Coming To America

Posted by: still wadowoman

Coming To America - 04/05/06 06:01 AM

I will be leaving England tomorrow (Thursday) morning to travel to Maryland, USA to stay with Scott (Razorfoot) for 11 days.

Scott has arranged for us to train at his TKD school and at a local Kung Fu school. I have never trained in either of these arts so I am looking forward to learning a little about them.

We will also be meeting up with Matt and his wife, and also hopefully RangerG.

Watch this space for updates on our training and I will endeavour to discover the truth about Scott and Matt's relationship
Sharon
Posted by: Supremor

Re: Coming To America - 04/05/06 06:06 AM

Have a nice time- show the yanks whose boss eh?
Posted by: BrianS

Re: Coming To America - 04/05/06 06:08 AM

Allright Sharon!!!! That's really cool,I'm sure it will be an adventure for you. On behalf of all Americans....WELCOME!!!
Posted by: JohnL

Re: Coming To America - 04/05/06 08:10 AM

And you're not coming to New York!

Let's face it, Maryland's a poor second!

Kind of like going to England, not hitting London but going somewhere obscure like "Braintree"

Have fun.
Posted by: McSensei

Re: Coming To America - 04/05/06 08:21 AM

John,
Braintree is in Essex. Where Sharon lives.
After saying that I doubt you'd want her to come to NY.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Coming To America - 04/05/06 08:24 AM

11 days? Make sure you do D.C....it is lovely in Spring.
Posted by: RazorFoot

Re: Coming To America - 04/05/06 09:45 AM

We will definitely get in some sight seeing as well as a good amount of training. I plan on working her quite hard while she is here. I doubt she will get much sleep because of all the excitement of being in a new country with so many new things to experience. We had hoped to visit Brad (Butterfly) in California but unfortunately, we will not be able to do so this time.

It would be great to meet and greet others who live semi-close to Maryland so let me know if you want to meet us somewhere.

Scottie
Posted by: JoelM

Re: Coming To America - 04/05/06 10:24 AM

Have a great trip, Sharon.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Coming To America - 04/05/06 12:47 PM

Safe journey Sharon. If Razorfoot's instructor happens to have a high dan grade teenage son, keep it to yourself eh?

Re: Coming To America - 04/05/06 02:30 PM

No worries there. He has four daughters and only one of them is training now. A tiny little 8 yr old purple belt. She is adorable. We have a few Poom belts (junior black belts) who will have to retest for their black when they reach 16 but nothing more unusual than that.

Scottie
Posted by: butterfly

Re: Coming To America - 04/05/06 03:20 PM

Sharon,

Have a safe trip and be welcome here in the States.

Scottie, take care of our visitor!

-B
Posted by: ScottO

Re: Coming To America - 04/05/06 03:21 PM

Good luck and have a safe trip!

Welcome to America!

"It's America, The Beautiful, not America, The - She Has A Great Personality"
Posted by: Dereck

Re: Coming To America - 04/05/06 06:31 PM

Have a good trip and enjoy your time with Matt and Scottie. One day I'd like to make the same trip plus also to the big Island to see my English cousins on here that I've become overly fond of.
Posted by: Taison

Re: Coming To America - 04/06/06 04:22 AM

Have a great trip Sharon!

May the heavens smile upon your path in your trip!

-Taison out

Re: Coming To America - 04/06/06 08:52 AM

After having her sons sit her down and talk to her about the dangers of travelling alone, Sharon has safely boarded the plane and is on her way. I am a little concerned about picking her up though since it took Sharon and both her boys to load her suitcase into the taxi.

We will be relaxing tonight since she will be tired after a 14 hour day of travelling so no training tonight. We will probably head out for her first taste of American cuisine and then just kick back for a bit.

Tomorrow, she will be training with me at my WTF TaeKwonDo Dojang just to get a taste of TKD. Then, on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday of next week, my Sah Bum Nim (7th Dan) is hosting an Olympic Sparring seminar. His is the technical coach for the Iceland Olympic TKD Team. He has also coach other Olympic squads starting from Junior Olympic teams on up. One of his Icelandic students is ranked in the top 10 is his weight class in the world (might be top 5 but I am not sure). I have met him and he is incredibly fast and skilled.

Somewhere in there, Sharon will be training with me at a friend's Kung Fu studio, Silk Dragons Kung Fu under Sifu Shawn Smith (3rd Degree Black). And then later in the week, we will be off to train with MattJ's and my old Kenpo instructor Professor James Frederick (7th Dan).
Posted by: bo-ken

Re: Coming To America - 04/06/06 03:38 PM

I wish you were coming to Pennsylvania we are all cooler here. Joking of course but I hope you have fun Sharon. Take lots of pictures too.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: Coming To America - 04/06/06 10:13 PM

Can't wait to meet Sharon. Oh, and it'll be nice to see whatizname again, too.

It is taking every erg of control I have not to call Razor's residence and tell Sharon "I'M COMING OVER TO SPAR - BE READY" (as the 5 hour time difference would make it approx 3:15AM for poor, tired Sharon tee hee)

But I will restrain mysef......somehow.

Re: Coming To America - 04/06/06 10:26 PM

Too late. She is already tucked safely away to sleep in a secret government safehouse. As MattJ has implied, Sharon has arrived in the US safely and is exhausted from her 20 hour day including prep time, flight time, and running around with my son and me time.

After a good nights rest, we will visit my dojang, introduce her to my Sah Bum Nim, and get her a dobak and her TKD white belt. I have already started to show her some of the required poomse (patterns) and she obviously will be fine with the rest of the training. A little subtle fine tuning to get her doing TKD kicks Vs Wado kicks while she is training here. The dynamics will be a slight bit different but I am sure she will adapt quickly and easily.

