Acknowledging BB's from other system

Posted by: harlan

Acknowledging BB's from other system - 12/13/06 09:15 AM

So much talk about belts....;)

Question for those who have schools, or teach: how do you deal with new students who come with advanced training. For example, a new student who has a BB in another system (may be you teach Shotokan, and he ranked in Goju) starts training, and obviously has the skills and knowledge that you would consider comensurate with a BB in your style.

How long before you either acknowledge that belt in your system...or before you make them test for it?
Posted by: crablord

Re: Acknowledging BB's from other system - 12/13/06 09:20 AM

logical thing in my (valued ) opinion to do would be to put them in the class appropriate to their skill level, eg advanced.. but put them through the belts normally. So they may be a white belt training with the brown and blacks.

Re: Acknowledging BB's from other system - 12/13/06 09:23 AM

Yes, humility assumed, a new student would train with his/her peers with no rank until acknowledged. But how long would that period be...and would they simply be 'acknowledged'...or have to test to earn it in the particular system. (This latter option, BTW, smacks to me of simply getting $$$.)

Also, it isn't just skills and ability but the style has forms that must be learned as well. Some 'Grand Poobah' in another style can come into a school...but if they don't know the forms of a green belt then they can't teach these...so logically can't be ranked in a system until they do.
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: Acknowledging BB's from other system - 12/13/06 09:25 AM

Personally, I'd have him wear his obi in the class and stand with the other dans (and have done this). And I'd try to fast-track him in the katas to catch him up, because if he wanted to advance in Isshinryu he'd have to be proficient in our curriculum. No way I'd dishonor him with not acknowledging his rank.
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: Acknowledging BB's from other system - 12/13/06 09:28 AM

I'll co-sign what Ironfoot said.
Posted by: tkd_high_green

Re: Acknowledging BB's from other system - 12/13/06 09:44 AM

I haven't seen anyone from another art join our school, but we have had several students who joined from other TKD Schools, or who perhaps trained as a child and stopped training for one reason or another and decided to start up again. These students will start at whatever their current rank was, but will stay there until they learn or relearn the curriculum and are ready to move on.

Laura

Re: Acknowledging BB's from other system - 12/13/06 09:54 AM

Lower belts is one thing, upper belts...I think that there is a little more involved.

For one thing...someone can say whatever rank they want...but it's really the skills/performance/attitude that is being assessed by a group/dojo/peers. 'Sure...wear your belt' is not the same as acceptance. It can be considered as partially 'dojo politics'...but is a realistic consideration that group conformity and quality control becomes more important in the higher grades.
Posted by: Blackrainbow

Re: Acknowledging BB's from other system - 12/13/06 09:59 AM

Skills, knowledge and attitude are all that matter to me. I often have guest instructors from other systems come in to teach. I have had many students of all belt ranks come to me for various reasons. As far as any advanced dan promotions, it is not an issue since we use a board to promote not one individual instructor. So a BB coming to me would have to be checked out by my seniors. I don't have the authority to grant instant dan rank. But a good BB from any legit school or system is always welcome. All are welcome in my dojo.
Posted by: ITFunity

Re: Acknowledging BB's from other system - 12/13/06 10:01 AM

Well this has more things to consider. Not only where is it fair to fit them in for the newcomer, but where would it be fair to fit the newcomer in for the other students. While a BB in another style make not know your system, they have still gained much experience & skills.
Should they go in as white belts? They are not true beginners. Should they be allowed to compete in your Art's tournaments as a white belt? Would that be fair to the other true white belt beginners?

The way we have always tried to handle it, that person can wear their belt or can start at white. However, further advancement is determined by when they learn the required syllabus. At testings, it is permissable to skip students who have previous training. We have had many trnasfer students. The ones who stick it out, are usually the ones not concerned with the rank.

