Raul's Training clips

Posted by: Raul Perez

Raul's Training clips - 01/21/07 10:33 AM

Hey all,

Since I got the digital camera I decided to do some clips of my Ryukyu Kempo training.

It shows some kata, some ground drills, some foot work drills, and a lot of bag work I've been doing for the past year or so.

I'm trying to get some clips of our 2 man drills, light sparring drills and our past Bogu Kumite matches we had in December.

Hope you enjoy and any criticisms definitely appreciated!

http://media.putfile.com/Ryukyu-Kempo

My best,

Raul

PS

be advised that the clip is over 7 minutes long and about 60MB. So you might want to give it some time to load.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Raul's Training clips - 01/21/07 12:36 PM

What is there to criticise?
I think this is one of the most impressive pieces of MA training footage I have ever seen. What did that poor wavemaster ever do to you!?!?

You look comfortable and confident in all ranges, I freakin love your elbow combo drills from the clinch- will be stealing those if you dont mind .

Power, speed, guard, balance. You have it all. Of course, this does mean i have to hate you now

Gavin's footage from his Kenpo based RBSD group 'Combat arena' is also pretty jaw dropping.

Good kenpo seems to be a very dynamic and versatile style, and you demonstrate it brilliantly.

Inspirational stuff for me, much respect
Posted by: Xibalba

Re: Raul's Training clips - 01/21/07 12:46 PM

Hi Raul!

Thanks for sharing! Nice stuff - good power on the strikes, and what seems to be a very well-rounded curriculum. Do you always do all your groundwork on the hardwood floor? Ouch!

As far as any feedback goes, when you were doing footwork drills working on lateral movement, there was a distinct telegraph each time just before you moved. You lifted your back knee with a kind of a "hop" just before you pushed off the front foot. I am unfamiliar with the particulars of your style, so I do not know if this serves any particular function, but it seemed like an obvious "tell" that could give an opponent a chance to strike before you actually moved. Once your sparring opponent sees this, I think there would be time to hit you right as you lifted your knee, before you exploded off the line. Something I might try is to push off the line with your front foot without lifting the back knee, just letting your back foot slide across the floor. This would eliminate that split second where you are on one foot and not yet moving, and make your lateral move sneakier. (Then again, if that knee lift has implications in your style, feel free to ignore my feedback - I am, after all, some anonymous internet VTG who may or may not know a darn thing about MA! )

Anyway - great stuff overall! I can't wait to see the bogu matches!

Peace,
Mike
Posted by: Taison

Re: Raul's Training clips - 01/21/07 12:51 PM

Very nice Raul!

A little hint; when you do the elbows, twist your waist in the same direction as the strike, and at the moment of impact, let it recoil back. Then you'll be in the position to follow with either a shovel hook using your left hand, or another elbow smash. I got this from reading about gladiators that dual wielded daggers with big maces. They would smash you with the mace, and when you instictively blocked, they'd stab you in the ribs with the dagger. Sneaky Romans, I say.

But all in all, you are Awesome! I'd love to study under you if only I was in the states.

-Taison out
Posted by: bo-ken

Re: Raul's Training clips - 01/21/07 01:13 PM

That was impressive! Your hand combinations were dead on and you kicks were full of power. I can't wait to see all the sparring and partner drills. Keep up the good work.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Raul's Training clips - 01/21/07 02:26 PM

Raul, good stuff. First, I love the music, I'm a big Linkin Park fan. Second, I love elbows and you use them very effectively. Third, you've got the skip down for the knees.

On the step over arm bar, the only thing I would suggest, and you probably already know this, try getting your butt closer so you are one with your opponent and his shoulder is up higher, the distance you have between could make the difference between a tap or an escape. When stepping over I almost yank the arm/shoulder up while going back thus ensuring I get my butt in the right position. Again you probably already know this, plus I've worked on hardwood floors and they are much slippier, and I understand it was only training. Other then that impressive by my standards and I would be more then happy to train with yourself.

I also liked the wave master drill where you are laying on the ground using it to kick up and the short get up and roundhouse. We've never tried this but have done so with partners. In your use of the wave master you can put force behind your kicks whereas with partners we can't. I liked this and will bring this up.