She and my son had a ball together today when they met at the airport. We went shooping for a bit and while I ran into a side shop to get something for my son Dustin, she took him to get a slice of pizza next door. When I got back, they were having a grand old time.

So far, so good. And Matt, be afraid...be very afraid. She is a skilled fighter and very fast. I think I will let you spar her first so I can pick out some of her weak spots. You will be the raw meat I wave in front of the tiger to see if she jumps and how she jumps, lol.

Then I can come in when she is tired and deliver the finishing strike. Whaaaat??? I'm no dummy. LOL

Scottie

Re: Coming To America - 04/06/06 11:04 PM

Scottie, have you been paying attention to the Daily Art of War?
Posted by: Derik

Re: Coming To America - 04/06/06 11:25 PM

Have fun tkd is a great style

Re: Coming To America - 04/07/06 09:23 PM

As Scott said, I arrived safe and sound yesterday evening. He exagerates about my case which I carried myself and my total luggage amounted to only slightly more for 11 days than his did when he came to the UK for 4 days.

We have just got in from dinner, which we had after my first TKD class. It was great fun, and being deaf in one ear and understanding absolutely no Korean was a great excuse for not being particulartly good at it

Dinner was very good, although I am finding it hard to adapt to a country whose adult dinner servings weigh slightly more than I do If I lived here I would end up huge.

We are doing some more TKD tomorrow (or at least that's what Scott is doing, I will be doing my best to copy). I will see what I can do about getting some pictures up.
Sharon

Re: Coming To America - 04/07/06 09:26 PM

Things like this are what make these forums great.
Posted by: harlan

Re: Coming To America - 04/07/06 09:37 PM

I won't believe it's not all some elaborate hoax until I see some pics!
Posted by: JasonM

Re: Coming To America - 04/07/06 09:42 PM

Man, yall should visit VA..Norhtern VA which is about an hour and a half from where Razor lives..That is where I be...I wish I would have known, i might have swung by MD...:) Since I had to take my daughgter to her moms, in Bmore...
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: Coming To America - 04/07/06 11:02 PM

I agree...I want to see pics of Razor's 'Loooove Dojo'

Re: Coming To America - 04/07/06 11:16 PM

Quote:

As Scott said, I arrived safe and sound yesterday evening. He exagerates about my case which I carried myself and my total luggage amounted to only slightly more for 11 days than his did when he came to the UK for 4 days.

REEEEEEEAAAAAAALLLLLLLLY.......I seem to remember catching a bit of heat from Mr. Scott regarding how much I packed to go on our little cross-country adventure. Hmmmmmm....

Quote:

Dinner was very good, although I am finding it hard to adapt to a country whose adult dinner servings weigh slightly more than I do If I lived here I would end up huge.

Ha. Welcome to the USA!!!! Tell Scott to take you to the Cheesecake Factory and order.......anything. My wife and I went there and she got a chicken salad sandwich that could have fed any 4 Green Berets.

Quote:

We are doing some more TKD tomorrow (or at least that's what Scott is doing, I will be doing my best to copy). I will see what I can do about getting some pictures up.

Can't wait. Looking forward to seeing some Wado on Sunday! Hopefully you don't whine as much as Scott does when we spar. All the "OW! Stop hitting me, that hurts!" stuff from him was very annoying.......

Re: Coming To America - 04/08/06 08:32 AM

Actually, I was saying "Wow, stop hitting like a little girl and watch your skirt." I know those head shots you keep taking affect your hearing but you should really focus more. And it actually is quite distracting when you fight in women's clothing but hey, to each their own.

I didn't give you too much grief about your packing. I understand how important it is for you to travel with all your make-up, Depends (adult diapers), and your leg waxing kits. I know how much you like to look your best.

Sharon has asked that when you spar with her, can you refrain from tossing your home made biscuits at her as a distraction?

Thansk bud,

Scottie
Posted by: Raul Perez

Re: Coming To America - 04/08/06 05:02 PM

Hey Sharon,

Glad you made it to the states! Had I known you were comming I would have scheduled some time to see you

Take care of her boys!

My best!

Raul

Re: Coming To America - 04/10/06 09:56 AM

We have had a great couple of days. On Saturday we went to Scott's son's indoor soccer awards and after I met Scott's parents and his brother at their home. They are all very nice people and made me very welcome. His mum is a great cook.

Yesterday we started off with Scott showing me around Baltimore. We went to the harbour where we visited the science museum and then for lunch I sampled my first Maryland crab cake which was absolutely delicous.

After lunch we drove to Pensylvania to meet Matt and his wife Tammy. We had a very warm welcome and Tammy had baked some chocloate and walnut cookies which were some of the best I have ever tasted. I had been looking forward to sparring with Matt and Scott but we all got talking and were having such a good time that it got too late to do so, although we plan to later during my trip.

Whilst we played trivial pursuit, Matt served a crab dip that Tammy had made. It was so good that I could not stop eating and only stopped when a button popped off my jeans. Seriously, I gained around 14 pounds (deliberately) before my trip and I figure I have gained at least half that again during the few days I have been here.

Matt and Tammy are such lovely people and we had such a good time that we did not leave until around 1.30 am.

We did take some pictures which we will be posting later.

Today is the first day of the three day Olympic Sparring Seminar at Scott's TKD school which should be fun.

Re: Coming To America - 04/10/06 11:24 AM

Yes, we had a great time. And although sparring was not on the menu this time, other martial arts were practiced including:

* Feed-Sharon-till-her-pants-burst-jitsu

* Inappropriate sexual innuen-do, including blurring of traditional gender roles

* A harrowing demonstration of pure, frightening viciousness by my two cats towards Sharon (possibly exagerrated) FEEL THE FEAR!!!!!!!!

