Oldman Naked

Posted by: oldman

Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 12:25 AM

Ahem,
At least it feels that way. After finishing a class my daughter was kind enough to test her new camera on me. What we have here is about 2 minutes of improvisational bagwork with very few kicks. Ed was ballsy enough to put his clip out there so I thought "I've got better hair so why not?" Knowing how kind and encourageing you all are I couldn't wait to get it on YouTube. Keep in mind it was filmed in slow motion with a resisting bag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R47yn9x9Z2c
Posted by: clmibb

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 12:36 AM

Looking overall pretty good. The first couple of kicks you threw you had a little extra hip movement that was telegraphing your technique. The last few kicks I didn't notice it so maybe the first couple it was because the bag was swinging and you needed to adjust. But like I said earlier, overall, pretty good.
Posted by: Fletch1

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 12:48 AM

Sexy.
Posted by: crablord

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 12:52 AM

lol..i thought you were like 80 lmao. You dont look naked to me either
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 12:54 AM

I don't dare make any comments until I get the balls to put up my own video ... which unfortunately I don't have a heavy bag to do it with. I have thought of one for the garage but there are some logistics involved with where to hang it since I have high ceilings. Not sure if you used any elbows or palm heel strikes but I find those are good for working combinations on the bag as well that you might want to think of for later useage. And you are correct, your hair is better then Ed's ... and mine for that matter.

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 12:55 AM

Quote:

lol..i thought you were like 80 lmao. You dont look naked to me either

Thankfully he isn't 80 as I'm sure nobody wants to see a naked 80 year old working his bag.

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 12:56 AM

hahaha - (edit) well since everyone else is doing it I might as well put my own vid up on youtube. Probably nunchucks or something

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 12:57 AM

I'll be 72 tomorrow.

72 and still sexy.

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 12:59 AM

72???!?! bullcrap lol, I thought you were like 30 on the vid. Could be the lighting tho

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 01:01 AM

Quote:

I'll be 72 tomorrow.

72 and still sexy.

From knowing your daughter's ages approximately from pictures over the years that you've shown of your family, perhaps you are 42 at best. Old my butt ... just a kind old soul.

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 01:03 AM

Hes either a really good looking 70 year old, or a really ugly 30 year old , lol just kidding. Your not 70
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 01:15 AM

and here I am thinking no one else would have the bags to do video.

ok, here's my feedback:
good hits - strong punches for a TKD guy
need some more footwork as oppossed to stalking the bag.
more elbow work. it's tricky to find out the angle to hit it with your knee full power, but it's there (and thank-gawd you didn't do a running start knee, drop-kick or reverse head-butt. lol).
watch the elbows winging out (you only did that 1 or 2 times so maybe you were purposely hooking).
don't forget uppercuts (or maybe I missed it or you did them between frames. lol)

good stuff though...oh yeah, one more: get a tripod or tell the person holding the cam to lay off the coffee and soda. also, sound would have been a nice touch.

oldman rocks.

p.s. your hair...looks real, I couldn't even tell.

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 01:36 AM

Ed,
The knees and the side kicks at the end, were enemic. The last 30 seconds or so my daughter was saying..."Daaaad....Daaaaaaaaad
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.....DAD!!!!!!!
Posted by: jonnyboxcutter

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 02:28 AM

I started off reading all the comments first (so I knew what I was getting myself into) and then clicked the link. Now I have to ask - with all this "bag stuff" - What’s in the upper left corner at about the 5-second mark? (please tell me it’s a finger )

-JBC-
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 03:47 AM

Oldman, that's the best guard I've ever seen from anyone who doesn't study primarily boxing! I didn't see a single flaw in your guard and you never let it down once, even when kicking! *is awed*

In my books, that places you at the top of the TKD heap. Everyone who studies TKD could learn from watching that video.

Quote:

good hits - strong punches for a TKD guy

Oh, now I really have to get a video camera and show you a thing or two about how we TKDers punch where I come from.

(Then I've got to find a venue with a heavy bag heavy enough, I can't abide by heavy bags which move around)
Posted by: schanne

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 08:18 AM

Good round kicks and you have a nice butt!
Posted by: harlan

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 08:21 AM

Well...I'm glad you weren't naked!