Good job and hope to see more of this stuff.
Posted by: Tom2199

Re: Raul's Training clips - 01/21/07 04:14 PM

Personally i don't think it was that great, nice to see some traditional MA's doing more rounded work though.

just to make a few points,

1. You look to need more core strength you have trouble getting up after the arm bars hes not gonna give you time to stumble up like that, also add some resistance i thought that guy was a really expensive dummy.

2. plant your lead foot solid when you round house that way you get the full extent of your bodyweight behind the kick instead of jumping off and flicking, same with the floor kicks seems like a major waste of energy.

3. thrust your hip into the knees you get more reach and power, it will help strengthen your core plus get your weight behind it.

I hope being comfortable in all ranges is not getting confused with being oblivious to all ranges, thats a harsh statement but until you see sparring you don't really know

Re: Raul's Training clips - 01/21/07 04:23 PM

Quote:

1. You look to need more core strength you have trouble getting up after the arm bars hes not gonna give you time to stumble up like that, also add some resistance i thought that guy was a really expensive dummy.

I think if you look at the initial post, you will see that these were qualified as ground mobility drills, not actual rolling practice.

I am all for seeing good stuff performed by those more skilled than I, please feel free to share any footage you have of your training Tom. I have trained a little with some MT guys, and the power generation can be intense- would love to see your application of it.
Posted by: Tom2199

Re: Raul's Training clips - 01/21/07 04:28 PM

i will have more vids posted soon, im in great shape at the moment im fighting next Sunday in Oldam (greater Manchester i think) so if i can get that filmed it will be posted

If i cant ill get lots of sparring and conditioning drills put up instead
Posted by: TaeKwonBoxer

Re: Raul's Training clips - 01/21/07 04:31 PM

Quote:

Hey all,

Since I got the digital camera I decided to do some clips of my Ryukyu Kempo training.

It shows some kata, some ground drills, some foot work drills, and a lot of bag work I've been doing for the past year or so.

I'm trying to get some clips of our 2 man drills, light sparring drills and our past Bogu Kumite matches we had in December.

My best,

Raul

PS

be advised that the clip is over 7 minutes long and about 60MB. So you might want to give it some time to load.

There really isnt much to critize, great speed and bower, very impressive. I loved your elbow combos, that would knock someone out cold only one thing, when throwing your right hand turn your hips into it instead of jsut using you arm, youll find you have A LOT more power

keep up the good work!

Re: Raul's Training clips - 01/21/07 04:38 PM

Quote:

If i cant ill get lots of sparring and conditioning drills put up instead

over on the strength and conditioning forum, we have a sticky thread exclusively for video clips of training drills of all kinds, along with many who use heavy bag as part of their conditioning work, so if you want to link some examples there, that would be great. Cheers

Re: Raul's Training clips - 01/21/07 06:46 PM

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback.

Yeah I've noticed that I have a "tell" in my footwork. Something that I've been trying to nullify but of course it is easier said than done!

TOM - thanks for the tips with the kicks. Sometimes I sacrifice technical execution for speed. Again something I have to work on.

As far as the "expensive dummy"... It is merely a flow drill to get an armbar not necessarily an execution for an armbar. Same when I'm in the guard. Not to mention Mike's arms are fairly short for a big guy so doing this drill with him was a bit difficult.

Now your statement for being oblivious to all ranges... I've sparred enough and continue to spar with resistant partners who out weigh me up to 100 lbs. So I have the opportunity to know what works against a person who is 180 lbs and know what doesnt work against someone who is 270 lbs. I do my best to understand all ranges but the wrestler in me prefers the ground game. So I've been working on my stand up more than the ground lately.

It sucks being 5'4" and 155 lbs. But hey I have to work with what I've got.

as far as ground fighting on the hard wood... no we dont. but I was too lazy to put the mats together for the drills just for the video clips. It's tough to get actual footage during classes because everyone is training and dont want to stop to work a digital camera.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Raul's Training clips - 01/21/07 09:33 PM

Beautiful, traditional, no-nonsence dojo.

