Benny "te jet" Urquidez

Posted by: TeK9

Benny "te jet" Urquidez - 11/07/06 02:34 AM

I call this Focklng Bu11$hit!

"In the late 1970's Benny "The Jet" Urquidez faced Prayoud Sittiboonlert of Thailand in Japan. The rules in this encounter allowed the use of knees. Sittiboonlert was not the current Muay Thai Champion. Nevertheless, he punished Urquidez so bad that Urquidez's cornermen threw in the towel at the end of Round 2. In the picture (left), Sittiboonlert throws a brutal Thai kick to Urquidez's legs. What upsets me about the Urquidez publicists is the fact that they totally try to hide the result of this match. In the December 1998 issue of Black Belt Magazine (pages 33-34), Floyd Burk wrote: "Urquidez was so 'bad' that he could go to any country on earth, fight anybody he was paired up with according to their rules - and beat the living daylights out of them . . . Thai boxing-style leg whips and elbow and knee strikes, made it impossible for Urquidez's opponents to plan an effective strategy against him. They tried, but not a single one could do it." I've had enough of such false information surrounding Urquidez's misrepresented undefeated record and his false claims of having faced kickboxing opponents under any rules. For one, Sittiboonlert beat Benny soundly. Benny could not continue into the third round. Secondly, the WKA later ruled the fight a "no-contest" because they wanted to protect the record of their boy. How could someone not have a "lost" on their record if their cornermen threw in the towel? Third, Benny did not want anything to do with having to fight against a Muay Thai fighter in Thailand (especially with knees, elbows, and clinching). He repeatedly rejected any further challenges. To Urquidez's publicists and future publicists, if you want to say that Urquidez was a Full-Contact Karate Champion, then that's okay - you would have my respect. But don't try to misinform the public by saying that Benny was an undefeated World Champion in the ring who beat all of his ring challengers. He never stepped into Thailand and his lost to Sittiboonlert was never on his record. I don't know if Benny is responsible for the misrepresentation. But his publicists need to start telling the truth. I apologize for the rather rude connotation of this statement, but I've tolerated the lack of respect towards Thai Boxers from Urquidez's crew for more than a decade and it's time to show the world the truth. It is disrespectful to lose to an opponent or to refuse the challenges of a legitimate challenger and talk as if you have conquered them. That is disrespect to Sittiboonlert! That is disrespect to Muay Thai! And I'm not just speaking for the Muay Thai community in Thailand, but for the many Muay Thai practitioners in the USA, Europe, Asia, Australia, and New Zealand."

btw... despite my hate for Benny's BS "record", he was a great fighter.
Posted by: Taison

Re: Benny "te jet" Urquidez - 11/07/06 02:41 AM

Quote:

That is disrespect to Muay Thai! And I'm not just speaking for the Muay Thai community in Thailand, but for the many Muay Thai practitioners in the USA, Europe, Asia, Australia, and New Zealand."

/Flex

-Taison out

Re: Benny "te jet" Urquidez - 11/07/06 02:42 AM

Benny Urquidez addresses these so called "losses". In an interview called "The Jet is Still Flying High" 1994