Seriously, we greatly enjoyed having Sharon and Scottie visit. Scottie and I did throw a couple of kicks at my heavy-bag, showing conclusively that Scottie can kick harder than I can.

We swapped embarassing stories for hours, and then played a tortuous game of Trivial Pursuit where Scottie showed us all how much smarter he is than everyone else.

Here is a photo of us from left to right being MattJ, MattJWife, RazorFoot and stillwadowoman. Click on the photo to enlarge.

Free Image Hosting at <a href=www.ImageShack.us" />

Re: Coming To America - 04/10/06 03:39 PM

Cool photo! Have fun guys!

-B

Re: Coming To America - 04/10/06 03:39 PM

Quote:

We went to the harbor

Fixed that for you, Sharon (per our previous conversation). Our country, our rules.

Re: Coming To America - 04/10/06 04:25 PM

Sharon, how about you fix Matt up.

Re: Coming To America - 04/10/06 04:41 PM

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9964/sharon19sk.jpg

fixed that for you matt.

Re: Coming To America - 04/10/06 05:06 PM

Far be it for me to correct Matt on pictures, especially since I screwed up a thread once, but when using ImageShack it is best to select "resize image" and use 640x480 (for message boards) and also select "remove size/resolution bar from thumbnail". BUT, for some reason sometimes this site wants to throw their website address attached to the picure. It doesn't always do this and I haven't figured out what it does but if you preview first and see it, just delete that part out of the attached file and it won't show up. Note, leave the " symbol and don't delete that or anything after it otherwise everything afterwards will be in blue ... from what I remember.

Re: Coming To America - 04/10/06 05:10 PM

I am using the thumbnails on purpose, to keep the thread loading quickly for those without hi-speed. But thanks for the thought. Just click the thumbnail to enlarge it.

Re: Coming To America - 04/10/06 05:15 PM

See ... what do I know? My apology your majesty.

Re: Coming To America - 04/10/06 06:59 PM

The first part of the three day Olympic Sparring course was great fun. I found it incredibly difficult as many things I would usually do in sparring are not allowed.

Scott's teacher, Master Parks, is very fast and accurate and also very good at putting across what he wants the students to do. I enjoyed myself very much and look forward to part 2 tomorrow.
Sharon
Posted by: oldman

Re: Coming To America - 04/10/06 09:51 PM

It sounds like you are all enjoying yourselves. Good food, fun,and friends. It is good to hear Matt is good at Trivial Pursuit. He sucked at Mystery Date.

Re: Coming To America - 04/11/06 12:55 AM

Oldman, Didn't Matt wind up with a studly guy to go to the prom with?

Since I am not very good at posting photos, Sharon has told me that she will help me to do it tomorrow. I will do my best to get some pictures of the seminar tomorrow so that we can post photos of that. It has been really interesting so far. Lots of footwork, combination, & faking drills. Didnt know I could sweat this much, lol.

We have the seminar continuing tomorrow, then I will be taking Sharon to have her first Northern Shaolin Kung Fu lesson with a Sifu who used to teach at Goh's Kung Fu when I trained there but has since opened her own studio. Sifu Shawn Smith is a very skilled instructor. MattJ has had the pleasure of training under her for few lessons as well.

We haven't managed to get a trip to DC in yet but we may be heading that way on Thursday of this week. I want to show her the museums and Capitol building. And since I am sure the FBI has been looking for her for some time now, they may give me some kind of reward for bringing her to town. CSI my a$$. Who needs them.

We will keep you posted and try to get some new photos on the thread as soon as possible.

Scottie

Re: Coming To America *DELETED* - 04/11/06 08:10 AM

[IMG]http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/787/gaymattinmittens0vs.th.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/1710/mummymattjtami7os.th.jpg[/IMG]

Re: Coming To America - 04/11/06 08:15 AM

All I've got to say is......damn I'm sexy.

Kitchen skills AND kick-ass skills!!!
Posted by: JohnL

Re: Coming To America - 04/11/06 08:17 AM

From the look of this picture Matt, you still have use of your right arm.

I don't see what the complaints were all about!!!!!!

Re: Coming To America - 04/11/06 08:30 AM

Quote:

From the look of this picture Matt, you still have use of your right arm.

I don't see what the complaints were all about!!!!!!

JohnL, normally I take stuff out of the oven Kung-Fu style with my forearms. (if you look closely, you can see the tiger and dragon on the baking dish). There are also the 108 dummies to pass on the way out of the kitchen, but I digress....

However, the gross deformity that is now my hand after your "demo" (really just plain cruelty, IMHO) had to be covered for decorum.

Yours in suffering,

Matt

Re: Coming To America - 04/11/06 09:25 AM

Hey Razor that would be great..It would be cool if ya could bring her by the Pentagon, since it is right next door. They have tours here all the time. I am sure yall are busy and trying to get in a lot of stuff but if that is possible to come by let me know. I could find the tour and stop by to say hello....Again, i am sure yall have a busy schedule, so just a thought...

Re: Coming To America - 04/11/06 09:49 AM

Sharon, the cats behind you look like they are up to no good....or did you manage to make it out of Matt's place without a scratch?

Re: Coming To America - 04/11/06 10:46 AM

Quote:

All I've got to say is......damn I'm sexy.

Here Matt, these should help you see what we see.

Free Image Hosting at

Re: Coming To America - 04/11/06 11:51 PM

We have had a great day today. We had lunch with Scott's lovely sister where I again ate far too much, I think the airline will charge me excess baggage for my ar$e on the return journey

I had more crab dip which I am now addicted to followed by crab cake which I am also now addicted to. Do you all think it OK that Scott keeps giving me crabs?

After lunch was day 2 of the TKD Olympic Sparring course. It was great fun and we have some good pictures which we will post tomorrow (too tired now).

