Boobishi Update/ Question

Posted by: oldman

Boobishi Update/ Question - 10/15/06 07:56 PM

Folks,
As of this afternoon, the boobishi plods on. As I have mentioned I plan to use it for my third dan thesis. To date I have completed over 300 illustration of the 5 Pinan, Heian, Pyung An kata.

So far the project is without text, by choice.

The manuscript is laid out in this fashion.

5 chapters.

Each chapter has

1. A title page.

2. A sequential set of illustrations of the form.

3. Illustraions of applications against Habitual acts of violence.

I could use your opinions. I think the work can stand on it's own without text. Do you feel that it would be necessary to have an introduction or an additional chapter to introduce the material. What would you like or need to see to make the book most compellng/ interesting or helpfull.

Thanks

oldman
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Boobishi Update/ Question - 10/15/06 08:23 PM

thanks for the update!

I think it'd be interesting to either have a 'forward' or 'authors note' kindof deal...with perhaps a short blurb of how your artwork and martial art converged to make the book. also perhaps mention a short ditty about the real bubishi. and then make sure you give your thanks to "some guy named Ed". lol j/k

[add]oh, and make sure you reference Pat McCarthy's HAOV work if you mention that source. "Habitual Acts of Violence" is practically (but arguably) a copywritten phrase.

Re: Boobishi Update/ Question - 10/15/06 08:35 PM

Ed,
It's funny you should mention the aknowledgment. A friend of mind just had his first book, a graphic novel published by Dark Horse publishing. He did a great job with it. I bought a copy of it and while browsing saw the aknowlegements. My name was conspicuously absent. I was like WTF!!!! I embarrassed to admit I'm still peaved about it.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Boobishi Update/ Question - 10/15/06 08:46 PM

Tough call re: text or no. I would almost be inclined to say no text, but I guess it depends on who you think the demographic for the book is. Beginners might need text, but more advanced folks will be able to "get it" without.
Posted by: eyrie

Re: Boobishi Update/ Question - 10/15/06 09:19 PM

Best to speak with a publisher and get their opinion.
Posted by: tkd_high_green

Re: Boobishi Update/ Question - 10/15/06 09:53 PM

Maybe each graphic could have a short caption that could serve the same purpose. Perhaps, if you display an example with and without text we could give better advice.

Laura

Re: Boobishi Update/ Question - 10/15/06 10:11 PM

Laura,
I'm not considering adding text with the images only in a previous chapter or intro. Eyrie I am considering producing it myself. That could be a whole other discussion... self publication vs. finding a publisher.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Posted by: eyrie

Re: Boobishi Update/ Question - 10/15/06 10:16 PM

If you're going down the self-publishing route, then I would say let the illustrations speak for themselves.

Re: Boobishi Update/ Question - 10/15/06 10:22 PM

I do have some sources that I am looking into. My Judo instructor has both self published and had work published by turtle press. He has provided me with a source for printing and his editors contact info. Even so, I find you guys help me think of things when I put something out there. One of Victors comments stuck with me. It was the phrase "Vanity press" I believe. Any other thoughts Victor?
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Boobishi Update/ Question - 10/15/06 11:13 PM

Quote:

I think it'd be interesting to either have a 'forward' or 'authors note' kindof deal...with perhaps a short blurb of how your artwork and martial art converged to make the book.

I agree with that. A short blurb in the beginning, but let the action speak for the rest.

Blurb-Come on, how often do you get to use that word?

Re: Boobishi Update/ Question - 10/15/06 11:22 PM

new idea: instead of a 'blog'...I present, 'The Blurb'.

...which would be like a blog, except much shorter, more interesting and with a point.

The Blurb
oct 12, 2006 - Ate toast today, opted for whole wheat.

oct 13, 2006 - Car caught fire, I didn't die but today sucked.

oct 14, 2006 - Was thinking about my childhood, then decided not to.

sorry, on topic:
oldman, have you thought about 'naming' the techniques like they did in the bubishi? names like:
"Monkey steals peach"
"Closing castle gates"
"Serpent holds pearl"
etc...
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Boobishi Update/ Question - 10/15/06 11:34 PM

Posted by: Dereck

Re: Boobishi Update/ Question - 10/16/06 12:44 AM

I think whatever you decide on will be best for this Mark. I've enjoyed looking at these and would certainly buy a copy as they are not only easy to understand but very entertaining. Most certainly you should have a section in the back with a short write up about yourself and how this character came into existance. Talk about your inspirations and what can be looked forward to in the future. I do like the idea of naming the move so that a person can become familiar with it. And I also find it best to reference where you've gotten information which you could do in small text at the bottom of the pictures or referenced in the back.

