http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GjU393JPCE&mode=related&search=
INSANE MARTIAL ARTS!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfQx6LPdxUg&mode=related&search=
Posted by: oldman

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 10/19/06 11:32 PM

I actually know some of those guys
Posted by: BrianS

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 10/20/06 11:15 AM

I don't think I'd want to train with Osborne...Yikes!!
Posted by: MattJ

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 10/20/06 11:48 AM

No kidding. Kyoshi Roy Osborne should be in jail for abusing his students. That is shameful. What an ass.

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 10/20/06 11:51 AM

Thats what REAL karate looks like candy pants.

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 10/20/06 11:53 AM

Indeed. I will be training with him soon, and hope to earn my black neck-brace very quickly.

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 10/20/06 01:24 PM

Hi! Let me show you something with your full cooperation. WHAM!! Someone help him up please.WHAM! Everyone see it that time? All I did was this WHAM!!.

Who wouldn't give good money for that kind of instruction. I'm afraid I'd be tempted to try and hurt him back.

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 10/20/06 01:34 PM

My instructor would knock us out from time to time showing us pressure points,but that can't be good to be knocked out over and over like that.
Posted by: harlan

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 10/20/06 01:43 PM

Must be tax forgiveness day. Victor...did you actually doublepost a topic?

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 10/20/06 01:50 PM

One Negative point For Victor for Double Posting

One Negative point for Snitching

Lucky for both of you it is a Tax Holiday
Posted by: harlan

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 10/20/06 01:53 PM

TGIF!
Posted by: schanne

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 10/20/06 02:25 PM

OMG that has to be one of the funnest clips yet. His poor uke just keeps getting hammered and them Mr Osborne massages his stricking points like he is some type of doctor......ok your all better now... WACK, down he goes again!
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 10/20/06 02:30 PM

Oldman, A senior moment. I forgot I posted these yesterday here. Unlike some so named I'm really getting old. But if you want me to pay, you have to come and get it....

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 10/20/06 02:43 PM

Victor,
With any luck one day you will have the opportunity to pay me back for my
transgressions of Forum decorum.

Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 10/20/06 02:57 PM

yeah but can Roy Osborne score points in competition with those techniques? thats really the important thing.

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 10/20/06 02:58 PM

In the big picture I'm more concerned about Kim's North Korean Guards.... or the speed of the Chinese, or their great song Kung Fu Fighting....
Posted by: Xibalba

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 10/20/06 03:17 PM

Quote:

Kyosho Seminar with Kyoshi Roy Osborne
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8u0YclB-XQ

Wow. That Osborne guy is a jerk.

Also, check out the poor terrified looking kid in the background. He is behind Osborne, to the right. I know the video is grainy, but the kid looks pretty scared of what he is seeing. I would be too, as a matter of fact. I have been the demo-dummy for some hard hitters before, but this guy's negligence takes the cake.

Or maybe I am just a pansy.

Mike
Posted by: Isshinryukid4life

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 10/20/06 08:45 PM

I Guess,when Osborne had gotten a non-resistant partner,It was he's chance to be a Grandiose instructor.

PS Congrats to Roy Osborne,For winning the most incompetent Instructor of the year award 2006.

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 10/20/06 10:45 PM

Here it is a chance for the trifecta. 3 points to the first member who can tell me the name of the one of the man in the previous videos who has hit me. Part two of the question, was I knocked out?
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 10/21/06 12:29 AM

It was Kyoshi Osborne, in the library, with a candlestick.

Posted by: Dereck

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 10/21/06 05:05 AM

Dag-gone-it Ed ... you sank my battleship.

On another note ... wow ... when does the guy you continually gets thundered to the neck say enough is enough? He must not have much upstairs or he is acting!!!!
Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 10/21/06 07:48 AM

This sort of hits affect the nervous system; there has to be some long term damage. That's why people used to train on wooden dummies with marked points. Its the sign of the times. People are so used to Hollywood dramatics that a wooden dummy just wouldn't do it any more.
Posted by: Isshinryukid4life

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 10/21/06 08:22 AM

Dillman,& if it were Dillman,There's a 99.999999999999% that you were knocked out.

