Be honest

Posted by: Shorinjiryumike

Be honest - 01/10/07 03:51 PM

How many people on this forum devote more time to it, then to their actual training?

Respectfully
Posted by: Tom2199

Re: Be honest - 01/10/07 04:51 PM

devote more time to what?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Be honest - 01/10/07 05:03 PM

I can not tell a lie. I spend one hour a week in my BJJ class. Although I do spend some time doing bag work, too. But I'm on the forum way more than I actually train.
Posted by: cxt

Re: Be honest - 01/10/07 06:54 PM

I'm only on when I should be working
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Be honest - 01/10/07 08:26 PM

Yeah, I'm on here way more than I train. Nothing wrong with that I reckon. I learned more here about the wider world of MA than I could have learned in a hundred lessons in any single MA. Sure, I don't learn MA from this forum but I do learn about MA here.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Be honest - 01/11/07 09:25 AM

Time here doesn't detract from time training. Locked to a keyboard and screen for 8 hours/day....the forum is in the background. The way I look at it, the background 'noise', or chatter, of folks interested in MA makes my workday go by faster.

I don't consider 'forum time' related to training at all. Once I 'unplug' from here, it's on to the rest of life's chores but always in the back of my mind I'm mulling over some aspect of MA. Still...it isn't training. (Unless...one considers the act of staying mentally focused on MA a type of training.)

When I have the personal time to do what I want...I fit in some exercise here and there, or work on katas, or do drills. But I still don't consider that 'training'.

I don't lie to myself....'training' time is physical work done in the dojo and in the company of others. Everything else is an opportunity to prepare for training.

My actual training time is limited to 4 dojo hours a week. However, I'm more fortunate than others. That 4 hours is basically one-to-one with a teacher, and very directed learning.

Quote:

How many people on this forum devote more time to it, then to their actual training?

Posted by: Ronin1966

Be honest - 01/11/07 09:35 AM

Hello Shorinjimike:

Here, we get to hone our ideas through discussions, debate and the occasional argument. By offering our views, engaging we are better able to present them.

We encounter others with different views, experiences, and though perhaps never meet them in person, you get a small glimpse of their perspectives, views. Through that, I hope I learn more clarity of my views.... (half baked though they often are...) or at least how to presentthem more effectively.

The forum is very much training, how to present concepts, ideas clearly IMHO... more here than physical training not likely.

Jeff

Re: Be honest - 01/11/07 10:10 AM

Jeff,

With all due respect I would rather hone my physical skills then my linguistic ones, much preferring to throw fifty twist punches then talk about how to train to throw fifty twist punches.

Talking about training, is not a substitute for training. As far as learning from the forum...exchanging ideology....and the value of that, well that's a different topic.

Just for the record Jeff, you didn't answer the question.

Respectfully

Re: Be honest - 01/11/07 10:15 AM

Harlan, well said. However

I must take issue with the statement that "time here does not detract from training time." In my opinion this is only valid if you only use the forum while you are already doing something that keeps you from training.

Spending time doing something means you do not have that time to spend doing something else.

Respectfully

Re: Be honest - 01/11/07 10:20 AM

Respectfully, one must pay the bills.

Oh...and there is a little thing called 'life'. I'm really training in that.

Re: Be honest - 01/11/07 10:20 AM

I honestly think that before I joined this forum I was wasting a lot of my time in my training by training inefficiently. Sometimes less is more.

Re: Be honest - 01/11/07 10:25 AM

Leo,

You were able to learn to train efficiently throught the forum? Wow that's pretty cool. How ?

Re: Be honest - 01/11/07 10:27 AM

Harlan,
Yes one must pay bills and yes there is a little thing called life...whats your point?

I understood that in your post you stated that you only have the forum on when you are at work, therefore it doesn't interfere with your training.

Re: Be honest - 01/11/07 10:33 AM

Well, unless I misunderstood (a chronic issue of mine )...it seems that you are stating that if one is here one is not training.... when one could be training. Most folks are here because of a lack of choice in that matter.

If I didn't have to work, if I didn't have kids, if I didn't have a good movie I wanted to see, etc....I would be training. Training is just one part of life...not a priority.

Re: Be honest - 01/11/07 10:37 AM

Quote:

Leo,

You were able to learn to train efficiently throught the forum? Wow that's pretty cool. How ?

Well, basically, I would find out hints from people which my instructor didn't give me. For example, there would be advice about certain things which is phrased differently which helped me overcome my problems easily.

Also, there are lots of resources on how to strengthen yourself, improve your endurance and improve your flexibility which helps to learn techniques easier and faster.

Sure, it's no replacement for proper training but knowledge like that can help you improve more quickly.

Better to benefit from other peoples' experience than be ignorant about the wider world.

Re: Be honest - 01/11/07 10:41 AM

Yes Harlan that is exactly what I am saying.

There are many types of things one can do while viewing the forum

When I peruse the forum, which is rare, I try to do dynamic stretches or squats or something while I am reading.

