Action!

Posted by: Salek

Action! - 01/27/07 11:40 AM

So lately I just havent been satified with my training. I train two times a day and run in my spare time. (Going for Nidan in a few months) Over the past couple of years of training at the school I have developed a friendship with all the janitors and they let me in there whenever I want if they are there.

So last night I was training at about 9:30 to 10:30 in the wrestling room completely alone in the school.

Now I decided to bring my camera and film my kata.

It has been one of the best things I have ever done for my training, I know exactly what I need to work on now, Its great!

Have any of you had similar situations, or any bad experiences with filming your training?

Lets hear it!
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Action! - 01/27/07 12:24 PM

I am a huge fan of video as a reference for personal training. I have used it extensively in the past for sparring training, and it was invaluable.
Posted by: clmibb

Re: Action! - 01/27/07 12:26 PM

I have a couple of classes on tape and a couple of tournaments on tape as well. I haven't a clue as to their location at this point. I like to watch them (when I find them) to see how much we have changed and grown not only in the MA sense but also physically. I tested for my 1st degree many years ago and only 2 of us have stayed until 3rd degree. We (the other asstisant instructor and I) have been the first of his students to get to 3rd degree. The other guy will be testing for 4th this summer (I have to wait another year because of time that was taken off to recoup from having kids). I like to see how much we have developed over the years. I have video of one of our BB as a white belt learning how to do a crescent kick; now she can do it quite well and uses it during sparring. I love old videos. I need to dig up my old videos and see about posting some.

Casey
Posted by: tkd_high_green

Re: Action! - 01/28/07 01:20 PM

Recording your performance is an excellent way to see just what your instructor is talking about. If you really want feedback, post your video's on here for everyone to critique.

Laura

Re: Action! - 01/28/07 05:42 PM

i always thought that posting videos on here was taboo... not sure i just never heard it talked about much.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Action! - 01/28/07 05:49 PM

Posting video is not taboo, and never has been as far as I know. Myself and several other members have posted videos here. A great way to clarify what people do, and really gives credibility to what they write here, IMO.
Posted by: Saisho

Re: Action! - 01/28/07 07:08 PM

Quote:

i always thought that posting videos on here was taboo...

What kind of videos are you wanting to post?

Re: Action! - 01/28/07 09:37 PM

Martial Arts videos *cough* *cough*

Thats odd, I always got the idea that people didnt like it when you posted videos.

Well it looks like I will get to make myself a "legit" black belt now.

I should be able to have a video up of either Kanku Sho or Nijushiho up in a few days.

Anyway, I was reviewing the clips of my training session before I started practicing today and it was great, I was focused on what I needed to be focused on and I feel like I got a lot accomplished.

*If you havent filmed yourself training... Try it!*
Posted by: baby_bwoy

Re: Action! - 01/30/07 04:21 PM

id like to think i was the one of the first to put a video up..mwahah...but jokes aside, puttig it up here will really help, some members might notice things you or your instrictors havent and can giv more insight into improvemnts.

Aaron