Good intensity - I can tell you love your MA.

But other than your Naifanchi kata, where's the Ryukyu Kempo? It looked like MMA. One thing I noticed over & over was your elbows coming up. If you just throw hooks, OK but if you intended to throw gyakutsuki, your elbows need to point down.

Also the step-trough yoko-geri is more TKD than an Okinawan technique which tend to focus on close-in fighting.

So kudos for putting up your vid.

Re: Raul's Training clips - 01/21/07 10:21 PM

Quote:

Beautiful, traditional, no-nonsence dojo.

Good intensity - I can tell you love your MA.

But other than your Naifanchi kata, where's the Ryukyu Kempo? It looked like MMA. One thing I noticed over & over was your elbows coming up. If you just throw hooks, OK but if you intended to throw gyakutsuki, your elbows need to point down.

Also the step-trough yoko-geri is more TKD than an Okinawan technique which tend to focus on close-in fighting.

So kudos for putting up your vid.

Hey Hedkikr,

I was focusing mainly on the training for Bogu Kumite so it would look a lot like MMA. We do basic ground fighting so often times we may change the rules during a light sparring session and allow it to go to the ground. so I wanted to show some of what we do.

However a lot of the ground techniques are within the Naihanchi Katas.

As far as the Yoko Geri (aka moving side kick)... I have heard that this does not look okinawan. Our 12 empty hand kata come from Shigeru Nakamura. Nakamura also increased the height of the side kick to promote bogu kumite a sporting side of Kara-te with full force blows from the waist up including the head. So the way we do the moving side kick will have a more sporty look to it.

When I get some more time I was going to focus more on our 2 man drills, some bunkai, kobudo, and the bogu kumite fights we had in July 06 and December 06.
Posted by: ashe_higgs

Re: Raul's Training clips - 01/22/07 12:40 AM

nice little clip.

on the bag work try throwing your punch combos to end the last punch with the hand opposit the leg you want to roundhouse with. (i.e. left jab, right hook, left roundhouse) (a little tip i picked up from bas rutten). it flows nicely and your hips are already chambered from the right hook to explode into the left roundhouse.

of course, things don't always work that way in the real world, so what your doing is good too!

keep up the good work and keep the clips coming...
Posted by: medulanet

Re: Raul's Training clips - 01/22/07 01:14 AM

Interesting Raul. The clinch work of Okinawan Kenpo looks a lot like Muay Thai. Its different from Shorin where the clinch work is more like dirty boxing using a single neck tie, under/overhook, getting to the side to use striking which include the punches, knee strikes, elbow strikes, and even kicks, although we do do some of the double neck tie. Another thing I noticed was the hopping. What's up with all the hopping?
Posted by: JohnL

Re: Raul's Training clips - 01/22/07 08:48 AM

Quote:

Having trained with Raul on a number of occasions, I can assure you that there's nothing wrong with his core. At 155 lbs Raul's solid.

By the way Raul, I noticed that you're still using that "push" front kick. What happened to the snap version we discussed, or did you try it and consign it to the bin?

Cheers
Posted by: schanne

Re: Raul's Training clips - 01/22/07 10:20 AM

Great video Raul, wish I was there training with you!
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Raul's Training clips - 01/22/07 10:56 AM

Great stuff, Raul. Looks like a lot of fun.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Raul's Training clips - 01/22/07 01:14 PM

Great stuff Raul!!
Posted by: jamesd

Re: Raul's Training clips - 01/22/07 05:13 PM

Great stuff Raul, keep it up mate!

Re: Raul's Training clips - 01/22/07 06:19 PM

Hey Med,

Using the two hand neck tie is a personal preference. I find it anchors me better and I have more control over their body to deliver knees and elbow and to go for a trip or a throw.

The hopping side step is something I picked up from one of my instructors. He's actually shorter than I am and can move like the wind. Again it is used during our Bogu Kumite matches. For self-defense our movement is small and compact. But when you are geared up and presented with rules: Only shots to the chest gear and the face the game changes a bit. It allows me to catch angles better not to mention evading large attacks such as moving side kicks.