I would hate to think that young or aspiring Martial Artists would ever get the idea that typing and reading is synonymous with training.

Just finished my second set of 25 squats

Re: Be honest - 01/11/07 10:42 AM

Just curious, have you heard of the concept of overtraining?

Re: Be honest - 01/11/07 10:46 AM

Leo,

Over training? do you mean to the point of injury?
How do you over train? is that like overstudying for an exam. "Darn I studied so much for this exam and knew all the material" so I got an A.

P.S In my opinion there are no shortcuts. Only hard work and dedication and determination make things easier.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Be honest - 01/11/07 10:55 AM

Mike -

I'm not sure I get your point at all. If you don't like the forum, why are you here? Most folks are here because they cannot be training for one reason or another. I am also at work for 9 hours a day.

Re: Be honest - 01/11/07 11:16 AM

Quote:

Over training?

No, don't worry, I was just curious whether you were aware of the advantages of adequate rest when mental and physical development is concerned. No worries, I'm not saying you should train any less than you do.

Re: Be honest - 01/11/07 11:42 AM

Matt, Fair questions

I am on the forum because I find it entertaining.

"Most folks are here because they cannot train for one reason or another"

My point is that there is always time to train.

There are only two reasons to not train. Medical and Choice. I am 38, work in home renovations, have two kids, have a life etc. I still make the time to train.
I want to hit my 40's in great shape. I eat better, sleep better, and have more directed execise then I ever have and I feel better for it.
People choose to train or not to train! If life is so hectic that you choose not to train that is one thing. But see it for what it is. Your choice. Nothing more nothing less.
I know not everyone is like minded, but wouldn't we all be better off we put our key boards and other distrations away a little more often Trained a little more not a little less.

Respectfully

Re: Be honest - 01/11/07 11:45 AM

Leo,

Lol yes I am aware of the need for adequate rest, as well as sleep and diet etc. Thank you for your concern though.

Re: Be honest - 01/11/07 11:49 AM

Leo, your right the Forum can sometimes be a pretty decent reference guide. But as you said is no substitue for training.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Be honest - 01/11/07 12:05 PM

I guessed that the presumption was that most here are internet MA-ists because they spend more time typing than training.

Well, those who "have a life" objected to this presumption. But keep in mind...between Medical & Choice, there are many shades of grey because light midical problems stop some but don't deter others. Some choices do involve others beyond yourself.

MA can be many things to many people. My only issue is (& has always been), call what you do by it's proper descriptor:
a hobby/activity, mental/spiritual growth, sport/competition, exercise/fitness, skills for life-or-death encounters, business, performance/acting, improving SD skills...you get my drift.

So for all the hard-core MA-ists out there, there may come a time when other things become priority (I know it's hard to concieve). Don't demean those who aren't up to your level of commitment. To the performers & actors, don't delude yourselves into believing that life is a video game. To everybody in between, just do your best.

This forum is a good thing when not training (I won't do squats here in my office) because it stimulates ideas that can influence how you train.

owari

Re: Be honest - 01/11/07 12:06 PM

Matt did you get my reply?

Re: Be honest - 01/11/07 12:20 PM

Just being the Devil's Advocate here: what is your definition of 'hard-core'? And what is a 'martial artist'?

Quote:

So for all the hard-core MA-ists out there

Re: Be honest - 01/11/07 12:23 PM

Hekikr

Well said,
There was no assumption that all MA's here are keyboard Ninjas. I was just curious.
Choice however is always choice regardless of what colour it is. If my wife wants to go out and I want to train I might very well make the choice that her happiness at that moment is more important then my training. But I make the choice not her. Luckily my wife enjoys training more then I do so I would never have that problem.
Your right ...There MAY indeed come a time when I CHOOSE that other things are more important to me and train less.
All I am saying is we should try to inspire each other to choose to train as hard as we can, as often as we can, whenever we can.
Choose to Train say NO to excuses. This had nothing to do with age or experience or style or direction.
I don't understand the idea that the Forum is a good thing when your not training. Doesn't that infer that it is a bad thing when training?

We live in a complacent, lazy, inactive, society. Whats the obecity rate in the States these days? Or the U.K for that matter.

Repectfully

Re: Be honest - 01/11/07 12:56 PM

Quote:

We live in a complacent, lazy, inactive, society. Whats the obecity rate in the States these days? Or the U.K for that matter.

This is another topic altogether. If people simply ate sensibly, exercised for an hour a week, used the stairs and walked short distances daily, obesity rates would be significantly lower. I don't think that is even conviction or dedication, it's so easy to exercise and eat well.

Training regularly is very important indeed, however, having an opportunity to reflect upon your experiences and free your mind of clutter is important for progress in MA too.

Re: Be honest - 01/11/07 01:01 PM

Amen to that Leo
Posted by: trevek

Re: Be honest - 01/12/07 05:50 AM

Errrm... I consider my hours spent on the forum as part of my intellectual MA training
Posted by: jonwade

Re: Be honest - 01/12/07 05:56 AM

Recently I have probably spent more time on forums in general, not just this one, than in class. But I have an excuse as i got injured.
Posted by: jonnyboxcutter

Re: Be honest - 01/12/07 12:07 PM

Quote:

in the back of my mind I'm mulling over some aspect of MA. Still...it isn't training. (Unless...one considers the act of staying mentally focused on MA a type of training.)

