Art Recomendation For Beginner

Posted by: Slaya

Art Recomendation For Beginner - 09/06/06 01:41 PM

I'm 17, male, and have no experience in any means of "Kung Fu." I've always had some interest in such things but have never had the time to do so. I don't want to just learn basic karate like some Tiger Shomans thing. I was interested in Muay Thai but don't know where I can learn it located where I live. Also, I heard Tae Kwan Do is the best but I heard it requires prior experience which I massively lack. What martial art would you guys recomend I look into or take and where can I find them. I live in New Jersey and am looking for locations in Old Bridge, South River, South Amboy, New Brunswick, Wood Bridge. Basically around those areas. If anyone knows the area and a dojo or what ever please reply to me and help me out. I really don't want to drive 60 miles and blow my gas down the drain.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Art Recomendation For Beginner - 09/06/06 01:50 PM

One that's close!

You don't need prior experience at most schools.
Posted by: migo

Re: Art Recomendation For Beginner - 09/06/06 01:51 PM

Taekwondo is best at kicks, definitely not overall. You do not need prior experience for it, however, if the person who told you that goes to the local TKD school it's probably not one you'd want to check out.

As for Tiger Shulman's, Laura D'Auguste trains there and she's one of the top female MMA fighters, I wouldn't let the name scare you.

New Jersey's definitely not my neck of the woods, so I have no clue what's there, but check out your yellow pages as well as online dojo directories. www.fightresource.com has some, and there are other directories around the net as well.

Re: Art Recomendation For Beginner - 09/06/06 02:11 PM

I really am not intimidated by people or scared by someone who can beat me down. I frankly could care less. Tiger shulmans just looks lame. As for the best kicks, I don't necessarily want to be twirling around like Ryu or something out of street fighter. I wanted Muay Thai cause I heard they specialize in power blows from the knees and elbos. As for the person that recomended me to Tae Kwon Do it was just idle chit chat over someone I was talking to online. I don't even know the guys name but he said he studied alot of martial arts ect.
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Art Recomendation For Beginner - 09/06/06 02:58 PM

There is more to TKD that "Twirling round like Ryu". If you haven't experienced it yet, then how do you know what it is like?

Muay Thai is a good art too. It does incorporate elbows and knees.

You need to figure out what you want out of martial arts (e.g. self-defense, fitness, inner peace, to enter tournaments etc....).

Then, like Matt said, find out what is available in your area.

It'll be easier to advise you if you have some idea of what you want out of MA's.

Re: Art Recomendation For Beginner - 09/06/06 03:09 PM

Quote:

There is more to TKD that "Twirling round like Ryu". If you haven't experienced it yet, then how do you know what it is like?

Muay Thai is a good art too. It does incorporate elbows and knees.

You need to figure out what you want out of martial arts (e.g. self-defense, fitness, inner peace, to enter tournaments etc....).

Then, like Matt said, find out what is available in your area.

It'll be easier to advise you if you have some idea of what you want out of MA's.

Self Defense and Fitness are the main things I want out of a martial arts, also a little more focus I guess but I don't think I really need any more focus. I know far more about Muay Thai then I do of TKD as you guys call it. Honestly though, what do you think is a better all around art? I don't plan to enter tournaments because well... I want this as like a hobbie, something to do when I get out of school and burn a couple hours per day or week. Don't get me wrong, I plan to take it seriously. I just mean I don't plan to be the next Jet Li ect.
Posted by: migo

Re: Art Recomendation For Beginner - 09/06/06 03:12 PM

Quote:

Tiger shulmans just looks lame.

Eh, whatever. Good luck on your search.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Art Recomendation For Beginner - 09/06/06 03:17 PM

I think that if you keep looking you will find something that makes you happy. I suspect a lot of people start out with a 'vague' idea, and can't really put a finger on what 'it' is that they want. Only by trying, being open to new ideas, and willing to move on to better ones, will you clarify your search.
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Art Recomendation For Beginner - 09/06/06 03:18 PM

Since self defense is what you are after it will have to become much more than a hobby.

Hava a look around at the schools in your area,sit in on a few classes,and decide for yourself.
Posted by: TheKen

Re: Art Recomendation For Beginner - 09/06/06 03:18 PM

Former New Jersian here, if you are looking for Ninjutsu/Bujinkan system the Musan Dojo in Rutherford NJ is an option. It is not to far from the Jets/Giants stadium. A little farther north than you may be looking. Here is a list of NJ dojos form Ninjutsu.com

Jack Hoban Shihan (recommended)
Red Bank YMCA, teaches Mon & Wed.
Living values.com or call for info.