Re: Raul's Training clips - 01/22/07 06:24 PM

Hey JohnL,

When we met I was doing a push front kick with my heel. Since then I began to do them with the ball of my foot.

I tried your front snap kick but I find that I cant get it high enough when facing someone of normal height in a Bogu Match. The world wasnt made for midgets like myself.

Did I toss it away completely? No. Did I toss it away for Bogu Kumite purposes, yes.
Posted by: Empishu

Re: Raul's Training clips - 01/22/07 06:54 PM

Perez Sensei,

Nice Job on the video. I really liked your Naihanchi Shodan. This gives me a nice reminder for what we worked on in December. It looks really good. You definatly are a prime example of a well rounded traditional martial artist. I especially liked the touch of the guiding principle at the end. Hanshi Geraldi would be proud. Hope all is well with you sir and give my best regards to Carnemolla and LaPeters Renshi's!

In the art,

Jon
Posted by: Tino

Re: Raul's Training clips - 01/22/07 07:31 PM

Loved the footwork drills,will definitely add this to the workout routine.
Thanks for the great vid.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Raul's Training clips - 01/23/07 08:09 AM

Raul -

Great stuff. I really liked the sprawl drill. I also enjoyed the elbows and knees on the bag, and the kicks done from your back. You gave me some good ideas for myself.

Re: Raul's Training clips - 01/23/07 04:18 PM

Hey Raul,

I'd like to see more of your katas!!!

KATA KATA KATA!!!

Re: Raul's Training clips - 01/23/07 05:52 PM

Quote:

Hey Raul,

I'd like to see more of your katas!!!

KATA KATA KATA!!!

I would love to see Raul and a partner go through some Bunkai of his various kata. The camera you are using gives a really clear image, and i have always been intrigued by how people interperate their Kata in response to a real persons movements.
I would not be able to offer critique, it would just be out of interest and entertainment- the other krotty guys could get all Simon Cowell on your a$$
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: Raul's Training clips - 01/23/07 06:29 PM

Raul,

that is one of the best examples of training online I have seen, well done mate.

You are obviously a very capable martial artist, im guessing your workouts put me to shame......

Re: Raul's Training clips - 01/23/07 11:00 PM

I appreciate everyone's positive feedback! I posted this on Youtube and got negative feedback, one of them from a Dillman's org in Slovenia. Here are a few:

arm bars are jui jitsu... and the ground drills where wrestling, the arm choke with striking, looks like MMA too, not Ryukyu kempo... in fact, it all looks like a hybrid of MMA arts, no disrespect, doesn't make your practice any less effective, I just wouldn't call it Okinowan Kempo... or "RyuKyu"

and

Ryukyu kempo is a martial art, not a sport! It seems to me that you are practicing it as a sport....

My response to them:

In response to some negative comments:
Most of this video WAS made to present the sport side of Ryukyu Kempo. And yes, there is a sport side. If you are familiar with the lineage of the art you will know that the 12 empty handed katas came from Shigeru Nakamura. Nakamura also devised a sporty side to the art called BOGU KUMITE. The bag work presented in the video were some techniques that I do for preparation in this FULL CONTACT sport. You can visit www.4selfdefense.com for a description of Bogu Kumite and the rules. If you do not do Bogu Kumite and the 12 empty handed kata but your system is called Ryukyu Kempo you are not practicing the whole art as devised by Seiyu Oyata.

As far as the MMA, Jiu Jitsu, Wrestling comparison… Ryukyu Kempo is a classical martial art. This being that all ranges of combat are addressed – Kicking Range, Punching Range, Clinch Range, and yes the Ground Range. Also weapons fighting (Kobudo) is also addressed. To say this range and that range is not Ryukyu Kempo means you are living in a fantasy world. Life protection means that… preparing yourself for an encounter that is violent and can end up in any range.

Naihanchi Shodan as presented in the video addresses the ground elements that many feel are MMA or Wrestling. The principles contained within this kata transcends all ranges. The Naihanchi cross step is meant to be done to get to the side or behind your opponent in the vertical plane. In the video I show what it looks like if practiced in the horizontal plane. The opening move – hands come up and come to the chest and feet come together. Take this position add an arm in between and you are on your back… classic arm bar. The arm choke as presented is just the naihanchi cross chest punch (get the arm out the way) and if you freeze the frame when I punch you will see that I am in a double block position.

