Power in Air Kicks.

Posted by: Anonymous

Power in Air Kicks. - 07/06/04 03:30 PM

Hey all,

Small problem here. I know I kick hard...I've seen the results of my kicks on boards, people holding kick shields, and the kick shields themselves. But for some reason, whenever I do air kicks I don't feel like they're powerful. Doesn't matter what kick I do. Stepping Back Kick, Sidekick Roundhouse Kick...doesn't feel powerful, period. Is this normal, or do I perhaps need to work on something?

Thanks.

Tang Soo!

Re: Power in Air Kicks. - 07/06/04 03:36 PM

You may just be making a mountain out of a mole hill.

But; something I always suggest to my fellow classmate when it comes to any kick, aim and form are the key. Your already powerful, now make sure that your form is perfect and precise.

A little reminder: dont just focus on power, find a healthy balance between power and speed. Work on you aim, it should help a lot.

Re: Power in Air Kicks. - 07/06/04 03:38 PM

I know what you mean. Usually when I'm doing air kicks it's all about precision and technique...I save the power for target kicking and board breaking. But sometimes you've just got to let loose and for some reason it feels like it's not there.

Re: Power in Air Kicks. - 07/06/04 04:18 PM

I can understand that. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/biggrin.gif[/IMG]

Re: Power in Air Kicks. - 07/06/04 06:42 PM

The problem with "air kicks" or kicking during a kata is that there is nothing stopping the kick. When you throw a kick into a bag, board or target you rely on that target to slow down or stop the kick or punch. When you throw a kick into the air there is nothing to stop it except you. Shortly after you begin the kick your muscles begin to slow the motion by retracting. Otherwise you would throw a kick so hard that you could hyper extend you knee, or pull a muscle. I’ve seen this happen a lot in tournament fighting, because a fighter throws a hard kick that he believe will impact on the opponent but then misses and ends up hurting himself.
Posted by: UKfightfreak

Re: Power in Air Kicks. - 07/07/04 08:07 AM

Easy.

Don't kick air, its a stupid idea unless you are learning the mechanics of a new kick, as kicking air gives you no feedback so it is pointless.

The only times I kick air is to practice combination and technicalities before hitting the heavy bag.

Re: Power in Air Kicks. - 07/07/04 11:28 AM

I agree with Kuma and UKfightfreak. Kicks were meant to hit things, so to practice power you gotta hit things. Snap kicks can be done well in the air, if you use the recoil to bring you back to center, but not thrust of power kicks.

Re: Power in Air Kicks. - 07/07/04 05:26 PM

Maybe I misunderstood the forum.. I thought we were talking about jump kicks onto a pad or board. If we were then I feel I gave good advice. If we weren't then I gave horrible advice becuase you WILL hurt yourself kicking with too much power into the air. In any case I still wouldnt use a jump kick in a real fight, or even in a controlled sparring competition. They just don't work well very often.
Posted by: Reiki

Re: Power in Air Kicks. - 07/07/04 08:59 PM

Don't be tempted to put maximum power into kicks and punches into the air - by this I am assuming you mean a kick [or punch] in the air without something receiving it like a pad or bag or whatever.

If u do put max power into this sort of strike you run the risk of hyperextending the knee or elbow joints and damaging them permanently. Or pulling a muscle, and it's just not worth it.