This evening we trained with Sifu Shawn, at her Kung Fu School. Fantastic to see a senior female teacher, especially such a capable one. She trained us very hard and we had a great time. Again, we will post the pictures tomorrow. Both Sifu and her students were very welcoming and after class, Sifu and I exchanged stories about the extra challenges female martial artists in general and female instructors in particular face.

I am very tired and ache all over. Tomorrow is day 3 of the TKD sparring course and I am hoping I can stand and walk; being fit to train will be a bonus I am really enjoying the training and looking forward to tomorrow.
Sharon

Re: Coming To America - 04/12/06 12:11 AM

Quote:

Do you all think it OK that Scott keeps giving me crabs?

niiiice.
Posted by: eyrie

Re: Coming To America *DELETED* - 04/12/06 12:11 AM

Definitely too many crab cakes... OMG! Is that a "spare" tyre I see????

Re: Coming To America - 04/12/06 12:13 AM

Glad you guys are having fun. Keep us updated,enjoy!

Re: Coming To America - 04/12/06 12:26 AM

Crabs or no crabs, I am just happy she is enjoying herself. We have been having a lot of fun and the weather has been beautiful for her vacation or "Holiday" as they say in England.

I am also finding that the more we train together and spend time together, the more I am starting to talk like her. AAAAAAAAHHHH! She asked me a question the other day and my answer was "Quite". Quite??? What the Hell is that about? If I start saying I "fancy" having her here or use "fancy" in any context, someone shoot me please.

Today was a great workout. If we have been putting on weight with all the eating, todays classes certainly removed some of it. 2 hours of footwork drills and sparring followed by more exercises and kicks with Sifu Shawn Smith for about another hour. I am still bigger than I wish to be at the moment but something tells me that will change soon if I keep doing this.

AKK is next. I need to contact Professor Frederick to schedule the time with him but I have already talked to him about the fact that we are coming to train with him some day this week. I can not believe that her time here is half way gone already. It seems like just yesterday she was getting of the plane and calling me a Bahstird for what she had to go through to get in this country. Like it was my fault! Just kidding. She has apparently had a great time here thus far and I plan to try to keep that going.

Brad "Butterfly", we will do our best to get out to you soon. Both of us want to get more exposure to Ashihara Karate as soon as possible. The footwork alone is worth the trip but the added plus will be being able to spend time with you and your wonderful wife again. And Oldman, don't think I forgot about that invitation to come out anytime. We may just do that the next time Sharon plans a trip to the US. Good food, good friends, and good music(thanks to your son's great band) is always something to look forward to. That is, if the invitation is still good. Let me know.

Scottie

Re: Coming To America *DELETED* - 04/12/06 12:33 AM

Quote:

Definitely too many crab cakes... OMG! Is that a "spare" tyre I see????

I hope you are not implying that Sharon has put on weight? If so, then we will have to have a few words. I may have to call you out for the lady's honor sir! Prepare yourself! Super Soakers at ten paces and I am filling mine with tabasco sauce. Take that!

Scottie
Posted by: eyrie

Re: Coming To America *DELETED* - 04/12/06 12:55 AM

Hmmm.... quite.

I wasn't implying at all... I'm actually sayin...:-#

Shaz is a "big" girl and can defend her own honour...LOL.

Tabasco? Well fancy that! Is that the best you got? I drink tabasco sauce by the barrel.... but you stick to your tabasco... I'll be loading mine with my own special mix of Habeneros

Re: Coming To America *DELETED* - 04/12/06 10:24 AM

As promised, here are the pictures of yesterday for you all to see (except Eyrie

Lunch with Scott's sister
[IMG]http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/3091/sissharonme8xn.th.jpg[/IMG]

Sparring at TKD Dojang
[IMG]http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/9114/scottiepoint9bk.th.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/882/sharonandharryspar4jm.th.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/4761/sharonputsopponentthroughwall8.th.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/9557/fatdaddyandjohn5sm.th.jpg[/IMG]

Kung Fu with Sifu Shawn
[IMG]http://img131.imageshack.us/img131/8279/kungfusharon3ua.th.jpg[/IMG]

This guy is spinning the staff so fast that you can't actually see it in the picture
[IMG]http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/9572/spinningstealthstaff9ti.th.jpg[/IMG]

Sifu Shawn is in the red shirt
[IMG]http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/362/silkdragonsandguests7cd.th.jpg[/IMG]

Re: Coming To America *DELETED* - 04/12/06 10:49 AM

Good stuff. Looks like you guys (and lady) are having fun out there.

Looking fine as usual, Sharon.

Re: Coming To America *DELETED* - 04/12/06 10:58 AM

Great pictures!

Scottie, did Sifu Shawn move locations? I don't remember her school looking like that.

PS - Nice kicks Sharon!

Re: Coming To America - 04/13/06 10:19 AM

Yesterday was the last day of the 3 day TKD sparring course. I can barely move my legs and have a wonderful collection of bruises. For some bizarre reason, even though we worked mainly leg attacks, Scott's legs are fine but his arms hurt

I really enjoyed the course (although I really suck at most of the TKD techniques) and I have great respect for Scott's teacher Master Park. He really knows his stuff and I personally love his teaching style. This is a picture of those left at the end of the three days (there were more participants at the beginning ) [IMG]http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/8074/tkdgroup3gw.th.jpg[/IMG]

I joked about my weight and it's distribution on another thread, but it is true that I have gained 22.5 pound since October last year - the first 14 was deliberate but 10 pounds of it has piled on since I got here a week ago!! Good job we have been training so much!!
Sharon

Re: Coming To America *DELETED* - 04/13/06 11:54 AM

Quote:

Great pictures!

Scottie, did Sifu Shawn move locations? I don't remember her school looking like that.

PS - Nice kicks Sharon!

Yes, she has a store front now in Towson near Towson Marketplace that she uses. It is in the business park right across from the Applebees.

