Nicknames?

Posted by: Stormdragon

Nicknames? - 01/10/07 03:58 PM

What nicknames do you all have? My major nickname is The Tiger (becuase I'm aggressive, strong, powerful, violent in a fight and direct), but also meathead (becuase I'm so into lifting weights and I'm big and buff).
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Nicknames? - 01/10/07 04:00 PM

ummm, generally Fred.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Nicknames? - 01/10/07 04:03 PM

People used to call me Spyder because as a kid, I liked to climb. Did some rock-climbing as an adult as well. Still climb my avocado tree to pick that much-desired fruit.

It wasn't considered "professional" as I got older so I never told anyone.

Re: Nicknames? - 01/10/07 04:05 PM

Nice one Hedkikr.
Fred? How boring. lol
Posted by: harlan

Re: Nicknames? - 01/10/07 04:09 PM

People can't get my name right to start with...so I generally answer to anything. My least favorite being bitch.

(Hey...look...I got one by the censer. )
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: Nicknames? - 01/10/07 04:10 PM

Zombie Zero

Re: Nicknames? - 01/10/07 04:11 PM

How'd you all get oyur nicknames (ZombieZero)?
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Nicknames? - 01/10/07 04:17 PM

Quote:

How'd you all get oyur nicknames (ZombieZero)?

We were once asked to come up with a nickname to describe ourselves. Naturally, I became known as "Benchmark". The Alternative was too long. Unless anyone knows a single word for "Fantastic in Bed"

Re: Nicknames? - 01/10/07 04:20 PM

Fantasticinbed. Or just Fib, or just dynamite.
Posted by: VDJ

Re: Nicknames? - 01/10/07 05:19 PM

Quote:

What nicknames do you all have? My major nickname is The Tiger (becuase I'm aggressive, strong, powerful, violent in a fight and direct), but also meathead (becuase I'm so into lifting weights and I'm big and buff).

Mines "Tiger Killer"
VDJ

Re: Nicknames? - 01/10/07 05:22 PM

"Unless anyone knows a single word for "Fantastic in bed""

Yes, its called "Sleeper"

VDJ
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Nicknames? - 01/10/07 08:29 PM

I answered to "Hey you!" until I got my black belt when I got the nickname "Sir!".

Seriously though, my nickname's Leo.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Nicknames? - 01/10/07 08:40 PM

my high school nickname was 'Shmeg' ...long story.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Nicknames? - 01/10/07 08:44 PM

My girlfriend calls me Bull. She says I'm like a bull in a china closet.

My karate friends have called me "too tall" for many years.
Posted by: Crash

Re: Nicknames? - 01/10/07 09:09 PM

I had a shop teacher that called me "Moesy" a play off my last name (Moyse) after that anyone who was in that class with me called me that especially at school and the gym, the name stuck for awhile but very few remember it now.
Posted by: ambiguity

Re: Nicknames? - 01/10/07 09:50 PM

ive gotten a nickname (A.J.)mostly because my first name feels ugly on my own tounge!

Re: Nicknames? - 01/10/07 09:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Bring it on tough guy!!! It'll be two hits, i hittin you and you hittin the floor!

Mines "Tiger Killer"
VDJ

Re: Nicknames? - 01/10/07 10:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What nicknames do you all have? My major nickname is The Tiger (becuase I'm aggressive, strong, powerful, violent in a fight and direct), but also meathead (becuase I'm so into lifting weights and I'm big and buff). [/quote

Bring it on tough guy!!! It'll be two hits, i hittin you and you hittin the floor!

Mines "Tiger Killer"
VDJ

A little presumptuous seeing that you know absolutley nothing about me, don't you think ? And it was meant in fun.

VDJ
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Nicknames? - 01/10/07 10:37 PM

Pretty sure Stormy was just being sarcastic, talking smack.
Posted by: Saisho

Re: Nicknames? - 01/10/07 11:09 PM

Quote:

Pretty sure Stormy was just being sarcastic, talking smack.

Of course he was. That's why he had the little winking face That means "disregard anything I said immediately prior to it."

I'm getting pretty fluent in them

Re: Nicknames? - 01/11/07 12:00 AM

V I was kididng! lol sorry bro!

Re: Nicknames? - 01/11/07 12:01 AM

V I was kidding! lol sorry bro!
Posted by: hugo

Re: Nicknames? - 01/11/07 12:06 AM

Heh.

I have a lot of nicknames.