You see, we have a complex syllabus, with 3,200+ fundamental movements. In addition how we move is very different from other styles. Even the terminology is so different. It is simply not enought to learn a new set of patterns. Many simply give up, or can't teach an old dog new tricks syndrome, unless they embrace the change as benefical.
Posted by: Saisho

Re: Acknowledging BB's from other system - 12/13/06 10:38 AM

If a person comes to my advanced class to train but it is understood that they are there not to advance but just visit and train, they wear their belt.

If a person wants to become a part of my style/system, I have them start at white belt and I progress them faster. It takes about 4 years (minimum) for a new person to advance to shodan. There are 9 Kyu ranks, 3 white, 3 green and 3 brown. I had a shodan from another Okinawan system start training with me and I promoted him to Shodan in 2 years instead of 4. I had him go from white to 1 green belt then to 1 brown belt. Something other than another Okinawan style might take a little longer, but would still be fast tracked (depending on skill).
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Acknowledging BB's from other system - 12/13/06 11:10 AM

In my AKK school, students from other systems always started at white belt. So much technical stuff, it's difficult to hold X rank without knowing the specifics for it. In BJJ, I *think* you can get rank by demonstrating skill to the instructor.
Posted by: crablord

Re: Acknowledging BB's from other system - 12/13/06 11:12 AM

thats why i hate ranks and belts, classes should be purely skill based
Posted by: cxt

Re: Acknowledging BB's from other system - 12/13/06 11:59 AM

Harlan

Tough question.

My own biased answer---since it can be assumed that the arts have few points in commen, what would be the point after all to study something so like your "base" art the most of it is the same?

Then for the purposes of training they start at the bottom, with the other "newbies" to the system.

For sparring and things like that--sure, they fight at their "real" level.

But for training, they work from the bottom up like everyone else.

In fact, if they are sincere about learning a "new" art or method or approach, then that is how they would demand it to be.

As an aside, I have found people with advanced rank in one system often have MORE problems with a new system than the newbies do---they ahve "un-learn" stuff and retrain the reflexs that they have spent years developing.

Often its harder for them than it is for a complete newbie.

As to how long they needed to train?

Tough to answer, if they could perform the skills at Shodan level in a year--why not allow it?

If they can't--then they can't.

So it kinda depends on them AND on what exact criteria your testing for.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Acknowledging BB's from other system - 12/13/06 02:46 PM

how about this concept: nobody cares and just gets together a few times per week and trains. if someone new shows up...they train too.

Re: Acknowledging BB's from other system - 12/13/06 02:55 PM

Not everyone is an iconoclast...like you (and me).

Re: Acknowledging BB's from other system - 12/13/06 03:15 PM

Belt rank and promotions can be a really sore subject. I "recognize" all who come to train with me who are serious about training. Suppose I get a red belt from a TKD school who comes in to train with us, likes the dojo and wants to become my student? How can I give them an outright "equivilency" promotion in my system which is Shogen Ryu? I can't do that. What I can do is fast track the student. I have done that. But I have standards to adhere to. Sensei Partlow (Saisho on the list) is our U.S. director. If I get a promising black belt from another system, I will certainly train that person. But testing and promotion would be refered up the line to my superiors. Now I have a question. Have any of your ever been promoted strictly on merit? Have you seen it done? By merit I mean this. Our system was derived from Matsubayshi Ryu. I knew Grandmaster Nagamine on a personal level. I invite you to read his book carefully. He saw every person as a unique and very special package. He was not trying to create a bunch of "mini me's". Certainly technique, good kata form and performance in the dojo counted. But honor, dedication, loyalty and public service counted huge in his eyes. I have seen a number of people who were not the sharpest knives in the drawer athleticly, get promoted just because thay tried harder and were better human beings than some of their fellows. Have I ever promoted somone who's technique was a little rough? Yes I have. I have been the benificiary of such an honor myself. Osensei himself was so promoted at one time. My students will tell you I am a bear when it comes to standards for promotion. They will also tell you I don't give a rat's patooty about belt rank in my dojo. I care about performance and attitude. I also do something rather unique for an instructor. I often ask my students to grade my performance. They do so annonomously and I press them to be brutally honest. It can be painful at times but it helps me keep my mind on why I am doing this in the first place.

