The Right Handed Swing

Posted by: Shouji

The Right Handed Swing - 02/25/06 01:04 AM

My friend recently introduced me to hours of high school fights from the internet, such as youtube, eBaumsworld, bad-bad...

And I noticed one thing with most high schoolers.

The person to through the first punch. . .

. . .will 90% of the time, through a poorly, unorthodoxed right-handed punch. Now i'm not saying these punchs will tickle, but i'm guessing that any martial artist who gets in a situation like this can see a punch like that come from a mile away.

Go on one of these sites and just watch some. Besides proving my point, they are quite entertaining.
Posted by: Ed_Morris

Re: The Right Handed Swing - 02/25/06 01:18 AM

I agree. are you planning to get into specific defenses for it, or do you want the thread to take another course? as in talking about HAOV?
Posted by: Cord

Re: The Right Handed Swing - 02/25/06 01:24 AM

In theory, a right swing is an easy thing to counter. It certainly is when your expecting it, but a 'sucker punch' is called that for a reason, and as Barnam said about suckers 'there's one born every minute'

Its not just school fights that start like this, most aggressive unarmed encounters begin with a shove or a right hander. If you are quick, or you can see it winding up, then there are numerous things you can do, but be prepared for it to go wrong.
There is a clip on the internet of rock star Glenn Danzig (allegedly a JKD instructor under Jerry Poteet) completely mistiming a block to a good right swing. He dropped hard, like anyone with any level of training tends to do when a big right lands on their jaw.

Also, never rely on this as a 'given' in a confrontation. If it were me, i would be throwing my left (i'm a southpaw) so your 'standardised' evasive reaction would lead your unguarded face right on to my fist- thanks!

Every situation must be considered unknown and your system of dealing with them must reflect that. There are plenty of books/manuals on dealing with attack, but strangely, no books designed to give advice to attackers, so they tend to make stuff up as they go along
Posted by: Shouji

Re: The Right Handed Swing - 02/25/06 01:31 AM

There are so many counters to the RH punch, it's not even funny. Should I palm the nose, jab the throat, elbow punch his cheeks. . .etc.

So many way's

EDIT: I guess the purpose of this thread was for me to just simply let this off my chest, and just simply point this out. Knowledge is knowledge.
Posted by: Street_Poet

Re: The Right Handed Swing - 02/25/06 02:10 AM

Quote:

Should I palm the nose, jab the throat, elbow punch his cheeks. . .etc.

i'd just move out of the way, i would never OFFENSIVELY go INTO an over-the-top right hand swing from an opponent, cuz truth be told i have no idea how strong my opponent's punch is, and the risk of it connecting is not one i would be willing to take. so i'd just bob n weave/step back. after that its just a chess match.
Posted by: Dauragon c mikado

Re: The Right Handed Swing - 02/25/06 06:35 AM

Perfect opportunity for an arm lock.
He swings, you counter, he whines, situation resolved unless he wants a funny looking arm.
Posted by: Leo_E_49

Re: The Right Handed Swing - 02/25/06 08:45 AM

Hip throw. My fave counter to the RH punch in sparring, they almost never expect you to clinch from a punch. Then bang! They're on the floor.

Also, there's not much punching they can do from in the clinch, specially if you've got their arms tied up. Elbows and knees are another matter though.
Posted by: MattJ

Re: The Right Handed Swing - 02/25/06 09:19 AM

Nice one Leo. Clinch is one of my favorites, assuming the initial punch from the opponent didn't knock me TFO.
Posted by: 1neikoot

Re: The Right Handed Swing - 02/25/06 01:08 PM

basically, keep your distance. You only get sucker punched because your too close for comfort, you can see the guys mouth rattling, and your not really paying attention.
Posted by: Isshinryukid4life

Re: The Right Handed Swing - 02/25/06 02:25 PM

Quote:

There are so many counters to the RH punch, it's not even funny. Should I palm the nose, jab the throat, elbow punch his cheeks. . .etc.

I'm not so sure that would work even with a wild punch,It definetly would'nt work if a straight punch were coming your direction.

How, to defend yourself againts a straight or wild punch,Depends on what you & your adversary's posistion is,It also depends on the distance or angle of were the punch is thrown.

For example,I'm 6ft 4inc,& If i were to defend myself againts a RT wild punch,then I would twist my hips & turning my fett into a 45 degree seisan & cross arm hammer smash to the bicep &/or lower part of the arm.
Now this would work if this attacker were around that same size as myself,However if this thug were 4inc taller than me,I doubt that this same technique would work at all.

Cheers!
Posted by: Taison

Re: The Right Handed Swing - 02/25/06 10:31 PM

I don't know, everytime I get confronted with the RH swing, I always counter with a front thrust-kic, "teeb", and go for a tackle NFL style and then go for a choke. I hate pro-longed fights and if it's a self-defense situation, I rather be sure than sorry.

Still, a leg is longer than an arm. Kick if he punch.

-Taison out

Re: The Right Handed Swing - 02/26/06 12:02 AM

Refur to jkd.
Posted by: thisguy

Re: The Right Handed Swing - 02/26/06 02:23 AM

regardless of the situation, i abide by the old sang of 'id rather be tried by twelve than buried by six'

Re: The Right Handed Swing - 02/26/06 08:56 AM

Munin-muso
Posted by: Ares278

Re: The Right Handed Swing - 03/01/06 02:44 PM

Well i haven't been doing MA for long but i have been in situations where i have been confronted with a RH swing and i have used a RH swing on a aggressor. And to me a good RH swing is way harder to block/counter/dodge then you would accept, especially when you are pumped with adrenalin and everything just happens in a split second, all without noticing you got a fist to your right cheek. i am just saying all those moves and drills we practise everyday can all go out of our heads when anger and adrenalin takes over.
Posted by: yamig

Re: The Right Handed Swing - 03/01/06 03:06 PM

I live in an area where a good amount of people have some experience in boxing, so it wouldn't do good for me to expect just a typical untrained right hand swing.

Course, thats just another reason why its usually better to avoid confrontation...and to train in running, lol.
Posted by: TwistingKick

Re: The Right Handed Swing - 03/01/06 04:57 PM

Quote:

Well i haven't been doing MA for long but... i am just saying all those moves and drills we practise everyday can all go out of our heads when anger and adrenalin takes over

Isn't that why most people practice so much, for so long??
In order for the defensive responses to become second nature, similar to the initial flinch most untrained people have when a punch is thrown at them.