Posted by: Mr_Heretik

... - 11/19/06 03:11 PM

http://www.compfused.com/directlink/4213/

Posted by: Tom2199

Re: ... - 11/19/06 03:22 PM

how good to see kids getting the right start in life...

seriously how many times did he say the n word
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: ... - 11/19/06 03:42 PM

That is crazy. I've seen stuff like that happen in Northern Ireland. Can't believe parents encourage that. You have to have a license to drive, you have to have license to own a dog, you should have a license to have kids!
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: ... - 11/19/06 04:38 PM

The parents and adults there are human garbage.

Those kids don't have a chance. They will become products of their parents and perpetuate the stereotypes of the next generation.

The next breed of predators. Take a good look and know where they came from.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: ... - 11/19/06 04:59 PM

I wonder if this has made it to Child Protective Services around the country in an effort to prosecute the adults.
Posted by: Saisho

Re: ... - 11/19/06 07:25 PM

As a father, that video makes me sick.
Posted by: Shouji

Re: ... - 11/19/06 10:24 PM

Terrible. Such unorthodoxed punches, these parents are GUILTY of teaching their kids some bad fighting habits.

oN a more serious note, that video was disgusting, and those kids will be grown to be degenerates just like their parents.
Posted by: Ayub

Re: ... - 11/20/06 02:14 AM

Pretty poor display of parenting there.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: ... - 11/20/06 01:53 PM

Wasn't impressed and honestly can see a reason for this video even being on here as it is not martial arts related. What I found most dificult about this video is the language. I believe you should treat others the way you want to be treated. I'm sure if I used the "N" word I would be labeled a racist but they threw this world out there so many times during this video they only degraded themselves and showed what trash they (those in the video) really are!
Posted by: BrianS

Re: ... - 11/20/06 02:27 PM

That link should be removed from this site IMO and all the morons involved should go to jail for child abuse.
Posted by: BulldogTKD

Re: ... - 11/20/06 03:30 PM

Quote:

That link should be removed from this site IMO and all the morons involved should go to jail for child abuse.

I agree! Remove the link!
Posted by: bearich

Re: ... - 11/20/06 03:56 PM

CNN.com only has a video story on it so I don't have a direct link for you, but there have been two arrests already over this video. If I remember correctly the kids were forced to fight each other to (pardon the paraphrasing) "learn how to fight on the street when they get older"
Posted by: MattJ

Re: ... - 11/21/06 07:48 AM

Quote:

The parents and adults there are human garbage.

Those kids don't have a chance. They will become products of their parents and perpetuate the stereotypes of the next generation.

The next breed of predators. Take a good look and know where they came from.

Agreed. Sickening.
Posted by: KJ63

Re: ... - 11/21/06 04:07 PM

Several people above asked to remove the post and that it has nothing to do with martial arts. Well, it has almost everything to do with martial arts. These are the kind of morons you may have to defend yourself against one day, or the kind of thug that may break into your home. The fact is these idiots are becoming more and more trained every day, and more prone to violence.

But is it human? No. The kids should be taken away from their parents.

Re: ... - 11/21/06 04:23 PM

Quote:

Several people above asked to remove the post and that it has nothing to do with martial arts. Well, it has almost everything to do with martial arts. These are the kind of morons you may have to defend yourself against one day, or the kind of thug that may break into your home. The fact is these idiots are becoming more and more trained every day, and more prone to violence.

I'm sorry, I disagree. If we go by your explanation then we might as well throw up every video of every idiot, muggings, robberies, crimes of violence, etc. For those in Martial Arts training for Self Defense, because not everybody is, these types of videos are not going to be helpful. We already watch the news, we watch TV showing us idiots, see videos on the internet showing us idiots ... heck at work I'm surrounded by idiots. Not martial arts related nor will it make me a better martial artist. All it makes me realize is how much better off in life I am and what type of trash is out there.

Re: ... - 11/21/06 04:33 PM

What part of it was martial arts related?