Re: Acknowledging BB's from other system - 12/13/06 03:36 PM

Quote by Blackrainbow -

Quote:

I often ask my students to grade my performance. They do so annonomously and I press them to be brutally honest. It can be painful at times but it helps me keep my mind on why I am doing this in the first place.

Excellent idea. By grading you, are you referring to your physical skill, or other....?
Posted by: Xibalba

Re: Acknowledging BB's from other system - 12/13/06 04:02 PM

Quote:

Personally, I'd have him wear his obi in the class and stand with the other dans (and have done this). And I'd try to fast-track him in the katas to catch him up, because if he wanted to advance in Isshinryu he'd have to be proficient in our curriculum. No way I'd dishonor him with not acknowledging his rank.

I agree with this method. Being at a college club, we get students from all sorts of styles that train with us. If those with dan rank choose to just work out and not promote in our system, that is fine with us, but we still recognize their rank. If they want to promote with us, we expect them to meet the requirements for at least their current dan rank in our style. If they did not meet the requirements, we do not "demote" them from the dan ranks, they just do not yet earn rank with us.

I came many moons ago with a cho-dan in TKD. My first testing in PKTSD I received my yi-dan, but I was responsible for all requirements up to that rank, inclucing demonstrating proficiency with PKTSD kata and techniques at the cho-dan level.

Peace,
Mike

Re: Acknowledging BB's from other system - 12/13/06 06:19 PM

Quote:

Quote by Blackrainbow -

Quote:

I often ask my students to grade my performance. They do so annonomously and I press them to be brutally honest. It can be painful at times but it helps me keep my mind on why I am doing this in the first place.

Excellent idea. By grading you, are you referring to your physical skill, or other....?

I let them critique any aspect of my instruction they feel like addressing. I have them form a circle and watch my kata. I let the students pick the kata and then grade my performance. I do the same with basics. I ask them how they feel about training. Am I consistant? Do I present subjects in a clear and concise manner that everyone can understand? Do they feel that their time with me is well spent? I always stress that self criticism is paramont to success in the martial arts. Why should I be any different? I learned long ago that I need them as much if not more than they need me. And I have learned a lot more from my students over the past 31 years than they have learned from me. I have not always realized that fact but as I have grown older I have grown a little wiser. But just a little. I let my students keep me humble and that is a good place for me to be.
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: Acknowledging BB's from other system - 12/14/06 05:46 AM

I don't teach commercially, never had, but your question has a simple answer.

Your Nth degree black belt is from an X system; that's all you are qualified to claim. When you take up Y system, you start as a white belt, because that's where you are, and you should humbly acknowledge it. And if you do not feel good about paying to start learning basics again, then stick to X system.

However, you are free to demonstrate your personal technical prowess, because that's what you are, and your brand new white belt will not change that and nobody can refuse to acknowledge that.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Acknowledging BB's from other system - 12/14/06 06:42 AM

Quote:

How long before you either acknowledge that belt in your system...or before you make them test for it?

It is a MUCH easier thing to do when you don't wear belts to BEGIN with.

Then everyone is the same "rank". We're not an army, so rank is irrelevant anyway.

-John

Re: Acknowledging BB's from other system - 12/14/06 07:45 AM

'Nth degree'?, sure why not -works for me. white/black -doesn't matter, I'll wear what they tell me the custom is if I ever have the interest to train somewhere else.

but 'X-system' ? no. every system has a range of what is taught - maybe the range changes or is expanded or maybe it's completely fabricated from a little here and a little there...but it still has a name. Even if someone has no rank, it could be perfectly legitimate (if true) for them to say they study 'Karate' or more specifically 'Goju Ryu' if thats what the range of study encompases and have ben trained by someone who can claim the same.

remember, Funakoshi, Mabuni, Miyagi, Nagamine, etc all were given rank after the fact of many years training. prior to them being awarded the rank and prior to their Art being under Japan's Budo art infastructure...they still had a name for what they did: 'Te'. and if they distinguished between them, it was by the instructor mehod of their largest influence: Itosu-ha, Higaonna-ha, etc.