These personal videos are like...Christmas...to me. Like being a kid, and walking past the window of a store where you could never go in because your parents didn't have the money to buy anything. So, you look, entranced at something you can never have...and just learn to appreciate.

Thanks for the glimpse.

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 08:49 AM

Quote:

So, you look, entranced at something you can never have

what? his ass? lol j/k

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 08:51 AM

Men.
Posted by: Ronin1966

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 09:04 AM

Hello Oldman:

<<<about 2 minutes of improvisational bagwork Knowing how kind and encourageing you all are I couldn't wait

<Profound deeply held bow> (a kneeling bow)[And I thought your cartoons were awesome... sigh...]

A couple things to... consider. Some technical, some not. First regardless of any technique, looks like you could use some more light in there?! A low light practice at night might indeed have been what you were after, kind of enjoying the quiet & dark... could well have been the goal...however, more light might be beneficial? Merely a thought.

Now not quite sure how the video was "slow speed"? I did not see a reduction in frame speed, or any pause in the seeing the techniques... did you mean the film itself or your speed in hitting the bag was merely "deliberate"?

Looked ~deliberate~ (ie purposeful) to me, but again maybe the low light deceived me? As to the techniques thrown, first we have to understand what your goal/s were? Was it simply winding down/up? Were you playing with distances, and closing them? Were you just "letting go" trying to break the bag? All kinds of different possibilities...

Depending on which you were attempting will make a huge difference... (sic. from my worthless perspective anyway).My only question would be the distance factor. It SEEMED you were on the balls of your feet for most of your strikes... if you were ~closing distance~, ok... but if for power, your feet need planting on the floor.

The only other ~observation~ (again rightly/wrongly) you seemed to be hitting the bag almost entirely as it "went away" rather than towards you? Maybe it was the light ? Maybe it was the angles of the camera... I could certainly be wrong! If I'm not consider hitting it as it comes TOWARDS you, rather than making it ~fly away~

Looked potent to me... (and my wife is in love with you )

Jeff
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 09:06 AM

Great job Mark!!

i've hit that bag before and if these folks weren't impressed they might need to know it's filled with lead and grouchy neighbors.

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 09:14 AM

Just a little H2O. It's one one the waterfilled bags from Century. An animator friend gave it to me for helping with voice overs on his film.

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 09:17 AM

really? I never heard of that (I gotta get out more). whats the weight?

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 09:32 AM

I had one of those bags (Wave right?)I loved it.

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 09:41 AM

You know..... I really don't know. it was a B!@tch to hang.

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 09:48 AM

You hang it THEN fill it! Yes it is a royal pain to hang when it's 50+ pounds. I've heard of the center core breaking. Have you had a problem with yours? I didn't have a problem with mine but then again I don't hit near as hard as some of you guys.

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 10:04 AM

Quote:

You hang it THEN fill it!

If it did break I can just pull up one of my mats because the drain is under the right rear corner of the bag.
Posted by: Chen Zen

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 10:07 AM

Wow, one of a few times that a traditional martial artist has impressed me. Good work there. Good power and technique and a strong defensive shell though I only saw one technique that stood out to be a defensive gesture. I think it is important that people should practice blocking and parry type movements in there shadow boxing or bag work. This will also help footwork, as you begin to dodge and sway around the bags movement. Very Nice, Mark.

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 10:36 AM

I tend to find parrying is easier to practice with a partner than when doing bag-drills.

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 10:41 AM

Do you still fill it from the top? That's the way it was 10 years ago or so when I had mine. Of course century likes to change things up every now and then so no telling how it is now. I guess you are in your basement. I don't have that luxury at my house (water table doesn't allow for a basement). If a bag breaks you're screwed, especially if you have it hanging in the house. I just hung mine on my back porch.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 10:52 AM

Very nice, Mark. Crisp good form and good power. Just like I remember from being on the receiving end!

Props for manning up with a video.

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 10:55 AM

Second time I've watched this video and I'm seriously thinking this should be required viewing for all TKD students. Maybe if they watch this they'll learn to keep their hands up in their guard.

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 11:11 AM

Some of us do ... but then I'm not sports orientated which may be a factor.