Re: Coming To America - 04/14/06 09:45 PM

I can't believe my time here is flying by so quickly - this is day 10 already!

Scott had to go into work today so I have been mostly resting, recovering from all the training. Yesterday was a regular lesson at Scott's TKD school for those of us that survived the 3 day course. I l brushed up on the first TKD pattern which I have been learning and Master Park asked me to show a few of my Wado kata. After the lesson Master Park was kind enough to take me aside and help me with the shifting kick I was having so much trouble with.

Earlier in the day we took Scott's son bowling with his teacher (a treat Scott won at a silent auction) and we all had a great time. [IMG]http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/7233/picture1126fi.th.jpg[/IMG]

Tomorrow is my last TKD lesson with Master Park, and in the afternoon we are going with Matt to meet and train with Victor Smith which I am very excited about. We will post pictures of that in the next couple of days.
Sharon
edited because I can't count

Re: Coming To America - 04/14/06 09:50 PM

Man thats wierd. You go bowling and you run into Tiger Woods.

Re: Coming To America - 04/14/06 10:33 PM

I was going to say Billy D. Williams....

Princess Leah, Lando & Son - nice picture.

http://www.tcnj.edu/~kolodzi3/portfolio/photos/lando_colt.jpg

Re: Coming To America - 04/16/06 10:28 AM

Wow! What a great day we had yesterday! First I had my last TKD lesson at Scott's school. I enjoyed it but was a bit sad to be saying goodbye after training there almost every day since I got here.

After lunch we drove to Matt and Tami's where we met Garrett (Ranger G). Ranger is a cool guy, it was great to meet him. We all drove to visit Victor Smith who was visiting with his father. The weather was great so we all sat outside and exchanged a brief summary of our MA history before Victor demonstrated a small portion of his knowledge. He demonstrated some bunkai to the Isshin Ryu Seisan and Chinto, showed us how he uses single knucle strikes and how to improve our balance through proper alignment by making a few (seemingly) minor adjustments.

[img=http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/7259/victorandscott4vn.th.jpg]

[img=http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/3714/victorandmatt9uc.th.jpg]

[img=http://img50.imageshack.us/img50/5093/victorandgarrett5tn.th.jpg]

Victor also performed some Tai Chi for us and demonstrated how it can be used as self defence

After we left Victor, Matt, Tami, Garret, Scott and I went to a restaurant where I tasted a local delicacy called Blooming Onion and then had steak.

http://img452.imageshack.us/my.php?image=allrestaurant4ub8gl.jpg

(Lto R Razorfoot, still wadowoman, MattJwife, MattJ, RangerG)
Not sure if I was fat enough yet, after we said goodbye to Garret, Matt and Tami took me to Dairy Queen. Oh my goodness - ice cream heaven!

Then it was back to their house where we talked for ages, watched old videos of Matt and Scott beating each other up and also we practiced some sticky hands. Matt and Scott are quite good at this but I think it's incredibly difficult.

[img=http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/4844/sandmstickyhands0od.th.jpg]

I stuffed a few more of Tami's delicous cookies before we said goodbye (only to be polite, you understand )

I really was sorry to say goodbye to Matt and Tami, they are wonderful people and great hosts. I feel like I have known them for years.
Sharon

Matt, for some reason I cannot upload any pictures of me with Victor, any of him doing Tai Chi or one of the whole group of us at Victor's. Will you try with yours please?

editedto fix link

Re: Coming To America - 04/16/06 10:37 AM

From the looks of the photo in the restaraunt...The bloomin' onion didn't stand a chance. Poor [Email]b@stard.[/Email] Also the photos answered a question that I've pondered since I was a kid... "What does Santa do for the other 364 days of the year?". Appearantly he delivers nerve strikes and cavity presses to all the little boys who were on the naughty list. It seems being a nice guy has once again turned around to bite me on the a$$.
Posted by: RangerG

Re: Coming To America - 04/16/06 11:34 AM

Oldman..it was TWO Blooming Onions..and no, they did not stand a chance...

I can say with honesty, I walked away yesterday with more skills than some seminars I have paid good money for. Mr. Smith is the Grand Master of understatement... I was blown away by his skills and teaching methods. I intend to keep the little gems of information and technique I learned yesterday to myself.

Sharon was the vision of an Angel, albet an inked (swoon) and very dangerous Angel... It was a signal honor to meet this very skilled and personable lady. I cannot wait for her to jump the puddle again to work weapons disarms and learn some of her style. When she found out I owned a real Scottish Great Kilt and could speak with a Scottish Burr...ah..but that is a story for another day...

I had been waiting for over a year to meet Razorfoot, and whilst a friend of MattJ's (I overlooked that), he is one intimidating guy. Nice as heck...but those shoulders and arms send a clear warning... I think "WMD" would be a more appropriate screen name.

All in all, a great day and evening. I regret I could not stay for Dairy Queen as I had a two hour ride back home on the Harley.

Like all fightingarts get togethers, this has been both a social pleasure, and an educational experience.

Re: Coming To America - 04/16/06 11:42 AM

Quote:

"What does Santa do for the other 364 days of the year?". Appearantly he delivers nerve strikes and cavity presses to all the little boys who were on the naughty list.

Yes.He.Does....and it appears I was on the naughty list too..a well earned member of the naughty list I might add..

The nerve strikes to the arm tickled a a bit...

Re: Coming To America - 04/16/06 11:58 AM

Victor is a wealth of MA knowledge. He showed us some very subtle stuff that really made quite a difference in application. Proper body alignment is key. Amazing what a big difference some small adjustments can make.

Victor also showed us some painful nerve strikes, and a vicious Tai Chi body shot that almost put RazorFoot on the ground. He showed some interesting uses for chambers in Kata that were very reminiscent of what I know as "reverse motion" in AKK, which I have never seen used in any other art.