I have known Benny since February 1978. He had been in town to do a five round exhibition. I still remember him landing his jumping back kick to the face of his opponent, and watching almost in slow motion, as the mouthpiece sailed across the ring. I then attended a seminar he was conducting and was one of the fortunate few who was allowed to spar with him. I had good kicking ability but my boxing skills (compared to Benny's) left much to be desired. While he was in mid step, I hit him with a sidekick to the body knocking him off balance and to the ground. Everyone panicked (as did I, I thought he was going to kill me). He came in close and proceeded to box my ears off while explaining the technique and how he was doing it. In 1980, in my early fight career, his brother Arnold wanted to buy my fight contract off of my manager but my manager would not sell it. When I was told of this years later, I thought it was ironic as I had not signed a contract with my manager or anyone. I fought on several undercards of Benny's fights and in 1981, there was discussion between Benny, myself and my business partner to open up a gym for him in Canada and become Benny's right hand man. I sometimes wonder where I would be right now had I pursued this, however, I have never had any regrets for my decision and am at peace with myself and my life. His wife Sara has even been kind enough in the past to find items for me in L.A. that I collect and send them to me. Benny has always treated me with kindness and respect and I the same for him. The man is my inspiration for my training and pursuing Kickboxing as a career. Benny is very in tune with himself and his goals, and I respect him that much more for it. This is a man who has had an incredible career. He received his Black Belt at the age of fourteen. Forget todays four and six year old Black Belts which in reality are a farse as a Black belt means technical proficientcy as a beginner as well as a step into manhood. Benny received his Black Belt four years before the norm, which was unheard of in the early days of the Martial Arts in the U.S.A. His colorful career has left him as a controversial figure amongst the Thai fighters. His fight with Howard Jackson is now legendary in its outcome. Four years ago, there was talk about Benny fighting boxing great, Sugar Ray Leonard. Leonard was considering fighting three opponents, two of which he did, Hearns and Duran. Leonard backed down from Urquidez as rumor has it he would not be able to deal with the kicking aspect of the fight. The Jet's exploits in Japan left him a National Hero there with the Japanese only being able to accept the losses by calling Benny half Japanese. They even had Benny "The Jet" comic books in Japan. Some of todays boxers and Kickboxers have unknowingly mimicked Benny with their victorious jumping back flips after winning their bouts. Benny was doing this in the early 1970's! Whenever I talk to him he constantly amazes me and makes me feel refreshed in my own personal pursuits from his enthusiasm. He was kind enough to give me some spare minutes in between training to talk about himself, his life, and his upcoming retirement fight with Japanese Champion Tagami. Thanks Benny!

Mike Miles: How come every time that I talk to you I get nervous?

Benny Urquidez: That's a good sign because then we have good energy's flowing against each other. It's just a matter of respecting one another.

Mike Miles: When did you start training in the Martial Arts?

Benny Urquidez: When kids at three years old had fire trucks, I had boxing gloves. I started boxing at the age of three and I was boxing peewee division at the Olympic Auditorium at the age of five. I started wrestling at the age of six and I started judo at seven. From seven years old in the arts I continued on, so I am going on thirty five years in the arts.

Mike Miles: When did you have your first Full Contact fight?

Benny Urquidez: Actually it first came out in 1973 and it was called "Full Contact Karate" which nobody understood anyway. I started in what was like a toughman contest. It was called the World Series of Martial Arts on which everyone fought on this one. There was no weight divisions. It was like "OK" whomever you are matched up with, you fight next. It did not matter the size, the weight, the rules, everything went. I fought Dana Goodsen who was six foot three and 245 lbs. at the time. I beat him for the Grand Championship. It got to the point where I even bit him on the chest. I dropped him on the ground, and he elbowed and we both started getting tired. He started to move and I spit my mouthpiece out and I bit him on the chest (laughter). I mean that is the type of fighting it was. There was no rules. I won the title and I defended my title on that about three times. I was the world champion in no weight division. Then I went to the P.K.A. (Professional Karate Association). It started at the same time as the World Series of Martial Arts. I went in there and I fought. From that point on I took the title in the lightweight division. Then I went into Chuck Norris' N.K.L. (National Karate League) and fought under that sanctioning body. I won the lightweight title there also. Then my brother, Chuck Norris, and Howard Hansen, started the W.K.A. I also took that title. Half of the other sanctions I do not even remember. Then I did the first Muay Thai fight in the U.S.A. on March 12th, 1977. I actually thought at the time that "Muay Thai" was his name. I had no idea that it was a fighting style.

Mike Miles: There have been several magazines that have published the article about you fighting Thai Champion Narongnoi Kiatbandit. Some of the pro Muay Thai magazines have been really digging in negatively about you. Is there anything you would like to say about your fight with Narongnoi other than what you have published?

