Training clip

Posted by: jamesd

Training clip - 12/31/06 02:55 PM

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I'd share our first attempt at editing some video clips, any comments or feedback would be grateful, URL select clip one and it will open in windows media player, cheers,

James.
Posted by: Raul Perez

Re: Training clip - 12/31/06 03:33 PM

Hi James,

Looks good. Love hitting the heavy bag! You using a 100 lbs bag?

Arent you and Gavin training partners? I was wondering why I didnt see any clips of him on your video page but a pic of him on your home page.

Did you split or just create your own school?

Re: Training clip - 12/31/06 03:55 PM

Hi Raul,

Thanks for your comments, Gavin and I are working on seperate stuff at the moment but we're still buddy's! Not sure how heavy my bag is but at a guess maybe 30-35kg, I love hitting the bag too its great especially if you're training on your own, anyway, Happy New Year!

James.
Posted by: Eveal

Re: Training clip - 01/02/07 11:30 AM

Very nice training. I really like the continuous knife attack drills that yall were doing. Padwork needs alittle more work you were dropping your hands a bit with your straight blast or 1 - 2 blast whatever you call it. Bagwork was great too I enjoyed the headbutts. Only thing its to practice your distance and hit the bag with full punches and not so close and the kicks were were not very influential to me. Great work and I love watching training so keep it up!

Brandon
Posted by: ashe_higgs

Re: Training clip - 01/09/07 07:48 PM

man,

there's a lot of nice stuff going on here. what's your system / background? jkd, kenpo?

anyway, why the hell are you training in a broom closet?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Training clip - 01/10/07 12:41 PM

Hey James, thanks very much for putting those up for us! I enjoyed watching them. I liked the bag "ground work" drills you were doing. I never thought to use the bag like that.

Nice kicks, as well.

Re: Training clip - 01/11/07 06:30 AM

Hi Guys,

I'm glad you enjoyed the clips and thanks for the kind words, I practice a martial art called gosokempo, my Instructor is John King, who happens to be (moderator Gavin's) Dad, All this website stuff is new to me but I hope to be putting regular clips on my site so please feel free to visit, I filmed the video's in my garage and the space is quite tight but it does the job! Anyway, kindest regards,

James.
Posted by: JRol

Re: Training clip - 01/11/07 08:10 AM

I thought the clip was pathetic, the best thing about it was that it was put together well, but the training was sub-par. The style didn't look like anything, there was no structure and in no way did it resemble an art; which in essence is what "martial ARTS" is. The knife techniques were my favourite. Sure they work in theory with some idiot who blindly stabs at you when he can't even reach your body. Any person who actually uses a knife properly would know, that sophisticated slashing at vital arteries, like in the inside of each leg or other sensitive body parts is how you fight with a knife. Sorry, but the only way that stuff would work is in a controlled environment, hey like your garage! Good luck to you if you ever get stopped by a desperate crim...
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Training clip - 01/11/07 08:52 AM

Welcome to the forum, JRol. May I ask your training experience?

Would you like to share a video of your training and bagwork?

PS-Play nice.
Posted by: Dauragon c mikado

Re: Training clip - 01/11/07 09:55 AM

Its seems we've either got a good no nonsense martial artist or another version of crab who actually trains.

Re: Training clip - 01/11/07 11:23 AM

JRol -

I eagerly await your most awesome video that will be clearly and unquestionably better than what James put up. Please show us.

Please.
Posted by: Gavin

Re: Training clip - 01/11/07 11:44 AM

Let's see James has 10 years experience on the frontline as a Doorman and Prison Officer. What have you done? Where do you live? If southern England care to come and play with us????

Fool!
Posted by: grumbleweed

Re: Training clip - 01/11/07 11:57 AM

My mate lived right opposite Island Gym (I think thats the name) in Canvey Island, he thought they did some form of martial arts there. Back then the only exercise we took was walking up Southend Pier and quenching our thirst and supping ale

Re: Training clip - 01/11/07 11:59 AM

I think Steve Knight still trains on Canvey. Heard some good things about him.

Re: Training clip - 01/12/07 02:51 AM

I don't film myself training because I think it's a waste of time, unless you are using the film to study your technique. I didn't come here to debate anyones' experience because I'm sure this guy is very experienced, I just don't like the idea of this being likened to karate, because that's not what it is. The dude punching the heavy bag would probably make a good boxer, but the other stuff was terrible. Martial arts is becomming bastardised, and I could sit here and type all day but you won't stop training the same stupid [censored].