Victor is not a nice guy , however, and taunted us cruelly with a lack of explanation to his mysterious body alignment techniques. He dared us to "talk about it.....you won't be able to figure it out." Despite discussing it on the way to the restaurant and afterwards, he was right. CURSE YOU VICTORRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

I will upload pictures tomorrow, with more details from the day as my dinosaur home dial-up takes too long. A great time once again!
Posted by: Shouji

Re: Coming To America - 04/16/06 07:05 PM

Any clips to go with that?

Also, what style is Victor i n?

Re: Coming To America - 04/16/06 07:08 PM

Quote:

I had been waiting for over a year to meet Razorfoot, and whilst a friend of MattJ's (I overlooked that), he is one intimidating guy. Nice as heck...but those shoulders and arms send a clear warning... I think "WMD" would be a more appropriate screen name.

OK, have to ask Garret: WMD? Wicked Mother Ducker? That was the cleanest one we came up with What does it stand for?
Sharon
Posted by: Raul Perez

Re: Coming To America - 04/16/06 07:21 PM

Quote:

OK, have to ask Garret: WMD? Wicked Mother Ducker? That was the cleanest one we came up with What does it stand for?
Sharon

LMAO... silly Weapons of Mass Destruction. Heard non-stop through out this retarded Bush Administration.

Re: Coming To America - 04/16/06 07:37 PM

sounds like everyone had fun!

Re: Coming To America - 04/16/06 08:41 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Sharon

Weapons of Mass Destruction...c'mon..Scottie is built like a tank...

Re: Coming To America - 04/16/06 08:44 PM

Quote:

Victor also showed us some painful nerve strikes,

Painful?

Re: Coming To America - 04/16/06 11:17 PM

Quote:

Weapons of Mass Destruction...c'mon..Scottie is built like a tank...

Yes he is and...........insert smutty inuendo of your choice here
Sharon

Re: Coming To America - 04/17/06 02:35 AM

Oh well ....no smutty pun, but glad you all had a chance to meet up and have some fun!

Sounds like a treat for one and all.
Posted by: Cord

Re: Coming To America - 04/17/06 03:41 AM

Awesome stuff.
Sharon, if you need a 'blooming onion' fix when you get back to blighty, they sell them in a chain restaurant called 'Chille's' (their all over the south of england). They call them an 'awesome blossom'. They dont taste half as good as when you have them stateside, but they are still 'bloomin' marvellous

I am also impressed that you even went near any biscuit related products in MJ's house- even the Octagon would hold no terrors for you judging by this act of bravery

Great thread guys, thanks for taking the time to share the whole thing with us
Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: Coming To America - 04/17/06 06:52 AM

Lovely posts guys and gals, keep it coming.

its nice to put faces to names and see that everyone is having a great time!

I look forward to meeting you on your return Sharon at the UK gathering.

Re: Coming To America - 04/17/06 11:42 AM

OK, here are some more pictures, with captions below the link -

http://img418.imageshack.us/my.php?image=group15nb.jpg

From left to right - RazorFoot (Scottie), Victor Smith, MattJ, stillwadowoman (Sharon), RangerG (Garrett)

http://img149.imageshack.us/my.php?image=group22rj.jpg

http://img296.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scottiematt11fs.jpg

The blind leading the blind

http://img296.imageshack.us/my.php?image=victorgarrett16pf.jpg

http://img149.imageshack.us/my.php?image=victormatt13nm.jpg

Note my poker face

http://img296.imageshack.us/my.php?image=victorscottie39zw.jpg

http://img296.imageshack.us/my.php?image=victorsharon34jy.jpg

http://img149.imageshack.us/my.php?image=victormatt31im.jpg

Victor tries to turn me into a lawn mower

http://img149.imageshack.us/my.php?image=victormatt48kk.jpg

Note my look of complete understanding

http://img296.imageshack.us/my.php?image=victormatt53be.jpg

http://img296.imageshack.us/my.php?image=victorscottie15cu.jpg

TANGO!!!!!

http://img296.imageshack.us/my.php?image=victorscottie24de.jpg

http://img149.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sharonusa10qe.jpg

http://img296.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sharonmatt14kw.jpg

http://img149.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sharonmatt20fx.jpg

Note my control of the Chi Sao session

http://img296.imageshack.us/my.php?image=sharonmatt68hs.jpg

Note her fear

Re: Coming To America - 04/17/06 12:37 PM

Great pictures Matt.

For the rest of the forum, I have to comment on the Chi Sao pictures. Matt and Scott have both worked on this a lot and are pretty good at it. I really suck at it. The pictures show Matt allowing me to work on what he was teaching me, not me doing better than him - at least not this time

Scott and I had a fun day yesterday at Six Flags theme park and are going to spend today relaxing before I catch my flight tonight. Actually, Scott is so relaxed he has gone back to sleep - he seems to be really tired all the time this past week and a half. He is obviously not used to so much training and excercise
Sharon

Re: Coming To America - 04/17/06 12:50 PM

For gods sake Sharon, have mercy. He's only one man!

Re: Coming To America - 04/17/06 12:56 PM

Awesome pics...Looks like yall had a blast..I am hoping the last weekend of this month Ranger and I can hook up. I am going to a tourney in NJ and would love to stop by and visit good ole ranger for some krav training...

btw, great shirt ranger.
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Coming To America - 04/17/06 01:13 PM

MattJ,

It was a real pleasure to meet you (and your wife), Razor, Wadowoman and Ranger G on Saturday. I'm sorry we didn't have more time, perhaps it will work out better on a future visit down to Red Lion.

Earlier in the day I had actually taught the Goju kata Saifa to Don Gladfelter's Shotokan East in York, Pa., and it made for a very busy Saturday.