Benny Urquidez: As far as fighting Narongnoi, I take nothing from him. I beat him fair and square and with no problem. Here is the problem with Thai fighters: even when you beat the Thai's, they are not convinced you have beat them. They never admit that anybody can beat them. They have been beaten though they still do not admit they have lost. It is their mentality and the way they think. It is not their education or lack of it. There is no life for them after the ring. That is all they do for a living. They walk and talk and sleep and dream fighting day in and day out. They don't go outside the camp. To them their is no life after the ring.

Mike Miles: Narongnoi is now an extremely wealthy businessman in Bangkok. Fighting is their way out of poverty to buy land and farm it for themselves and their families. Fighting means money to them.

Benny Urquidez: Yeah!? Where as for me I do it as a sport. They are constantly saying that I lost and they can beat me, and they have beaten me or I have cheated and I say, "Look you can say anything you want." I'm not saying I am a superman or I do not cry, bleed or hurt. But as far as fighting I have never been beaten or knocked out. I have been knocked down but never knocked out. I will give you two instances. They say I lost with this other Thai guy (Prayout Sittiboonlert) in Japan on August 2nd, 1978. We were giving a five round exhibition. After it was over with, the next thing I know is that I heard he beat me. I said what do you mean he beat me? We did a five round exhibition. There was no weigh in. There were no rule stipulations to make the bout legitimate. The second time was with Billy "Jack" Jackson in the U.S.A. with him saying he beat me. They told me a five round exhibition and then it went seven rounds. Towards the end of the show I told my brother in the corner, "Forget it, let me go out and knock this character out." In the seventh round I go out and I almost put this guys lights out, and then the sanctioning body says because I swept him and several other excuses, they fouled me points and then they said I lost. I said "What? How do you lose an exhibition?"

Mike Miles: You have done so much for the sport that people want to take away from it, or do what they can to discredit you.

Benny Urquidez: It's like nobody can be that good and they think that nobody can not lose. I say "Look it. It does not matter if I lose, I lose." The point is I went out there for the right reasons. I do not discredit anybody as far as Kickboxing is concerned. In Thailand they are outlawing the elbows.

Mike Miles: In all the times I have been in Thailand, I can not think of a time that I did not see bouts using elbows as weapons.

Benny Urquidez: American people do not want to see that. They want to see a good fight but they do not want to see two people kill each other. In Thailand a lot of the Thai's are going blind from the elbows, so now they are starting to take away the elbows from the fighters. There are still certain camps that will still fight with elbows. Only because it is not a sport, but a way of life and a way of putting food on the table. It is a sport and we go in there for the right reasons. I have heard so many stories that I have lost, I have been knocked out, or such and such was training me and he knocked me out in my gym. I always believe one thing, I am somebody to talk about. If I was nobody to talk about, it would not matter. All I care is they say my name right.

Mike Miles: What is your present fight record right now?

Benny Urquidez: On paper it is 57 wins and 0 losses with 49 by knockout. This is by what I can show you on posters, papers, tapes and videos. In reality, I am 63 wins and 0 losses. I can not show proof for the other 6 fights. So as far as everyone else is concerned, I am 57 and 0.

Mike Miles: I find it ironic that they complain about six of your fights. There are a few other champions who are claiming to have a bunch of fights that they can not prove either. One American kickboxer turned action star in the Orient added on 30 odd fights in less than a year. Which of your bouts do you feel were noteworthy fights?

Benny Urquidez: I trained just as hard for all of my fights. I take nobody for granted. I spar just as hard and do my homework just as hard as if my opponent is a champion. As far as I am concerned I am going for his title even if he does not have one. Everyone one of my fights was a title fight. On record I have 57 title fights. People will say you have the title, what do you mean you are going for his title? In my mind I do not care. I take nobody for granted and I go to war with each and everyone of them.

Mike Miles: Who do you think was your toughest opponent in the ring? Who was the one that really made you have to pull from the inside?

