Weapons arts poll

Posted by: harlan

Weapons arts poll - 11/28/06 09:37 AM

I'd like to get a sense of the numbers of weapons arts students here. Please vote. I don't have a sense of the arts practiced...so please comment when needed

Thanks!
Posted by: Xibalba

Re: Weapons arts poll - 11/28/06 10:23 AM

Hi harlan!

Our club used to teach some Okinawan kobudo on the side, and an instructor from another club has recently been volunteering his time to help us revive our weapons practice. At one point I knew a handful of bo and sai kata, and have done a few sai vs. bokken demos (alas, I have not really practiced these weapons in several years). I also had the opportunity to study some Kali - but again, this was almost a decade ago.

You are a kobudo practitioner, correct? Which weapons are yor favorite?

Thanks,
Mike
Posted by: KJ63

Re: Weapons arts poll - 11/28/06 10:24 AM

Modern Arnis
Posted by: ThomsonsPier

Re: Weapons arts poll - 11/28/06 10:34 AM

I attend kung fu classes and weapons are part of the curriculum. We have started with staff (6') to build strength and co-ordination and some of us are now moving to short (3') stick. There are more weapons further along the path, but, as they all share similar movements (stances and circles), they seem to flow into the structure of things quite easily.

Re: Weapons arts poll - 11/28/06 10:34 AM

That's a different poll. See the weapons forum.

Quote:

Which weapons are yor favorite?

Question for the Arnis or Escrima students: how do you 'categorize' that art if not in the above categories?
Posted by: Benjamin1986

Re: Weapons arts poll - 11/28/06 10:44 AM

Read the signature.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Weapons arts poll - 11/28/06 11:44 AM

Sig 229 .40

Re: Weapons arts poll - 11/28/06 11:50 AM

Sorry. I didn't include guns because this forum/site for the most part does not focus on them. I'm also unaware of any historic 'art form' associated with gun use.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Weapons arts poll - 11/28/06 11:57 AM

My club trains with the bo. I dabbled some with escrima sticks for a while,but I lost interest.

Lou Angel,the head of American goju trains with the bo,sai,and escrima sticks. I think he calls his organization tenshi goju or national college of martial arts now.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Weapons arts poll - 11/28/06 01:20 PM

Quote:

I'm also unaware of any historic 'art form' associated with gun use.

MA doesn't have to be historic. Heck, I'm not even going to back this point up, just discuss it with the TKD/JKD/BJJ guys.

I think that guns are a valid weapon art, just as archery is. (Especially snipers, have you ever heard about the amount of skill which goes into using a rifle that way?)
Posted by: Reiki

Re: Weapons arts poll - 11/28/06 01:49 PM

We study all the traditional Okinawan weapons

For other I weapons training I study arnis and of course do WMA in particular jousting, broadsword, spear, lance etc
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Weapons arts poll - 11/28/06 01:57 PM

What style/school/art of weapons do you practice? Korean, WTF Takewondo mixed with grappling skills, Nunchucks.
Posted by: Ives

Re: Weapons arts poll - 11/29/06 10:33 AM

Okinawan Kobudo

Weapons I've had some training in are bo, sai and a little in tonfa and nunchaku.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Weapons arts poll - 11/29/06 12:08 PM

I thought that's what the "Other" catagory was for...other types of weapons. When I invent the "Chair Kata" or "Tool-do", it will also be an "Other".

Re: Weapons arts poll - 11/29/06 12:12 PM

And you were correct. Thanks for pointing it out.
Posted by: Ames

Re: Weapons arts poll - 03/28/07 08:13 PM

I study Ono-ha Itto Ryu Kenjutsu along with my Aikijujutsu training. Both are under the unbrella of Hakuho-Ryu Aikibudo.

--Chris
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: Weapons arts poll - 03/28/07 10:05 PM

Isshinryu traditionally teaches the bo and sai. I picked up a little kama on my own, and the guys I work out with are getting on a weapons tangent, with sticks, oars and tonfa.
Posted by: oldman

Re: Weapons arts poll - 03/28/07 10:48 PM

I got nothing. Bupkiss, nada, not even a banana or a pointed stick.
Posted by: Tashigae

Re: Weapons arts poll - 04/02/07 03:38 AM

I took archery for a few years, in my early teens if I remember right. Then, when I was in that jujutsu dojo two years ago, I did a bit of kobudo; I was taught two nichogama kata (I particularly liked this weapon), one tonfa kata, and some nunshaku techniques; since then, I studied the gun (that's right, the chinese staff ) very briefly in my current gongfu school (but to be honest I've forgotten pretty much all of those lovely things ). And I'll let you figure out which weapon I study in my iaido dojo .
Posted by: BigWiggly

Re: Weapons arts poll - 07/23/10 07:55 PM

http://www.greendragonkungfu.com/images/weapons_sm.jpg

take your pick, white lotus bench is particularly funny to watch... but the 9 ring broadswords, hook swords, and wind & fire wheels are my favorites, aestheticaly pleasing and practical.
Posted by: bcihak

Re: Weapons arts poll - 07/27/10 02:35 PM

Dekiti Tirsia Sirada Kali, a Tortal family blade based FMA.
Posted by: WarblyDoo

Re: Weapons arts poll - 07/27/10 03:05 PM

My art is Modern Arnis but within that Modern we have incorporated many other weapons. Of course we have the rattan sticks but we also have knife, bo, tonfa, sai, kama, jo, and sword forms.

I notice nobody has mentioned things like kubotan, I assume this is because they were limiting discussion to those weapons for which there knew anyos/katas/forms (choose your language).

For the sake of expanding discussion I will add nunchaku and kubotan as weapons we practice for which we do not have set forms. Stick work flows directly into nunchaku.

Way back in the day I also knew a chinese staff/spear form but I have sadly lost that knowledge to the sands of time.