having/not having rank doesn't determine the system or range of study...instructional influence determines that. if anything, it's the other way around. sometimes systems are artificially built around a rank structure. (example: learning 1 kata per system grade as oppossed to just being taught principles the individual student is ready for which is silently evaluated by the instructor on a daily basis as opposed to formal testing rituals every 3 months that is largly marketing and retention driven).

p.s. serious question about belt color: you know how people wear faded black-belts? faded and tatered to the point that they look like a washed out grayish color....you know why are there no faded and tatered hanshi's wearing red-belts? because then it would look like a pink belt. lol

clearly appearance is a large part of what people do.
Posted by: Xibalba

Re: Acknowledging BB's from other system - 12/14/06 07:59 AM

Quote:

We're not an army, so rank is irrelevant anyway.

-John

Not an army? I tell our students that when they start training at our club they are joining the elite ranks of my "Fighting Force of Extraordinary Magnitude", and that some day I will command them from my secret mountain citadel as they use their fighting prowress to take over the world in my name.

Oh, and I also tell them that eye-gouging ALWAYS works against grapplers.

Mike
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Acknowledging BB's from other system - 12/14/06 12:18 PM

Hi Ed,

Faded belts are an older (possibly American?) tradition. The original belts were cheaply made and faded due to sweat and 'rotting' as time passed. I understand the attachment, having gone through 2 in my time. Then the modern era came about and newer traditions such as belts that instantly frayed because of thier construction tecnique, made it easier than the older ways of tying belts around a tree for one or two months to 'break' them in. Other traditions dictate only clean new belts should be worn.

Whatever tradition is followed, they just remain belts.

To the larger issue acknowledging BB's from other systems, I always acknowledge anyone. On the other hand I'm not looking for students, nor am I discouraging students. I will accept anyone who wants to train, that means to do what we do, not change it to someone elses opinion.

I've trained many places, my obi was always respected, but that never confired that I knew their system and was always trained as the instructor dictates.

When I have a black belt drop by, first I make them watch a class. About 1/2 of the time our training does not resemble the training they're looking for so they don't come back, which is fine.

When someone wants to train I explain I respect their studies and it's their choice what they want to wear. If they feel thier abilities are current in their art, they wear their black belt, if not they adjust their rank accordingly (they no I).

I encourage them (forever) to keep up their prior training, but I also explain that is not what we're doing in class, and that has included Isshinru dan's who've joined, as each program is unique to itself.

So whatever they're wearing they start at the beginning and learn the system from the ground up. Their speed of learning depends on their ability. Their progress depends on their effort.

I do not 'rank' them until they reach a new level from where they were before. So they don't get a new collection of rank certificates.

If they choose to join our training, they're doing so because the training offers them something they can't find elsewhere. In turn I do my best to share our system.

While we have degrees in dan training (they're light concepts not hard heavy rules) the group really doesnt' care as they know what they know, etc.

As for the new dan (regardless of previous rank) becoming a qualified instructor, our basic guide line is 15 continous years trianing with us.

Switching systems and learning a new system is very different from being qualified to teach that system the way we've developed it.

The truth is, taking outside dan's into the program is a lot of work that never ends. 15 years later I'm still working at changing earlier habits, that contradict what we're working towards.
Posted by: schanne

Re: Acknowledging BB's from other system - 12/14/06 12:44 PM

Harlan, we have a policy that no matter how high the bb rank, if they come to our shool they are busted to shodan and have to re-learn from their.

Re: Acknowledging BB's from other system - 12/14/06 02:17 PM

Another way of looking at it: you're a BB who winds up starting at some other style's school and the sensei says you have to start all over. Fine. What happens first time you spar the other kyus? Personally, I'd drop 'em like a hot turd. Some aknowledgement (or expulsion) would be forthcoming.
Posted by: ITFunity

Re: Acknowledging BB's from other system - 12/14/06 02:46 PM

Quote:

Another way of looking at it: you're a BB who winds up starting at some other style's school and the sensei says you have to start all over. Fine. What happens first time you spar the other kyus? Personally, I'd drop 'em like a hot turd. Some aknowledgement (or expulsion) would be forthcoming.