Two thumbs up.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Boobishi Update/ Question - 10/16/06 04:26 AM

I'd go with a text introduction to explain what your goals were when creating this collection of techniques and what you think of the whole concept. Just your thoughts basically. Of course, I just like to pry into other people's thoughts about this sort of thing.
Posted by: schanne

Re: Boobishi Update/ Question - 10/16/06 07:58 AM

Oldman, it pretty much speaks for itself although...it would be nice to see some text at the bottom of each illustration to simply explain the bunkai. Personally I would keep it simple as possible without complicating things. I will buy your book soon as it come out.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Boobishi Update/ Question - 10/16/06 08:02 AM

Been there. I was asked for advice/feedback on a PSA (Public Service Announcement). The person balked at my ideas to streamline the video, and make it a better presentation. Later, I discovered that he took all my ideas (not little ones, mind you...they drastically improved the quality of the PSA)...and he won an ACE award for it.

Of course, nowhere in the credits did he mention my contribution. Doesnt' say much for his character. Lesson learned: I don't give out ideas without payment.

Quote:

Ed,
It's funny you should mention the aknowledgment. A friend of mind just had his first book, a graphic novel published by Dark Horse publishing. He did a great job with it. I bought a copy of it and while browsing saw the aknowlegements. My name was conspicuously absent. I was like WTF!!!! I embarrassed to admit I'm still peaved about it.

Posted by: ButterflyPalm

Re: Boobishi Update/ Question - 10/16/06 08:05 AM

I think younger readers will appreciate the 'balloons' with the 'argh...ohh!!....eeehhh...' coming out of the what...'uke?'

Other than that, a 99.99% true account of your MA background and credentials is necessary; otherwise it may not be treated seriously and you definitely need to tell readers from which kata/form/set a particular application comes from so as to provide some fodder for future FA Forum "discussions"

In the event that you do need to expand your Preface into any advanced technical aspects of the subject matter, you are hereby declared to be at full liberty to use all or any material whether in text, pictorial or photographic form posted by me on this or any other Forum without fear of any legal recourse by me or my estate. A simple but sincere acknowledgement will do nicely.

Oh yes, copying from one source without acknowledgement is plagiarism, but from many sources is research

Re: Boobishi Update/ Question - 10/16/06 12:34 PM

As mentioned above, I think it will depend on the audience.
Without text, you are committing to a more advanced audience, although I think anyone will be able to enjoy it, just based on the expressions on your characters.

Perhaps if you take the suggestion of naming each sequence, you could provide an appendix or devote a page on your blog for each sequence, which could go into further detail, variations, and invite further contributions from your audience.

When you finish, please let us know, I already have several people I think would enjoy this. Any chance it will be done before Christmas?

Laura

Re: Boobishi Update/ Question - 10/16/06 12:44 PM

As they say "A farts chance in a windstorm".

I will have it done by the 27th. I will be putting together 5 copies for the masters of my org for testing. It will be very interesting to hear their opinions on it.

After that... we'll see.

Re: Boobishi Update/ Question - 10/16/06 12:46 PM

The 27'th of this month? or December?

Laura

Re: Boobishi Update/ Question - 10/16/06 01:34 PM

This month.
Posted by: bo-ken

Re: Boobishi Update/ Question - 10/16/06 10:39 PM

I am glad the book is going well. I want a copy.

As for text I would have a chapart as to why you wrote it. Maybe reasons why or why you like kata. I don't know its your book but I don't mind reading about karate so the more the better.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: Boobishi Update/ Question - 10/17/06 10:31 AM

Hello Oldman:

I have a ~decent~ sized library of martial arts materials. Given the context of your work, a minimalist title of the particular kata on the page should suffice, I would think. If you want to imitate the Bubishi by all means give the sequences the maddeningly flowery titles, but if so, perhaps an interpretative caption of that title might be insightful? Or reverse them, Explaination done big with the flowery done smaller in captions beneath?