Re: ... - 11/21/06 05:36 PM

I agree with KJ63. Other "stupidity" posts have had one thing in common - age. This is the first one that I have seen that really shows how some people are indoctrinated into the "predator" mindset. Teens and college boys are many times hard along the (wrong) path, and we wonder "why". Here it is. Martial arts is often touted as a path to personal development and moral character. This video shows what happens in the beginning when violence is taught with total moral abandonment. The OPPOSITE of martial arts training as I know it.

While extremely disturbing, this is something that should not be covered up because we don't want to see it.
Posted by: VDJ

Re: ... - 11/21/06 05:42 PM

I watched about 10 seconds and turned it off. I have to say though, after reading the thread, it had the "Car Wreck" effect with me. I knew I shouldn't look, but I did any way.

VDJ
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: ... - 11/21/06 06:15 PM

It never amazes me to see these things anymore. Hopefully the right people will see this and those children will be put in a proper home.

Re: ... - 11/22/06 01:04 PM

MattJ,
You hit the nail right on the head, and took it in the exact direction I was headed: Predator Mindset.

We are an aging society, meaning there are less young people today than the baby-boomers of the previous generation, yet violent crimes in young people is at an all time high. In almost every country it has at least doubled while in others it has increased as much as 5 fold. Never in recorded peacetime history have we had a greater rate of people attempting to kill off members of its own society. Why is this happening? There are several reasons and this video may explain more than a few.

Why does this video differ from the others? MattJ touched on some of them. You must take into account the very young age of the kids compared to other videos of teens or adults. Think about this: What we learn in our younger years cannot be unlearned. Then add both the classical and operant conditioning that is present in this video. Now am I suggesting that people go crazy posting this kind of idiotic stuff? Of course not, but I’m not going to write it off as not having any value at all. This may not have even been the intent of Mr_Heretik when he posted it, but it is still a good example.

What part of this is martial arts related? Anyone who finds themselves in an altercation or self-defense situation should know what they can come up against. I’m not suggesting you may come up against this 8 year old kid, but someone may run into this kid 10 years from now. If you are not prepared mentally, or do not have the correct intent when someone with this type of mindset focuses on you, then chances are no matter how much training you’ve had, you will fail. Now for most of us that may be hard to admit but after spending several years in law enforcement I’ve seen it.

Derek,
I would like to meet the person who is trying to fool themselves into believing they are not training for self-defense when they train in martial arts. Now this may not be the driving force behind why some people take MA and it may not be what started a person training in MA, but everyone who does MA, trains in self-defense. Whether you are doing a technique on a person who is attacking you, or by visualizing someone attacking, you are training self-defense. Stimulus response, stimulus response, stimulus response… attempting to condition a response to a specific attack or situation by definition is training in self-defense.

IMHO the problem with martial arts today is that students are not taught the mental and physiological aspects of a confrontation. How their bodies will respond, their mindset, and the predator’s mindset. Giving someone the physical tools is only half the battle, and as a MA instructor if that is all I have given my students then I have failed them. It would be like me giving a kid a gun with no bullets and tell him to rob a store; he may pull it off, but then again it may be just enough to get him killed.

I apologize for the length of this post, and to Lt. Col. Dave Grossman for repeating some of his material.

Re: ... - 11/22/06 01:54 PM

I can agree with some of your post but will visit some of the issues to give my view on things.

Quote:

What part of this is martial arts related? Anyone who finds themselves in an altercation or self-defense situation should know what they can come up against.

I don't see this in any way or shape or form martial art related. If confronted on a street this video will not help you in any way shape or form. I already know that there are people out there wanting to hurt us and knowing that when they were younger something like this happened will not change things. If an altercation happens it has to be dealt with at that time in that moment. I couldn't care a less their background I just have to know that I have to deal with what is in front of me. The last thing on my mind will be ... "Geez ... I wonder if some trashy parents raised these stupid kids to beat each other up and now they have violent tendencies to lash out at people because they think it is right. Perhaps ...." WHAM! You think too long you lose. Basically you can never be fully prepared and will have no clue what you are up against. Am I to think now in the future that everybody that a situation comes up that they were backyard trash brawlers?

Quote:

If you are not prepared mentally, or do not have the correct intent when someone with this type of mindset focuses on you, then chances are no matter how much training you’ve had, you will fail. Now for most of us that may be hard to admit but after spending several years in law enforcement I’ve seen it.