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 10/21/06 01:42 PM

Nope not osborne or dillman. Though he did appear in a dillman book.

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 10/21/06 04:38 PM

Quote:

Here it is a chance for the trifecta. 3 points to the first member who can tell me the name of the one of the man in the previous videos who has hit me. Part two of the question, was I knocked out?

Sensei Iramahlo and no you were not completly ko'd.
Posted by: Tsuruken

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 10/21/06 05:47 PM

I don't wish to get into a flame war but hitting someone like that is plain dangerous from a TCM point of view and from a moral point of view as an instructor.
Posted by: eyrie

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 10/21/06 07:50 PM

Tom Muncy? No?

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 10/21/06 08:41 PM

noop.
Posted by: Spade

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 10/22/06 12:34 PM

Bruce Wayne?
Posted by: johnb

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 12/10/06 10:10 AM

I really hope you are kidding about the tournament crack. This is real karate and Kyoshi Osborne is one of the best martial artist around. I have been with him for 19 years and have never been injured. This is what karate on Okinawa used to be like
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 12/10/06 10:23 AM

How many other styles have you trained in that you can compare his MA to real Okinawan Karate?
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 12/10/06 10:51 AM

19 years huh? so you were probably around in the New Orleans days when he and others (perhaps yourself) used to give homeless guys a little money and some food in exchange for practicing on them!

This is NOT an example of true Okinawan Karate! It is an example of of an ignorant, mean little man's twisted interpretation of karate

Page

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 12/10/06 11:42 AM

I have studied Isshinryu where I reached the level of san dan. I began training with Sensei Osborne when he first came to Michigan in 1987 and have been with him since. From your comments I can see that you are of the commercial karate groups and really have no idea of what true karate and it's applications are all about. You can say what you wish about the man I KNOW different. This in my opinion is just an example of basic commercial karate refusung to see and recignize that there is so much more to it that what they have learned and really wish to remain ignorant to what is really out there. For to do this they have to admit they really don't know much. I have seen this countless times over the years and I know of what I speak!!!!
Posted by: JoelM

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 12/10/06 11:59 AM

John, you might want to do some research before you go around telling people what type of karate they study and what type of teaching/learning they do.

They video in question has been removed from youtube, but it was of Mr. Osbourne very violently knocking a student out/to the ground multiple time and in rapid succession. Are you of the mind that this is how karate is to be trained? Do you think that this would cause permanent damage?

Welcome to the boards. Play nice.

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 12/10/06 12:53 PM

I responded the way I did because these people saw a segment of a video and began to make judgements about a man they clearly know nothing about. The tape was done as a demonstration and does not reflect the practices of daily training. I was even the uke for Sensei Osborne's Naihanchi tape. It was a long and painful day but I suffered no ill or lasting effect. When these techniques are done properly there is no ill effect. And believe me Sensei Osborne was not hitting any where nearly as hard as he could have. You have to understand what is going on physiologically to appreciate how these techniques work. Through Sensei osborne I have learned what he calls Okinawan medicine. This includes herbal remedies as well as a type of massage to ensure there is no lasting effect and to help heal injuries. Not being one who simply takes someone's word for things I have researched this quite extensively with medical proffesionals ranging from chiropractors to nuerologists and surgeons. I do know what I am talking about. These tapes you see are not what transpires on a regular basis in Sensei Osborne's class. In regards to the brutality that some have commented on Sensei Osborne took a lot worse when he was training in Okinawa than what he dishes out. You said I should research things before making comments OK fine but that also goes to the one's that are making judgements on Sensei Osborne while viewing a few minutes of a film. You too should find out what you are talking about before making such comments.

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 12/10/06 02:33 PM

I saw enough from that video to make up my mind. I stand by my comments.
Posted by: Saisho

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 12/10/06 04:00 PM

Quote:

Not being one who simply takes someone's word for things I have researched this quite extensively with medical proffesionals ranging from chiropractors to nuerologists and surgeons. I do know what I am talking about.