Yes, some bag work and some training drills I have picked up from other styles I have fought against and worked with. BUT, hasn’t this been the entire Okinawan tradition? Picking up the hard system of Chinese boxing, melding in Japanese Bujutsu after the Satsuma invasion in 1609, having top students train with other masters from other styles to better themselves? What am I doing that is so different? Or would you be happy to see me do “no touch knock outs” or Kyusho Jitsu techniques against a static opponent like every fake Dillmanite out there. I pressure test my techniques against people who want to take my head off. What do you do besides throw stones at me?

Re: Raul's Training clips - 01/23/07 11:05 PM

People get so caught up in names. Is what we call something more important than what we do?

I always try to be very clear that I do American goju,not Goju ryu(kai,etc..) and it is our own system,not theirs.

That way I can roll around and do armbars without all these buttholes gettin all up in arms over stupid crap.

Point is,good training is good training. What you call it means little.

Re: Raul's Training clips - 01/23/07 11:11 PM

Raul, just like yourself people say that about my Taekwondo. Taekwondo doesn't have grappling or ground 'n pound. What's this tossing and those knees and elbows look like Muay Thai. I honestly couldn't care and am proud that we train a more rounded system, as I'm sure you are as well. I liked your video as you train many things we do. We may train some things you don't and vise versa. We may train differently some techniques. Your training even looks more intense in some aspects then my own. What it all boils down to is that you enjoy it and were proud of it and showed it. What do they have to show ... those gutless wonders.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Raul's Training clips - 01/24/07 02:37 AM

It's always interesting to see how others train...if only a peek thru a few minutes of video. I agree that a name is just a name. and names for training method is a relatively new idea. it's all under the undefined umbrella as just "Te", but with other old sounding names. to be fair, if the video wasn't labled...I would have guessed it as MMA-type training. although the very long range kicks to the free-standing bag would have thrown me for a loop. also the switch drills in the beginning reminded me of olympic-style wrestling training. just names...but I wouldn't have guessed your name for it. maybe thats what got all the traditionalists in a tizzy....

active 2-person drills would have been cool to see...then again I'm not willing to share the fun stuff on youtube either.

apart from the kata, which looked bread-n-butter Shorin...the training looked like I would expect to see for all-range sparring venues - which is what you are training for - or are you? do you grapple with bogu gear? or are the standup and ground separate matches? if so, isn't the transition between ranges just as important?

in any event, nice job in your training video!

Re: Raul's Training clips - 01/24/07 09:20 AM

Quote:

I appreciate everyone's positive feedback! I posted this on Youtube and got negative feedback, one of them from a Dillman's org in Slovenia. Here are a few:

arm bars are jui jitsu... and the ground drills where wrestling, the arm choke with striking, looks like MMA too, not Ryukyu kempo... in fact, it all looks like a hybrid of MMA arts, no disrespect, doesn't make your practice any less effective, I just wouldn't call it Okinowan Kempo... or "RyuKyu"

and

Ryukyu kempo is a martial art, not a sport! It seems to me that you are practicing it as a sport....

My response to them:

Most of this video WAS made to present the sport side of Ryukyu Kempo. And yes, there is a sport side. If you are familiar with the lineage of the art you will know that the 12 empty handed katas came from Shigeru Nakamura. Nakamura also devised a sporty side to the art called BOGU KUMITE. The bag work presented in the video were some techniques that I do for preparation in this FULL CONTACT sport. You can visit www.4selfdefense.com for a description of Bogu Kumite and the rules. If you do not do Bogu Kumite and the 12 empty handed kata but your system is called Ryukyu Kempo you are not practicing the whole art as devised by Seiyu Oyata.