Again you do not know your mental state until you are put into this situation and no amount of videos is going to change that. Again we know there are people out there wanting to hurt us but and "anybody" that I come up against I will be thinking they want to hurt me and I have to stop them or hurt them first. Unfortunately failing is an option whether prepared or not, mentally focused or not. If they really want to hurt you then chances are they can even when properly trained. Properly trained can limit it, stop it or escalate it and each situation will have to be dealt with at that time and there is no way of truly preparing for it. We can mimic it in training, we can compete to test our skills but not until that moment and at that time will we be truly tested ... and again an individual that confronts you is an obstical and their background will not play into it.

Quote:

Derek,
I would like to meet the person who is trying to fool themselves into believing they are not training for self-defense when they train in martial arts.

I'm surprised by this statement. There are people training to sport spar and have no quams as to what they are doing. Then there are people there for fitness and fitness only. I know people who go because they are forced to go. I know people go just to tag along with friends to be part of their lives. People join for health reasons or just looking for something to do to fill a void. Not everybody is "self defense" orientated or believes that the skills they are learning lead to this. I would even dare to say many cannot add two plus two to get this. They mimic what is shown and that is it and cannot even grasp the basics that certain techniques can be used in certain situations even when explained thoroughly by Instructors.

Quote:

IMHO the problem with martial arts today is that students are not taught the mental and physiological aspects of a confrontation. How their bodies will respond, their mindset, and the predator’s mindset.

I can agree with a lot of this but I do not solely blame the school or the Instructors but put a lot of the blame on the people taking martial arts. Many are taught the skills, and I see this in my own school, but I know that they cannot mentally grasp it nor put their all into it and it looks too mimicked or poorly done. You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink ... this goes for teaching/learning adequate skills. And to further expand this, why is it then that the same information is provided to the class but some get it and can apply it while others can't?

I don't discount much that you have written as you believe it from your own experiences, I just want to give you another perspective. I found the video not martial arts related ... no different then I see street fight videos martial arts related. There are many people out there learning agressive behaviours from their parents, their friends, their surroundings, etc. These people may grow up to be hoodlums but then again they may use a part of their brain and decide to do something good with themselves. Bad people come from all walks of life and when confronted by one of them my mindset is not going to change if they are some kid who grew up fighting in his backyard because their trashy parents made them fight or it is a white collared disgruntled employee. They will all be obsticals wanting to hurt me, or my family/friends, and I will need to deal with that situation at that time. And no amount of videos will change that especially this disgraceful video of ignorant, trashy, useless parents making their kids brawl in the backyard for their entertainment and their entertainment only!

Re: ... - 11/22/06 03:42 PM

KJ63, you're entirely correct.

"They" are the preditors & "we" (law-abiding citizens) are the prey. They grow-up & live in a subculture that perpetuates the preditor mind-set. This is a necessity because when they're eventually arrested & sent to Jail/Prison, they must survive. They have prepared for that eventaulity.

We, on the other hand, don't forsee prison in our futures & it's often a stretch to envision becoming a victim of a violent attack. The fact is that the majority of people are never attacked but we (MA-ists) take steps toward ensuring our own safety.

I agree that most (including my) MA training is comprable to handing someone a gun w/o ammo but the problem is always a question of liability. To train a student using a greater level of Preditor consciousness requires real many-against-one training sessions. The chances for injury are too great considering the liklihood of being attacked.

In fact, LE academy's require the LEO candidates to wear protective vests when training in (for example) gun-retention drills. Strikes to the face are also disallowed. It's as real as it can be w/o becoming REAL.

I don't see a way of training kids in this manner w/o resorting to what was done on the video. Also, most adults who currently train would find this beyond what they'd be willing to practice. Fact is that the adrenalin dump changes everything & there's no way of duplicating it w/o the perception that a real threat is about to occur.

The only way to experience real confrontation & physical aggression is to take it to become a LEO, work in corrections, become a doorman or (in my case) psychiatric intensive treatment units. Anywhere you must enounter & control non-compliant, angry, antisocial individuals.