Ratti & Westbrook did the only good drawings of meaningful consequence that I can think of. The "Which Way to the Dojo" book was satire/comedy as was David Ree's book "My Technique Is Unstoppable". But as far as I can remember the only published drawings with a depthful martial context were the Ratti & Westbrook...

You are among giants and worthy... I too would enjoy a copy, should one become available?

Jeff
Posted by: iaibear

Re: Boobishi Update/ Question - 10/17/06 10:38 AM

I would like a copy, too. Please.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Boobishi Update/ Question - 10/17/06 10:39 AM

I think you should have a brief outline before each drawing telling what and where each drwaing is taken from.
Explaining about the bubushi and your reasoning behind your research at the beginning would be nice as well.

Re: Boobishi Update/ Question - 10/17/06 10:44 AM

Ratti and Westerbrook have always been an inspiration for me. Step by step. Line by line.

Re: Boobishi Update/ Question - 10/17/06 11:38 AM

Here is an embarassing confession. I have never read anyone's translation of the Bubibshi. I was originally "drawn" to the Bubishi illustrations I saw reproduced in books and websites. It is not a subject or text I have studied and picked apart. My exploration of bunkai began after an aikido group used our dojo for some late evening classes. After they moved on we also had a BJJ group shrare space in our dojo. The deal was the other groups could use our space if our shodans could train with them for free. Sadly I was the only shodan to tmake good of the arrangement.

In time I began to see and feel the similarities in approach and technique. Thats not to say thay are the same but I could look at the karate technique in the kata and see what was there in a way that I could not prior to my exposure to the other arts.

Durig this period I was involved in something at work with a friend we called "The Game". The game consisted of two cartoonist, him and myself drawin the most offesive cartoons of each other imagineable. When I say imagineable what I actually mean is so offensive it would be beyond YOUR imagination! Over 2 years we did close to 3000 drawing of each other. The drawing of him would ultimatly become the images you all have come to be know as Razwell.

This is wher FA comes in. I have always found it almost completely impossible to decifer kata application when using only text. My brain does not work that way. Even worse were my attempts to try to convey what I was learning using text alone. Once I learned how to post pictures I was able to do digital battle with all manner of trolls. This led to the first drawings of techniques using Oldman (my online persona)and the voluptuously man canned Razwell.

So we have the pectorally well endowed Razwell and oldman being used to explore the bunkai in a ways that are both effective communication and brutally funny. Many of you were kind and encouraged me to continue to post and consider publication. I'm pleased taht people have enjoyed them. I made a post at one time wondering why I should go ahaed with the project.
There was one primary reason. For the pleasure of doing it. Yep the pleasure.

So there you Have it.

An accurate history of The Boobishi.

I am indebted to all of you.

Thanks for the continued encouragement.

Re: Boobishi Update/ Question - 10/17/06 11:45 AM

I think I speak for everyone here in saying that we're glad you learned how to post pictures

Laura

Re: Boobishi Update/ Question - 10/17/06 11:49 AM

What better reason to teach others than for the pleasure you get from knowing they will learn?

Keep up the good work!

Re: Boobishi Update/ Question - 10/17/06 11:58 AM

And that I will contiue to learn also.

Re: Boobishi Update/ Question - 10/18/06 07:49 PM

That's a good point. Naturally, teaching and learning go hand in hand. Did it help you learn about these applications by drawing them or did you learn them first then draw them after?
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: Boobishi Update/ Question - 10/18/06 11:18 PM

You should all your buddies on here electronic copies of the book! lol (like me)

Re: Boobishi Update/ Question - 10/19/06 12:05 AM

A good chunk of it is already here.

Re: Boobishi Update/ Question - 02/09/07 12:32 PM

I think I reserved 2 copies...lets see...where was it... here?:

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...part=1&vc=1

or maybe here:

or here?

no, wait...:

any chance my grandkids will see it?

j/k
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Boobishi Update/ Question - 02/09/07 12:59 PM

Stay true to yourself Mark, if you feel it needs no text or would prefer to do i that way then I say go for it. From what you have shown so far, Id say you dont need the text.

A foreward would be good and an about the author in the back. And A title. Thats all the text I think you need anyways.
Posted by: Stormdragon

Re: Boobishi Update/ Question - 02/09/07 04:33 PM

You should post some pieces form "The Game"...