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 11:13 AM

As many of you know I had had the opportunity to have Butteryfly and his spouse come and visit us. I think the video shows the effect or influence of some of the things he shared with me. It's not good Ashihara but neither is it bad TKD. That is the curious stylistic world I live in. If I say what I do is TKD people make assumptions based on that. If I say I do karate thay say I thought you did TKD. Korean Karate
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 11:38 AM

Quote:

Second time I've watched this video and I'm seriously thinking this should be required viewing for all TKD students. Maybe if they watch this they'll learn to keep their hands up in their guard.

I am WTF and there is a heavy emphasis on olympic style sparring but we strictly enforce keeping your guard up and strong. I have lighlty punched students guards that I thought were weak and they have, in turn, punched themselves in the face, lol. Only happens once or twice then they fix it.

When they do drop their hands, I make it a point to throw a close technique (punch or kick) to the face to remind them without incident. Their eyes get big and I smile then they lift their hands. Subtle but effective little reminders.

Scottie

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 11:56 AM

Another fine example of "learning through hematoma".

The accelerated course, if you will.

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 12:08 PM

At least it isnt like this:

MattJ's take on Oldman from another thread.

*student walks in*

"Hi I'm here for my lesso-"

*Oldman punches student square in nose*

"First lesson! Move FASTER!"

*student mortified, trying to stanch bloodflow*

"B-B-But Sensei, I was j-"

*another thunderous impact*

"Never talk back to Sensei!!!" Now, use your legs! Attack!"

"What? Me? How do you me-"

*kicks student in shins*

LEGS! LEGS! LEGS! ATTACK NOW!"

*student attempts kick, Oldman sweeps legs out from under him*

"NOT LIKE THAT! FOOL!!!"

Etc.

See! I am much more relaxed than this.
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 12:21 PM

Hell, Mark, I am not even good Ashihara. But it's nice to see you up here and at least hitting a bag! You do have sexy legs...
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 12:37 PM

Good stuff oldman, and nice one for manning up!

The bag work was good stuff- a solid guard and tight techniques. It's nice to see that when the mods man up, the other members don't get a shock!: "OMG, he's always criticising me, and he does bag work like THAT!" Heh, one of the reasons you won't see videos of me round here, I just don't want to lower the level of percieved ability among mods!

Oh yeah, I'm a TKD guy, and I would expect other students to keep their guards up and tight, indeed, what I often see differentiates students in sparring and competition matches, is how well they guard. Guys whose hands drop when they throw a kick learn nasty lessons!

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 12:50 PM

Matt is the only FA member that actually hit me in the nose. Of course my hands were too low. It was a good lesson. What did I learn from it? I went out and bought leather headgear with a steel face cage before the next FA members visited. It was a good investment seeing that the next to visit were Brian and cxt.
Posted by: bo-ken

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 12:58 PM

I was most impressed with your stance. You kept your guard in the same place the entire time I bet you are hard to spar with.

Just a question do you tend to punch more or kick? Just wondering because your stance seems perfect for puncher.

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 01:10 PM

It depends. One of the things I been working on is more in close stuff with elbows. Also in watching the tape I considered weither I was too open for groin shots. I am also working on in close leg techniques that you might see in Nai Hanchi.

I began to make a second video that was more kicking oriented but ran out of memory. I could not delete my daughters photos so I was out of luck. Maybe another time.
Posted by: medulanet

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 01:46 PM

Looked okay. Power was okay, technique was okay, but I favor faster/quicker footwork and more fluid motion. I also like to see better distance control. Guard was okay, but I am more partial to elbow spikes rather than the standard boxing guard, which is more difficult to utilize without those big boxing gloves.

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 02:01 PM

Quote:

I favor faster/quicker footwork and more fluid motion.

Having trained with some Okinawan styled folks, I think I know what you are saying regaurding looser and faster. These days I feel more Clydesdale than Quarter horse. I would love to see what you do sometime. Hey That reminds me, I've never been to Arizona!

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 02:18 PM

I would love to see you make it out to the Maryland/Pennsylvania area first if you get the chance to travel.

Scottie

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 02:20 PM

Hey That reminds me, I've never been to Maryland/Pennsylvania!

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 02:23 PM

Let me fix that for you:

Quote:

Hey That reminds me, I've never been to Massachusetts/Pennsylvania!

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/04/06 02:35 PM

Y'all know Harlan's got the hookup with the Barn Dojo brothers...and she can cook!

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/05/06 11:18 AM

Hello MattJ:

<<MattJ's take on Oldman

Now that's funny...