Benny Urquidez: Okao was a very strong fight for me. I always remember him in my mind because that guy was strong right from when the bell rang. He clocked me and I felt every bit of his power. Powerful legs, powerful hands, good boxing skills and a good kicker. He sticks out in my mind.

Mike Miles: That was an incredible fight. That is the fight where you almost sprinted for a full round to knock him out.

Benny Urquidez: Right, I had to. That was the only way I could drop this guy. He absorbed everything.

Mike Miles: When was your last fight in the ring? Was that Tom Laroche in 1985?

Benny Urquidez: No I had one in Japan. I wish I could think of his name. Blinky (Rodriguez - Benny's brother in law) can think of his name. That was 4 1/2 years ago at the Tokyo Dome.

Mike Miles: Did you knock him out?

Benny Urquidez: It was a five round decision.

Mike Miles: What are your future goals in life?

Benny Urquidez: I have nothing to prove. I have held the title for nineteen going on twenty years now. I am going into the ring for the right reason first of all. I am going in there to build the sport. Building it up so I can make a standard so these guys underneath of me will start to make some decent money. I can't believe these guys train so hard and then get so little. So hopefully I am going to make a standard financially. A lot of the proceeds for my fights are going to cities and schools. It is called the "Knockout, Dropout Academy." It is for these kids that have dropped out of school, even as early as kindergarten, to help these kids get back in school and educate them and keep them off of the streets with this gang stuff. The purpose is right for this. Everyone assumed I am retired, because after my last fight I started doing movie work. So this will be my retirement fight and at the same time it will start out the Knockout, Dropout Academy.

Mike Miles: Who do you feel was the most influential person in your life?

Benny Urquidez: My mother was my hero. God bless her as she passed away a year and a half ago. She was everything that made me strive. Now my wife has taken over these footsteps. Not that she has taken the place of my mother. There have been three women in my life: my mother, my wife and my daughter. Between the three it not only gave me the inspiration, but also the want and the excitement to continue. I have been in the art for thirty five years and I still am as excited and as hungry as when I started. I believe I am a better teacher than I am a fighter and it is because I love people and I love teaching and I love sharing. I have a lot to give and I just want to be able to give back to the community.

Mike Miles: Is there anything you would like to say about your family?

Benny Urquidez: All of the members in my family are leaders starting with my older brother Arnold. There are nine Black Belts in my family. The Martial Arts have kept us together. There is a lot of love for one another and a lot of respect. My family not only gave me a lot of inspiration but were there to back me up as well. We trained together. We walked and talked the Martial Arts together. We have a lot of love for the art which kept us together and helped us get as good as we could get.

Mike Miles: Are you happy with what you have achieved in Kickboxing or life in general?

Benny Urquidez: I am content with my life. I've been around the world five times. I have fought the best. I have planted my flag and I came home with money. I've seen more than people have seen in a lifetime and I am a young pup. I've got a lot to share and a lot to give. I have started to realize that after forty years old you just start to live your life. All of the trials and tribulations I have behind me. There is nothing you can tell me as I have lived through it all. I've seen it, I've tasted it, I've been it, I've felt it, I understand it and right now I am really starting to enjoy my life and the fruits of my labour. I am starting to reap the harvest which is amazing. I realize I am really starting to enjoy my life and give back to the community what I was blessed with. I am better now than when I was at twenty.

Mike Miles: Are you happy with the state of Kickboxing right now?

Benny Urquidez: No I am not happy with it right now because it has not received what it deserves. It has not received the media attention and the financial attention for the fighters that are working real hard. It is established because people want to see it. People are calling it the sport of the '90's. People want to see it and people are going to have to contend with it but it is still not quite there yet.

Mike Miles: What do you think can be done to promote it?

Benny Urquidez: That is what I am doing and I am going to help to create a standard to improve it. I hope to help to continue improving it until the day I die. It is something I have loved, respected and honored.

Mike Miles: What is your opinion on Full Contact karate (without kicks to the legs) now?