I apologize for the thesis (but I feel better now).

owari

To connect the thesis w/ the topic - I believe that the video, as reprehensible as it is, shows how the preditor mind-set started. It's a way to understand your enemy (which is the most important in ALL SD situations). Yes, those 8 y/o kids will be coming after you in 2014 (or sooner).

Re: ... - 11/22/06 04:16 PM

If I may point out, it is being "assumed" that these kids will grow up to be hoodlums or predators due to this poor up bringing and that is wrong. This is stereotyping which we owe these kids better then what their family did with them, otherwise the chain will never be broken.

Weak people who refuse to make changes in the life for the better will follow the same pattern from their upbringing and surroundings where as those who use their brain and make better choices for themselve do not fall victim to this. I could be a child abuser now but I'm not because I could see the difference between right and wrong though I was brought up with this.

SO ... these kids are "not" preditors nor will we ever know if they will be.

Re: ... - 11/22/06 05:28 PM

When did stereotyping become a bad word? Stereotyping is a generalization & generalizing is valid. It never meant ALL -no one said it did. No, we don't know these kids personally & we can't predict their future but generally speaking, these kids (& thousands like them) are on a path they can't or won't get off of.

If you're using your own personal story of victory over adversity as proof that the stereotype is incorrect, I'd like to inform you that you're the exception to the rule. More kudos to you. But the exception doesn't prove the rule.

It's not up to us to deny the stereotype for PC sake. We need to wake up & accept things as they are. It's one reason I train & teach.

I'm a mental health professional w/ jailed/recently released inmates & if I didn't have some expectation that @ least a couple of them would change for the positive, I wouldn't do what I do. But I also know that 90% of them will have a dirty test @ least 4x/yr or get arrested/violated within 18 mos. At the same time, I have 4 clients who are exceptions to the rule & they're leading happy, reasonably successful & stable lives.

Finally, it isn't a matter of weakness (or strength) that determines if a person can change. Just as you can't point to ony 1 thing that is responsible for your happiness. There are many things that contribute to your overall happiness & the same goes for changing one's life for the better. Saying "weak people who refuse" is also a contridiction in concepts. If they are "weak", they CAN'T change; if they refuse to change, they aren't weak - just prefer things as they are over the unknown (no guarantee for their effort).

Your point is overly simplistic.

owari

Re: ... - 11/23/06 03:39 PM

Derek,
It is obvious that the only thing we are going to agree upon is the fact that we disagree. I try to view everything I see as a possible learning experience. I never claimed that this video had the potential for or could be used as an instructional video. I only said that it showed some classical concepts used for conditioning a negative or predator mindset which is an important if not neglected part of MA. These same types of conditioning concepts are used by people who say that media violence can have a negative influence on children, but does this mean it affects everyone the same? No, absolutely not. Does it necessarily mean that these two kids will have a bleak future? No, but the odds are not in their favor. Much of what I was talking about also referred to the adults (if you care to refer to them as such) who are encouraging, cheering, repeating racial slurs, wanting more out of what they are seeing in much the same way the Romans where conditioned to cheering at the sight of people getting ripped to shreds in the Coliseum; the same way that we have learned to laugh and cheer at death and destruction on television.
Quote:

“…You think too long you lose…”

I cannot begin to count the number of martial arts movies I’ve heard this cliché in. The problem is they need to take out the “…too long…” The fact is that most reasoning besides basic function goes out the window in a high stress situation. Ever try to reason with someone who’s pi$$ed off? It’s next to impossible. The person will often respond in a hostile or negative way. Why? The body and mind has put itself on the defense. Ever been pi$$ed and said something you later regretted, same difference. Under stress your brain and thought process has regressed into a primal state where it can only think and react in a defensive manor without regard to another persons feeling or wellbeing.
Quote:

“…Again you do not know your mental state until you are put into this situation…”