As far as the MMA, Jiu Jitsu, Wrestling comparison… Ryukyu Kempo is a classical martial art. This being that all ranges of combat are addressed – Kicking Range, Punching Range, Clinch Range, and yes the Ground Range. Also weapons fighting (Kobudo) is also addressed. To say this range and that range is not Ryukyu Kempo means you are living in a fantasy world. Life protection means that… preparing yourself for an encounter that is violent and can end up in any range.

Naihanchi Shodan as presented in the video addresses the ground elements that many feel are MMA or Wrestling. The principles contained within this kata transcends all ranges. The Naihanchi cross step is meant to be done to get to the side or behind your opponent in the vertical plane. In the video I show what it looks like if practiced in the horizontal plane. The opening move – hands come up and come to the chest and feet come together. Take this position add an arm in between and you are on your back… classic arm bar. The arm choke as presented is just the naihanchi cross chest punch (get the arm out the way) and if you freeze the frame when I punch you will see that I am in a double block position.

Yes, some bag work and some training drills I have picked up from other styles I have fought against and worked with. BUT, hasn’t this been the entire Okinawan tradition? Picking up the hard system of Chinese boxing, melding in Japanese Bujutsu after the Satsuma invasion in 1609, having top students train with other masters from other styles to better themselves? What am I doing that is so different? Or would you be happy to see me do “no touch knock outs” or Kyusho Jitsu techniques against a static opponent like every fake Dillmanite out there. I pressure test my techniques against people who want to take my head off. What do you do besides throw stones at me?

I fully support this answer Perez Sensei. Being also of the Ryukyu Kempo linage I have to say there are very few people who train like Raul here. This demonstrates well roundedness. I can testify that his group, although heavy on the Bogu, does do it all. They have very tough fighters, in addition to be being well versed and knowledgable martial artists. ...as for the ground work and it 'seeming non-traditional' Mr.Oyata practised with lots of different people to come to his techniques today, however not to pick up or learn other techniques but to better understand his own. Heres to you Raul, hope we get to train again soon. Thanks for the inspiration.
OSU

Karate no michi
Posted by: Unsu

Re: Raul's Training clips - 01/24/07 10:29 AM

Quote:

Hey all,

My best,

Raul

PS

That was great stuff. Very refreshing. It makes me happy to see karate-ka who understand the balance between the old and the modern. You take what you need from everything available and you discard what is superfluous.

The step through side-kick you're practicing on the video is an Okinawan tech, not a TKD one. They got it from us. The only style of Okinawan karate that doesn't emphasize it is Matsumura Seito, which is very basic when it comes to kicks. The Shorin influenced styles like Okinawan Kenpo definitely include it in the training syllabus.

I really like your form. I especially like that you keep your foot horizontal on the knee-up shin checks. You understand the importance of "structural ki" (alignment and biomechanics). You'll see alot of folks throwing these knee strikes and checking kicks with their toes pointed towards the floor. Very common and subtle journeyman mistake.

One of the only things that I did notice was that you did Naihanchi from shikodachi or jigotai dachi vs. a Naihanchi (pigeon-toed) dachi. The older forms of the kata, i.e. Kobayashi-Ryu and MSSR versions, use the pigeon-toed stance. If you also train in GJJ/BJJ you know that when performing the cross-body armbar, squeezing the thighs together while pressing the hips forward (as trained in Naihanchi when you use the older Naihanchi stance) is a very valuable and salient point. It seems you have gotten this principle down regardless.

I liked your explanantion of how Naihanchi is really training body-change and that it occurs in all directions. Your shinshi obviously understood what the kata is trying to convey. I also like your use of pyramid jumping. Even Funakoshi mentions this as a great technique to get out of the way of your opponents attack and get the positional advantage (angle) on them. It's another aspect of tenshin, taisabaki, change-body or body-change that people overlook.

You are not tall, so I can understand why your stances and delivery involve less compression and bending of the knees. I also agree with another poster that you should use a little more hip rotation on your elbow strikes. Also being up on your rear foot even after you deliver the strike is another minor (balance and energy transfer) point. It's best to be rooted when the strike (knee, punch, whatever) hits the target, at least that's my opinion.

I really can't say anything negative about your training clips. I just wanted to say "thanks"! The truth is I could add more of a critique to your Naihanchi, but other than your posture and stance width, it looked fine to me. Just watch the forward lean and hunched back.

