some simple training clips...

Posted by: ashe_higgs

some simple training clips... - 02/13/07 04:06 PM

some spinning hands practice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXVwC_bvNa8

some mirroring

http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p311/...t=mirroring.flv

there's a lot i'm doing wrong in the mirroring, but it get's better toward the end and you and see a little mor of the spiral force come out.

watch the clips all the way through, because the best movement comes out towards the end of both clips.
Posted by: Spade

Re: some simple training clips... - 02/13/07 05:20 PM

Whats the point of these?
Posted by: Salek

Re: some simple training clips... - 02/13/07 06:12 PM

These are some clips of a fellow member training. I didnt think it was that hard to figure out. Maybe a little respect is order "Spade"? It takes guts to post a video.

I thought the first clip was a lot better than the second, I didnt quite get the point of the second. Thanks for the video. What was the training in the second vid?

Re: some simple training clips... - 02/14/07 12:40 AM

the first drill is called spinning hands and is the most fundamental training of i liq chuan. no matter how far you go, you always train the spinning hand. it's similar to rou shou from baguazhang. it's main emphasis is on developing an understanding of the changing point of contact, and unifying yourself (structure) so it's great for building power. my partner and i are fairly smooth and round, so it might not look like it but we're using a ton of force and sweating like pigs.

the second clip is call mirroring and is another exercise from i liq chuan. it's a step toward san da (free fighting). this drill you want to take everything you've learned in spinning and sticky hands and apply it spontaneous incoming attacks.

i probably should have just put these in the cma sub-forum, but it's sooooo slow.

and, to me, at this point i can just throw up clips, no big deal. i've got quite a few clips up by now. some people will be able to appreciate what's going on, some not. i'm always happy to share the art with people who appreciate it.
Posted by: Spade

Re: some simple training clips... - 02/14/07 03:22 AM

I was curious as to the purpose of the drill (the second video didn't work for me).

I've done a little bit of the pushing hands drill with a guy I knew, never understood what it was for until now though, thanks.
Posted by: Gavin

Re: some simple training clips... - 02/14/07 06:00 AM

Hi Ashe,

Nice clips. I've to say though your clips with Master Chin are the ones that really interest me. That guy is powerful! Very jealous at you being on the receiving end. I've watched some of his other clips on youtube and he is one of the few people (apart from my own Tai Chi Instructor) who I've seen who truly looks connected. His power is absolutely awesome.

Just to add to the comments on the purpose of this and other pushing hands drills is to build sensitivity and a mobile pliable structure capable of recieving and replusing force. In this clip Ashe and his partner look like they are pushing into each other, but due to the internal alingment that these sort of drills should produce they are more accurately pushing directly into the floor. Done properly everything you put into the push should bounce from the ground back into you via your partners body structure. This is what makes it an absolute killer to do. It's kinda of like using those weights machines that adjust according to how hard you use it. The harder you go the harder it resists. This what is meant in Tai Chi and IMA circles when you hear analogies like compressing a coil or loading the spring. The force will take the easiest route out and in this case that'll be via the person with the weakest structure.

The practical use of this comes any time anyone tries to exert any type of force on you. You simply meet it with your structure and the force is fed straight back into your opponent. Then add a litle power generation and things start getting really fun!

Great stuff Ashe...keep up the good work!

Re: some simple training clips... - 02/14/07 12:50 PM

Quote:

I was curious as to the purpose of the drill (the second video didn't work for me).

I've done a little bit of the pushing hands drill with a guy I knew, never understood what it was for until now though, thanks.

try this one;

mirroring

it's not only pushing, it's pulling too, and learning to turn push and pull into one movement.

i like posting training clips because people can relate better to them.

everyone looks like rambo in a demo clip...
Posted by: MattJ

Re: some simple training clips... - 02/16/07 03:52 PM

Hey Ashe, I just saw these. Thanks for putting these up. The spinning hands drill reminded me of some of the chi sao I have done.

But I really liked the mirroring drill. Good stuff, and similar to some of the drills I had been working on recently for my stand up training.

Re: some simple training clips... - 02/17/07 12:40 AM

cool, i look forward to seeing some more of your clips!