If there is anything that I do know for sure is my mental state, because that is the way I train, and it is the way I live. After 6 years in the Marine Corp, a couple of years as a bouncer, and 8 years of law enforcement I understand what happens to my body: the adrenaline dump, increased heart rate, blood pressure, the shaky hands, and everything else that goes with it. I have learned to except it, and at times even enjoy it (I used to be quite the adrenaline junky). But even more importantly, I understand and have a realistic view of myself, and what I am or am not capable of. Now that along with a strong faith in what little abilities I do have gives me what I need to get myself through most situations. Might I have a bad day and fail? Of course, no one is perfect or invincible, but it would have nothing to do with my mental state, it would be because the person had the upper hand or was just better than me.
Quote:

“There are people training to sport spar and have no quams as to what they are doing. Then there are people there for fitness and fitness only. I know people who go because they are forced to go. I know people go just to tag along with friends to be part of their lives.”

Once again you’ve missed my point. As I said above, I do not deny that there are many reasons WHY someone trains, or WHY they show up to train. I’m sure there are many more reasons than what you have listed, but what they ARE DOING, the techniques they are running is self-defense.
Quote:

“Many are taught the skills, and I see this in my own school, but I know that they cannot mentally grasp it nor put their all into it and it looks too mimicked or poorly done. You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink ... this goes for teaching/learning adequate skills. And to further expand this, why is it then that the same information is provided to the class but some get it and can apply it while others can't?”

Responsibility for teaching is one thing and completely different from the responsibilities of learning. I would have to then in turn ask you some questions. Do these people who show up and go through the motions continue to gain rank? Do the people who show up and mimic or do techniques that are poorly done continue to gain rank? If your answer is, “yes” then my response to you is quit the McDojo and start a real school. In my school they would not. Now there is a difference between someone who just needs some special attention and someone who doesn’t want to be there, which leads me back to the issue of WHY these people think they are coming to class. I have a job that pays me well, so I view my school as nothing more than a school, and not a business. And in response to yet another cliché about the horse you lead to water but you couldn’t make drink, well then don’t promote him to a black belt and tell him he’s done a good job. As to why some people can apply what their taught while others cannot, if you can answer that one then every educational system in the world would like to here your answer.

Hedkikr,
Yes. The situational training always has a high risk for injury, but we have a Redman suit and we also have one of the Blauer Tactical Systems suits. No, I do not allow the kids to participate in these types of full contact simulations, just as I would not teach a kid to strike to the throat or the use of chokeholds.

Sorry this seems to have gotten a little off topic.

Re: ... - 03/28/08 12:59 PM

Still difficult to imagine this kind of thing. Bump.
Posted by: MAGon

Re: ... - 03/31/08 03:07 PM

M,

I deleted your post as it violates the forum rules regarding posting political views and politics in general. Although interesting I can not allow it.

Please keep this in mind going forward. Note this is also a rule for any off-topic forums contained here at FA.com
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: ... - 03/31/08 03:37 PM

Fascinating opinion, however, I do wonder how true it is. The US is still host to many of the finest academic institutions in the world. Or is it perhaps that education simply isn't that important in the states? Ah, well, I'm sure I'll find out when I arrive.
Posted by: everyone

Re: ... - 03/31/08 05:28 PM

Awe shucks, we'd best leave our think'n to the intellectuals. Us common folk don't understand issues and stuff. Nicholos is smart, he uses big words and if I don't think like he does, I mussn't be educated enough.

What does this have to do with the original post?

Re: ... - 03/31/08 06:22 PM

What does this have to do with anything?

You need pimpslapped!!
Posted by: Ket

Re: ... - 04/01/08 03:11 AM

Kids ...

I think all we can do is hope that in the future, those two boys meet someone significant in their lives or are a part of a life changing and mind altering event. Frankly, I wish them the best.
Posted by: MAGon

Re: ... - 04/03/08 03:46 PM

Quote:

M,

I deleted your post as it violates the forum rules regarding posting political views and politics in general. Although interesting I can not allow it.

Please keep this in mind going forward. Note this is also a rule for any off-topic forums contained here at FA.com

Raul: My point wasn't to make a political statement. When I read the article, what struck me was the point about dumbing down, not the politics.
However, from the reaction of some other folks I guess I unitentionally started a political crap storm ( ). So I'll take the deletion lika a man ( ) and bear it in mind next time.
Apologies.