Benny Urquidez: The problem with Full Contact Karate is that it is not international. Los Angeles is full of 'World Champions'. I have said that you can not have so many different sanctions and different rules. It has to be like boxing with one set of rules. International rules and everybody has got to adjust by it. That way you will get all of these champions together and let them fight each other and you will end up with one true champion.

Mike Miles: Well, unfortunately boxing is like that now with so many professional sanctioning bodies. Everyone is out for the money.

Benny Urquidez: Yeah!

Mike Miles: What is your opinion about Kickboxing (allowing kicks to the legs)?

Benny Urquidez: To me I am a strong believer in the street that there can be no rules. When you can not continue, the fight is over with. That is self-defense. As far as the ring is concerned, there are rules you have to go by and we have to find a happy medium for all.

Mike Miles: You state that the Thais are no longer using elbows in their fights, yet most Thai Boxing masters are frowning down on the present sport for attempting to do this. They see the art now becoming "handicapped Muay Thai".

Benny Urquidez: In Muay Thai you have to take the elbows out because the public does not want to see that. The knees are not bad at all as long as you do not grab the neck and clinch. Then it starts to look like it is wrestling. People do not want to see that. Knees are fine as long as you do not clinch.

Mike Miles: "Modified" Muay Thai seems to be catching on all around the world other than really the U.S. Most boxing commissions in North America and Europe do not allow the use of elbow attacks to the head. What do you think about this?

Benny Urquidez: Well Muay Thai is catching on but obviously they are modifying the Muay Thai. They are taking out the elbows and some are taking out the clinching.

Mike Miles: What are your favorite fight techniques?

Benny Urquidez: I can fight southpaw or orthodox. I can kick you with either leg, I can jump with either leg or I can hit you with either hand. I can do just as much damage with any of them. Everyone knows me for my jumping back kick. It is because it does a lot of damage and I am accurate with it. As far as I am concerned there is no limit to me. I can use any weapon be it elbows, knees, clinching. To me I do not care.

Mike Miles: Who is your favorite fighter or fighters right now?

Benny Urquidez: I look for champions that are good role models. For instance, a certain heavyweight champion is one guy I would never turn on the television and let my students watch. He is a bad example of a role model and a champion. Pete Cunningham is flashy, he has good kicks and good techniques, and on top of that he is a gentleman. He speaks well on camera. He does not cuss. It is guys like him who are important for our youngsters to see. It is good for kids to say, "Gosh, I would like to be like him." He does not talk bad about anybody and he talks with a lot of good spirit. He always has good to say to everyone and he is not jealous or envious of anyone.

Mike Miles: Back to the true spirit of the Martial Arts!

Benny Urquidez: Yeah, that is it!

Mike Miles: What do you think you have gained the most out of Kickboxing?

Benny Urquidez: The Martial Arts taught me to be a good team player. It taught me discipline. It taught me good sportsmanship. It gave me peace of mind. It was a great release of frustrations and anxieties. It released all of that negative out of me and kept all the goodness in me. It grounded me in my way of life from when I woke up until I went to sleep. It taught me good rules. It taught me to walk with pride and a lot of excitement and that there is a lot of beauty in the world. It offers people a good way of life.

Mike Miles: Can you tell us a little about the Jet Center?

Benny Urquidez: It is a very unique place because you have so many countries training here. We have seventeen countries training here. It has become a place where people have come to test themselves and make their dreams come true. It is a place to test their skills and ability and to test their emotions under pressure. It is a sanctuary to a lot of people here. All we have here is to share and a lot of love and the truth. There is only black and white in the truth. We do not care what color, what language, or nationality anyone is because everybody is the same. I do not care if you have a little money or a lot of money, you are treated the same way here. A lot of people who come here do not even speak English. A universal language is a physical language.

Mike Miles: How do you feel about your "death match" that you had in Hong Kong in the early 1980's?

Benny Urquidez: We had a fight tour throughout the Orient and Australia. I was scheduled to fight a man in Hong Kong (Kong Fu Tak). As we started fighting I was starting to bang this Chinese fighter around and I kept waiting for the referee to stop the fight. Finally, my opponents face was so broken up and swollen that the referee stopped and said he was not going to have anything more to do with the fight. The fight was stopped and then I learned afterwards that the fight had been announced as a death match. My opponent spent months in the hospital with his face healing up.

