happoken kata

Posted by: mark

happoken kata - 07/16/04 06:19 AM

Hi,

We used to do the Yoseikan Happoken Katas. But students found them too hard so they got dropped, in favour of the more traditional karate kata.

I just cant remember them properly now, does any one have them on video or even diagram?

Mark
Posted by: schanne

Re: happoken kata - 07/16/04 07:26 AM

So what becomes of the dropped kata's, do they just vanish for something easier. Maybe they should be used for upper belt levels instead.?

Re: happoken kata - 07/16/04 01:28 PM

that is exactly why im trying to remember them.

mark
Posted by: MrVigerous

Re: happoken kata - 07/17/04 07:28 AM

Somebody must be able to help!

Dig deep people dig deep.

Regds
Mr V
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: happoken kata - 08/17/04 09:36 AM

Are you asking about the happoken kata's that you want to see? I have a video clip of Mitchi Mochizuki doing happoken nidan and I'm sure I can get a hold of some of the others.

Re: happoken kata - 08/17/04 02:17 PM

that would be great, Robert.

I had only learnt 1 & 2.

Are there any more?

mark

Re: happoken kata - 08/17/04 05:11 PM

I think there are five of the happoken kata. I have the video clip of nidan at home and will see about the other ones.

Do you remember the first one? Worst case - I can "try" to talk you through it if I can't locate a good clip (I think a friend of mine has it on tape and will need to convert it to a clip).
Posted by: swright

Re: happoken kata - 09/07/04 02:50 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Robert Cheshire:
I think there are five of the happoken kata. I have the video clip of nidan at home and will see about the other ones.

[/QUOTE]

Hi Robert

I have been studying Yoseikan Aikido for almost 10 years now and would LOVE to see any video you have of Happokan.

Thanks
Steve.

steve@globesoftware.com.au

Re: happoken kata - 11/19/04 12:34 AM

Hello

I practice Shorinjiryu Karate, a style founded by Shinan Kori Hisataka.

As you may or may not know, the Yoseikan Budo kata Happoken was originally taught to Mochizuki Sensei by Hisataka Sensei in Manchuria during WW2, when they were both stationed at the same place.

I confirmed this fact personally during an interview I was fortunate to be able to conduct with Mochizuki Sensei at his dojo in Shizuoka in c. 1993.

My understanding is that Mochizuki sensei then created the Ni, San, etc versions based on the original one.

The irony is that Happoken as such is no longer taught in Shorinjiryu karate. As part of my research into our style, I would really love to get a copy of the videos you guys are describing, so would appreciate any help or assistance.

BTW, I believe that Shorinjiryu karate has also been influenced by Mochizuki Sensei, as we have many Aiki principles and techniques incorporated.

Best wishes

Des Paroz
Sydney, Australia