Bujinkan Happo dojo
seniorteacher: Don Houle rankdan: 5
address: 108 Sparta Ave Stanhope, NJ 07860
traininginfo: Thursdays 7pm - 9pm Saturdays noon - 2pm
url: www.happodojo.com
email: dojo@oninohana.com

The Musan Dojo, Inc. - Robert Carcano
P. O. Box 59; 425 Paterson Avenue; East Rutherford, NJ 07073
Phone: (201) 804-0352 or e-mail: 75501.2450@compuserve.com

Tanuki Bujinkan Dojo
seniorteacher: Shidoshi Christopher Carbonaro rankdan: 7
address: Highlands, New Jersey
traininginfo: Saturday's 10am-1pm
Monday night classes are held at the Spartan School of Self Defense 7pm-9pm
url: wwwtanuki.vze.com
phone: 1 570 977 3596

I trained at Musan a long time ago when I lived in NJ.

Ken
Posted by: Dobbersky

Re: Art Recomendation For Beginner - 09/07/06 10:34 AM

Ken its Ken, hello

I've not been on this forum for as long as a lot of people but there seems to be a lot of postings about what type of MA should they do. could we create a file that collates all the information on each style and then it could help our willing comrades in MA

but whilst this is waiting

Before you start going to a Dojo

ask youself what exactly do you want, once you have that then we can start

ask you self do you want a striking, wrestling, throwing, joint manipulation etc. from there come back and we can guide you

I'd personally recommend a complete art like Hapkido, Ashihara, Enshin, Traditional Japanese Atemi Jujitsu, Kippap, Krav Maga or Wado Ryu or Goju Ryu

Don't sign up to any 'packages' straight away, and most respectable club will alllow you to attend first lesson free and 2 or 3 at a charge per lesson after that to see if like the style.

You definately come to a forum where the years of knowledge is the best and they would not give you bad advise

My respect to them all, and good luck on your quest

Re: Art Recomendation For Beginner - 09/07/06 04:35 PM

Thanks alot for your opinions and the last guy who gave me the addresses. They are all a tad too far though, sorry but thanks alot still Anyway, I decided to check out Thai Boxing which I am going to test out today.

Re: Art Recomendation For Beginner - 09/07/06 04:42 PM

Quote:

I've not been on this forum for as long as a lot of people but there seems to be a lot of postings about what type of MA should they do. could we create a file that collates all the information on each style and then it could help our willing comrades in MA

*ahem*

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/15839205/an/0/page/0#15839205
Posted by: Dobbersky

Re: Art Recomendation For Beginner - 09/08/06 04:20 AM

Quote:

*ahem*

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/15839205/an/0/page/0#15839205

Well Matt, it seems I was a bit slow in that as it is already there. I must have been on holiday that week and missed it although I have saved it to my favourites - Can it be made static to the front page like the posts regarding do's and don'ts

Re: Art Recomendation For Beginner - 09/08/06 06:00 AM

I was actually really interested in TKD since the Muay Thai lesson I took for free yesturday was kind of like.... Thai Bo from those infomercials. Does Tiger Shulmans teach TKD since I would much rather learn that I think than an aerobics class. I saw what they did in the class and honestly like it and enjoy it but I would like to learn a variety of things from one class. Like one of the people that replied to my original post said "Find a art that is complete" or something like that.
Posted by: Prizewriter

Re: Art Recomendation For Beginner - 09/08/06 02:20 PM

Well, if you are looking for something that covers all the bases so to speak, try Japanese Ju Jutsu (I hate having to add the prefix!!!! ), Ninjutsu (Bujinkan, Genbukan, Jinenkan), Hapkido, Jeet Kune Do, Silat, Eskrima, Krav Maga or Systema.

There are many more styles and systems besides those, but they will be a good place to start. Important thing to remember though is that the deficiency sometimes lies with us, not the MA.
Posted by: musicalmike235

Re: Art Recomendation For Beginner - 06/17/07 06:53 PM

Learn a grappling art. Kung Fu is rubbish.

Re: Art Recomendation For Beginner - 06/17/07 08:12 PM

Quote:

Learn a grappling art. Kung Fu is rubbish.

Pretty bold statement, Mike. Have you seen every Kung-Fu style, that you can say so with authority? Even different schools of the same style train with different intensity levels. I have known a few bad-ass KF people in my time.

You should look around a bit more before making sweeping statements like that.

