Grandmaster Curtis Futch

Posted by: BrianS

Grandmaster Curtis Futch - 08/15/06 03:09 PM

Since this guy is in my home state I'd like to hear opinions on him and his school.

http://www.leeskarate.com/omka.htm

http://www.leeskarate.com/curtis.htm

It mentions some of his training,but nothing after third dan...???? Grandmaster?????

"Arkansas Good Ambassador of Karate." WTF is that?????

Note the beret and flag belt. Weird.

Comments? Observations?
Posted by: Zombie Zero

Re: Grandmaster Curtis Futch - 08/15/06 03:22 PM

Quote:

Note the beret and flag belt. Weird.

Calling it 'weird' is being kind. Seeing the flag being worn as clothing makes me twitch. The absolute worst was at the beach, when I saw someone in a stars-and-stripes speedo.

As far as HIS belt, I don't understand what that's supposed to signify. I notice he still has one end solid black, with ten stripes. I guess when you're 10th degree, you can wear what ever you damned well please.

Last weekend, someone asked me how long it takes to go from black belt to R A I N B O W belt. He was completely serious. When I told him there was no such thing, he told me I didn't know what I was talking about.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Grandmaster Curtis Futch - 08/15/06 03:35 PM

never know, he might be able to teach how to fight. as far as what the website shows, it's very silly. he may as well have dressed up as bozo the clown and listed a master certificate in balloon folding. nothing listed on the site made sense to me.
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Grandmaster Curtis Futch - 08/15/06 03:35 PM

c'mon, you don't know about the rainbow belt that goes along with the carebear-fu?
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Grandmaster Curtis Futch - 08/15/06 03:47 PM

Quote:

c'mon, you don't know about the rainbow belt that goes along with the carebear-fu?

Free Image Hosting at

To be honest Brian, I wonder if we sometimes jump to conclusions too fast. Many people have limited skills in creating webpages and their idea of something good may be horrible. Also many people may be "eccentric" or have a weird concept of how things should be but are very knowledgeable of what they can provide. Maybe just stop in an watch, you should have a good idea of what is good and bad ... and then report back immediately to dispell or clarify for us.
Posted by: oldman

Re: Grandmaster Curtis Futch - 08/15/06 03:52 PM

Lees Karate.

Brought to you by the fine folks at...

Quote:

World Head of Family Sokeship Council.
The most elite grandmasters/Soke organization in the world with the MOST RECOGNIZABLE martial arts names in history of any Soke or grandmasters council currently in existence.

Re: Grandmaster Curtis Futch - 08/15/06 03:53 PM

Stop in and watch? Their concealed handgun class or what?

I'm highly skeptical of anyone associated with the Ozark Mountains Karate Association.
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Grandmaster Curtis Futch - 08/15/06 04:02 PM

I think you have been hanging around Ed too much.
Posted by: schanne

Re: Grandmaster Curtis Futch - 08/15/06 04:06 PM

American flag belt...oh boy!

Well, I never met the man so I can't pass judgement after all he might be a great instructor.

Re: Grandmaster Curtis Futch - 08/15/06 04:09 PM

I don't get over to the east part of Ar. that much,but if I do I'll be sure and stop in.

I jsut don't like that sort of thing 'representin' Arkansas.

Just wait and see what I find when I move. There's lots of cities around there to exploit. Springdale,Rogers,Fayetteville,etc..I'm sure I'll find a few worth visiting.

Re: Grandmaster Curtis Futch - 08/15/06 04:11 PM

Fayetteville NC?

Re: Grandmaster Curtis Futch - 08/15/06 04:22 PM

Looks like it doesn't take much to get a concealed hand gun permit in Arkansas......Daaaang Brian!

What to bring to concealed hand gun class (LOL)

semi-automatic pistol (if you have one),
eye protection,
hearing protection,
a box of shells,
and money for the class.

http://www.leeskarate.com/taichi.htm
Posted by: wristtwister

Re: Grandmaster Curtis Futch - 08/15/06 05:14 PM

Rhetorical question: Why is it that I've never heard of many of these "World Famous Organizations" that organize these associations? I know I've only been in MA 43 years, but you'd think I'd have heard of some of these "grandmasters"...

Posted by: haze

Re: Grandmaster Curtis Futch - 08/15/06 05:45 PM

Grandmaster Futch eventually gave the name of "American Free-Style Kenpo" to his method of teaching.

So he ..........founded his own system. Tenth dan must have been awarded for that from "The World Head of Sokeship Council"

He's listed here Sokeship

So I'm thinking.......Moya means Haze in japanese so if I come up with some kata and techniques from a few styles and call it Moya Ryu do I get to be soke and fancy belt of my choice? (I'm thinking a nice gray leather belt, 2 inch wide with dragons embossed on it in various colors. Belt is gray not black so it looks old ) Who's with me on this one? Cerificate, promotion to Rokudan, Real nice Leather Belt !!! all for $100 us dollars? Now that's regular price but if you act now,,, $25 while certificates last.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Grandmaster Curtis Futch - 08/15/06 05:50 PM

Quote:

Lees Karate.