Mike Miles: That fight had a negative backlash for Kickboxing in Hong Kong. After that bout, Kickboxing was banned in Hong Kong for years. Years later the Hong Kong Authorities made it mandatory to fight with head gear and chest pads.

Benny Urquidez: That is unfortunate.

Mike Miles: How do you feel about your upcoming fight with Tagami?

Benny Urquidez: I am really quite excited. Like I said, I am going in there for the right reasons. He is definitely a very worthy opponent. We are going to play a physical game of chess. I am looking forward to it.

Mike Miles: Do you have any predictions about the fight?

Benny Urquidez: I never predict because I am going into the ring for one thing, to play a good game of chess. I want to give the people what they came for which is a show. I am going to give them my best. I am there to give the glory to God. It is his glory while I am in there and win or lose, it is for him. That is my foundation mentally, physically and spiritually.

Mike Miles: I had Tagami's coach up here with some of his fighters a short while ago. He was very respectful to you saying you were a little older but you were very strong. He had mentioned he would have liked to see the fight go with knees. How do you feel about that?

Benny Urquidez: To tell you the truth I just go by the rules. You see that is the only way that I can call myself a World Champion. If someone says they are a World Champion in my division I say "let's go". I will beat you at your own rules and in your own back yard. Whatever, it does not matter.

Mike Miles: Is there anything you would like to add about this fight?

Benny Urquidez: It is not a do or die type of thing. It is not the U.S. against Japan. I just want to give the audience a good show. On the street I fight to defend myself but in the ring I perform. Whatever happens, happens. I have trained and done my homework and we will see when we get into the ring.

Mike Miles: Is there anything you would like to add into this interview?

Benny Urquidez: You have to do this thing for the right reason. You have to do it for the love of the sport. For the competition aspect of it. It is exciting. You have to understand that it hurts. You have to love it to keep coming back and working at it. It teaches you about yourself and how to control your emotions and your fears. It will teach you that you do not have to prove or show yourself to anybody. If you have to defend yourself or your loved ones that is a different story. If you have to hype yourself up that you are going to kill him in the ring you are going in there with fear. You do not belong in the ring if you have to hype yourself.

Mike Miles: I will be at the fight and I will be in the front row wishing you all the best.

Benny Urquidez: Terrific! Take care and I will see you there.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Benny "te jet" Urquidez - 11/07/06 03:11 AM

Quote:

Mike Miles: Narongnoi is now an extremely wealthy businessman in Bangkok. Fighting is their way out of poverty to buy land and farm it for themselves and their families. Fighting means money to them.

Benny Urquidez: Yeah!? Where as for me I do it as a sport.

Urquidez's response tells the story here. If the losses in question were exhibition matches, having no context to his competetive career, then he is entitled to maintain his 'unbeaten' record.
If a Boxing champ gets flash KO'd by a sparring partner in training, does it show on his record? Of course not. Did he 'lose' to his oponent? of course he did. this stuff happens all the time- Ramon Dekker got spanked by a Savateur a few years back, but I doubt that shows on his record either, as it was an exhibition, like the above.

I think its a bit late in the day to get your pants in a twist about a fighter who retired over a decade ago.

Whatever way you cut it, he earned his place in MA history, and adding 1 or 2 losses to his stats would not diminish his contribution anyway.

Chill dude

Re: Benny "te jet" Urquidez - 11/07/06 03:53 AM

Oh thats not my statement up top, it's from some random guy who downloaded a MMA dvd torrent and left that as a comment. I found the response for it and posted both the comment and response by Benny.

