Motivation

Posted by: Stormdragon

Motivation - 09/19/06 12:17 PM

How many of oyu started the martial arts and training becuase of insecurity and a feeling of inadacuacy? I know for me it's a fear of not being good enough, good enough to protect myself, or people I love or whatever, and feeling unsure of myself, so I continually have to prove myself in training and life. Becuase of this I can be one of then icest guys around or a real bully who likes to start fights.
How does one deal with this severe insecurity and fear?
Posted by: harlan

Re: Motivation - 09/19/06 01:28 PM

Hope you don't mind...but I thought this post might get more responses if I put it in the Martial Talk subforum (so I'm moving it).

I started kobudo for exercise...to be physically stronger. I started karate because it put a spell on me.

As for fears/insecurities...they weren't a motivating factor to start MA...but I've discovered that MA is a good way to 'get in touch with myself'...and work on these internal aspects.
Posted by: stormbringer

Re: Motivation - 09/19/06 01:48 PM

I started for different reasons than why I keep doing it. Fear has never been my motivation. I'm still afraid of heights and I was afraid of the dark until I was about 13. The only way to conquer your fear is to build confidence within yourself. As a human, there's only so much we can do, but when we do our best without worries, we rise above our limits and achieve new vistas never before imagined. In reiteration: have confidence!
Posted by: Cord

Re: Motivation - 09/19/06 02:57 PM

Quote:

You either get over it, or live with it. Simple choice. The trick is to be able to look inside and be honest enough with yourself as to where these fears stem from. They are a symptom that will go away if the 'illness' is treated.

Some fear is a natural thing in regards to an actual confrontation though- its adrenaline dump and everyone gets it to some extent. Dont ever try to stop being afraid in the face of very real danger, just learn to operate through it.
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Motivation - 09/19/06 03:10 PM

Quote:

By discovering the root causes of those fears and making sure that we overcome them through appropriate means while taking care to ensure that we don't feed and reinforce these insecurities.

I am convinced that certain approaches actually do more harm than good and really end up feeding the paranoia and insecurity that people feel.

-John

Re: Motivation - 09/19/06 03:16 PM

What if these fears come form lot's of past bullying and being beat up on and knowing peopel getting hurt and beaten by some very bad guys?
This isn't by any means the only reason I train but it is a very important reason and is why everything I train in seriously, has a focus con combat effectiveness and what will make me a btter combatant. Besides that I'm just fascinated by the complexity of the martial arts.
I dotn want to be helpless or unable to od what needs to be done when push comes to shove and that is the fire that drives me to be the best I can be, and of ocurse excessive testosterone from being a teen.

Jkogas, cna oyu elaborate on the htign about some solutions doign more harm than good?
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: Motivation - 09/19/06 03:21 PM

I simply got tired of have my a$$ handed to me by my older brother all the time as a child. We started training together and then I started to move past his level and he stopped training. I kept going and have continued to do so.

Part of it was to earn my father's respect to which in the end, I now see was silly and futile. Part of it was so I could respect myself. Once I trained, I found my inner strength.

There is more but that is best saved for another post.

Scottie
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Motivation - 09/19/06 09:37 PM

Again much like myself Stormdragon.

This goes back to when I started weight lifting. I need that to help with stress and anger issues as well as insecurity issues. My hair was thinning (dam heredity ), I had put on some weight (165 to 193 lbs in just over a year), I had some eye issues that after a surgery required me to wear glasses, and of course issues if I could protect myself and others. I felt weak and timid around others and I did not put much faith in myself.

Weight lifting did wonders for me and I not only lost the weight but I gain more muscle and became very fit. I felt better about myself and how I looked and it gave me confidence to show that to others. I had PRK eye surgery and no longer needed glasses. I cut my hair shorter and though I was thin it wasn't too bad. Then I got into martial arts and it help further with stress and anger issues and gave me more balance. I lost some muscle and strength but in turn I gained speed and endurance plus skills and techniques. I opted to shave my head because I didn't care what people thought and if they didn't like it then I didn't have a problem correcting them.

Self defense was never an issue and still isn't though it is a bonus. Competing wasn't an issue and still isn't though it is a bonus as well. But better myself and feeling more confident, plus dealing with stress and anger issues were the most important things and some of the biggest reasons I continue. Not only that I don't like quiting and I've made some great friends through it.

When you feel confident on the inside you portray it on the outside. Sure there are still some fears and insecurities but knowing they are there and that I'm doing something to help dealing with them, that is the most important thing. Fear is healthy and facing it makes you stronger.

Re: Motivation - 09/20/06 11:41 AM

Then I shall continue facing my fears. I'll try to develope a sense of no-mind in regards to combat.

Re: Motivation - 09/20/06 11:54 AM

"Fear is the little 'mind-killer'." - Frank Herbert, Dune
Posted by: clmibb

Re: Motivation - 09/20/06 12:50 PM

I joined TKD because of my older sister. She would beat, yell and scream at me on a daily bases. I finally got tired of it and after watching Karate Kid for the 6 kazillionth time and I asked my mom if I could join a karate class. I thought my mom was going to choke on her drink. She said ok (my parents always let us try things that we showed an interest in). After about 3-4 years of being in TKD my sister started in on her rantings and so I kicked her once in the knee, she has yet to stand up to me since that fateful day

Re: Motivation - 09/20/06 12:58 PM

Ha ha, serves her right. lol

Re: Motivation - 09/20/06 01:00 PM

Quote:

"Fear is the little 'mind-killer'." - Frank Herbert, Dune

"Fear is the mind killer, the little death htat brings total obliteration. I must not fear. I will face my fear and allow it to pass over me and through me, and where it has gone there will be nothing, only I will remain." Frank Herbert, Dunne
I basically memorized that

Re: Motivation - 09/20/06 01:14 PM

Thanks! Didn't have the book handy...but I'll save the quote now.