That was my point about how would one compete in a tournament? They aren't true beginners. Should they be allowed to take advantage of the pure whit e belts? Fighting-NO, Patterns-?

Re: Acknowledging BB's from other system - 12/14/06 02:47 PM

I thought part of the role of upper belts was to teach/train. Seems to me that that response would be very telling. Coming to a dojo to take...vs. to contribute...
Quote:

Posted by: Shouji

Re: Acknowledging BB's from other system - 12/14/06 02:49 PM

Overcomplicating things.

Go as far as acknowledging the person.
When sparring, recognize the skill level, and place his opponent as someone who is at the same level.

Re: Acknowledging BB's from other system - 12/14/06 02:51 PM

Harlan -

While I wouldn't try to hurt anyone at another school, I wouldn't neccessarily hold back my skill either. That's not being honest.

Re: Acknowledging BB's from other system - 12/14/06 02:58 PM

My understanding of sparring is limited...so I probably misunderstood Iron's context. Perhaps unfortunately, there is no 'sparring' in my learning. It's considered too dangerous.

Re: Acknowledging BB's from other system - 12/15/06 05:54 AM

Quote:

there is no 'sparring' in my learning. It's considered too dangerous.

So you only do eye-gouges and groin strikes?
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: Acknowledging BB's from other system - 12/15/06 07:43 AM

How do you learn a self defense system without application in a "fighting" situation? I am not judging, just asking how is it possible?

Scottie

Re: Acknowledging BB's from other system - 12/15/06 07:55 AM

I assume you are asking harlan that.

Perhaps it's a fighting without fighting kind of thing........

Re: Acknowledging BB's from other system - 12/15/06 07:57 AM

That's another thread...but after one year of Goju (what's that rank...10th kyu? )...I'm not qualified to discuss much. I'm still learning kikihowa/kakie, and our system has no 'sport' applications. Our bunkai being neck breaks, back breaks, arm breaks, etc., I don't see me getting to a point of control that would result in safe sparring for years.

Quote:

Quote:

there is no 'sparring' in my learning. It's considered too dangerous.

So you only do eye-gouges and groin strikes?

Back to topic.

Re: Acknowledging BB's from other system - 12/15/06 09:34 AM

I have no problem learning from others and have attended other classes and seminars without incident. And if asked, I could probably show another aspect of what was being presented. What I was saying harlan, was that if treated like a beginner in a striking style that doesn't mean I'd have to spar like a beginner.

I would be teaching something. Teaching the other sensei it isn't useful to be so arrogant. It's another aspect of being an elitist for your style.
Posted by: schanne

Re: Acknowledging BB's from other system - 12/15/06 10:12 AM

Fifteen years ago I switchwed from TSD to the school I'm at now, my rank was third dan at the time. My Shihan told me that it would be ok to remain a BB but he had to bust me down to (shodan), understandable. Easy enough, but all the Korean kata's that were learned in the past were not any good at the new school. So of course I had to learn 15 new of kata's, 4 bo kata's, all the new self defense, jusitsu and grappling ground work. I worked very hard on my techniques just to be accepted and equal in to the shodans of the dojo. Finally after about three years I was able to get back in the teaching cycle again. To say that when you switch styles is only about fighting is some what deceptive, don't forget about all the other baggage that comes with it . Still today I'm cathing up from the "big Switch"....but I love the move And to be perfectly honest the TSD way of fighting that was beaten in my head was a great kicking background/foundation but I was put on my butt many times since I wasn't use to the Japanese way of fighting. Now with the mixture of both style under my belt it has made me rounded fighter and MA.
Posted by: LairSniper