Enjoy
Posted by: MikeChaff

Re: Benny "te jet" Urquidez - 11/07/06 05:23 AM

Did Benny really never ever lose? Does it really matter? I know some of you people on the web are rabid about discrediting those who have solid, impressive reputations, apparently just for the sport of it. People who call Benny the Jet a liar because he says he never lost a fight, or they call Jackie Chan a liar because he doesn't really do all his own stunts, or whatever. To these people I say, where are your achievements? Have you no better use for your time than to cast scorn over those more reknowned than yourself?
I am not saying that Benny did or didn't ever lose. I'm saying it doesn't matter. His reputation as the unbeatable, ultimate fighter may be a myth, but it is an inspirational myth, and it has a good base of fact behind it. You may not be able to prove that he won every fight in his life, but the stats do show that he won a hell of a lot of them.
Leave off Benny.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Benny "te jet" Urquidez - 11/07/06 06:46 AM

All I can say is thank GOD that the martial arts community has move far beyond the old PKA days!

-John
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: Benny "te jet" Urquidez - 11/07/06 07:27 AM

He is still in my top 5 of the "Baddest Boys on the Planet" list. He is an intelligent fighter with a huge arsenal of talents. For years now he has worked with Gene Lebell and Gokor Chivichian on his grappling skills. Like he needed more skills?

Scottie
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Benny "te jet" Urquidez - 11/07/06 07:35 AM

Let's remember that at the time, the PKA and other kickboxing organizations were the UFC of the time. Full contact kickboxing is a very tough sport in it's own right, despite being surpassed by the MMA competitions of today.

And Benny, regardless of his possible record questions, was one of the top fighters of his day.
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: Benny "te jet" Urquidez - 11/07/06 08:28 AM

Quote:

And Benny, regardless of his possible record questions, was one of the top fighters of his day.

Of all time. He is the longest reigning champion of any professional sport ever.

Scottie
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Benny "te jet" Urquidez - 11/07/06 12:39 PM

I completely agree Razorfoot, Urquidez was just brilliant. I'd say he was the Ali of kickboxing. You can't compare him to a UFC fighter, at the end of the day he fought in the most realistic way that he could, bearing in mind he had to come back with some money. He showed that he was happy to fight under different rule sets, the mark of a great all-round fighter. And his spinning back kick, 'nuff said
Posted by: gojuwarrior1

Re: Benny "te jet" Urquidez - 11/07/06 04:57 PM

Speaking of benny , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhXwPQU1iNo

the best!
Posted by: MikeChaff

Re: Benny "te jet" Urquidez - 11/07/06 05:06 PM

Quote:

the best!

The best indeed my friend. They don't make movies like that any more.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Benny "te jet" Urquidez - 11/07/06 05:12 PM

I had heard the name a few times in passing but never really knew what he looked like till I seen this. Then I realized I had seen him elsewhere such as Bloodmatch. Knowing how short Jackie Chan is, I did not realize he was also this short. Not a bad "B" Martial Art Scene plus had a comical side to it.

I'm a big fan of Gladiator (1992, James Marshall, Cuba Gooding Jr, Brian Dennehy & Robert Loggia). I've watched this an upteenth amount of times. Next time I watch this I'm going to be looking for Benny as one of the spectators.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Benny "te jet" Urquidez - 11/07/06 05:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

the best!

The best indeed my friend. They don't make movies like that any more.

THANK GOD for THAT

-John
Posted by: app34

Re: Benny "te jet" Urquidez - 04/26/08 05:18 PM

benny the liar urquidez says in his interview with mike miles that the fight with sitiboonlert was a five round exhibition with no weigh in. the fight was shown from beginning to the end of the fight which clearly lasted two rounds and you can see the ref approach benny's corner right before prayout lifted his hands in victory which means benny's corner verbally threw in the towel. benny lost this fight. p.s. benny never fought under muay thai rules{elbows as well as knees}.

Re: Benny "te jet" Urquidez - 04/26/08 05:29 PM

blah

Re: Benny "te jet" Urquidez - 04/26/08 05:33 PM

blah blah

supremor - 04/26/08 05:48 PM

blah blah blah

the diamond the turbine from hell - 04/26/08 06:02 PM

blah blah blah blah.