J
Posted by: Reiki

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/05/06 04:44 PM

Nice stances!

Your gi tops are really short aren't they?! They dont even cover your butt.

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/05/06 04:57 PM

Quote:

Your gi tops are really short aren't they?! They dont even cover your butt.

They try, but alas it is in vane.

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/05/06 04:59 PM

I always heard that Oldman was an ass man ... we just did not figure it was his own ass.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/06/06 12:31 PM

Joining the party a bit late here, but just got to see the vid. i think it's great!
What I especially like is that at no point do you sacrifice form for workrate, and that you are always seeing an oponent, not a bag. Your movement and relationship with the target remain excellent throughout. I also concur with the compliments regarding your guard, but again, I think that is linked to your level of visualisation.
Great elbow work, and i loved that little low strike thing you put in that looked similar to what many are taught as a 'low block' in karate- realy fast transition into that, glad it was not my nads on the recieving end
It is always nice to see people use their legs and core to generate power, and your 'grounded' stance and footwork allows you to hit damn hard for a little fella

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/06/06 01:10 PM

Hello Oldman:

<<They try, but alas it is in vane.

They have creams for that kind of thing.... veins in ones alas

Jeff

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/09/06 11:03 PM

Folks,
This is the second clip I filmed the same evening. As with most other activities in my days I was short on memory. A few shin kicks a few round kicks and a few front kicks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K7L66PqSqM

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/09/06 11:38 PM

And yet still no skin! Ya know with a thread titled "Oldman Naked" you would atleast expect to see the belt come off or doing bag work shirtless!

Casey

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/09/06 11:43 PM

It would look like some film noir JELL-O commercial.

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/10/06 07:26 AM

Very nice, Mark. That was like an instructional on how to do good kicks. I like the quick retraction you showed on all of them.
Posted by: steelwater

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/11/06 02:14 PM

Fast kicks and retraction.

Where's the front leg kicks though?

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/11/06 03:54 PM

As I mentioned earlier I was using my daughters camera. I actually threw alot more kicks only to find out the camera had run out of memory long before I stopped kicking. I walked over to the camera and was all excited. I played back a bit and then BOOM blackness.
Posted by: steelwater

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/11/06 03:57 PM

Ah. Gotcha. My mistake.
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/13/06 02:11 AM

You deserve a larger Gi. I see the "pulling-up-pants" habit just beforw kicking. During my open circuit days, this was a sure indication that a kick was about to happen so I'd shoot in w/ a punch combo.

I'd guess that you're wearing a #5...try a #6 (the jacket should cover your pelvis)
Posted by: Kysogkram

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/13/06 04:51 AM

Since everyone's singing your praises, I thought I'd give it a bit of critique .

1. While you do retract your leg somewhat, you're not doing it all the way. As far as I'm aware, you retract your leg in order to return to your stance as fast as possible, enabling you to launch another attack, move out of the way, do whatever. However the important point being that you return to your stance asap.

2. When doing roundhouse kicks, it looks like you drop your hands. Some like to drop the hand of the side they're kicking with, which is ok. However if you do that, you should be sure to keep the opposite hand up. I can't be sure, because of the angle, but at least in the beginning of the kick, you're dropping both hands.

Anyways, hope it's useful.

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/13/06 08:16 AM

I'll have to try some gi pants from the Butterfly collection. He likes em nice and loose.

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/13/06 08:18 AM

K,
Thanks for th input.
Posted by: Kysogkram

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/13/06 08:52 AM

No problem, hope it's useful.

And yes, butterfly does wear a big ass gi or he's really small
Posted by: hedkikr

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/13/06 12:13 PM

The pants Brad wears aren't too big, they're too long (maybe he just has ugly feet he's ashmed of). I say "too long" because I'm accustomed to wood floors & long pants are slippery under-foot.

Anyway, I'm in no position to critique your technique/style but I do believe that a looser Gi will help your work-outs due to better freedom of movement (perfecting technique). It's also to train in street clothes once in a while. On those days leave your 4" FM pumps & leather miniskirt in the closet.
Posted by: Landus

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/13/06 04:16 PM

I'm disturbed at how many views this thread has got

Re: Oldman Naked - 10/13/06 06:16 PM

Sometimes you gotta sell it baby.