My sparring session video

Posted by: wee_gareth

My sparring session video - 01/15/07 08:29 AM

Filmed my weekend sparring session, let me know what yous think?
im the one in the black trunks and red top

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW8UB39Hd-Q
Posted by: BulldogTKD

Re: My sparring session video - 01/15/07 08:54 AM

I am just going to make a few constructive comments.

Fenish you techniques. They look restrained to much. Even if you are doing light contact you techniques should be finished.

Hands up a bit more.

more combination with hands or feed.

not so much double patty cake kicking. If you are going to do more front leg two kicks do them with speed, power focous and mix up the type of kicks. Throw in some hook kicks with the round kicks.

Front kicks work great too.

Looked pretty good.
you looked relaxed, you moved around a bit and had fast hands!

Re: My sparring session video - 01/15/07 08:59 AM

thanks can always do with constructive critism, we musta sparred for bout 2 hours that day lol u mean finish ur techniques as in keep goin once uve got the opening?

Re: My sparring session video - 01/15/07 11:52 AM

Yes and when you double kick make em fast and try to get full extention in the kicks and with the first kick make sure you get at least a half re-chamber and the second a full rechamber and get that foot down on the ground fast. Now if you are doing sweeps or take downs don't double kick and use you back leg more.

The same goes for your punching. Keep hands up and after you punch get hands back to gaurd befor you punch with the other hand. If you punch with a left then kick, try to kick with the same side that you punched with, this helps you stay protected.

Work the opponent high,low or low, high and mix it up.

A couple questions I must ask. What is free Style Tae kwon Do?

Do you train with a structured class setting?

These are just my thoughts.
Posted by: schanne

Re: My sparring session video - 01/15/07 12:19 PM

Your style looks very TDKish, very nice kicks and hand speed, relaxed while sparring, a little too relaxed for my taste but were all from different style... right. Thought you could have turned it up a knotch but you looked like you were having lots of fun...that's what counts.
Posted by: shotokan15

Re: My sparring session video - 01/15/07 12:25 PM

Didn't think much of that really. Whats with the fairy kicks.

Re: My sparring session video - 01/15/07 01:13 PM

thanks for the comments bulldog we train American Freestyle taekwondo, we learn taekwondo, kickboxing and ju-jitsu.what u mean by structured, we train punching and kicking once or twice a week then spar at least one night and swap it to ground fighitng every once in a while..
we'r relaxed becasue we'r jus having fun so jus kept a good pace, as i said 2 hours we where goin for on and off, sometimes the hands get a bit tired and drop lol

"Didn't think much of that really. Whats with the fairy kicks" emmm... unless u want us to injure each other and not be able to train for a few weeks, its a bit of easy sparring
Posted by: TaeKwonBoxer

Re: My sparring session video - 01/15/07 02:27 PM

Nice speed, need to throw a tad more strikes he was ready for your kicks twords the end and you could not land them, but very nice speed, as other people have said finish your technique youll find you get a lot more power from it , keep on practicing!
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: My sparring session video - 01/15/07 02:45 PM

Seemed like you have good basics so just a couple quick points.

Footwork - more lateral movement instead of straight in straight back out. Use your angles to set up your strikes.

Upper body movement - Boxers bob and weave for a reason. To not get hit while they hit. You should try to do a little more of this. You got in some good shots but half the time, you got hit executing them.

Leg speed - bring your kicks back in twice as fast as you put them out there. Dont allow your leg to be trapped quite so easily and have a plan for what to do WHEN your leg gets caught because it will happen.

Do you use jabs? I saw a lot of back fists as strikes and to set up things but not a whole lot of jabs. Just curious because it is a good tool to use.

In my younger days, I used to let my hands drop a bit because I trusted my hand speed and reflexes. Now, I keep them up (at least one) at all times. No matter how fast you are or how fast you think you are, you will get nailed hard if you fight with your hands down. Sometimes I hold one high and one low but one is always up near my temple and chin is always protected behind the lead shoulder.

And last, a little more body behind the punches. Dont punch with just your arm.