Not to sound disrespectful, but just because you have talked to some professionals does not mean you know what you are talking about. Were these professionals just willing to sit down and talk with you? What is your medical or anatomical/physiological background? I am in the field and I think that this type of practice is excessive. Just because you can make someone feel better after you hurt them, does not mean the act of hurting them does not cause lasting effects (regardless of whether you feel like they did). Nerve insults and strikes to the head can build upon each other.
Posted by: BuDoc

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 12/10/06 05:30 PM

Let me be perfectly clear about a few things:

1. My opinions regarding Roy were formed long before you-tube existed. They were formed during first hand, personal experience. I too have video (approxiamtely 12 hours worth) of Roy. Much of it I filmed myself.

2. Defense of your Sensei is admirable, and expected. Especially against attacks from a bunch of unknowns. However, please bear this in mind: Roy has been around a long time. There are people that know him!

3. My Karate has been called alot of things over the years. "Commercial" has never been one of them.

Regards,

Christian Page

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 12/12/06 03:20 PM

You have deftly circled my question. I ask again:

Quote:

How many other styles have you trained in that you can compare his MA to real Okinawan Karate?

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 12/12/06 08:59 PM

As I have said I studied Isshinryu for quite a number of years, a little TKD as well as Okinawan Kempo. Through Sensei Osborne I have studied Shorinjiryu, a little Matsumura Seiti as well as some white crane. I have attended seminars with Joe Lewis, as well as seminars sponsored by USKA under master Trias. I even studied Toyamaryu Iado with Sensei John Viol.
Posted by: Unsu

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 12/13/06 04:45 AM

Quote:

As I have said I studied Isshinryu for quite a number of years, a little TKD as well as Okinawan Kempo. Through Sensei Osborne I have studied Shorinjiryu, a little Matsumura Seiti as well as some white crane. I have attended seminars with Joe Lewis, as well as seminars sponsored by USKA under master Trias. I even studied Toyamaryu Iado with Sensei John Viol.

Master Trias, huh? Wow. Joe Lewis is a kickboxer. He was a Nidan in Shorinji Ryu. Good karate guy and fighter. A seminar huh? Wow.

Isshin Ryu is a good system -IF- you had a good shinshi. There are quite a few bad Isshin Ryu schools, just like with any MA.

So you also studied Matsumura SeitO? Would you consider that "commercial" karate? Hell naw'! BuDoc is a Matsumura Seito person. He KNOWS real karate, so now you owe him an apology for assuming before you knew what the deal was.

Look Kyusho is a real thing on Japan and especially in Japanese Jujutsu. On Okinawa the more common term is tuite or tuidi or even torite an aspect of Ti training. That name alone, Kyusho JUTSU, should give it away. It's become fashionable to try and salvage crappy karate (most of it out there) by jumping on the old style Okinawan karate bandwagon. It's a great niche market approach, bro.

I studied with arguably one of the last real deal American Matsumura Seito Sui-Di Shinshi, Ron Lindsey. He knows the real story about how Dillman got his knowledge of PPs. He was a student of Hohan Soken, Fusei Kise, Yabiku Takaya, Yuichi Kuda and Sezan Kinjo. He was given his Shihan license by Hohan Soken, Kise Fusei and Yuichi Kuda. He was the president for both Kenshinkan USA and Matsumura Seito Shorin Ryu Kenpo Worldwide headed by founder Yuichi Kuda. He has been doing Matsumura Seito nonstop for 40 years now. He probably helped create the crane forms you supposedly know. Now who is this Osborn guy? Exactly...

Your so-called kyusho is one small aspect of Okinawan karate training. There is a lot more grappling, closed fist punching and the use of tanren to set up multiple upper and lower level techniques than there is single pressure point strikes. The jodan atemi waza Osborn was demonstrating are present in many Okinawan ryuha, but they are not the emphasis or basis for an entire style.

What those carotid sinus strikes do is change the blood pressure in special baroreceptors (pressure receptors) in your neck, in effect causing syncope or what lay people call "fainting". Use of a carotid massage, a mild stroking of one carotid artery is sometimes used in modern medicine to slow down a patient's fast heartbeat. It can cause fainting.