Re: Art Recomendation For Beginner - 06/17/07 08:31 PM

Believe it or not, I can back up the claim. Take a look at these videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef57iN7hL4s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjK0g-cDJI4

And if you want, I can find more.
Posted by: Xibalba

Re: Art Recomendation For Beginner - 06/17/07 08:58 PM

Quote:

As much as I love BJJ, I have to say that your "kung fu is rubbish" statement is an over-generalization and dead wrong.

I attended a seminar this weekend and got my a$$ handed to me by the instructor, a kung-fu practitioner. The instructor is a long-time buddy of mine named Chris Heintzman whom I have not seen in almost 10 yrs. He and I trained karate together in the early 90s, and he then moved to N Carolina where he took up hop gar, tai chi and some choy li fut. He currently trains and fights in MMA/NHB/San Shou for a living.

We worked on some clinch/grappling work, and when I sparred with him he owned me. Seriously. I am a very good stand-up guy, and have good BJJ basics. I had no trouble grappling with most everyone else at the seminar, but once I clinched with Chris I was helpless. His use of good "sticky-hands" type sensitivity, understanding of how to control my center of gravity, and NHB experience made me about as helpless as a newborn babe.

Anyway, you may want to watch it when you say this or that art is "rubbish". Someone really good may come along and prove you wrong.

Peace,
Mike
Posted by: Kimo2007

Re: Art Recomendation For Beginner - 06/17/07 09:11 PM

You show videos that have a BJJ fighter against stand up fighters with no ground skills. This was a great point.....in 1993.

Don't dismiss entire arts. It simply shows you to be young and uninformed.

Re: Art Recomendation For Beginner - 06/17/07 11:13 PM

Quote:

*slaps head*

You are missing my point, my friend. What I am trying to say is that there are kung-fu schools that DO work ground stuff, and even styles that emphasize it, like san soo (sp?), although not to the degree that BJJ does.

Thus your generalization is still a bad idea, despite the video "proof". Or do I have to find some video of Cung Le for you?
Posted by: Viator

Re: Art Recomendation For Beginner - 06/18/07 10:51 AM

Kung Fu can be good as long as the training methodology is good. Take out what works from your experience and leave the rest. That said, I kinda agree with him that a decent BJJ practitioner will beat an average kung fu practitioner a large portion of the time, especially if they don't know any takedown defense. Pure grappling just tends to beat pure standup, still doesn't mean all kung fu is crap. Just, ya know, most of it.
Posted by: schanne

Re: Art Recomendation For Beginner - 06/18/07 11:04 AM

Our dojo is exactly what your looking for and we are in NJ... but a little out of your way. We are about 20 minutes outside of Phila. over the Walt Whitman Bridge( Mantua NJ).
TNT Katrate & Fitness
tntkarate.net

Tell you what, why don't you come to the East Coast Get Together here August 11th in NJ and I/we can go over a lot of the things your talking about. If you want to talk in private feel free to email me.

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...part=1&vc=1

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...=0#Post15920796

Re: Art Recomendation For Beginner - 06/19/07 11:01 PM

Okay, Maybe I shouldn't say its rubbish. And forgive me. I just have a real ax to grind about this, mainly because the kind of people that typically badmouth MMA tend to be kung fu guys who say things like, "We don't use our true techniques because we don't want to kill the guy. Thats why he beat us." I know kung fu guys aren't all like that (If the art really was rubbish it wouldn't have lasted), but really, the ones who know better took the time to study grappling and proper application of both their ground and stand-up games and therefore preclude themselves from my generalization. They are "Complete fighters". Not pure strikers, and not pure grapplers. Thats all I want people to realize. And unfortunately, there are still a lot of people who havn't learned from UFC 1 and that bothers me.
Posted by: ThatSpearGuy

Re: Art Recomendation For Beginner - 06/23/07 12:50 AM

Now I have an issue with you using UFC as a grounds for knowing what is and isn't real. UFC is a sport. Granted its a very violent sport with suberb athletes who are very good at what they do. However it has rules and as such is a sport.

Also, having known and trained with some very good kung fu guys I can tell you for a fact that real kung fu isn't rubbish. I know me telling you this isn't going to change your mind, its gonna take you running into one of those guys yourself.

Re: Art Recomendation For Beginner - 06/23/07 10:04 PM

ThatSpearGuy, the fact is, MMA always trumps traditional martial arts because it takes the best from every traditional system and uses it. MMA isn't just a style, its a science. And by the way, not all MMA competitions have rules, you should see the ones they hold in brazil. Also, look back at UFC 1, there were no rules in that either, and you didn't see any one getting killed with some magic death touch. To say that kung fu is rubbish, is a gross overstatement that I perhaps shouldn't have made, but MMA is still the ultimate fighting style.