Have fun and keep with it. You guys look like you are developing nicely.

Scottie
Posted by: JohnL

Re: My sparring session video - 01/15/07 02:57 PM

Hey, at least you had the b@lls to put it up for people to see!!

My comments;

From what I saw you were either kicking or punching. I'd like to see you using cominations that use both. Use your feet to set up your hands and vice versa.

A part of that is caused by your body positioning. When you're kicking, you're leaning too far back to enable you to follow with a punch. Likewise, when you're punching you're leaning too far forward to then be able to kick.

I'd suggest you practice trying to find a neutral position for your body from which you can both punch and kick. Less body sway would also help.

Also;
From what I saw and from what others noted, the sparrin session lacked intensity. You countered this by saying that it was a two hour or so session.

Train smart and try quality over quantity. You can get the same work-out in 30 minutes as you can in 2 hours. Decide beforehand what you're going to work on and what intensity level you're going to work at. Spending 2 hours at the speed you're going will only develop sloppy technique. Up the intensity, train specific. It'll save both time and effort and give you better results.

Good luck
(p.s. If your partner falls down when you do a jab to the stomach, get another sparring partner!)
Posted by: Eternal_Student

Re: My sparring session video - 01/15/07 03:36 PM

Both of you guys drop your hands WAY TOO MUCH!

When standing in a guard, keep your hands up!

Especially when you kick. Kicking with your hands up is much harder & requires much more balance & leg strength, but everytime you throw a technique & drop your hands, you are asking to get KO'd.

Re: My sparring session video - 01/15/07 03:40 PM

Quote:

Both of you guys drop your hands WAY TOO MUCH!

When standing in a guard, keep your hands up!

Especially when you kick. Kicking with your hands up is much harder & requires much more balance & leg strength, but everytime you throw a technique & drop your hands, you are asking to get KO'd.

agreed, ive noticed A LOT of people drop their hands upon kicking, you must be prepared for a counter, but im glad you had the guts to post your sparing video on here! its nice to get opnions from everyone!

Re: My sparring session video - 01/15/07 04:15 PM

Yea thanks mates, i'll take every thing you told me on board even the one about him fallin over from a jab to stomach ill be sparring alot these days and ill post another one to show u how im takin it all on board, keep hands up, work the jab, move to sides instead of forward and back, combinations,finish my strikes, use body weight more effectively, new sparring partner.. lol any thing else

Re: My sparring session video - 01/15/07 04:25 PM

Quote:

Yea thanks mates, i'll take every thing you told me on board even the one about him fallin over from a jab to stomach ill be sparring alot these days and ill post another one to show u how im takin it all on board, keep hands up, work the jab, move to sides instead of forward and back, combinations,finish my strikes, use body weight more effectively, new sparring partner.. lol any thing else

Timing, timing is key, understanding when to throw that kick and when to try and move inside

Re: My sparring session video - 01/15/07 08:49 PM

Quote:

Oh yeah one more thing, this can be the most important to some. After a hard work out don't for get the drinks! That is if you are inclined to have a few. If not. Drink pleanty of water. It will rehydrate you and help move the acid build up out of your system. And don't forget to stretch!
Posted by: MattJ

Re: My sparring session video - 01/16/07 07:24 AM

WG -

Nice job on the video, thanks for putting it up for us. I liked seeing TKD with face punches and takedowns! It looks like you guys have a pretty good idea what to work on, so keep up the good work.
Posted by: Eveal

Re: My sparring session video - 01/17/07 06:52 AM

Great work on the video! Training should be fun not a chore. Few points guys:

Work on your exploding towards your opponents. Meaning, getting from point A to point B as fast as possible.

The guy with all black was standing way too tall with chin out asking for a knockout hit. I know yall were just having fun and toying but training is training. Facts show your training reflects your fighting but I will not hold it to just this one video.

I wasn't really understanding all the falling down and stumbling because there was almost no contact on alot of it.

Just a few things...

Brandon
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: My sparring session video - 01/18/07 01:36 PM

Keep your hands up and maintain a good posture. Otherwise excellent.