Defense Strategy

Posted by: Stormdragon

Defense Strategy - 04/18/06 10:22 PM

For self defense and fighting, what kinds of tactic and strategy sets do use? Also do you use a set formula for defense or just "do it". For me, I've boiled it down to:

Defend(using blocks, parries, evasions, etc.),

Counterattack(using strikes, kicks, elbows knees, etc.),

control(control and manipulate the opponents body with locks, holds and

constrictions, joint nad head manipulations, etc.),

Takedown(take opponent to the with sweeps, trips, throws etc.)

and Finish( with strikes, submissions, chokes, strangles, etc.).

This is the basic formula or equation I use to guide my techniques and skills in a self defense or combat situation.
How does this work for all of you?
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Defense Strategy - 04/19/06 11:41 AM

Quote:

nad head manipulations

NOTE TO SELF -

Never get in a fight with Stormdragon! Actually your list looks pretty good to me. Hopefully the confrontation can be ended using as few of those as possible.

Re: Defense Strategy - 04/19/06 02:17 PM

Yeah I'm a huge fan of head manipulations, face attacks, as well as locks and constrictions, etc.
And I'm also a big fan of having a guiding strategy that can be applied to virtually any set cof techniques or tools, as long as they don't limit themselves to one kind of technique like just punching, just throwing nad grappling, etc.
And yeah, I hope never to have to use all that or any of it for that matter.
Posted by: Borrek

Re: Defense Strategy - 04/19/06 10:03 PM

I assume when you said "nad head" you meant "and head"

lol but the nad manipulation can be a serious deterrent!

...unless youre up against this guy: www.ironcrotch.com
Posted by: JKogas

Re: Defense Strategy - 04/19/06 10:32 PM

I let people come TO ME, I don't go to them. If they don't come, there's no fight. If they DO come to me, they commit themselves in some way or another. That's exactly what a counter-fighter is looking for.

HOW I do this (technically speaking) just depends on what I'm "given". Is it a punch or a takedown attempt? I only take what I'm given and don't force anything.

Short answer is, I generally wrestle a striker and strike a wrestler.

But I DO love to wrestle....

-John
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Defense Strategy - 04/19/06 11:01 PM

Quote:

I generally wrestle a striker and strike a wrestler.

...but....but....that not FAIR! lol
Posted by: bo-ken

Re: Defense Strategy - 04/19/06 11:17 PM

I am more of a counter puncher. I try to use my footwork to get away from attacks. I only hit back if there is an opening. I like to block hard with my arms and legs to remind them that they should stop. I don't have a set plan of moves but I know what I am good at and stick to them. I am not going to throw a move unless I know it is going to do damage.
Posted by: oldman

Re: Defense Strategy - 04/19/06 11:34 PM

I start by soiling myself. Then I liberaly apply the content of my Knickers to my face and arms whilst skreetching " I am the queen MUM!!! I am the queen MUM!!! You are a my babie's buffet!!!

No one has ever gotten close enough to lay a hand on me.
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Defense Strategy - 04/20/06 12:09 AM

What kata is that from, oldman?

Re: Defense Strategy - 04/20/06 12:06 PM

Quote:

I assume when you said "nad head" you meant "and head"

lol but the nad manipulation can be a serious deterrent!

...unless youre up against this guy: www.ironcrotch.com

I meant AND head manipulations but nad manipulations work very well to, I use those a lot as well.
Posted by: sbd_assassin

Re: Defense Strategy - 04/20/06 12:54 PM

i like what kogas said reminds me of what i'm told "as long as you don't throw the first punch, and you finish it your not in trouble" because most of a time a threat is just that a threat and never is acted upon.

StormDragons little list is like the readers digest version of the Martial Artist Fight Bible, everything that could and would be used simplified down to a few sentences. Props!

Re: Defense Strategy - 04/20/06 03:53 PM

My pleasure. I think a strategy or attack pattern like htis is great because like I said, you can adapt it to the vast majority of technique sets. Thanks.
Posted by: Kosh

Re: Defense Strategy - 04/20/06 04:22 PM

That`s everything I guess, but I think all this can be mostly condensed into:

- destroying (defend, although evasions aren`t exactly destroying anything, counterattack)

- entering (counterattack, control, takedown)

- terminating (control, takedown, finish)

All are related, IMO they blend into each other in a way.
Posted by: Ironfoot

Re: Defense Strategy - 04/21/06 10:17 AM

Quote:

I start by soiling myself. Then I liberaly apply the content of my Knickers to my face and arms whilst skreetching " I am the queen MUM!!! I am the queen MUM!!! You are a my babie's buffet!!!

No one has ever gotten close enough to lay a hand on me.

Of course they stay away, oldman. They fear you'll manipulate their nad heads.

Coming from a striking discipline, I'm trained in blocking, evading and countering. My sensei was huge into control techniques, so I'm pretty good there, but I'm actually weak in ground techniques and not so hot in sweeps.