Elvis Sharkey (a picture of me in the paper with my hair looking like Elvis and looking agressive)

Huggo (affectionate name given to me by some little kids.
Hugh (this one is obvious seeing my name is Hugo)
Hugonus (ditto)
Hugh (obvious)
Hughgie
Hughg

Oh and some of the people at school call me muscles. This one really annoying third former calls me Superman though.
Posted by: Taison

Re: Nicknames? - 01/11/07 12:41 AM

Taison.

All Thais have an official name and a nickname that is always used when it's not a formal occassion. Mine is Tai, but my dad didn't like calling me Tai, so he changed it to Taison (Like Mike Tyson). So for Thais, my name is Tai, for Caucasians, I'm known as Taison.

Another nickname would be "re-incarnation of Oni Yokohama" "The spirit of Li Shuwen" or just "That guy".

-Taison out
Posted by: Reiki

Re: Nicknames? - 01/11/07 02:00 AM

Sting

because I used to have spiky reddish hair like Sting...
Posted by: hugo

Re: Nicknames? - 01/11/07 03:24 AM

I quite like your nickname Taison. All mine practically are just variants of Hugo hehe.
Posted by: shotokan15

Re: Nicknames? - 01/11/07 04:04 AM

Ace becuase people are lazy
Posted by: baby_bwoy

Re: Nicknames? - 01/11/07 08:12 AM

at school my rugby team mates used to call me 'fili boy', because im filipino and poked fun at the fact that whenever we played i was the only oriental boy they had ever seen on a rugby pitch. being one of the only maist in school i was also called shaolin or jet li for awhile.and in kick boxing ive been called speed merchant or resembled to a pit bull (im hoping coz of how i fight and not my appereance)..good stuff
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Nicknames? - 01/11/07 08:46 AM

I was called Sammy in college for four years because my roommate's friend decided to call me that and I never objected. I never talked much when I played pool at the student union and he was always there. There were some people who never knew in 4 years that my name wasn't Sammy. One guy even gave me a fake last name.

Just call me Sammy Knight

I get called "hippy" and "cut your damn hair" a lot.
Posted by: clmibb

Re: Nicknames? - 01/11/07 10:13 AM

In high school I was Quesadilla and Hairball (my maiden name is Harbaugh). Now it's MOM or sweetheart, honey, babe, Mrs. Mibb. Pick one, I'll answer.

Casey

Re: Nicknames? - 01/11/07 11:45 AM

Great nicknames! Makes mine look stupid!
Posted by: netamaster

ONLINE TRANSLATIONS/CONSULTATIONS/BUSINESS DATINGS - 01/11/07 02:11 PM

no spam please
Posted by: WildBill

Re: Nicknames? - 01/11/07 02:14 PM

WildBill...

Its an old nick, returns to haunt me no matter where I move. I am a guide, also an exbiker, and I look quite wild at times. (long uncombed hair curly red hair and beard, not quite dreads but close after a week or 2 in the bush)

With MA it started because of my fighting style, very aggressive and not always well controlled, or completely "by the book". I like to go hard when sparring. I modify techniques, and add things from other styles to my Muay Thai. Also I do a lot of things instinctivly that no-one ever taught me to do, mostly with my elbows, backfists, etc.(street stuff, like turning a backfist into a guillotine, or sticking a pointy elbow into a leg or punch as a block)

I am nice to begginers when I have control, but the faster and harder it goes the more likely I am to hit a little low...its never intentional, but I do it more than others. Any where I spar people know to always wear a cup with me, no matter how light we are supposed to be going.
Posted by: student_of_life

Re: Nicknames? - 01/11/07 08:02 PM

in school i was feener, my last name real oriaginal friends i had...

in judo they call me "the quickness" lol i like it.

and in karate they called me "hey mar-sempai?"

a few i'll keep to myself.

yours in life
Posted by: Raul Perez

Re: Nicknames? - 01/12/07 11:17 AM

My family calls me the Monkey cause I roll around on the floor and do a great monkey impression for the kids

One sensei calls me Rockin Raul... not too sure why but he's 250lbs so I'm not gonna argue.

And lately my kids class has been calling me "Mr. Pushups" because I make them do push ups if they are givin me crappy stances
Posted by: jonnyboxcutter

Re: Nicknames? - 01/12/07 11:42 AM

Jonnyboxcutter and several variants, but I can’t remember why I got it. It started back in the early 90’s when I first started tech work. Nobody uses it anymore; I just use it as my online persona.