Harlan, if I understand your MA preferences (forms specifically) I would say staying mentally focused could be considered training. Heck I can remember waking up in the middle of the night with an idea about a form and later applying it. But I could be a bit strange as I seem to find Martial application everywhere I look.

-JBC-

Re: Be honest - 01/12/07 12:08 PM

Quote:

I would rather hone my physical skills then my linguistic ones

You must not teach too many people… I have found that this forum helps me hone my ability to teach my students. You can have all the physical you want just cuz you can do does not mean you can convey an idea.

-JBC-
Posted by: BulldogTKD

Re: Be honest - 01/12/07 02:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I would rather hone my physical skills then my linguistic ones

You must not teach too many people… I have found that this forum helps me hone my ability to teach my students. You can have all the physical you want just cuz you can do does not mean you can convey an idea.

-JBC-

If you read some of the previous posts you should have a good idea that many on this forum don't practice much or teach much so ask your self how much are you realy learning.

To answer the question, I was working out five days a week and teaching three days a week until a shoulder injury laied me up just before the holidays. Now I only teach but I will kick it up again when I can get fixed.

Re: Be honest - 01/12/07 02:16 PM

Respectfully, I think a lot of people who train every day, aren't really learning. Drilling, practicing...honing technique, building strength or simply trying to maintain a level of performance...yes. But learning?

Re: Be honest - 01/12/07 02:52 PM

Quote:

so ask your self how much are you realy learning

More than you may realize…
Quote:

But I could be a bit strange as I seem to find Martial application everywhere I look.

I find that just day-to-day human interaction helps my MA. I have taken to bouncing ideas off people who don’t train just to see if they are an effective way of explaining complex ideas. Heck, my MA improved DRASTICALY after I stopped training and started working in clubs and other jobs that had ZERO MA application.

-JBC-

Re: Be honest - 01/12/07 02:56 PM

Quote:

Respectfully, I think a lot of people who train every day, aren't really learning. Drilling, practicing...honing technique, building strength or simply trying to maintain a level of performance...yes. But learning?

I believe this is the difference in practicing vs studying MA.

-JBC-
Posted by: BulldogTKD

Re: Be honest - 01/12/07 03:42 PM

Quote:

Agreed. That is if one trains with no expectation of learning or becoming enlightened. Example: I was practicing a form, patern, kata what ever you call your form, pattern, kata and I was working on a turn that I am always of ballance on. I kept doing that line over and over and over. Finaly I stoped for a bit sat down to strech and asked myself, why is this turn so difficult for me. Well to make a long story short I figured it out and I have improved on many more of my techniques. I learned, I evolved!

Re: Be honest - 01/12/07 03:53 PM

I learn best when there are no expectations.

Quote:

Agreed. That is if one trains with no expectation of learning or becoming enlightened.

Re: Be honest - 01/12/07 06:07 PM

Hello Shorinjimike:

<<I would rather hone my physical skills then my linguistic ones

Explain the idea well and you know what you are attempting long after we part company. The two are not mutually exclusive. Both must exist together...

And empty mindless rote is not intelligent training necessarily either ?

<<Just for the record Jeff...

Let me try again, more carefully choosen words. Far more physically away from the net, clear enough?

Respectfully
Jeff

Re: Be honest - 01/12/07 07:59 PM

Hello JBC:

Happy New Year! We have not crossed paths of late....

<<just cuz you can do does not mean you can convey an idea.

Nor does it necessarily mean, I am "doing it" the most effective/efficent way it might be done. Given a different concept-perspective, perhaps a more efficent method is attained...

Jeff (hitting the speed bag litely between typing...)
Posted by: Mr_Heretik

Re: Be honest - 01/12/07 08:04 PM

I'm on the forum far more than I am actually training.

Re: Be honest - 01/12/07 08:32 PM

Ronin, hope you had a good holiday, I got to spend mine with my Kids.

Your above post, not too sure where you're going with it, please go into more detail.

But, in case you misunderstood me.
I was simply saying that in some instances it is as important to be able to explain a technique, as it is to be able to perform the technique. There are a lot of things that I can do, but can’t necessarily explain how to do. As an example, I am currently dealing with some students that seriously need to relax. I have no problem with it but I can’t seem to explain it so it makes sense to the students. So, on this forum I can ask “how would you teach XYZ?” and typically get a good answer. Even if it is not what I would do or how I would handle it, it often gives me ideas or starts me on a path that helps to find the answer that I am looking for. As I said in my earlier post, I will often take those ideas and ask people that don’t train, if they “get it” then I know I am getting close to a good way to explain “XYZ” to my students.

It was just a different way of saying
Quote:

Explain the idea well and you know what you are attempting long after we part company.

-JBC-