Basic synopsis - MT rules, Benny drools.

All of which could have been put in one post. dont make me give you flood control. have a nice day. Cord.
Posted by: MattJ

pointless necro - 04/26/08 07:51 PM

You pull up a 2 year old thread to slag a retired fighter? Why don't you go tell Benny this to his face.

The man was a phenomenal martial artist, even if you count his exhibition losses. Grow up and get over it.
Posted by: VDJ

Re: pointless necro - 04/26/08 10:13 PM

Quote:

You pull up a 2 year old thread to slag a retired fighter? Why don't you go tell Benny this to his face.

The man was a phenomenal martial artist, even if you count his exhibition losses. Grow up and get over it.

Thanks Matt, exactly what I was thinking !

VDJ

Re: pointless necro - 04/27/08 03:33 PM

vdj& matt
it might be old to you but, this topic has resurfaced at the gym where i train. you're both right about benny being a phenom. patrick roy was a phenom as well. niether of them are perfect.p.s if the topic came up and benny was there{apart from my insults}i would tell him exactly what i think. there are at least to former pro kickboxers at my gym that mentioned not only benny the jet but, don wilson as also having lost fights but, not accepting it as facts.
Posted by: trevek

Re: pointless necro - 04/27/08 03:50 PM

The topic might be valid but your insults aren't. The thing is, were you there at the fight or has your "knowledge" been steered by someone with agenda.

As has been mentioned, the question is not so much whether he won or lost but whether they were "official" fights which would show on his competitive record.

Re: pointless necro - 04/27/08 07:54 PM

"vdj& matt
it might be old to you but, this topic has resurfaced at the gym where i train."

So why come to this board and ressurect an old thread ? Why not just debate it at your gym?

VDJ

Re: pointless necro - 04/27/08 08:11 PM

trevek
because benny claimed never to have been knocked out yet the prayout fight proves otherwise. i agree that i crossed the line with the insults, however i can pretty much guarantee that the person{s} that i got my info from have other things far more important to worry about besides a has been fighters's questionable record. others on this board brought up the point that back then sanctioning and rankings were often unclear since people like benny and hoost pioneered the bridge between north america and asia, so if that is the case then you cannot count benny's record as being accurate wether he won or lost.
vdj
why not? this is a discussion board on combat sports.
Posted by: Zach_Zinn

Re: pointless necro - 04/27/08 08:36 PM

You're in the "martial arts talk" section of the forum, ressurecting an old thread.

Maybe starting a new thread in the MT/Boxing/KB forum would be more appropriate?

Re: pointless necro - 04/28/08 08:30 AM

"vdj
why not? this is a discussion board on combat sports"

How about the thread was no longer a point of contention (the last post before yours was 11/7/06) and it was only being debated in your gym !

VDJ

Re: pointless necro - 04/29/08 06:31 AM

You miss the point. Benny is talking about his professional competitive record. He claims the alleged defeats were part of exhibition matches.

Now, it might be that to a Thai fighter there is no such thing as an 'exhibition' fight (I don't know what the cultural view of this is, I'm not trying to be insulting to Thais) but it seems as far as Benny is concerned these wer not competitive matches and so do not register on his record.

An example could be if a world champion boxer fought in UFC and lost then it wouldn't register on his professional BOXING record. As a boxer he could still claim to be undefeated. IF these fights were unsanctioned as cometition bouts by whichever bodies Benny competed with then he can rightfully claim to be 'undefeated'.

Semantics and double-talk perhaps, but I'm sure that Thai fighters also play such games.

Re: pointless necro - 04/29/08 01:18 PM

trevek
i can read between the lines, and i promise you if you go to the interview with mike miles and benny the jet, the way benny describes himself not just his fight record, you can clearly see that he claims never to have been knocked out. exhibition or not, if you say you have never been knocked out period, that is not the same as saying you have an undefeated record.

Re: pointless necro - 04/29/08 04:02 PM

OK, whatever. It doesn't make me lose sleep.