-JBC-

Re: Nicknames? - 01/12/07 12:05 PM

Oh I almost cam to be known as savage Joe (becuase I'm aggressive and eat like a savage normally) but that fell through. My friend Joe's friends all have Joe nicknames as well as him (he's G.I. Joe or G.I. Jew) but he decided not to.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Nicknames? - 01/12/07 02:04 PM

When I was extremely young I was called Pumpkin because I was a chubby baby. My father used to call me Scabs as I was always injured and had cuts and scrapes and stitches ... and nothing has changed. A friend who I joined TKD with (who quit at white belt) called me and still does Band-Aid Boy (same reason). During my junior/high school football days I was called CO as I was usually a captain and also because something to do with my last name and it always being mis-spelled. My wife likes to call be Darebear. When I first joined TKD we did some grappling but not to as much as we do now. We had brought in a Roman Greco coach and I manhandled quite a few people and my Instructor nicknamed me The Bull at that time. All in fun.

Re: Nicknames? - 01/12/07 02:38 PM

If I wasn't nicknamed The Tiger I'd probably be The Bear. That's the next best nickname for me but I like The Tiger, I think I'll keep it.

Re: Nicknames? - 01/12/07 02:45 PM

'Zombie' is a nickname I got while I was in the service. If you'd ever seen me after a night of partying, but before coffee and shower, you'd understand.

When I started playing online games, I tried using 'Zombie' as my screen name, but it was always taken. It always suggested adding a number, but I didn't want to be 'Zombie68375' so I figured, if it's going to be a number, then why not Zero?

Hence, Zombie Zero.
or Zom, Double-Z, Zed...

Re: Nicknames? - 01/12/07 02:52 PM

Pretty cool Zombie. What service? Do people still call you that?

Re: Nicknames? - 01/12/07 03:01 PM

US Navy, 4 1/2 years.

No one really calls me Zombie in day-to-day conversation anymore, it's mainly my on-line persona now.

Re: Nicknames? - 01/12/07 11:08 PM

Sweet, what was your job?
Posted by: steelwater

Re: Nicknames? - 01/17/07 01:46 PM

Sledgehammer, for my vicious ridgehand strike.

Re: Nicknames? - 01/17/07 01:51 PM

Quote:

Sweet, what was your job?

Computer support, just like now.
Which means, most places I go, my name is "The Computer Guy"
Posted by: Zanaffar

Re: Nicknames? - 01/17/07 07:41 PM

The Iron Curtain. I received the nickname after having my sparring partner break his wrist against my face by means of a mean hook. On the way back from that sparring session I was hit by a passing car (and subsequently made a full roll over the body of the car, unintentionally) that apparently just didn't see that I was crossing the street. I ended the night with absolutely no injuries. The aforementioned story and the fact that I was born and bred in the former Soviet Union is the reason some of my buddies call me the Iron Curtain.
Posted by: DaDoN_1

Re: Nicknames? - 01/17/07 10:31 PM

They call me "twinkle toes" yes yes...I know how gay it sounds. Got it because I'm really fast with my feet.
Posted by: Dobbersky

Re: Nicknames? - 01/18/07 08:30 AM

Mines been Dobbersky for a while, as in Dobber (Petname for horses) but I think its cause I look like one not hung like one!!!!!

Re: Nicknames? - 01/18/07 01:24 PM

Zombie is a computer nerd !
Posted by: Steel91

Re: Nicknames? - 02/09/07 09:52 PM

Mine is Steel (haha bet you could've never guessed that) basically beacause we had a guest instructor one time and we got along great and stil try to keep in touch every now and then, and he was just impressed with my natural tolerance for pain so he just called me Steel and it stuck.

Re: Nicknames? - 02/09/07 11:43 PM

Quote:

Zombie is a computer nerd !

You're damned skippy, hippy!

Re: Nicknames? - 02/10/07 12:18 PM

Hippi?! No way! A future Infantry Marine cant be a hippi! Never!!!!!
Posted by: Dauragon c mikado

Re: Nicknames? - 02/10/07 03:27 PM

Ugh...This crap really annoys me, I started a thread With the exact same purpous as this but it got locked within a few hours.

Lousy double standard Mods!

My following nicknames are obvious if you've seen my pictures

-Ginga Ninja
-Rusty (nail, bolthead)
-The Nail that wouldn't rust (my teacher calls me this after Steve Morris' Nickname 'The nail that wouldn't budge' or somthing, Makes me laugh every time)
-Hobnob
-F*kin Ginga tw*t
-etc

dcm
Posted by: Tashigae

Re: Nicknames? - 02/10/07 09:54 PM

My chinese students usually call me either "Shi Ronglang", a translation of the etymological meaning of my name, or, more often, "Huodoufu" (knead doufu), out of phonetic resemblance with my French forename (love that one ). A less funny but hopefully righter alternative is "Wudaofu" (man of the martial way). In my former jujutsu dojo, they used to call me "Mister Bendy", because I had a very high resistance to locks due to good flexibility and pain tolerance.