As for the back leg kicking up, that is something that is basically Okinawan or even seen in the southern chuan fa styles. The crane practitioners call it "mud-foot stepping". It helps to create a whip effect in your kicks and can actually create a flich response in your opponent. I understand why you do it and I doubt that in a fight it would be an obvious tell. I see nothing the matter with it at all.

Thanks for representing Okinawan MAs well. I'm just a lowly Nidan as well so please take all this with a grain of salt. Be safe and good luck at your tournament. Peace.
Posted by: meantown

Re: Raul's Training clips - 01/25/07 03:21 PM

Raul,

This is a great post that has allowed for a great thread! Many thanks for posting your video and sharing so much with the forum.

Re: Raul's Training clips - 01/25/07 03:26 PM

Quote:

and

My response to them:

Don't let them put you down, most people on youtube spend all day critqueing other people and really know nothing about MAs, your training video was phenominal don't let some people who don't understand bring u down!

Re: Raul's Training clips - 01/25/07 05:22 PM

Again thanks for the support. I've decided to do some of the classical training we do in another video. I started shooting some of the clips today. Did the Pinan katas, Naihanchi Nidan, Jo Kihon Kata, Kuniyoshi No Sai Kata. Im also going to shoot some 2 man drills, light sparring, and BOGU KUMITE (as long as one guy pulls through with the videos) Should have something put together in a couple of weeks. I have a great song for the Bogu Kumite section!

Oh and believe it or not all those shots from the last video were from my girlfriend's digital camera!

Re: Raul's Training clips - 01/25/07 05:47 PM

Like others Raul, I look forward to the next video(s). Also looking forward to what tune you pick.

Possible Music Suggestions:

Cold (But I'm Still Here) - Evans Blue
This Could Be Anywhere In The World - Alexisonfire
Broken Promises - Element Eighty
Cold - Crossfade
Pain - 3 Days Grace
Animal I Have Become - 3 Days Grace
So Cold - Breaking Benjamin

Just some thoughts.

Re: Raul's Training clips - 01/25/07 06:05 PM

Quote:

Like others Raul, I look forward to the next video(s). Also looking forward to what tune you pick.

Possible Music Suggestions:

Cold (But I'm Still Here) - Evans Blue
This Could Be Anywhere In The World - Alexisonfire
Broken Promises - Element Eighty
Cold - Crossfade
Pain - 3 Days Grace
Animal I Have Become - 3 Days Grace
So Cold - Breaking Benjamin

Just some thoughts.

haha i agree, we all love to watch other good martial artists hahaha while othe rpeople find it boring we are able to apricate it

Re: Raul's Training clips - 02/01/07 10:45 PM

Just finished filming the rest of the kata and bunkai. I want to film some kobudo bunkai and still waiting for clips of the december bogu fights. Got the July bogu fights but the december were much better and action packed.

Also filmed some comedy. Should be able to post it by next weekend if everything works out. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll kiss 10 minutes of your life goodbye
Posted by: JohnL

Re: Raul's Training clips - 02/02/07 08:40 AM

I want to see Raul training to the dulcet tones of Mary Poppins singing Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

Go on Raul, I dare you!

Re: Raul's Training clips - 02/02/07 05:19 PM

ok here's the deal...you send me the audio... I'll use it!

Re: Raul's Training clips - 02/02/07 11:55 PM

Quote:

Also filmed some comedy. Should be able to post it by next weekend if everything works out. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll kiss 10 minutes of your life goodbye

But heres the real question Raul.......what about the Sake?

Re: Raul's Training clips - 02/03/07 07:50 PM

SAKE!!!!
Posted by: Stampede

Re: Raul's Training clips - 02/04/07 12:47 AM

FINALLY got a chance to watch the whole thing.

Alls I can say is awesome. Training all ranges, using kata as more than a dance. Excellence.

You are not an hambre I'd want to face off with. Keep it up!

Re: Raul's Training clips - 02/04/07 10:48 AM

Quote:

SAKE!!!!

I don't think I'm coming to the Semitar tomorrow..