chance, but not so high to insure 99% risk of being infected.

Open hand techniques. Are good, but I don't like them. Not really my 'choice of meat'.

-Taison out
Posted by: JimmySmith

Re: Striking weapons - 03/19/07 01:46 AM

"If your knuckles 'bust open', that means you've got bad mechanics." Not to harp but not really, if you don't hit the person at exactly the tangent or if they fall strangely you will get sideways movement on the knuckle which can cause knuckles to 'bust open' not necessarily bad mechanics. Who cares anyways, open hand, closed fist... you can condition both
Posted by: Gaijinja

Re: Striking weapons - 03/19/07 07:29 PM

Quote:

I train most of those. However, I don't train open hand, shoulders or head butts.

I've never seen the point in training open hand, since I know that I prefer to use my fists, and if I was in a fight, I would simply go back to what I felt safest with anyway. Also, open hand techniques don't have a different range to the fists, so why bother having two different hand tools for the same range.

I'd have to disagree, I find that finger tip strikes have a greater range, where as palm heel strikes and wrist strikes can generate a lot of power at a closer range than a punch. But that might just be my partiality to open hand techniques talking. I started breaking stuff at a young age and my sensei discouraged using punches as the impact can damage growing carpals and metacarpals in the hand, so I got around that by using open handed techniques instead.