You may feel free to curse me as much as you need to, <GRIN>, about the body alignment, unfortunately it's not a quick study, and long term development (as I practice it) really concides with kata practice and study.

I realize I was sort of shotgunning a few martial concepts and not presenting much in a coherent manner, but first meetings bridge the gap what we have in common. Most of my work is directly tied into the Isshinryu and Yang Tai Chi Chaun studies I practice, and to extract them for others training isn't something I've focused on a great deal.

But if I've given you something to think about, that's ok too (Been there and done that more than a few times myself).

And for anyone making cracks about me looking like Santy, well I might have a prize up my bag for you <GRIN>

Re: Coming To America - 04/17/06 01:16 PM

Re: Coming To America - 04/17/06 02:08 PM

OK. I'm a dead man.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Re: Coming To America - 04/17/06 02:25 PM

oh dang.....too funny...

Re: Coming To America - 04/17/06 02:26 PM

LMAO!!!!

I don't know who you're more dead from, though. RazorFoot as an elf? BWAHAHA!!!!

This has been a great week for me, getting to see so many of the forum members. I have to give big props to my lovely wife for putting up with a bunch of martial arts nuts for so long. She really helped to make it a great time by being very hospitable, making delicious treats and doing camera duty when I'm sure she was bored to tears. She's the best!

It was really great to meet Sharon. She is a funny, intelligent lady with a soft heart and a vicious reverse punch. My wife absolutley loved her, and kept demanding that Sharon move here IMMEDIATELY.

Can't wait for her to come back, so we can weigh each other and she can check my nipples (?) again. Hey....I just realized I never got to check hers!

I promise we'll have plenty of "purple" tea for you, Sharon!

Re: Coming To America - 04/17/06 02:40 PM

Oldman,
One of the funniest thing I have ever seen - I nearly wet my knickers laughing. I will never be able to take Scott seriously if he ever wears anything green

Matt,
I agree, Tami is the greatest. I would marry her for the crab dip and cookies alone, even if she wasn't such a terrific person. I look forward to our next "weigh in" although I am suprised you chose to mention the whole dodgy nipple subject on a public forum lol @ the purple tea, and don't tell people I have a soft heart - that was top secret
Sharon

Re: Coming To America - 04/17/06 03:03 PM

Hey, where is the one of MattJ as a Christmas Fairy? He spent a lot of time on that costume and deserves equal time on the thread. Sure the skirt and wings were a bit much but he deserves to be seen just from the time spent sewing alone.

Oh, and dont make any comments about his magic wand. He is a little sensitive about that.

Scottie

Re: Coming To America - 04/17/06 03:05 PM

Good stuff all of you. This personal side I enjoy and helps me to understand each of you better. Oldman at his tricks again ... I wish I knew how to do that ... funny as all can be.

Envious that you all took the time to see each other. Perhaps one day I will get a chance to reach out and touch ... punch ... throw ... sweep somebody.

- Two thumbs up for you guys.

Re: Coming To America - 04/17/06 03:17 PM

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Re: Coming To America - 04/17/06 03:30 PM

HA HA HA HA. I see you didn't touch Sharon with this ... hmmm. Matt as a yellow chicken ... SWEET. Ranger ... a duck? Scottie as the Easter Bunny ... what did he leave for Sharon? Perhaps a little chocolate something?

Re: Coming To America - 04/17/06 03:37 PM

I figure as long as I stay west of the Missippi I'll be fine...maybe.
Posted by: MattJWife

Re: Coming To America - 04/17/06 03:52 PM

ROFLMFAO!

Glad I was taking all the pictures and not in any of them. I could only imagine what character I might have been. Although I know MattJ is not a chicken... the suit was appropriate as he does have some chicken legs! BUCK BUCK BAAAGAAH!

Re: Coming To America - 04/17/06 03:58 PM

Mark,

Those were Swwwweeet!

Re: Coming To America - 04/17/06 04:02 PM

Quote:

ROFLMFAO!

Glad I was taking all the pictures and not in any of them. I could only imagine what character I might have been. Although I know MattJ is not a chicken... the suit was appropriate as he does have some chicken legs! BUCK BUCK BAAAGAAH!

It's always nice to know the the professional level of respect I get here is matched at home.......

Oldman -

I think you had Scottie in the wrong suit. From what I hear, it was closer to Valentine's day than Easter here in MD.

Dereck -

"something chocolate"

Re: Coming To America - 04/17/06 05:10 PM

Quote:

Oldman -

I think you had Scottie in the wrong suit. From what I hear, it was closer to Valentine's day than Easter here in MD.

Dereck -

"something chocolate"

I felt there was something more but I wasn't going to say it.
Posted by: gojuwarrior1

Re: Coming To America - 04/17/06 06:09 PM

You crazy oldman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: Victor Smith

Re: Coming To America - 04/17/06 08:16 PM

Oldman,

Ohhhhh I really look forward to meeting you. I have a couple of really nice gifts for you in my bag, let the others comment on that.........

And Razorfoot might have something in his name for you too.

Of course I really don't know much.

Re: Coming To America - 04/17/06 08:16 PM

Quote:

I figure as long as I stay west of the Missippi I'll be fine...maybe.

For those who wish to communicate with Oldman, his mail is being forwarded to the ICU department at the Mayo Clinic....

Re: Coming To America - 04/17/06 08:54 PM

Well, our lovely English lass is back on her away across the ocean. I just dropped her off at the airport and made sure all was well before saying goodbye for a bit. I am sure she will be back soon or I will be back in the UK soon. We will have to see how it goes. If she is a good little girl, I am sure I will see her at Christmas time, lol.

It was spectacular having her over here and my family and friends have all fallen in love with her. I can't say I blame them. She is a pretty spectacular person.