Re: Acknowledging BB's from other system - 12/15/06 10:36 AM

I am thrilled we are having this particular discussion. The school I train at has a steady flow of students from other schools and systems... what we tend to do is any student with rank of 2nd kyu (senior brown in our system) or higher from their system stays at that rank until they have learned all the curriculum up to that point. These students must have real rank certificates to verify their rank as well - our school owner has even gone as far as to call the student's previous school to discuss the student's claimed qualifications. No notes from mother stating their kid is a red belt or anything like that. haha. While some students below 2nd kyu are bummed out by this, we tend to allow them to "double-promote" up to their previous rank as long as they can handle the onslaught of material. If it takes them a year or 2 to get back to 2nd kyu, so be it. They usually take this well.

As for black belts, we always respect BBs from other systems and allow them to hold the "temporary/probabtionary" BB rank until they learn all the colored belt material, then the black belt material. They typically don't come in at 2nd Dan and stay 2nd Dan. If they came in a 3rd Dan for example and are true 3rd Dans, they shouldn't have much trouble getting up to speed. We view Black Belts much like 4-year college degrees at our school. You can't take a student's BA away from them, so why take the 4 years of training it takes to earn a black belt away just b/c they "transferred" schools?

Lstly, we have had one occasion where he had a master level black belt join our school. At this rank (5th dan and above), we allow them to keep their rank while they learn our curriculum. Our transfer in has a 6th dan in Shinsukair jiu-jitsu, 2nd dan in aikido and a 3rd dan in kenpo. Can't imagine giving him the "here's your probationary black belt - you have to earn your rank here," speech. He's been great, and is currently learning our stuff while also teaching his stuff - now we are working his practical self-defense material in our school's promotion curriculum. It's been a great fit for both him and our school.

Re: Acknowledging BB's from other system - 12/15/06 11:44 AM

'sparring' has alot of definitions. point spar and full-contact are just as different from each other as 2-person drills having progressive resistance.

someone could be from a system that trained him/her to be a good point/contact-spar...but when they join another place, they find the 2-person progressive resistance drills as foreign to them as a beginner.

why is that? I think because the assumed/accepted ranges are so dissimilar. the strategies and skillsets are optimized for whatever ranges are trained over the years.
Posted by: Saisho

Re: Acknowledging BB's from other system - 12/15/06 01:15 PM

Quote:

We view Black Belts much like 4-year college degrees at our school. You can't take a student's BA away from them, so why take the 4 years of training it takes to earn a black belt away just b/c they "transferred" schools?

If a person with a B.A. (say in biology) goes to another school to get another degree (say in chemistry), the school is not going to say that they have a B.A. in chemistry because of their first one. However, the school will allow all of the basic education from the first degree to be counted towards the second and allow the person to only learn the material that makes the two degrees different. That being the case, it will usually take a lot less time (2 compared to 4 years) to get a second degree.

I'm not saying that your way of treating BBs from other styles is wrong, but I thought the analogy was a little off.

Re: Acknowledging BB's from other system - 12/15/06 01:21 PM

Another take on 'recognizing' other professionals: I've met several physicians who obtained their educations/licenses abroad...but that could not practice medicine in the USA due to the inability to pass the exams to practice here. So, they worked in other health care professions where the licensing/certification was easier to obtain.

They still have their degrees, and education...but not recognized in a new place. Seems right...due to the importance of the job. I'm not saying a BB is on par with a physician...but respect/trust has to be earned wherever you go.
Posted by: eyrie

Re: Acknowledging BB's from other system - 12/15/06 08:15 PM

Quote:

how about this concept: nobody cares and just gets together a few times per week and trains. if someone new shows up...they train too.

I agree....

Quote:

It is a MUCH easier thing to do when you don't wear belts to BEGIN with.

Then everyone is the same "rank". We're not an army, so rank is irrelevant anyway.

And even more so....

I don't grade or rank people. So perhaps the issue (for me at least) is acknowledging someone's general level of skill and where they're at, more so than the color of their belt (or not).

The question, of course, is how to gauge the level of skill of an "outsider"....