POLL - What do you focus on?

Posted by: MattJ

POLL - What do you focus on? - 01/22/07 01:35 PM

The Giving up kicks thread got me wondering what everyone here considers the point of focus to be in their training. Or should there be a focus at all? Your views please.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: POLL - What do you focus on? - 01/22/07 03:10 PM

Very deceaving thread. It says "What is your training focus" and so I have to say ground fighting, clinch and throws/takedowns as they are all related in grappling. Because we are not a strickly grappling school the majority of our focus is training strikes to the upper and lower bod with hands and feet (TKD), however for myself, I was doing more ground type fighting then stand up but stand up will still in my training ... just not my focus.
Posted by: schanne

Re: POLL - What do you focus on? - 01/22/07 03:25 PM

Matt, gotta say this last year I have been really trying to work on kata more. Even to the point that I'm dragging out my old Korean VHS tapes to review my old style. It bothers me that I trained for so long in Tang Soo Do and when I switched I left all those great kata's and forgot them. But when I do practice the fighting techniques it has to be takedown/throws and upper body striking. Truthfully I get tired and bored of the ground game at times and like to work my stand up techniques more.
Posted by: Tom2199

Re: POLL - What do you focus on? - 01/22/07 06:47 PM

Train it all, my boxing is sharp so im trying to work my kicks more as well as strength in the clinch.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: POLL - What do you focus on? - 01/22/07 06:48 PM

Interesting. Only a quarter of us said "Everything Equal"
Posted by: MattJ

Re: POLL - What do you focus on? - 01/22/07 08:12 PM

Interesting, but not exactly surprising. I expected most people to have a more limited focus. I am more upperbody striking and groundfighting than anything else, although I do work kicks and clinch as well.
Posted by: clmibb

Re: POLL - What do you focus on? - 01/23/07 12:51 AM

Being in TKD I focus on the striking with the upper and lower body. We don't do much groundfighting unless it's just the BB at a workout. We have a couple of green belts that would take some of that stuff too far and wouldn't care about tapping out. That's ok with me, I do TKD for the exercise.

Casey
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: POLL - What do you focus on? - 01/24/07 09:11 AM

My training focus isnt as limited as it once was. We do train different areas but not all listed there. We do mostly upper, lower, and take downs but use finishing strikes once we take down. I am expanding my focus out side of my regular dojang to include more groundfighting but it is limited for the time being.

Scottie
Posted by: harlan

Re: POLL - What do you focus on? - 01/24/07 09:16 AM

My training is 'wholistic' in that it trys to cover all things at the same time, and doesn't break down neatly into the categories that you present. I'll say that groundfighting isn't addressed at all...and striking/hitting whatever target areas is just part of the larger package.
Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Re: POLL - What do you focus on? - 01/24/07 11:35 AM

As much as I would like to say I train them all equally, I can't. I train in lower body strikes and in takedowns more than anything. Since I'm constantly kicking, I need to know how to not get taken down.
Posted by: ddoa01

Re: POLL - What do you focus on? - 01/28/07 04:17 AM

work it all baby: defensive training wise that is!!
Posted by: Blackrainbow

Re: POLL - What do you focus on? - 01/28/07 09:57 AM

Matt,
Every poll I try to answer I get "already have a response from this IP address". But thats ok. I try to work everything. It's all equally important to me.
Posted by: corky

Re: POLL - What do you focus on? - 09/07/11 02:49 AM

At my level of training, most of the focus is on Upper Body & torso strikes and low level kicks. Although as i gain experience i will include trapping, grappling & throwing to my focuses as well