I think she actually is planning on training in WTF TKD when she gets back home to England. She had a great time here at my school and showed quite a talent for it although she would state differently if she were on line. Best part about that is, she won't be on line for quite a few hours so I get to tell you all the good stuff before she gets back, BWAAAAHAHAHAHA. Maybe that isn't such a good idea after all.

We had a great time today also. We played a few video games with my son this morning which showed me why Sharon prefers MA's to video games. One she excels at and the other...well...lets just say that she is no risk to break any high scores at this time. You know it is pretty bad when the character you are playing taps on the screen and says "Hey lady, can you give your controller to the little kid or at least put your glasses on? I'm dying here!" Yeah...surprised me too. It is amazing what they are doing with AI in these games lately, lol.

After that we took my son to spend the rest of the day with his grandparents. They missed him because he had spent a good but of his Easter break with Sharon and me. I had to get a little rest after that and then she and I had our last dinner together before her trip home. She still can't get enough of our Maryland crabs. Go ahead and say it. I gave her crabs one last time before she went home and she loved it.

I was glad that she had such a good time and that all my closest friends and my family really did enjoy spending time with her. But in all honesty, what's not to like. She is quite incredible.

Well got to run. I am pulling double duty this year as both an elf and the Easter Bunny so my calendar is a little full. I will never be able to wear green again without visualizing that picture in my mind, THE AGONY! Oh the Horror! Scarred at such a young age.

Thanks for sharing our visit everyone and thanks to all that made it what is was. MattJ, Tami, Ranger G, Victor Smith, Master Park, Sifu Shawn Smith, and everyone else who was gracious and kind enough to post and read here with us. You have all made her stay here in the USA a wonderful experience.

Remember, she cant read this for another 9 or 10 hours so feel free to take jabs or pokes at her now while she is defenseless...I mean be sure to let her know just how much we missed her while she was travelling. Yeah, that's what I meant.

Scottie

Re: Coming To America - 04/17/06 09:26 PM

RiZZA,
I hope you guys will be able to forgive me. You all know what the problem is. Just ask DaDon..." IM Jes jelius at U guys cus you R spacial n im snot". I admit it i'm green with envy. There were alot of my favorite forum folk in one place and I wasn't there. So guys throw me a bone... cut me some slack... give me a break. On second thought no "breaks" please.

Re: Coming To America - 04/17/06 10:19 PM

Would have loved to have had you here. Still trying to get StillWado out to still see ya.

Scottie

Re: Coming To America - 04/17/06 10:47 PM

oldman, you certainly aren't looking to be an olderman, are you.

Everyone, I didn't laugh at the photos.... no, really.

Re: Coming To America - 04/17/06 11:50 PM

Sounds like you guys (and gal) had a great time up there.

oldman, it keeps getting better.

Re: Coming To America - 04/18/06 01:56 AM

Scottie, I hope you gave her a kiss good-bye for all of us.

Re: Coming To America - 04/18/06 08:05 AM

Quote by RazorFoot -

Quote:

Scarred at such a young age.

While I agree that you are in great shape for your age, 65 is starting to get up there....

Posted by: shoshinkan

Re: Coming To America - 04/18/06 09:07 AM

Good work guys and gals, it was top stuff reading what was going on and all your capers!!!!!!!!!!

I hope to meet Sharon soon at the FA get together - May 13th. (along with several other forum members)

We in the UK also get together and I think its a nice way to train from time to time, it shows a real posative side to the forum - I have met several good people already and hope to meet more as we bumble along.

Its also nice to correspond with people worldwide (if we cant meet ) I now have a network of Seniors whom I can discuss ideas and research - top draw, back of the net......!

Re: Coming To America - 04/18/06 09:14 AM

I am safely back at home now and missing Maryland already. It is great to see my boys, the youngest ran out and picked me up, nearly breaking my ribs and was closely followed by the eldest who had me in a choke/hug.

We are all off now to collect my daughter from her dad's, I can't wait to see her. This was the longest I have ever been without them since the eldest was born 17 years ago. In fact I missed them so much I didn't shout (too much) about the state of my house

I would like to echo Scott in thanking all those who helped make my trip so memorable, it really was fantastic meeting you all and I can hardly wait to get back over there.

I have been awake now for around 36 hours and am due to teach in 3 hours time! After that I intend to sleep for a loooooong time

Thanks again to everyone.
Sharon
ps Derek, you are slow

Re: Coming To America - 04/18/06 10:55 AM

Quote:

ps Derek, you are slow

Yes, but at least I'm something if not anything.

Take care and get some sleep.

Re: Coming To America - 04/18/06 02:18 PM

Quote:

Quote by RazorFoot -

Quote:

Scarred at such a young age.

While I agree that you are in great shape for your age, 65 is starting to get up there....

You are correct sir and should know seeing as you are my senior.

Re: Coming To America - 04/18/06 03:32 PM

Quote:

Well, our lovely English lass is back on her away across the ocean. I just dropped her off at the airport and made sure all was well before saying goodbye for a bit. I am sure she will be back soon or I will be back in the UK soon. We will have to see how it goes. If she is a good little girl, I am sure I will see her at Christmas time, lol.
Scottie

So oldman was right! You are a Christmas Elf
Sharon

Re: Coming To America - 04/18/06 04:21 PM

Quote:

Scottie, I hope you gave her a kiss good-bye for all of us.

Are you kidding?? The aircraft boarding staff were forced to use crowbars to pry them apart...it created quite a public scene!

When Sharon pops on over again, I'm going to loan Scottie my kilt

Re: Coming To America - 04/18/06 06:18 PM

Quote:

When Sharon pops on over again, I'm going to loan Scottie my kilt

Probably not a good idea. A "stiff" wind or Sharon's physical closeness could make all of those in the vacinity very uncomfortable.