Yoseikan Budo

Posted by: Anonymous

Yoseikan Budo - 08/17/04 09:52 AM

Hello from Texas!

I am new here and have already noticed a few Yoseikan Budoka on here. I was wondering about how many of us are on here.

It's refreshing to get on a site and not be one of the only ones that has even heard of Yoseikan!

Re: Yoseikan Budo - 08/17/04 11:34 AM

What's Yoseikan? [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/smile.gif[/IMG]
Posted by: Khayman

Re: Yoseikan Budo - 08/17/04 12:09 PM

Hi Robert.
I currently train in Yoseikan karate in the UK. Welcome to the board.

Expat Jack - a very brief summary - Yoseikan Budo is an art founded by Master Minoru Mochizuki. Mochizuki blended techniques of the major japanese martial arts into one art. The style started life in france and was brought to the west by Hiroo Mochizuki (Minoru's son).
Hiroo settled in Paris in the early 1960's and from there the art spread accross the world. The styles utilises hip movement and energy transferance through wave movement (undulation).

Re: Yoseikan Budo - 08/17/04 12:31 PM

Khayman- I googled Yoseikan. The references seemed to be about aikido. If it's aikido, how does it differ from the Aikikai organization in its training /philosophy? Are there two Yoseikan arts, aikido and karate or is it a combination of the two?

Re: Yoseikan Budo - 08/17/04 12:58 PM

If you try google with Yoseikan Budo you can get to the main Yoseikan World Federation page. The full Yoseikan Budo style encompases the aikido and the karate, kubudo etc.
We trained in the full style and had the karate as the base style from which to branch out. We train at a university and over time aikido and jujitsu clubs have moved in and we have had to adjust to concentrating mainly on the karate due to the market place (cant be seen to offer the same).

Re: Yoseikan Budo - 08/17/04 01:21 PM

The Yoseikan Aikido is slightly different to the modern styles of Aikido such as Aikiki.
Aikiki was founded by post war students of Morehei Ueshiba. Yoseikan Aikido is more comparable to the pre war Aiki Budo style taught by Morehei Ueshiba which was more combat orientated.
Posted by: mark

Re: Yoseikan Budo - 08/17/04 01:28 PM

Hi Robert,

Been training in Yoseikan Karate for 25yrs.

Not very big in the UK anymore.

What Khayman says is exactly right.

mark

Re: Yoseikan Budo - 08/17/04 02:26 PM

Here in the U.S. we have focused more on the aiki side of Yoseikan Budo in the past. Around 1997 or 1998 we began to slowly incorporate more of the karate type elements and within the last year or two have strongly moved in the direction that YWF teaches in Europe. A huge aid to us was having Mitchi Mochizuki come over two years in a row and staying a week.

If you have been to the world stage and have met Glenn Pack or Phil Farmer then you have met my teachers. Phil is my direct teacher and we both teach in the same dojo of our town (we general split the class into kids and adults then beginer and advanced once the kids leave).

I've taken karate, judo, TKD, and a few other independent type martial arts, but, have to say I've enjoyed Yoseikan the most. To me it is a complete martial art that covers most if not all of what people tend to look for in a martial art. I'm not saying it's the best martial art there is - that type of statement and it's responses have been said and talked to death! I'm just saying you can spend a lifetime learning Yoseikan and cover atemi, throws, chokes, kata, groundfighting, etc. I think that Minoru and Hiroo Mochizuki are great in what they have developed.
Posted by: MrVigerous

Re: Yoseikan Budo - 08/17/04 04:23 PM

I am another one. There are a few more knocking about on the forum.

Regds
Mr V
Posted by: still wadowoman

Re: Yoseikan Budo - 08/18/04 04:17 AM

I am married to another one
Sharon