I'm from Australia for the second guy who wrote something, and if you really are serious I'd love to take you to a class to learn some good quality martial arts. The guys who write here just sound like a bunch of mates anyway, so why would they support anything I said. If you think those knife techniques would work then don't even bother writing back... The only logical way to take someone with a knife down is to kick them so hard and fast in the balls it makes their head spin. I don't want to bad mouth you guys, all I'm saying is there is alot of good stuff out there, and if the guys in the video are dedicated and practice a crap fighting style, imagine how good they'd be if they practiced a good one.

Re: Training clip - 01/12/07 04:15 AM

Again I ask if you're not here to debate anyones experience then atleast share you'e own experience. Myself and James have both undergone training under the same people. Both of us have dealt with live weapons both in the course of training, in real situations on at work and James has also dealt with them in a very serious situation. Again I ask what have you done with your training to qualify you're opinion that his training was pathetic?

Very few people on this forum know James personally, I've had the pleasure for many years. However James has been posting training clips and informative posts to help people on this forum for quite some time. That is why the others defended him. Your first post completely disrespected a fellow martial artists. We know nothing of your professional or martial experience yet in your first post on our forum you show a total lack of respect (and in my opinion a total lack of martial knowledge). I suspect you're just another Internet Warrior choosing his targets carefully from the other side of the world!

Re: Training clip - 01/12/07 04:41 AM

Hi Jrol,

My video's were described as training clips and that is all they are, I never advertised them as karate or anything else in particular so I don't understand why you're upset that I'm bastardising anything, If you read the information written on my home page you'll see that the website was set up to showcase the combat side to our system, by showing these clips I'm demonstrating just a small area of my own personal training, hopefully in time as the website grows I'll be able demonstrate a much broader spectrum. When you saw the knife drills all that was demonstrated was an excersise of overkill, we use these as a way and means of learning body evasion, kicking someone in the balls is great but not if you've been stabbed in the gut first!!!!! Have you ever been attacked by someone with a knife??........... Well I have and I'm still here to tell the tale so I must be doing something right! If you want to see me performing what you call an 'art' then you could have looked at the video clip where I was performing one of our kata's called 'gohan' its on the training clip page, or look at our other sites www.gosokempo.com or Gavin's site www.combatarena.co.uk, Please have another look, see what we're about and get back to us, regards,

James
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Training clip - 01/12/07 06:41 AM

Quote:

I didn't come here to debate anyones' experience because I'm sure this guy is very experienced, I just don't like the idea of this being likened to karate, because that's not what it is. The dude punching the heavy bag would probably make a good boxer, but the other stuff was terrible.

You clearly haven't seen Kyokushin Karate or any full contact Karate tournaments. Karate starts to look a lot less crisp when there's someone trying to knock you out. Heavy bag training is good for training for full contact because it mimics the uncontrolled environment and contact levels required.
Posted by: Raul Perez

Re: Training clip - 01/12/07 10:52 AM

Hey JRol,

welcome to the forums. Which martial art do you study? How long? Is there a website I can visit?

As far as the videos... It is a way to show others on the forum how he trains, some of his techniques etc. Others show their fights either wins or losses (like myself).

it is just a medium for communication like the forum is. It's ok to give some constructive criticism but when you are blantantly rude the others will come down on you to put up your own video so they can see if what you do is INDEED better.

Re: Training clip - 01/12/07 10:56 AM

JRol -

Quote:

I didn't come here to debate anyones' experience because I'm sure this guy is very experienced, I just don't like the idea of this being likened to karate, because that's not what it is.

Hopefully your attention to your martial arts is better than you attention to reading. James NEVER said what he was doing was karate, so why are you making that assumption?

Quote:

The dude punching the heavy bag would probably make a good boxer, but the other stuff was terrible. Martial arts is becomming bastardised, and I could sit here and type all day but you won't stop training the same stupid [censored].

What EXACTLY was terrible about it? Looked like the kicks were hard and fast to me, with good flex. Again, why don't you show us how much better it could be? Or are you just another VTG?

Quote:

The only logical way to take someone with a knife down is to kick them so hard and fast in the balls it makes their head spin. I don't want to bad mouth you guys, all I'm saying is there is alot of good stuff out there, and if the guys in the video are dedicated and practice a crap fighting style, imagine how good they'd be if they practiced a good one.

I seriously doubt you have any good martial arts experience. You are going to try to kick someone with a knife? Have you ever even done any knife sparring?

I would love to see what you think is GOOD martial arts.
Posted by: Saisho

Re: Training clip - 01/12/07 04:13 PM

Quote:

The only logical way to take someone with a knife down is to kick them so hard and fast in the balls it makes their head spin.

Exactly what a person trained in Kali wants you to try to do. Pull back a bloody stump you will. You will at least have some cuts that make it hard to stand and fight.

Ever seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail?

Re: Training clip - 01/21/07 07:55 AM

To the guys who responded to my post in a serious manner, my response is on the forum "the consolidated poll thread"...

Thanks,

JRol