Brought to you by the fine folks at...

Quote:

World Head of Family Sokeship Council.
The most elite grandmasters/Soke organization in the world with the MOST RECOGNIZABLE martial arts names in history of any Soke or grandmasters council currently in existence.

Oldman shoots.....and HE SCORES!!!! That's enough for me.
Posted by: Shidoshi

Re: Grandmaster Curtis Futch/Lee's Karate/OMKA - 04/24/07 11:47 PM

Interesting thread. Futch looks like a joke to me. I hate to be mean, but he does. Lee's karate looks like even more of a joke. The kid just doesn't look like he knows what he's doing and neither do his students. On another note, I recently saw a demonstration by some OMKA people (Namely Jack "Skip" Johnson of Doniphan, Missouri. Although you have posted "redneck" in your name, I'm going to assume you don't bring that into Karate and tell you what I saw. First off, Johnson and his wife had themselves announced as "Ma and Pa" and did nunchuck routines to some banjo song. One of Johnson's students wore a black uniform with black belt, and (I SWEAR) a John Deere cap, with his gi. Another one left the ties on his top undone, with the top on the outside so that everyone could see his black button down shirt with flames on it underneath. They also announced on the microphone that during their apple sword demonstration, someone got cut. They have their names hand stitched on their collars, which looks absolutely terrible. Most of them looked unkempt and dirty. I hate to sound condescending, but I'm just going to have to risk it. This school looked very "white trashy." There was no professionalism whatsoever. The teenage black belts piggy backed each other around the expo and made poor examples of themselves.

Johnson himself was claiming to be a 4th dan a few years ago, and now apparently has been promoted to 9th dan grandmaster. Since he's a member of OMKA under Futch, I'm guessing that this is who promoted him. I also know that Johnson lied about a tournament in Missouri where he claimed that after his son did breaking, all of the male black belts bowed out and wouldn't fight. I guess his hometown newspaper will believe anything. Funny, we were at that tournament and one of our black belts fought in that division, and we never even saw his son, and didn't see any spectacular breaking either. No black belts bowed out, and if his son broke at all, it wasn't even good enough for anyone to have asked who he was.

Although Mr. Johnson worked for a tree trimming service, he was telling people that he actually flies blackhawk choppers for the army on secret missions at night. I am quite impressed that there are "secret missions' to fly around Doniphan podunk Missouri, and that he has time to do all that and still work trimming trees.

Bottom line is that the OMKA appears to be a very downhome, southern, white trash organization. I don't know what military honors Futch holds, but I think mixing the beret and the flag belt on a karate uniform is just tacky. It's like begging for attention in a way that isn't appropriate. I've never seen a police officer pin a badge on their gi and wear a gun either, because it's two different things.

Just my 2 cents, for what it's worth.
Posted by: Isshinryukid4life

Re: Grandmaster Curtis Futch - 04/25/07 12:23 AM

We have alot of fakes here in TN,but most of them are located in Nashville,& Memphis.
Posted by: matchhead_jack

Re: Grandmaster Curtis Futch - 09/04/07 03:57 PM

BrianS, Lo and Behold, this is in my hometown! I didn't think of Curtis Futch when the topic came up. Well honestly I did but I thought...What are the chances, of all the people on the internet around the world.

I can say that Larry Jackson, the bald instructor, seems like a decent brawler. The youngest fellow has came to our dojo several times and seems like a really good kid who believed the flim flam sokeship stuff. I haven't mentioned anything to him about my opinions, just teaching him our stuff.
Posted by: rand1022

Re: Grandmaster Curtis Futch - 01/19/10 03:13 PM

I have had the privilege to train with Grandmaster Futch for many years and he is an exhalent instruct. Before passing judgment plz stop by some time and meet him.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Grandmaster Curtis Futch - 01/19/10 06:12 PM

Originally Posted By: rand1022
I have had the privilege to train with Grandmaster Futch for many years and he is an exhalent instruct.

Does this mean he blows a lot of hot air?
Posted by: rand1022

Re: Grandmaster Curtis Futch - 01/19/10 06:42 PM

lol OK i need to proof read better i mean excellent
Posted by: Regals

Re: Grandmaster Curtis Futch - 09/08/11 10:30 PM

you know ive just recently started training at lee's karate, but the staff are very nice people and they train hard daily and what i dont get is the fact that martial arts is suppose to teach resepect for yourself and others but everyone of you guys are basically sitting her having a **** swinging contest about whos teacher is better and whos style is better and just in general you should all be ashamed of yourselfs, its so sad to see how everyone can sit here and whine and complain about "their two cents", when in reality you need to look at your own lives and reconnect with the principles and ideas that karate represents. if you cant do that then you should stop practicing all together and find a new hobby for grumpy old men..

with respect for all,
regal