Some people sometimes call me "Table Bin" because I will generally eat anything the others havn't, and a meal I take part in usually involves no leftover. Others call me "Walking Stomach" for pretty much the same reason, my ability to absorb amazing amounts of food (and yet I weigh only 65 Kg and look like a concentration camp survivor: go figure out...)

Other nicknames throughout my life included "Cabbage Leaves" (just like Oldman, my taste for beer turned out against me on that day when God was handing out physical attributes to his creatures. Those ancient enough to have attended his mythical hoodat-youdat will know what I'm talking about ), "Mr.Spock", "Ben Laden" or "The Terrorist" (because of my black beard), "The Lemming" (some people find the way I cross streets suicidal), "The Flying Frenchman"...

Plus the usual stupid ones you get just for being a martial arts practitioner, like "The Ninja", "The Samurai", "Bruce Lee", etc...
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: Nicknames? - 02/10/07 10:23 PM

Obviously 'Wen Wu Shuang Quan' is given by yourself to yourself

Re: Nicknames? - 02/10/07 11:58 PM

Sorry if there's a misunderstanding: "Wen wu shuang quan" is no nickname nor pseudonym or persona. As you must know, it's a proverb: like yourself and many other members, I use a motto I like as my signature. Maybe I should insert "Tashigae" between my posts and the saying, just to avoid any mistake...

Re: Nicknames? - 02/11/07 12:28 AM

Hahaha!

Caught!

'Wen Wu Shuang Quan' . . Tough guy, eh?

-Taison out

Re: Nicknames? - 02/11/07 01:05 AM

A tough guy? ME? You gotta be kiddin'!

May I remind you that
Quote:

I weigh only 65 Kg and look like a concentration camp survivor...

(By the way, "Wen wu shuang quan" is what the calligraphy on my school's uniform says.)
Posted by: Katana83

Re: Nicknames? - 02/11/07 01:32 AM

Nicknames?

- Dork (my first name is Derrick and I am a bookworm)
- Derr-rock (one of my classmates said that I rock and it just kind of stuck)
- ShyGuy (I don't say much, not even in class)
- Foreign Exchange Pimp (I used to get cozy with the female japanese students that would come over, I am not even close to being a pimp, but my friends called me this and they were goons )
- Musclehead (A throwback from my younger years, my growth spirt came early)

Re: Nicknames? - 02/11/07 02:32 AM

Quote:

Hahaha!

Caught!

'Wen Wu Shuang Quan' . . Tough guy, eh?

Just for the benefit of others who may not get it, it means:-

Wen = literacy / book-learning / scholastic aptitude, abilities;

Wu = martial / martial ability;

Shuang = twinning / both / a pair of / equally in amount;

Quan = having it all / complete.

So Tashigae's signature means -- 'Having (in equal measure) both scholastic & martial abilities'

-- in other words, a VTG

Re: Nicknames? - 02/11/07 03:14 AM

Oh, if you meant a VIRTUAL tough guy, that's a completely different story!

Yeah, that's definitely what I am...
Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Re: Nicknames? - 02/11/07 03:36 AM

Only nickname I get on occasion is Dannyboy. My real name being Danny.

Anyone know the origin of that nickname?

Re: Nicknames? - 02/11/07 04:51 AM

Tough guy

-Taison out

Re: Nicknames? - 02/11/07 05:54 AM

DannyBoy? -- something to do with pipes, glens and mountain sides? Sorry no Scots / Irish jokes allowed.

I don't know, but I read somewhere that names with "Fitz..." as in Fitzpatrick were originally sons of bachelors.

Re: Nicknames? - 02/11/07 09:23 AM

Quote:

Only nickname I get on occasion is Dannyboy. My real name being Danny.

Anyone know the origin of that nickname?

Oh Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling
From glen to glen, and down the mountain side
The summer's gone, and all the flowers are dying
'Tis you, 'tis you must go and I must bide.
But come ye back when summer's in the meadow
Or when the valley's hushed and white with snow
'Tis I'll be here in sunshine or in shadow
Oh Danny boy, oh Danny boy, I love you so.