Let's talk about why folks are up in arms about this guy. It's alright to get wet when learning to swim, but to blatantly strike someone's carotid artery multiple times or punch them in the solar plexus full force without warning is just unethical to many on here. He is not fighting resisting opponents and he is taking advantage of compliant students by forcibly striking them hard enough to effect a K.O., often over and over. You know anticipation, fear and adrenaline as well as the power of suggestion can do a number on your sympathetic nervous system. "Fight or Flight" goes into effect. Sometimes a fighter flees even if that means caving in on the spot when there is no place or time to run.

It really doesn't matter if they are knocked out due to anxiety or from trauma. Getting knocked out multiple times is never good long term. Your brain needs oxygen or brain cells quickly die off. What's more disturbing is the fact that striking the carotid artery which supplies half the blood supply to the brain, can cause tunica damage, injury to the artery itself, causing a clot and possibly a stroke now or later in life. Dim-frikkin-'Mak! Heeheehee.

So don't assume that you have a bunch of snot nosed poo-butts on all these sites. Some of us, myself included have been doing classical and nonclassical MAs for 2 decades or more. We aren't going to dismiss it, IF the consensus opinion is that it is valid. I think the consensus opinion here is that kyusho might work in some instances, but it is not a real jutsu per se. It's one aspect of the MAs of some systems. Plus your shinshi is going around hitting everyone with a good deal of force without having any true osteopathic, allopathic or allied health career training which would give him any idea what kind of potential damage he could be causing.

There are no shortcuts or panaceas in karate training. After years of diligent practice under a good teacher in a good system you should be better off than when you first started. A complete system doesn't half-step. Dillman has already proven to the world over and over that his understanding of what "kyusho" is for, is ineffective against people outside of his circleof influence. Stephen Bonner and others proved this in Chi-town on the local news and on the the National Geographic channel. Dillman could do nothing with his neck strikes except cause a wince.

He claims it was due to the fact that homeboy had one big toe up and one down. Uh-huh....

Hahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!! 'Nuff freaking said bandwagoneers. Yeeehaw!!! Don't K.O. your money sources too much now!

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 12/13/06 10:45 AM

As far as who is Roy Osborne I will tell you. He trained with Fusei Kise in Shorinjiryu before Kise started teaching the crap he does today. He also trained with Hohan Soken, Senseo Oyata, Kanei Uechi and others whos names I do not remember right now. Sensei Osborne has been training in the marial arts for about 54 years now. I really hope that you are not making a judgement on Sensei osborne' karate, ability and knowledge based on a few minutes of a tape. There is much more that just Kyusho points and his karate is not solely based on them. As far as Me I know where I have been, where I am and where I am going. As far as Sensei Osborne, he has seen the posts here and his response is " they do not know the ways of Shorinji". Have whatever opinions you wish I know where the truth lays and am very happy with what I am doing, Best of luck to you.

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 12/13/06 11:06 AM

Well, as long as you're happy to accept your truth...

I'm glad to hear that you did try other martial arts systems and continue to. Have you ever trained in Okinawa? If not, if you come across an opportunity to do so you should. I hear it's quite an interesting place.

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 12/13/06 12:15 PM

john,

As I started this thread sharing some video clips, I think your question, "I really hope that you are not making a judgement on Sensei osborne' karate, ability and knowledge based on a few minutes of a tape.", can best be framed in that the issue isn't about his ability or knowledge, it's about his judgment. Performing multiple stikes to the carotid sinus on the same un-resisting individual.

I truly hope he is as knowledgeable as you suggest.

It's just that what was demonstrated is not sound use of technique, from a medical and a moral perspective. I fully understand Unsu's comments, they are echoed by a surgeon in my group. I understand there is a theory that there is no harm in using the carotid sinus strike in training. Unfortunately some of us do not hold that as true.

If that is a requisite of his advanced study, there then is a question about it's value.

After all nobody here made him prove what happens when a neck is repeated struck, many of us are well aware of what happens from such impact.

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 12/13/06 12:32 PM

Quote:

" they do not know the ways of Shorinji"

Apparently Shorinji does not translate to mean either,

"Medicine"

or

"Common sense"

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 12/13/06 12:43 PM

Re: For the thrill of a lifetime take martial arts - 12/13/06 12:44 PM

Unsu,

You really know your stuff and that pi$$e$ me off!!