And if you come, when all the flowers are dying
And I am dead, as dead I well may be
You'll come and find the place where I am lying
And kneel and say an "Ave" there for me.

And I shall hear, tho' soft you tread above me
And all my dreams will warm and sweeter be
If you'll not fail to tell me that you love me
I'll simply sleep in peace until you come to me.

I'll simply sleep in peace until you come to me.

It's an Irish song.

Casey

Re: Nicknames? - 02/11/07 09:45 AM

From 'glen to glen' and calling 'pipes' an Irish song?

Re: Nicknames? - 02/11/07 10:00 AM

I found the lyrics on an Irish website so it leads to the conclusion that it is an Irish song.

Casey

Re: Nicknames? - 02/12/07 05:52 AM

Quote:

I found the lyrics on an Irish website...

...that figures....
Posted by: Vennificus

Re: Nicknames? - 01/31/08 08:34 AM

they call me scuba...although I'm not sure why
Posted by: WhiteDragon11

Re: Nicknames? - 01/31/08 04:45 PM

They call me Tater Salad
Posted by: Neko456

Re: Nicknames? - 01/31/08 05:21 PM

I like Neko or the CAT as a teenager I liked Yamaguchi and the big 200lb Frenchmen or Dutchmen (been 20 yrs I forgot) Karateka labeled the Cat.

One of my Sensei use to call me Fancy Dancer, he thought my h2h and nunchuka techniques were pretty but not powerful enough.

He just liked vicious techniques, sometimes form = power. He had good form but his face would be all twisted up like he was trying kill something. Show Intent he would say.
Posted by: JoshuaMonjin

Re: Nicknames? - 01/31/08 05:31 PM

I don't have a nickname. Don't really care for them myself and no has even tried to give me one. Does that mean I don't come across as unique? Or maybe more like a hidden and stealthy characteristics.

Re: Nicknames? - 01/31/08 06:31 PM

Quote:

They call me Tater Salad

Ron tater salad White?

and josh...using your real name is NOT stealthy
Posted by: JoshuaMonjin

Re: Nicknames? - 01/31/08 07:32 PM

"Joshua" please.
Quote:

using your real name is NOT stealthy

Perhaps not but it is only my first name and I don't give out much beyond that. I was thinking more along the lines of no nickname because, I am too stealthy to give people something to remark on.
Posted by: TKD_X

Re: Nicknames? - 02/04/08 04:20 PM

now i wish i had a nickname. maybe they'll call me "loseweightbeforeattempt540"
Posted by: General_Neo

Re: Nicknames? - 02/04/08 04:49 PM

Neo..
lol
Posted by: TKD-Skippi

Re: Nicknames? - 02/04/08 06:23 PM

I have had load sof nicknames.chavs, goth kids, skaters etc all had diferent names for me...i would say i was like God in that respect but thats sacreligious. Skippi was the most comon name and there is a realy stupid story behind it too.

Re: Nicknames? - 02/04/08 06:31 PM

josh, ahhh the "look unimportant, they may be low on ammo" style
Posted by: matchhead_jack

Re: Nicknames? - 02/05/08 05:33 PM

Here's my list. 1992 we're at Golden Bell, Colorado training for a week with Grandmaster Kise Fusei. Chewing on the same food everyday was getting a little bland. I joked, "I'm sneaking off the mountain for some McDonalds," I was branded Sensei Happy Meal the rest of the camp.

My nicknames for folks at the dojo include: Private Pyle (Full Metal Jacket), the Old Grey Mare, Supremo Emo, No Neck and Light Brown.
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: Nicknames? - 02/06/08 08:47 AM

Biscuit, Grog, Grasshopper, Kwan, FP, and Razor of course. The stories are varied and cover more than three decades so I won't trouble you with too much detail.

Biscuit was a gift from my brother referring to the back of my head after a very short hair cut one time. He said the back of my head looked like... you guessed it.

Grog was back in the Tim Allen days when every guy was grunting like a caveman. A couple of friends and I were all given cavemen names. Don't know why. I was a sensitive, understanding, feeling kind of guy back then...yea, well, kind of, lol.

Grasshopper, Kwan, and Razor(foot) are all MA related from people I trained with or who knew I trained.

And my personal favorite, FP, came from some one near and dear to my heart who still calls me that to this day but only when I get a bit too sarcastic, lol.
Posted by: BodhiHuss

Re: Nicknames? - 02/06/08 02:22 PM

I occasionally train with an attorney friend of mine--I call him "Sosumi Sensei".